Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

No games until day One Patch

• 142 results
    Gnorbooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

This is definitely kind of crazy. We're talking about the most basic functionality that this $500 machine is supposed to do, and until you grab that firmware update from the internet, it's a brick. I guess it's the principle of it that just kind of irks me a bit. I can understand patches and all that goodness to "enhance" what our shit can do, but basic functionality like this has to be patched in before it works at all? Fuck guys, this all internet future is already looking grim, and we're not even there yet.

To be fair here, I think it's dumb that the PS4 won't have blu-ray playback and stuff until it updates as well. Just across the board a bummer on what's going on with these launches. Jeff wasn't kidding, these things are coming in HOTT!

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By bigjeffrey

Patch is apparently live, 500mb. Marketplace is not live though.

No Caption Provided

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Next Gen - 500$ bricks

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#104  Edited By Sooty

Wow, talk about being Xboned!!

Is this thing on?

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

They better hope that patch downloads and works immediately for everyone, or they'll never hear the end of it.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of you arguing entertains me. Feed me your anger.

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By awesomeusername

@bigjeffrey: Why is Dead Rising 3 19GB and Knack FUCKING 37GB WHAT?!!!

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@awesomeusername: Dead Rising 3 is 720p, Knack is 1080p. So it's most likely just all of the larger textures.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By bigjeffrey

@awesomeusername said:

@bigjeffrey: Why is Dead Rising 3 19GB and Knack FUCKING 37GB WHAT?!!!

I think it's a compressed file? The retail disk install is 35GB

awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey: Oh man Next gen is screwed when it comes to HDD space. Not looking forward to downloading games at all.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Not a big deal for 95% of us, but... damn. That's bizarre, and could potentially blow up.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent: That last paragraph wasn't meant for you personally. Meant to put it above my quote of yours but the formatting wouldn't let me :( Sorry. I can see how you'd think it was a personal attack or something.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#113  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

This next gen hardware is coming in hot from both MS and Sony, and as a result, they're both including a lot of functionality in these day one system updates. The Xbox One's lack of game playing functionality out of the box is definitely crazier than anything in Sony's update, but MS admitted that this would be the case back when they pulled their initial policy reversal.

It's pretty safe to assume that all PS4 and Xbox One units beyond these initial batches will have those updates pre-installed.

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not everyone has the internet or can connect their console to the internet. People projecting their privilege on the world, the world isn't your mom's house. Not everywhere on earth has great internet infrastructure and some people flatout have no access to internet. There's a world outside of the bubble you live in. Xbox got rid of its "always on" angle specifically for this reason, and putting a mandatory update out day one kind of resurfaces the problem. Its pretty indefensible. They'd be better delaying the launch and updating the software themselves so they're not shipping bricks.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By gike987
    @ryanwhom said:

Not everyone has the internet or can connect their console to the internet. People projecting their privilege on the world, the world isn't your mom's house. Not everywhere on earth has great internet infrastructure and some people flatout have no access to internet. There's a world outside of the bubble you live in. Xbox got rid of its "always on" angle specifically for this reason, and putting a mandatory update out day one kind of resurfaces the problem. Its pretty indefensible. They'd be better delaying the launch and updating the software themselves so they're not shipping bricks.

The thing is that if you don't have access to internet Microsoft simple don't care about you. You won't be paying for gold, you won't buy DLC and digital games, you won't see ads. You are a useless costumer to them.

They only got rid of the always on thing because it made people that actually mattered to them upset.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By excast

@gike987 said:

The thing is that if you don't have access to internet Microsoft simple don't care about you. You won't be paying for gold, you won't buy DLC and digital games, you won't see ads. You are a useless costumer to them.

They only got rid of the always on thing because it made people that actually mattered to them upset.

And that shitty attitude is why Microsoft is finding itself in a huge hole with consumers out of the gate.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 chaser324  Moderator

@excast said:

And that shitty attitude is why Microsoft is finding itself in a huge hole with consumers out of the gate.

Sure, but in a few months this day one update issue is probably gone, and 6-12 months from now, nothing that happened prior to launch will even matter.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the day one patch works properly, and is of a reasonable size, this is absolutely a non-issue. Same for PS4. Anyone who's buying knows the online component is essential to the new gen experience.

People still need to rage anything MS I spose.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All those CoD-drones and Madden-bros are going to be so pissed off. I feel really bad for all the Gamestop employees who have to explain everything to angry customers without an internet connection.

What MS should to to remedy this is put the update on an USB stick(1GB sticks are 10 cents wholesale) and have retailers give them out to people who don't have the opportunity to update via internet.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Sooty

@chaser324 said:

@excast said:

Sure, but in a few months this day one update issue is probably gone, and 6-12 months from now, nothing that happened prior to launch will even matter.

What will matter is the bad rep the console is going to get if it continues to be the One (hehehehe) that gets the inferior ports of games. Everyone loved to dump on the PS3 for that, I wonder if Microsoft will just embargo everything like they have been doing with ACIV, BF4 and Ghosts. In the long run, I think sales will end up quite close for the system, but Microsoft may well lose out on the licensing fees when people who own both opt for the PS4 versions. (outside of picking the version your friends all have)

It's still early yet, but so far it seems the PS4 is the platform all developers are showing their games on, even Activision who have that DLC/business relationship with Microsoft were showing Ghosts only on PS4.

I don't get why they had to include the Kinect as standard, should've put more money into the system's hardware and let people who want Kinect freaking buy one. There's no reason the voice commands can't be done with a half-decent headset instead. One (hehehehe) of the reasons I don't want an Xbox One at the moment is because I'm paying a premium for a Kinect that I know I will never use; awkward university room, and even at home my TV is too low down to the floor to stand up ideally for a Kinect game.

I'm still surprised I am feeling so negative towards the Xbox One, I thought the PS3 was a total waste of space for the first few years, and even long after it collected dust in my room a lot because of how much worse most multi-platform games turned out on it. Street Fighter IV (original release) was flat out broken on PSN with horrid connection issues, then there's all the games that had shitty framerates and horrible tearing. I only used my PS3 for a handful of exclusives in the end. It's a shame because I sunk so many hours into the Xbox 360 and the successor seems just plain middling right now.

At least Forza looks kinda nice, albeit not a big leap over 4.

MidNVis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How does this even matter? Were you planning on not connecting it to the internet? haha

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#122  Edited By Hailinel

@excast said:

Six to twelve months down the line, the people that got stung with a $500 purchase on day one because they bought a console that they never intended to hook up to the internet are not going to care.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By excast

@pweidman said:

If the day one patch works properly, and is of a reasonable size, this is absolutely a non-issue. Same for PS4. Anyone who's buying knows the online component is essential to the new gen experience.

People still need to rage anything MS I spose.

And people still seem to be forgetting that a fairly sizeable portion of current generation PS3s and 360s are not connected to the internet. Why? Do you believe these consumers are going to vanish overnight? Some seem to want to pretend they don't exist. We are also told that the majority of these folks do not pay attention to the minutiae that folks on video game forums care about. Well, how many people do you think are planning to buy an Xbox 1 and have absolutely no idea it needs to be hooked up online to even play games? How many are going to buy this thing and have no easily available means of patching it? Thousands? Tens of thousands?

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@hailinel said:

Six to twelve months down the line, the people that got stung with a $500 purchase on day one because they bought a console that they never intended to hook up to the internet are not going to care.

Yeah, there are going to be some people that buy on day one that have no internet access that will end up just having to return their unit or go through some inconvenient process to get the update. That is definitely unfortunate and is going to be a major shock and pain in the ass for some people. I was just saying that once this day one patch is coming pre-installed on units, it won't be an issue on purchases from that point forward.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

@hailinel said:

@alwaysbebombing: What if you can't download it?

Wait till you can?

What if you live in a household that doesn't connect game consoles to the internet?

Then the 360 is for you. With its extensive range of games and online multiplayer and entertainment applications we'll sure you'll be happy with the best gaming solution's older brother. Now go get some!

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Zelyre

Well, at least Comcast is getting it out of their system before the One's launch.

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/xbox_360_support/f/9/t/1617554.aspx?PageIndex=1

Looks like there are a few people who are unable to connect to XBL via xFinity.

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just thinking outside the box but could this patch be due to MS rushing the console out? Remember Sony struck first blood with their release date. I gather MS had to hustle and figured through the box out dead on arrival and we'll add all the functionality through a patch. I hope they paid their admins bonuses, I'm sure they'll be running around like crazy on launch day.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By excast

I'm just thinking outside the box but could this patch be due to MS rushing the console out? Remember Sony struck first blood with their release date. I gather MS had to hustle and figured through the box out dead on arrival and we'll add all the functionality through a patch. I hope they paid their admins bonuses, I'm sure they'll be running around like crazy on launch day.

I've seen this argument around, but I honestly can't believe that a company the size of Microsoft didn't have some idea that the next generation was starting this year. Everyone else did, didn't we?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By TruthTellah

Unless you're an active serviceman or woman in the military, you probably wouldn't be plunking down $500-600 on these systems and their games at launch without some level of access to the Internet. Heck, they've said you can even use your cellphone's connection if need be. It's unfortunate that their backtrack on always online requires this day one update, but it isn't exactly unique. The Wii U's day one update was even bigger, and as long as they don't have a problem with servers sending the update quickly, I don't foresee this being a significant issue for most people.

I do wish they could have at least included the update as a disc in the package, but as long as they can deliver it quickly to everyone connecting to them, it should turn out better than some people are fearing.

PhilESkyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By PhilESkyline

@excast: I'm referring to the actual day. MS never released a launch date and with the backtracking of the original plan I would guess more changes needed to be made and fast. So instead of delaying the console until Dec probably Christmas they just put it out and make you download a huge patch. Having a patch just to play games sounds risky, I wouldn't be shocked if many consoles brick.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This will make the GB stream really fun.

XBONE DAY 1 LIVE STREAM BUT MOSTLY WINDJAMMERS :rock:

jasbir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If u have internet u should be fine but the ones who don't have internet r going to run into big problems.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

If they have a server crash...

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@excast said:

@phileskyline said:

I've seen this argument around, but I honestly can't believe that a company the size of Microsoft didn't have some idea that the next generation was starting this year. Everyone else did, didn't we?

I assure you that even with an approximate target date, Sony and MS were still waiting until the last possible moment to lock down both the hardware and system level software. These new consoles are both coming in SUPER HOT!

The PS4 may be able to play disc based games out of the box, but there's still a 300 MB day one update that includes a lot of functionality with other features not coming until 2014. The software devs working on the PS4 even had the advantage of not completely rearchitecting major components six months before launch, and they still didn't get it all done before production started.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@excast: I'm referring to the actual day. MS never released a launch date and with the backtracking of the original plan I would guess more changes needed to be made and fast. So instead of delaying the console until Dec probably Christmas they just put it out and make you download a huge patch. Having a patch just to play games sounds risky, I wouldn't be shocked if many consoles brick.

There was no way MS would delay it past black Friday, or even that Thursday, with some retailers opening on Thanksgiving. The latest I could see them launching was the 26th. They're also not waiting a week or so before launch to get these things ready to ship. By the time they did a 180 on their policy, it was probably already too late to do anything with the systems in production, if you include the time it would have taken to produce the code changes and test them out.

confideration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a little shocked that you need an update before it will play a game, and a bit skeptical that this could be a case where someone's words were taken out of context.

I think in Sony's case it has to do with licensing fees, just like they said on the bombcast. If people remember clearly... Years ago you had to activate a feature on the PS3 online before your console would stream WMA/WMV files from your PC. It's probably still the case.

With Microsoft, if it's true about the games not being playable, I would lean more towards security and copy protection. It's given them a lot more time to work on the EXACT build of the OS that will allow games to be played out of the gate. Remember there is a pretty robust piracy scene still on current gen consoles that publishers still want to put a dent in.

I do feel for those internet challenged locations though, however, trust me... Those folks are used to improvising even for day to day stuff like the challenge of having enough fuel, food, easy access to health services, hostile wildlife, you name it. If they want an Xbox One and it needs to connect to the internet once, I bet they will find a way to make that happen.

Spongetwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Not a big deal to me. Can't wait for the system!!

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So if you live in a podunk town with no internet (or dial-up), you're pretty Xboned?

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By Franstone

Doesn't really matter to me, even if the One had 100% functionality right out of the box the first thing I would do is update it.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#143  Edited By project343

We've known about this since June 13th. It is not an 'always on' console, but it is a console that does not truly function until it is connected to the internet. If the purchaser does not have access to the internet, they basically have a fat brick.

*Edit: Just saw that it's 500mb. That's massive for a patch, and because it's mandatory, Microsoft's servers are going to melt. I don't think any amount of prep is going to brace for that impact. I predict things to be significantly worse than PSN's current state on the PS4.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously people fucking whine about the dumbest shit these days.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

This has been stated for months.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.