Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

OS Locking up and games "ready to install"

Red_Piano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I was hoping some GB folks could help me out with some issues. I just got a used Xbox One yesterday, it came reset and clean of any data or profiles, but once I got done setting it up and putting my profile on there I noticed it had two games listed as "ready to install" in my games and apps thing, Fifa 14 and Max the brotherhood or something. FIFA seems to not want to download and install so I gave up on that, but Max installed fine and is playable. I have no idea why these are on the system or if they're just like advertised demos? They seem to be the full games.

Second issue I'm having is lockups, when trying to setup a party and navigating the snap stuff the software locked up twice, one of these times I could hold the xbox button down and shut the console off with the controller but none of the other menus would respond. The other time I had to restart it on the console even though the menus still animated and were working, but didn't respond to controls, are these common issues or have I perhaps been sent a faulty xbone?

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

The XB1 is a fairly unreliable system, so far. I haven't encountered exactly your issues, but (increasing with each dashboard update), I've run into the issue where your feed to the television/tuner just dies until you turn off the xbox complete and unplug it from the wall for awhile. I've run into choppy/laggy gameplay almost every game session (especially in COD, but pretty much everything). I've run into the system just hanging and requiring a reboot -- at the dashboard, in COD menus, in DR3, in the COD game itself. In DR3 itself. In Ryse. In some applications, like Amazon Instant Prime, in settings.

As for the FIFA game -- the only place I'm aware that came out with the console at is Europe. So, if that's where you are, then that could be the case. Otherwise, it could be a title that someone else bought on that console and it is still tied to the hardware (until the account holder logs into xbox's website and does a license transfer of their content to a new console).

You may find that you need to delete some games (like this FIFA) and try downloading them again (assuming it belongs to this system in some way). The XBOX system has really screwed up a lot of full installs in some way, from time to time. I had to delete and completely re-download and re-install COD:Ghosts and its 60gb of content, as have many others. Just because XBOX decided to no longer launch it (it would launch to the boot screen of the game and freeze or black-screen permanently).

The consensus seems to be that most problems with hangs and resets and no longer launching software is due to the always-on nature of the OS. A hard reboot (turn off, then unplug) can often help in many circumstances.

rickyyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@branthog:

The hard reboot is normally the option I go with as well. I was looking at the new dashboard update and it looks like they have a reformat option in it of some kind. It is what made the Xbox 360 bearable for me. Everytime my 360 acted up I just blasted the system back to original setup.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Branthog

My favorite thing, recently, is that my XB1 launch-day controller with under 300 hours of play time on it has died. The right thumb-stick drifs up and to the right so drastically that it is unusable for anything other than, perhaps, using Netflix.

While investigating it, I discovered that XBOX warrants the accessories that come with the console you buy differently than the console itself. Even though they all come in the same box and same purchase. The $60 controller has a 90 day warranty. For such a sophisticated piece of hardware that will receive so much use over its life, that is pathetic. Even if you played 10hrs every day, that's not even a thousand hours of play time on the controller.

So, I'm on my second controller, already. And since I bought this as a back up at launch, i'm sure it will die in a few months, too. Then I'll have to go drop another $60. Thumsticks dying seem to be pretty common, if you google a bit. Meh.

Of course, PS4 isn't much better. While my PS4 controllers are physically fine, the ridiculous battery life makes me not want to use my PS4 as often though it is my preferred system. My eneloop rechargable batteries let me play on the XB1 for as many hours as day as I have wanted for a full week (maybe 20-24hrs of play time). The PS4 controller lasts less than six hours, meaning it lasts one gaming session at best. Usually not even that.

Red_Piano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems absolutely mind blowing that this console is this broken this long after launch. I've been installing Dead Rising 3 all day and it's still only at 85%, the interface is absolutely horrible, slow, everything is placed weird and over complicated.

What a mess.

sravankb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How come I've never heard a single good thing about the XBox One? How did MS screw us this badly?

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did you at least inquire why the previous owner wanted to get rid of it? It might be that the app is still authorised to download full games, maybe from GwG?

Red_Piano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The previous owner needed to get rid of it as he was apparently moving out of the country and didn't have room for it or time for it, according to the ebay listing. But it was 385$ for an Xbone, rechargeable battery, dead rising 3 and kinect so I took it while I had the chance and it's basically new condition.

Avatar image for lowestformofwit
    lowestformofwit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

It sounds to me like the owner sold you it because it was broken. I've never had a single problem with my launch machine. It's a great console.

JaredA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It sounds to me like the owner sold you it because it was broken. I've never had a single problem with my launch machine. It's a great console.

My thoughts exactly. I have had my Xbox One since launch and I have noticed very few glitches or framerate problems in games.

Everything I have tried to install works fine, so it really does sound like you purchased a borked console.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.