New Phil Spencer interview about post launch support XB1

#1 Posted by 617_jbug (343 posts) -

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/19/5123866/xbox-one-games-post-launch-phil-spencer-interview

I'm excited to see what is coming.

"But I look at the next 18 to 24 months, and really on a month by month basis, you're going to have something you can go out and play," he said. "It's not really a portfolio plan that way, but when I look at the way the portfolio is laying out ... I think people are going to be happy with the lineup that's coming. And I haven't even mentioned when Halo is coming or some of the big mega franchises."

...Instead, look toward Spike's VGX awards presentation, airing Dec. 7, where Spencer said, "We'll have some things to say there." From there, next year's Game Developers Conference and E3 will likely be where the majority of Xbox One announcements will hit.

#2 Posted by bigjeffrey (4709 posts) -

New Perfect Dark

#3 Posted by LiquidPrince (15833 posts) -

This is not coming from a place of fanboyism, but the Xbox has NEVER had anything that I considered a mega franchise, or at least one that I was interested in. Unless "mega franchise" is purely measured in how much money it made. I bought my 360 originally for Gears of War and Mass Effect. The latter of which became multiplatform later. I'm not even remotely a fan of any of the Halo games, and yet randomly, I somehow own all of them... A couple in the legendary edition formats...

#4 Posted by crithon (3052 posts) -

@bigjeffrey: Actually Perfect Dark was one of those rejected ideas that Micrsoft said no to and eventually divided Rare into making Avatar clothing items and helping out other developers studios with Kinect. Microsoft Game Studio is looking a lot like Capcom.

#5 Edited by mikeeegeee (1549 posts) -

Xbox has NEVER had anything that I considered a mega franchise

I'm not even remotely a fan of any of the Halo games, and yet randomly, I somehow own all of them... A couple in the legendary edition formats...

what.

#6 Edited by LiquidPrince (15833 posts) -

@liquidprince said:

Xbox has NEVER had anything that I considered a mega franchise

@liquidprince said:

I'm not even remotely a fan of any of the Halo games, and yet randomly, I somehow own all of them... A couple in the legendary edition formats...

what.

It has mega franchises if you consider a mega franchise to be solely based on how it sells. For me personally it has to do with sales along side how much I personally enjoy the game. The only real series on 360 that I enjoyed quite a bit was Gears of War. I don't particularly like Halo, but I always ended up getting it for one reason or another.

#7 Posted by bigjeffrey (4709 posts) -

@crithon: Hey, KI is back so anything can happen. They should probably just outsource the IPs to different studios.

#8 Posted by clarkj1981 (38 posts) -

It has mega franchises if you consider a mega franchise to be solely based on how it sells.

Yes. Yes I do.

#9 Posted by crithon (3052 posts) -

@bigjeffrey: Just like Capcom, I see what you did there.

#10 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4137 posts) -

@crithon: ".. We've got some ideas for how to use it in the right way." Which might even be in a new Perfect Dark.

"Maybe! We've got an idea for that. It would be controller plus Kinect. We've got ideas for most older Rare IP, you won't be surprised to hear. There's quite a lot of desire to do that, and Viva Pinata, Conker... Banjo's very popular internally, a lot of people want to do stuff with Banjo. ..

We want to find that thing that nobody's ever done before and make a game out of it. We should be inventing new genres, inventing new ways to play. And this sensor gives us new opportunities to do it, with the fidelity it has now."

OXM UK: Rare: we've got ideas for Kinect in Perfect Dark, Banjo, Viva Pinata

I expect good things. :D

#11 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3720 posts) -

@liquidprince said:

This is not coming from a place of fanboyism, but the Xbox has NEVER had anything that I considered a mega franchise, or at least one that I was interested in.

Incredible post.

#12 Posted by Zero_ (1973 posts) -

That really reads to me "we don't have much before or after Titanfall". Honestly though, same with Infamous for PS4.

#13 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3720 posts) -

@zero_ said:

That really reads to me "we don't have much before or after Titanfall". Honestly though, same with Infamous for PS4.

Well they sure have more right now, so that's nice if you're buying an Xbox One. I think the launch line up has quickly become pretty damn good. Plus Quantum Break, D4, the next Halo and next Fable further out. Not too shabby. Lets hope they keep them coming.

I think inFamous looks good, the Order seems like it could be promising, and who knows what Uncharted will quite be. They have studios out there so interested to see what they are working on.

#14 Posted by e30bmw (356 posts) -

For whatever reason, him saying "big mega" rubs me the wrong way. I'd be totally fine with either one by itself.

#15 Posted by crithon (3052 posts) -

hmmmm hmmmm hmmmmmmm

chin stroking...... although I can't help but wonder who is still left in there? Reminded like the woman who did the character design of Elizabeth in Bioshock Infinite was working for Rare and they fired a lot of staff after Disney Adventures and Kinectamles. And this is recent, I'm not saying like the Stamper brothers.

It really seems like Microsoft wants to make Rare into a casual gaming company make those family friendly games, and if they could do that it'd be great. Just never cracked that nut considering how successful everything else is compared to rare's work. I really think Microsoft is the problem, when they were with Nintendo they did Blast Corp and Jet Force Gemini. They were risks and were able to make that, Microsoft is eager to chase after trends and use Rare like some blunt object trying to fit in.

#16 Posted by bigjeffrey (4709 posts) -

Give me a new Jet Force.

#17 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3720 posts) -

@crithon said:

hmmmm hmmmm hmmmmmmm

chin stroking...... although I can't help but wonder who is still left in there? Reminded like the woman who did the character design of Elizabeth in Bioshock Infinite was working for Rare and they fired a lot of staff after Disney Adventures and Kinectamles. And this is recent, I'm not saying like the Stamper brothers.

It really seems like Microsoft wants to make Rare into a casual gaming company make those family friendly games, and if they could do that it'd be great. Just never cracked that nut considering how successful everything else is compared to rare's work. I really think Microsoft is the problem, when they were with Nintendo they did Blast Corp and Jet Force Gemini. They were risks and were able to make that, Microsoft is eager to chase after trends and use Rare like some blunt object trying to fit in.

To give Microsoft some credit, Viva Pinata 1 and 2 and Nuts and Bolts were two (three games) of the most interesting projects Rare has done, to me. I do think they've been used a in a bit of, like you say , a blunt object way though throughout the relationship.

But there have been some good games and Rare IPs they continued to work on. I hope they are used well going forward.

#18 Edited by kishinfoulux (2250 posts) -

Hopefully that really is the case. I'm not seeing much, until March for either console. Maybe some smaller games in that time frame or multiplats? They can't make the Wii U mistake of having nothing for a long stretch, after launch.

#19 Posted by ChrisHarris (270 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

New Perfect Dark

Perfect Dark One... like Perfect Dark Zero, except one better.

#20 Posted by bigjeffrey (4709 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

New Perfect Dark

Perfect Dark One... like Perfect Dark Zero, except one better.

MindBlow

#21 Posted by crithon (3052 posts) -

@artisanbreads: yes, your right, but how long were those games in development before the massive titanic shift in microsoft's intention for hardcore gamers into kinect family friendly lets chase the wii mantra? I'm not saying Microsoft isn't creative, in fact there's a wonderful interview with the co creator of Halo Alex Seropian saying "When I tell people I worked at microsoft they never think it's as creative as working for Disney." He's probably right because he was there back in the early years of Halo 1-2 and Stubbs the Zombie. And Rare could actually make something really remarkable if they didn't get told "no" all the time from some Marketing Branch.

#22 Posted by LiquidPrince (15833 posts) -

@liquidprince said:

This is not coming from a place of fanboyism, but the Xbox has NEVER had anything that I considered a mega franchise, or at least one that I was interested in.

Incredible post.

I sense your intense sarcasm emanating from my screen. It doesn't really bother me though. I have purchased every console since the N64 era until now and that includes the original Xbox and the 360. I also plan on eventually purchasing the X1, but that isn't because of Halo or other such "mega franchises." It's because I'm hoping new IP's will come out that can pique my interest. I purchased the 360 for Mass Effect and Gears of War. Whenever games come out that I'm interested in, I'll be sure to pick up the X1. And that can be anything from a big developer, but most likely it will be for the little indie titles.

#23 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3720 posts) -

@crithon said:

@artisanbreads: yes, your right, but how long were those games in development before the massive titanic shift in microsoft's intention for hardcore gamers into kinect family friendly lets chase the wii mantra? I'm not saying Microsoft isn't creative, in fact there's a wonderful interview with the co creator of Halo Alex Seropian saying "When I tell people I worked at microsoft they never think it's as creative as working for Disney." He's probably right because he was there back in the early years of Halo 1-2 and Stubbs the Zombie. And Rare could actually make something really remarkable if they didn't get told "no" all the time from some Marketing Branch.

I think the way you're painting it is a little reaching. I mean, once Kinect took off as a big success they are going to want someone to make titles for it, why not Rare? No one says Nintendo ruined their creative teams when they had them make Wii sports and Wii sports resort. Rare might have wanted to work on the Kinect. It's a little silly to just say "I know they didn't want to be doing X".

Look, if they dissolve Rare now or they are working on something awful I'll be the first to say. But those games last gen were excellent and lets not act as if they did not happen. I also don't think any of them was much of a success (which is troubling... but keep in mind these are businesses). Rare sounds excited at the possibilities for their future so I hope they deliver something great.

Right now, Microsoft is not just taking safe bets on games. They are working with Swery for crying out loud! And Quantum Break looks wild. They are doing Below and there is Project Spark. Not all predictable safe projects, which I'm happy about.

#24 Edited by crithon (3052 posts) -

@liquidprince: actually what's interesting is that Microsoft only has Halo they are holding onto a death grip. Mass Effect they let EA take that, and EA is famous for keeping a franchise hostage for all the fanboys to beg for sequels and remakes. Almost everything Microsoft Game Studios has an open door policy to exit and come onto other platforms and from Greg Kasavin he said from his own experience on Bastion having Microsoft help them through XBLA authorization helped them a lot as they ported their game onto ipad, goggle chrome and almost anything else Bastion is on. Like they help fund Gears of War but that's still Epic's choices to bring in microtransactions to Judgement. It's nothing like Nintendo where Retro and Next Level Games have to go through Japan to understand every single nuance that makes their game a Nintendo game, and Sony gives some developer complete freedom to shoot themselves in the foot on a grand scale.

I don't know, is really holding franchise hostages a good idea for Microsoft? I'm not going for an Xbox One because I know Peggle 2 and Below will eventually come onto other platforms. That and my cousin and other people I know will get it. So I'll eventually dabble with it.

#25 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3720 posts) -

@crithon said:

@liquidprince:

I don't know, is really holding franchise hostages a good idea for Microsoft? I'm not going for an Xbox One because I know Peggle 2 and Below will eventually come onto other platforms. That and my cousin and other people I know will get it. So I'll eventually dabble with it.

Why is a publishing deal "holding a franchise hostage"? This is business. Sony and Nintendo have had similar arrangements and I'd wager no one would say it about them.

Not only that, but a lot of these deals involve the company marketing these games and helping them through development. "Hostage" though...

#26 Edited by shinjin977 (743 posts) -

Get ONE amazing exclusive rpg and ill buy. Sony is rumored to have 2 in production, one being made at SSM and rumored to be a sci-fi open world rpg. Give me another Lost Odyssey and I will bite, just like I did for 360.

#27 Posted by chrissedoff (2075 posts) -

@liquidprince said:

Incredible post.

Yup.

#28 Posted by crithon (3052 posts) -

@artisanbreads: again your right, that's why they do it in the first place. But my example is really EA and Nintendo, two very different Publishers. Like EA looks like they are holding franchise hostage, expecially Battlefront and Mirror's Edge 2. That's an example where you start to see EA really bad at understand read their own audience. Nintendo on the other hand everyone buys their exclusive games and never really questions it.

And it makes me think how much is Microsoft loosing if they were more like Nintendo and EA "No we are going to keep Mass Effect series exclusive to xbox." Again they are not, Rare made Viva Pinata Pocket Paradise while still owned by Microsoft. And what are they loosing? Mind share? fan loyalty? Because the in house developed games Microsoft is making are those Kinect games that are the reason why those blogger are saying "consoles are dying." And all of that Motion Control stuff and all of that casual stuff isn't clicking when hardcore games like GTA5 and CoDGhosts are selling Billions.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.