Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

People need to STFU About Xbox One not catering to games

• 87 results
    Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

That's what E3 is for. MS is saving their games for the event where generally only enthusiast video game people watch. That May 21 event was like "yeah, our console can do other stuff too"

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

You're right.

Killer Instict 3

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Why do you care if people keep on talking yang about the Xbox One? MS has done a terrible job with curating the experience on the Xbox 360 for years now. The shit they are seeping themselves into is their own doing.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Kameo 2. GOGO!

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joanna Dark TV show.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By EXTomar

You are completely right because the guys are Microsoft are geniuses for doing a non-reveal reveal. Our gut instincts that "Microsoft doesn't get it" is totally unfounded because they put more football players than technicians and developers in their world premier presentation.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah! it can also play kinect games!

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Why so serious?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

People are talking shit about the console through no fault other than Microsoft's own. They not only failed to deliver on any solid game announcements (not a big deal), but failed spectacularly at delivering any sort of clear message that hasn't been contradicted three times over (that's a big fucking deal).

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not people's fault that Microsoft decided to showcase the X1 as a media and TV hub first and foremost. A reveal is a reveal. While it's true that they were clearly saving games until E3, their competitor is both presenting games at E3 -and- focused on games at their reveal. It's natural for people to compare the reveals, regardless of their proximity to E3. The X1 will have games, but their reveal left plenty to be desired.

It's like if they announced a new Roku device and just spent a hour talking about how it can play music. We know it also has video streaming, but the emphasis was clearly placed on something other than what should be its main appeal. It's their reveal and their timetable, and if the proximity to E3 meant a reveal like -that-, then they made a mistake that clearly caused confusion over their priorities.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Why? I would appreciate it if the video game console being revealed actually had video games on it. As opposed to being some kind of entertainment hub, which my 360 and my PC and my laptop can already be. Hell, even my modified original Xbox can be set up as an entertainment hub, though it's not all that great at it. Sure, my PC can also play games, but I'd like to see what kind of games MS can bring to the table.

I also don't care about cable. I am no longer Microsoft's audience, and that bums me out quite a bit because the original Xbox and the 360 were pretty damn good consoles.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Yeah, let's make a few more threads about the exact same thing.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Who do you think watched that event, sure it was technically on TV but it was on Spike at 10am...on a Tuesday, on a day that most people have to work or go to school. I would think that the majority of the audience was "enthusiast video game people" and probably some viewers that were watching 1000 Ways to Die that was airing before it.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By McGhee

I liked the other guy that did this thread more. At least he ranted and cursed a lot, making it somewhat entertaining.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15  Edited By Seppli

Sure, if you can detach yourself from it far enough, that the reveal event and whatever MS shows at E3 bleeds together, the 21st might not be as big a slap in the face of the core audience as it was. That said, E3 didn't happen yet. It could still be a disappointment. We don't know.

What we know is that MS doesn't treat the Xbox One as a gaming box first and foremost. Microsoft is ambiguous when it comes to its policies in regards to *always online* and *used games*. Its engineers are extremely vague in regards to hardware specs. It looks like the Xbox One will be a less capable games machine than the PS4, and it seems like Microsoft tries to confuse consumers into thinking otherwise.

Overall, as a games enthusiast, the reveal event was like microsoft showing up to a shit fight with a fart. Vague specs, no gameplay at all, and playing up Kinect 2 and alt-tabbing apps. Microsoft deserves all the flak it gets. Those that don't give it flak for how it handled the reveal are either corporate shills, dillusional fans, or simply not part of the core audience. Especially outside the North American market, you'll have a hard time finding anyone having anything good to say about the Xbox One reveal, because nothing Microsoft showed concerns us.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This too shall pass. It's just timely and relevant to discuss the blunder of Microsoft. It's a fertile ground for speculation and passion only the internet can muster.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart said:

That's what E3 is for. MS is saving their games for the event where generally only enthusiast video game people watch. That May 21 event was like "yeah, our console can do other stuff too"

Perfect tagline. You must work for Microsoft Marketing.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By MEATBALL

The games will be there, obviously, I think the larger problem to me, personally is that Microsoft's reveal of the console is telling of their priorities. If you play games you're merely part of a distant secondary priority, just as it has become increasingly clear that you have been ever since the Kinect came into being and Don Mattrick started flipping his hair on stage. That said, I think the system will be fine, and it sounds like its first year line-up will prove to be quite strong. I think the 360 hasn't really felt as strong a gaming console over the last few years compared to its first handful, and I think this is just part of a continuing trend and direction Microsoft have opted to take.

It's telling that during the reveal of Microsoft's new system that the big Halo announcement wasn't a new game, it was a TV series.

Ultimately though, I hope the system is awesome, I hope it has a whole bunch of fantastic games and I hope it doesn't actually have any of the restrictions we've been hearing about (because personally they're dealbreakers for me). The information we have had to go on thus far, however, has not been terribly positive.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

You mad bro?

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Quarters

Even if you ignore the game thing, that doesn't change the fact that everything else they revealed was incredibly weak as well, and was needlessly vague and over-rehearsed. The whole thing was really cold, whereas Sony as least seemed a smidge human.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart said:

It felt more like: "Oh god we have no fucking clue what we´re doing. Here´s a bunch of PR talk and some stupid TV deals nobody wants."

But I guess Americans need another device to watch TV series on, they only had like 20 in every household already.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart said:

let me quote some opinions especially forom Indy devs^^

Brian Provinciano, creator of Retro City Rampage:

- "No self-publishing" doesn't just hinder developers. A lot of publishers must go to BIGGER publishers to be able to publish on Xbox.

Mike Bithell, creator of Thomas Was Alone:

- not that I'll ever sell well enough to make a blip on MS's radar, but somewhere, the next Minecraft is being made, for another platform.

George Broussard, co-creator of Duke Nukem:

- Microsoft you *must* prioritize a low friction indie self publishing path. Otherwise you hand Sony games, devs and $.

Robert Boyd, co-creator of Breath of Death VII, Cthulhu Saves the World, and Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3:

- Microsoft just handed the indie dev community to Sony, Nintendo, and Steam on a silver platter.

David Frampton, creator of The Blockheads:

- There doesn't appear to be anything actually new here regarding Microsoft's attitude towards indies. The news is that nothing has changed.

David Frampton again:

- But the fact that Microsoft's attitude towards indies hasn't changed is definitely affecting this indie's attitude towards Microsoft.

Phil Fish, co-creator of FEZ:

- microsoft doesn't care about indie developer.

Markus Persson, creator of Minecraft:

- Also, I tried to get excited about the xbox one, but failed.

Tommy Refenes, co-creator of Super Meat Boy:

- So as someone who doesn't play Forza or any EA Sports game and already has a computer hooked to my TV, what does Xbox One offer me?

Zach Gage, creator of SpellTower and co-creator of Ridiculous Fishing:

- @BenKuchera that was the only thing i was hoping for :( things are not looking great for the XO

Tim Schafer, founder of Double Fine Productions:

- "@Polygon: Indie developers cannot self-publish on Xbox One http://sbn.to/YZERGv" Booo! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! BoooOOOoooOooooo! Boo!

Terry Cavanagh, creator of VVVVVV and Super Hexagon:

- But honestly, after their reveal yesterday, does anyone really WANT to make games for it?

And to top it off, here is Dan Adelman, head of business development at Nintendo and manager of the eShop:

- One might think I'd be glad Xbox won't allow indies to self-publish. It's actually a big negative, as indies need more exposure. #growthepie

What does this mean? Will you get your Halo and COD? Sure. Will you get Indy games LOL do not bet on it. Will you get much support except the stuff Microsoft buys? Not really by the looks of it. Does Microsoft care? No they never wanted to deelop a gaming console anyway. It was their stepping stone. Deal with it.

jimmy_p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jimmy_p

The impression of what kind of audience this console caters to is already clear. I have pretty much dismissed the idea of buying it.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@darji said:

@mcfart said:

- "No self-publishing" doesn't just hinder developers. A lot of publishers must go to BIGGER publishers to be able to publish on Xbox.

- not that I'll ever sell well enough to make a blip on MS's radar, but somewhere, the next Minecraft is being made, for another platform.

- Microsoft you *must* prioritize a low friction indie self publishing path. Otherwise you hand Sony games, devs and $.

Robert Boyd, co-creator of Breath of Death VII, Cthulhu Saves the World, and Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3:

- Microsoft just handed the indie dev community to Sony, Nintendo, and Steam on a silver platter.

- There doesn't appear to be anything actually new here regarding Microsoft's attitude towards indies. The news is that nothing has changed.

David Frampton again:

- But the fact that Microsoft's attitude towards indies hasn't changed is definitely affecting this indie's attitude towards Microsoft.

- So as someone who doesn't play Forza or any EA Sports game and already has a computer hooked to my TV, what does Xbox One offer me?

- @BenKuchera that was the only thing i was hoping for :( things are not looking great for the XO

- "@Polygon: Indie developers cannot self-publish on Xbox One http://sbn.to/YZERGv" Booo! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! BoooOOOoooOooooo! Boo!

- But honestly, after their reveal yesterday, does anyone really WANT to make games for it?

And to top it off, here is Dan Adelman, head of business development at Nintendo and manager of the eShop:

- One might think I'd be glad Xbox won't allow indies to self-publish. It's actually a big negative, as indies need more exposure. #growthepie

What does this mean? Will you get your Halo and COD? Sure. Will you get Indy games LOL do not bet on it. Will you get much support except the stuff Microsoft buys? Not really by the looks of it. Does Microsoft care? No they never wanted to deelop a gaming console anyway. It was their stepping stone. Deal with it.

Considering one of my favourite games on the Vita is Thomas Was Alone (made by one of the devs quoted on this list), MS's stance on self publishing is both disheartening and baffling.

BUT they can change their policies at some point - and that may be sooner rather than later. Not holding out any hope though (and until then I'll be happy with my PS4)

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@selfconfessedcynic: Of course they can change but they will not because they do not care. The possibility of world peace is much higher than Microsoft changing. That is what they were and and that is what they ever will be.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@andorski said:

Why do you care if people keep on talking yang about the Xbox One? MS has done a terrible job with curating the experience on the Xbox 360 for years now. The shit they are seeping themselves into is their own doing.

I just played a 360 game a few minutes ago. My experience was pretty great. Turned the console on, pressed play game, then I had a blast for 2 hours playing Dark Arisen.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By rollingzeppelin

@darji said:

@mcfart said:

David Frampton again:

Yeah, that's pretty damning right there. Indies represent 99% of the creativity in the industry right now.

I was sick of the 360 four years ago and Microsoft is doing nothing to sway me with their next console. The fact that you have to pay for online and they still ram adverts down your throat is just gross, I won't be funding that bullshit any more. Trust me, with all the control they'll be able to exert on your experience with their new business model/console it will definitely get worse.

kre8havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

Yeah, let's make a few more threads about the exact same thing.

Milkman 2016

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@andorski said:

I just played a 360 game a few minutes ago. My experience was pretty great. Turned the console on, pressed play game, then I had a blast for 2 hours playing Dark Arisen.

If being able to turn on the console and play a game is the barometer in which we measure a console's experience, then the N-Gage was a pretty damn good system. I'm talking more about the 360's UI, which they evolved into a slow mess just so they can have ads put in the dashboard. The only redeeming compliment I've heard for the dashboard is that you can ignore it and go straight to playing a game, which I find to be an odd argument. "The NXE dashboard is decent because I don't have to use it."

Then there are several of Microsoft's policies which I think are toxic to their userbase. They don't let publishers/developers release additional content for their games for free over XBL. Moreover, they choose to have several paid subscription services behind the the XBL Gold paywall. Then they had the gall to say that this gave Gold extra value, and thus increased its price. There was also the extremely poor quality control of the launch systems.

Red rings aside, the best things about the 360 was the stuff that was implemented in the beginning. The blade dashboard was snappy and had gamers view the system UI as something more than a place for settings options and save files. The idea of making the console online-centric (but not mandatory) made online gaming a de-facto feature for consoles. The focus on making the system developer-friendly made 360 games run well in comparison to their PS3 counterparts. I'm sure the last part will carry over to the Xbox One. Still, but the amount of crap that MS has put onto the 360 and are now moving onto their next-gen system should be criticized.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Basically I don't give a damn about the xbox one because

1) I couldn't give 2 fucks about TV, sports or speaking with a plastic box like a fucking idiot.

2) the PS4 will have headphone jacks on all controllers, I mean seriously how absurdly brilliant is that? you are basically getting a wireless headphone receiver with every controller, and that's fucking awesome in my book, it will be PS4 for me for damn sure(believe it or not that WAS the selling point for me), also free online play.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andorski said:

@humanity said:

@andorski said:

If being able to turn on the console and play a game is the barometer in which we measure a console's experience, then the N-Gage was a pretty damn good system. I'm talking more about the 360's UI, which they evolved into a slow mess just so they can have ads put in the dashboard. The only redeeming compliment I've heard for the dashboard is that you can ignore it and go straight to playing a game, which I find to be an odd argument. "The NXE dashboard is decent because I don't have to use it."

Then there are several of Microsoft's policies which I think are toxic to their userbase. They don't let publishers/developers release additional content for their games for free over XBL. Moreover, they choose to have several paid subscription services behind the the XBL Gold paywall. Then they had the gall to say that this gave Gold extra value, and thus increased its price. There was also the extremely poor quality control of the launch systems.

Red rings aside, the best things about the 360 was the stuff that was implemented in the beginning. The blade dashboard was snappy and had gamers view the system UI as something more than a place for settings options and save files. The idea of making the console online-centric (but not mandatory) made online gaming a de-facto feature for consoles. The focus on making the system developer-friendly made 360 games run well in comparison to their PS3 counterparts. I'm sure the last part will carry over to the Xbox One. Still, but the amount of crap that MS has put onto the 360 and are now moving onto their next-gen system should be criticized.

Well see I find some of those complaints at odds with what the Microsoft conference was all about. On one hand people are upset that not enough games were shown and that this is supposed to be a "Game machine" for core gamers. On the other hand you have these complaints that the dashboard is awful and as you say the fact that you can bypass it entirely and get to playing your game in an expedient manner is setting a low bar for the system. Taking your ludicrous comparison to an N-gage into consideration, the big difference here aside from the N-gage being a handheld and the 360 being a full fledged console is the big difference that the 360 has a lot of quality games on it while the N-gage did not which is the true barometer of a systems success.

Also I don't know if you have used the new dashboard recently but it has one small corner tile dedicated to advertisements on the home screen. If you go to the game tab and you want to search for anything then it's all very intuitive. Each tab has a New Releases square, A-Z and Genre filtering options. Much like the blade system you seem to remember so fondly, the new dashboard also serves as more than a place for settings and options. If someone SO DESIRES they can explore new music, movies and TV. But if all you want to do is play games because you're a "true gamer" then you have the option to bypass all of this and head straight into the game. All of the crap you describe that is ruining the Xbox experience is optional and you never have to engage with it, but for those that do it's there off to the side.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@onarum: The Wii U does this too........

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I meant real next gen consoles, though I really didn't knew that about the wiiu I must confess.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't we already do this thread? OP also needs more ragetastic paragraphs to make it funnier.

fiberpay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No dude you're completely wrong! XboxOne will have no games, lets all get mad and crazy because a one hour reveal only showed 6 games!

#sarcasm

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: As I said, you can bypass the entire UI if you want to play the disk in your system. This isn't the only thing a gamer does on the dashboard though. The way it organizes your XBLA games is organized, but not efficient. Being able to personally organize your digital material needs to be standard. The UI carries over to the XBL marketplace, where the unnecessary amount of dead space not being used on the screen makes flipping through purchasable content much longer than it needs to be. The marketplace UI on the system works best when you absolutely know what you are going to buy. The issues with the UI become exacerbated more you don't know where the content would be categorized or what content you want to try out. When I used my 360 I would just always opt to use marketplace.xbox.com to find any content in order to avoid the system marketplace - which is still an awesome feature MS added.

My N-Gage comment wasn't used to compare that handheld system to the 360 console as a whole. I typed it to specifically comment the odd way people validate the literal use of the 360, which always comes down to people saying I can ignore all of it and play the game (which isn't the only thing a gamer does with their console, as I mentioned earlier). Being able to turn on a console and play a game should not be an example of a system working well. It should be the absolute baseline for a console's functionality.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#37  Edited By Hailinel

@onarum said:

@darthorange said:

Yeah I meant real next gen consoles, though I really didn't knew that about the wiiu I must confess.

Graphic power doesn't define next generation.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By neoepoch

Because the last 2 E3 press conferences Microsoft had were AMAZING AND GAME FILLED, and not dull media and television pandering nonsense.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@hailinel said:

@onarum said:

@darthorange said:

Graphic power doesn't define next generation.

Internets has decided WiiU is no gen.

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#40  Edited By yetiantics

My opinion? No company should be doing damage control BEFORE E3 for their new console.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

and here i was expecting someone named "mcfart" to have something relevant to say. my bad.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

I'll talk about whatever I fucking want to.

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dacnomaniac

People can say whatever the fuck they want. The pure fact that you have to defend MS, for not showing any game is ridiculous. What company has the right mind to SAVE information for a later date, when they know a rival company could quite easily pummel them into the dirt. Just because E3 is an expo for games doesn't mean MS can't even at least try to capture the interest of most of their audience. A lot of people are already counting on the PS4, and if you haven't already noticed it's easier to proved right, than to be proved wrong.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neoepoch said:

Because the last 2 E3 press conferences Microsoft had were AMAZING AND GAME FILLED, and not dull media and television pandering nonsense.

Yeah.. I wouldn't count on microsoft being all about the games at their press conference. But hey, I could be proven wrong.

Balex1908

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the inside scoop on what games MS will show at E3 : COD, Kinect Game, Kinect Game, Kinect Game, Gears, Kinect Game, Kinect Game and....HALO.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andorski: But what are your thoughts on the incredibly negative reaction to the Microsoft conference which was focused on letting gamers know about all the other things they will be able to do apart from playing games in conjunction with your comment about wanting to do more on the dashboard? People seem incredibly upset because playing games is all they care about and the fact that Xbox One expands on other multimedia functions seems to enrage them to no end as most "gamers" seem to be incorrectly extrapolating this notion that adding more multimedia functions is somehow taking away from their gaming experience.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By EXTomar

It is fine to tell us about features but it feels like they ignored the important core features. It would be like buying a car and getting the dealer spin for an hour about how much it a car will interface with your phone. Elaborating and telling me all of those features is...nice...but not what I showed up for. And telling me to come back later for "the real show" isn't going to impress me either.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On the contrary we must be as loud as possible in regards to what we want as customers because no one else will stand up for us. If some complaints are loud enough to make an impact on how the Xbox One ultimately will be released, then that'll be a good thing.

DeShawn2ks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like Kinect and I also don't have overpriced cable anymore. So I will talk as much shit on the Xbox One as I want to. Until they give me a reason not to.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

No.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.