MS "Resolution not important"

• 117 results
#1 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

I am sorry but I had to post this. First we had these downsized rumors which are getting more and more true and now basically Microsoft confirms this themselves.

Forza Motorsport 5 will run at 60 frames per second

, Microsoft Studios corporate vice president Phil Spencer has told Edge magazine.

Confirmation of the smooth frame rate will come as a great relief to series fans who have been left wondering since the game's announcement last month.

Official word came as the Microsoft Studios chief revealed there will be no minimum performance requirements (such as resolution or frame rate) set for games released on Xbox One.

"There were games that shipped on 360 that were less than 720p," said Spencer. "It's important we give creators the best tools to create the best experience possible and I don't think that platform holders can dictate what the internal frame buffer size should be.

"Forza 5 runs at 60 frames per second, but other people will make different trade-offs. I think it's important - maybe because I'm a studio guy - that you give freedom to the creator because today, through lighting techniques and post effects, resolution is not the thing that maximises beauty

."

Spencer concluded: "Some of the most beautiful games of this generation are not dictated by how many pixels they're pushing to the screen. Motion blur, antialiasing, lighting: all of these things come into play. We just give developers the tools and let them make the right creative decisions

."

http://www.videogamer.com/xboxone/forza_motorsport_5/news/forza_5_will_run_at_60_frames_per_second_confirms_microsoft.html

Holy shit. Seriously Microsoft what did happen during the development?

edit: For people who want to catch up with the newest almost confirmed infos:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=576869

#2 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1849 posts) -

Darji plz

plz

#3 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11456 posts) -

You know, I'm fine with the frame rate stuff. 30 FPS is fine for most games.

But come on. This is two thousand and god damned thirteen. Not even requiring 720P? GARBAGE!

#4 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

It's a true statement.

#5 Posted by believer258 (12105 posts) -

Hmm... clarity and framerate are more important, to me, than effects and motion blur and lighting, etc., since a few years from now those things will be outshined by the newest game that has better lighting, effects, etc., but a game that runs at 1080p and 60 FPS will always run at 1080p 60FPS.

I didn't think for a second that 720p would suddenly be obsolete and archaic, especially since developers in general seem to care more about those "lighting techniques, post effects", etc. than they do about resolution and framerate. Maybe 60FPS will become a standard this generation, and 1080p will become standard next gen?

#6 Posted by DeathByWaffle (646 posts) -

So what are we supposed to be mad about again?

#7 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

Why mad? Just laugh a bit. There is nothing here to be mad about.

#8 Posted by DarthOrange (3878 posts) -
#9 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1849 posts) -

@darji said:

@deathbywaffle said:

Why mad? Just laugh a bit. There is nothing here to be mad about.

Beacuse im sure you were laughing the whole time you typed this out the second you saw this is the last thread eh, baby?

#10 Posted by Demoskinos (15111 posts) -

Darji Thread.

#11 Posted by DarthOrange (3878 posts) -

Since we are just ripping things off gaf and posting them here:

I am still in shock at how big of a clusterfuck this is.

The worst most, mis-communicated reveal in game industry history other than maybe Saturn.
Once every 24 hour internet check just to be able to continue to play your games
A horrendous proprietary used game system that gives pubs and Microsoft a 10% of the profits, thus ensuring the deals one can get on Used games are reduced and having less options for every gamer
Complete inability to rent, lend or borrow games without paying a "fee", since every game must be installed. And the fee is the price of a brand new game, which Phil Harrison tells us to "think of it like a new game", because he is an abominable retard.
Complete fucking tall tales and fabrications regarding the "Infinite Power of Cloud" which they did because...
...their system is a woefully underpowered trojan horse arbitrarily increased in price because of...
...a piece of shit dead-end gaming technology called "Kinect 2.0" which on top of being complete garbage for most genres, also is packed in with every system and...
...is also a horrendous invasion of privacy since it cannot be shut off without unplugging the system.
A console which is also, after all this time, having massive eSRAM yield issues because Microsoft is caught rushing the One to the market.
And they wasted their reveal talking about TV, TV, TV, TV, TV to do a function that nobody in their right mind would do if they had a DVR, to talk about sports and Kinect and have only two real games at their reveal.
And is now liberally peppering all their attacks with a unhealthy dose of aggressive arrogance.

DID I MISS ANYTHING GUYZ? Because holy goddamn shit at this point. This has been without exception the most biblical epic failure of console reveals, even topping the PS3's $599.99 just for its sheer confounding, aimless nonsense since the beginning of 2013. Not a single day has passed by without some relentless bit of tortuously negative Xbox One news.

The kicker? This is ALL Microsoft's fault and they should have seen the reaction coming a mile away since the problems they introduced of their own free will has been eviscerated among gamers and the press for years now, to say nothing of things like the Sim City or Diablo III debacle.

The proof is in the pudding. Holy goddamn fuck

Is that what you want to see happen here? (comment comes courtesy of Amir0x on gaf)

#12 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1849 posts) -

Darji Thread.

At this point it could see him becoming a charming character to replace Jay or something. (God rest his Soul)

#13 Edited by Cirdain (3112 posts) -

@darji: He didn't say resolution wasn't important completely. He said it wasn't important relative to other stuff.

That's alright, it's fine. No need for this thread.

#15 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1849 posts) -

@zacagawea said:

I can't tell you how sick I am of seeing your threads and posts. It's actively making me want to visit the forums less.

Okay even for me thats a bit harsh

#17 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1849 posts) -

@darji said:

@zacagawea said:

I can't tell you how sick I am of seeing your threads and posts. It's actively making me want to visit the forums less.

I am sorry if you cant take news.

Hoo boy

#18 Edited by DarthOrange (3878 posts) -

@darji said:

@zacagawea said:

I am sorry if you cant take news.

Bitte einfach aufhören

#19 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

Ok guys here is the thing.

We are very close to E3 and news are coming in every hour and why not post them? Why should we ignore all the stuff? For example today i posted more than the Microsoft stuff. But Microsoft right now is a hot topic. Either deal with it or not. It does not help to come into a thread and try to attack me or other people.

#20 Edited by ArtelinaRose (1859 posts) -

@zacagawea said:

Okay even for me thats a bit harsh

A one trick pony can wear out its welcome very, very quickly.

#21 Posted by believer258 (12105 posts) -

@demoskinos said:

Darji Thread.

At this point it could see him becoming a charming character to replace Jay or something. (God rest his Soul)

He has neither the mastery of stupidity that Jay had nor the power of nonsense and dick-ishness that whyareyoucrouchingspock had. Eh, he's just kind of like the forum version of yellow journalism. I was going to say something to him about never posting something positive or constructive several posts ago, but I didn't want to look like a jerk (for once). It seems like most people are doing that for me.

#22 Edited by zudthespud (3283 posts) -

I would rather have 60fps than 720p for most games.

#23 Posted by triple07 (1198 posts) -

This is fucking hilarious. Not the thing about the Xbox One I didn't bother reading it, but the fact that this is like the 15th thread with this same concept the same user has created.

#24 Posted by dsi1 (171 posts) -

It's like they don't hear the words coming out of their mouths.

#25 Edited by Animasta (14718 posts) -

@darji said:

We are very close to E3 and news are coming in every hour and why not post them? Why should we ignore all the stuff? For example today i posted more than the Microsoft stuff. But Microsoft right now is a hot topic. Either deal with it or not. It does not help to come into a thread and try to attack me or other people.

do you not get how annoying seeing like 3 threads a day or something by the same guy shaming xbox for some dumb thing they said is?

Like there's news and then there's this.

#26 Edited by jayjonesjunior (1094 posts) -

Gran Turismo 5 for ran 1080p @ 60FPS. Gran Turismo 6 will probably be the same and they are both PS3 games.

@mooseymcman said:

You know, I'm fine with the frame rate stuff. 30 FPS is fine for most games.

But come on. This is two thousand and god damned thirteen. Not even requiring 720P? GARBAGE!

30FPS is not fine for a racing simulation.

Hmm... clarity and framerate are more important, to me, than effects and motion blur and lighting, etc., since a few years from now those things will be outshined by the newest game that has better lighting, effects, etc., but a game that runs at 1080p and 60 FPS will always run at 1080p 60FPS.

I didn't think for a second that 720p would suddenly be obsolete and archaic, especially since developers in general seem to care more about those "lighting techniques, post effects", etc. than they do about resolution and framerate. Maybe 60FPS will become a standard this generation, and 1080p will become standard next gen?

1080p will become a standard for the PS4 since it won't suck.

#27 Posted by SomeJerk (3364 posts) -

I'll take a next generation racer running polycounts and technical quality like Wipeout HD PS3 if it means it runs at 60fps at 1080p, but that should not happen unless there's some seriously messed up game design going on.

#28 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@animasta said:

@darji said:

do you not get how annoying seeing like 3 threads a day or something by the same guy shaming xbox for some dumb thing they said is?

Like there's news and then there's this.

Why should I? Again It always depends if these threads are true or not. If these are just lies sure be upset. If these are straight facts than sure why not. By the way. That is my first Microsoft thread today. If I count them correctly. Bad news are just lining up over the days and are still being discussed.

But maybe we should just do a bad Microsoft news thread and a good Microsoft news thread and collect everything in there. If you are more happy with this solution.

As for Gt5. It was not running in full 1080P.

#29 Posted by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

At this point Darji, you've made so many threads about the xbox it's time you finally accepted the truth....you want to be with the Xone, you want it inside you, you want to dedicate your life to it, and you want to spend every waking moment with it. I understand, and so do many others on these forums. I know that when you're out in public people call you an abomination and refuse you the same rights as others, but know that you'll always find friendship and understanding here on giantbomb.com.

#30 Edited by jayjonesjunior (1094 posts) -

@darji said:

1280x1080 2x (QAA) @ 60FPS

#31 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@darji said:

1280x1080 2x (QAA) @ 60FPS

yeah and this is not full 1080P.

1080P is 1920X1080.

#32 Edited by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

Enough of these copy-pasted NeoGAF threads please.

#33 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4297 posts) -

[Explicit] I'd like to think that this is your relationship with Xbox One.

And well cuz fuck it, this is a thread to just laugh at a bit.

#34 Edited by Tarsier (1076 posts) -

im not sure i understand what your problem is. you bolded them saying 'resolution isnt the only thing that matters' and starting soiling your diaper over that out of context or what?

it sounded pretty reasonable to me. they allow developers to do what they can to get the best experience that they feel is right.

if they keep that attitude with XBLA games itll be great. still personally not buying a NWO spying device tho .

#35 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Op is the forum version of Fox News.

#36 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

I'm going to buy an Xbox One just to spite you at this point.

#37 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

Instead of bashing the OP, because honestly I don't frequent the forums often enough to tell the difference between most people here, I'm just gonna say I was hoping that with improved hardware the tricks that developers had to use to get more consistent frame rates on the consoles would be a thing of the past. Bummer that it sounds like it's not.

#38 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4868 posts) -

You'd swear half the people in this thread have never heard of "don't shoot the messenger."

#39 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1849 posts) -

@oldirtybearon said:

You'd swear half the people in this thread have never heard of "don't shoot the messenger."

I would like to point you to his wall and all the threads he has made in the past week.

#40 Edited by JasonR86 (9763 posts) -

Huh. Microsoft seems like they really want their consumers to think a certain way rather then creating a product that demands that their audience thinks a certain way. That seems like a bad idea.

#41 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4868 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid said:

@oldirtybearon said:

I would like to point you to his wall and all the threads he has made in the past week.

You mean all the threads about the bullshit policies and general incompetence of Microsoft's Xbox Division?

It's the same thing everywhere. Microsoft has dug a hole for themselves and every new detail about the Xbone is just inciting more anger. And if it's not anger, it's bewilderment of how you could cock PR up so magnificently.

Giant Bomb is the only place I've seen where people actively want to stick their heads in the sand and will the truth away. I don't see why people should punish this user for keeping the community abreast of the shit that's going on in the gaming world. Especially when you consider the games press hasn't been doing the best job of it.

#42 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1849 posts) -

@oldirtybearon said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@oldirtybearon said:

You mean all the threads about the bullshit policies and general incompetence of Microsoft's Xbox Division?

It's the same thing everywhere. Microsoft has dug a hole for themselves and every new detail about the Xbone is just inciting more anger. And if it's not anger, it's bewilderment of how you could cock PR up so magnificently.

Giant Bomb is the only place I've seen where people actively want to stick their heads in the sand and will the truth away. I don't see why people should punish this user for keeping the community abreast of the shit that's going on in the gaming world. Especially when you consider the games press hasn't been doing the best job of it.

I didn't know it was suddenly a crime to get angry at somebody posting everything they find on Neogaf, and im sorry that were not all "enlightened" to this like you think we should be but literally half of this stuff hasn't been confirmed and everybody is just waiting to get official word at this point instead of jumping on every rumor they hear like all these other video game forums you're so versed in.

#43 Posted by wewantsthering (1586 posts) -

So everyone wants Microsoft to be more flexible with developers, but also want them to put all sorts of restrictions? That doesn't make any sense. Letting the developer decide what resolution to run their game in is the right choice. They should just be the platform and let the devs decide how to make their game. If reviews come out for a game looking like garbage, it's probably the developers fault.

#44 Edited by leinad44 (530 posts) -

Im pretty sick of these threads, at least wait until E3 is behind us.

#45 Posted by 71Ranchero (2796 posts) -

How much more pathetic can these threads get? Starting to think people dont much like video games but are totally into complaining about shit as a hobby.

#46 Edited by mercutio123 (472 posts) -

@darji how many of these threads are you going to make? We get it. You're not a fan of microsoft

#47 Posted by Grilledcheez (3956 posts) -

Well if it looks good it looks good, I don't really care how it looks good.

#48 Edited by thetenthdoctor (291 posts) -

@grilledcheez: You. Right there. I like the cut of your jib.

MGS4, Gears3, GT5, Uncharted 3 and just about every beautiful game this generation ran below 1080p. Give me those graphics at 60fps or better graphics at 30fps and I don't care about clock speeds, teraflops or pixel count.

#49 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

Well if it looks good it looks good, I don't really care how it looks good.

QFT

#50 Posted by DarthOrange (3878 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

Huh. Microsoft seems like they really want their consumers to think a certain way rather then creating a product that demands that their audience thinks a certain way. That seems like a bad idea.

YOU'RE A BAD IDEA!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.