People need to STFU About Xbox One not catering to games

• 80 results
#51 Edited by gaminghooligan (1434 posts) -

I want more games like Mark of the Ninja, Thomas Was Alone, Unfinished Swan, Don't Starve, FTL, and I just don't see that happening on a platform that has never and will most likely never encourage independent development. Right now the PS4 has made a point to show it's going to cater to developers, while Microsoft has shown me it's going to be great for my fantasy football season. I'm not saying the Xbox One won't be a competent system, it will be, but just looking at Microsoft's history with indie devs I'm guessing not much is going to change on that front. Both systems will be fine for AAA titles, but right now it seems like Sony really cares about its reputation with its gamer audience, while MS seems more worried about becoming the all in one box in the living room.

#52 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5140 posts) -

I agree, also if the new Kinect bothers you so much get a PS4. No one is forcing you to get the Xbox. Just stop talking as if it's dead on arrival.

#53 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@meatball said:
@hailinel said:

@onarum said:

@darthorange said:

@onarum: The Wii U does this too........

Yeah I meant real next gen consoles, though I really didn't knew that about the wiiu I must confess.

Graphic power doesn't define next generation.

Internets has decided WiiU is no gen.

And developers.

#54 Posted by sopranosfan (1935 posts) -

As I posted in my blog core GAMErs determine the success of consoles and to only show Call of Duty, EA sports games and Forza was not enough. If you weren't going to do more then you shouldn't of even had the event.

#55 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

How much is microsoft paying you to defend their blunder of a console? It's not even about the lack of games shown thus far. Also...TV

#56 Edited by SpartyOn (500 posts) -

Yeah I disagree. Sony and Microsoft both had reveal events, and Microsoft focused on the flash while Sony focused on the games. I don't think there is a problem with people being disappointed about that. Sure, they may change that at E3, but at this point Microsoft has yet to really sell the Xbox One as a GAMES MACHINE, and it's easy to call that out when they have a direct competitor doing the opposite. Personally, I was sold on getting the next xbox before these presentation, but now I feel like Microsoft has to win be back because I'm leaning very heavily towards the PS4.

#57 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

How bummed-out are people going to be when the Xbox presentation at E3 is like "sure, we have games - like Call of Duty and Madden - but first, let me tell you about your new Kinect-enabled television experience!"

#58 Posted by spraynardtatum (2788 posts) -

@mcfart: I feel like everyone knows this wasn't the games show. We were told weeks before the press conference that games wouldn't be the focus. Anyone who paid attention knew that. Those complaints are annoying for sure. The games are coming.

It's all the other bullcrap they showed/teased that is worth complaining about, and the fact that most of the representatives at Microsoft had such poor memories of how the system their selling actually works.

#59 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@mcfart: I feel like everyone knows this wasn't the games show. We were told weeks before the press conference that games wouldn't be the focus. Anyone who paid attention knew that. Those complaints are annoying for sure. The games are coming.

It's all the other bullcrap they showed/teased that is worth complaining about, and the fact that most of the representatives at Microsoft had such poor memories of how the system their selling actually works.

then do not hype it. do not pay a gaming site to show it.

#60 Posted by Catarrhal (826 posts) -

I was smart enough to ignore the damn conference altogether, but from what I've heard--the only thing missing from that conference was a dance performance by Usher Raymond.

Really, I'm glad to see that everyone is finally waking up to the fact that Microsoft jumped the proverbial shark years ago.

#61 Edited by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

Let's look at it like this: Microsoft is announcing games at E3, and they have stated there will be 15 exclusives within the first year.

However, we already know a handful of those exclusives:

• Halo 5
  • Forza 5
  • New Rare game
  • Quantum Break

Aside from that, my bets are on these being announced:

• New Crackdown
  • New Fable
  • New Gears of War (gotta show off UE4 on the console)

Beyond that, what else is there? New IP? I mean, given what I just spelled out, there is plenty of room for the number of new IPs they are announcing. However, how long will anything even remain exclusive? Allow me to show you why I could give a fuck less about Microsoft announcing exclusives:

• Bullet Witch
  • Blackwater
  • Don King Presents Prizefighter
  • Full Auto
  • Hulk Hogan's Main Event
  • Kengo
  • Kinect ANYTHING (other than maybe Gunstringer)
  • Lips
  • Mobile Ops
  • Morph X
  • Ninety-Nine Nights
  • Onechanbara
  • The Outfit
  • Over G Fighters
  • Perfect Dark Zero
  • Rise of Nightmares

That's a small portion. I could link a whole list that I pulled from, but I think the point is made: who gives a flying fuck about Microsoft exclusives? Hell, look at Perfect Dark Zero, Kameo, Full Auto, and Ninety-Nine Nights. How much were those fuckers built up only to end up being dogshit?

So yeah, WHOOOO, let's get excited about Microsoft exclusives! O________O

When it comes down to it, Microsoft could announce Dark Cloud 3, Vagrant Story 2, Half-Life 3 exclusivity, Killer Instinct 3, and that you'll get a new goddamn car with the console all packaged together for $99, and I STILL wouldn't buy it based solely on three things:

• Their messaging has been absolutely terrible so far, and their own PR and employees cannot get shit straight. That shows me a dysfunctional and unprepared company trying to launch a console, and the last time they did that, the RRoD was prevalent.
  • Their stance on indie self-publishing is abhorrent, especially since indies are what made their platform successful overall. Without the success of XBLM versus PSN early, Microsoft would not be in the yacht they travel in today within the console market.
  • The fact that Sony is making PSN a fully-featured online setup free of charge diminishes the value of Xbox Live's yearly fee tremendously. When the PS3 launched and PSN was trash, Xbox Live was worth the value. However, at this point in time, PSN has virtually the same level of features, and I don't think that anything Microsoft will announce can come close to competing with it.

The Xbox One is Microsoft going after Wii money. That's all.

Let them show off whatever they want at E3. Without games up front, gamers don't give a fuck. Announce them later after giving us so much mixed messaging? Still don't give a fuck.

#62 Posted by Subjugation (4719 posts) -

The cynicism is strong in this thread.

#63 Edited by BillyTheKid (484 posts) -

Its a video game console. It should play games

#64 Posted by ThePickle (4160 posts) -

How about no, and instead of fantasizing about what might be at E3 we discuss what we already know and what Microsoft themselves have chosen to highlight.

I'm glad we have people like you around to look out for our multi-billion dollar companies. Otherwise us consumers might actually be able to voice our opinions on how we chose to spend our money!

#65 Posted by spraynardtatum (2788 posts) -

@darji said:

@spraynardtatum said:

then do not hype it. do not pay a gaming site to show it.

Gaming sites still needed to show it. I think the internet would have melted if they didn't include the gaming audience at all.

The worst part about it is that they highlighted all the new features of the Xbox One and it all lacked innovation. It was Tivo on a different input (with conflicting answers on DVR capabilities), a sports app, and 1984 Kinect support.

We've seen all that stuff before and they were selling it like it was rock and roll.

Xbox One is to entertainment like Smash Mouth is to rock and roll.

#66 Posted by Andorski (5239 posts) -

@humanity said:

@andorski: But what are your thoughts on the incredibly negative reaction to the Microsoft conference which was focused on letting gamers know about all the other things they will be able to do apart from playing games in conjunction with your comment about wanting to do more on the dashboard? People seem incredibly upset because playing games is all they care about and the fact that Xbox One expands on other multimedia functions seems to enrage them to no end as most "gamers" seem to be incorrectly extrapolating this notion that adding more multimedia functions is somehow taking away from their gaming experience.

If people's current fears are that the Xbox One won't have games, then they should relax. The last generation has shown that the vast majority of games go multiplatform between the Playstation and Xbox. What I think people are flipping out about are all the rumors of how MS is handling the gaming section of the platform. Rumors such as:

• MS taking control of how people resell/rent/borrow games.
  • MS not targeting high end system specs and allocating relatively more resources to its OS.
  • MS not reaching out to developers (specifically indies) to ensure that they are capable to take full advantage of the hardware.

Since these are rumors, the attitude of being sour on how MS handling the Xbox platform is a preemptive. But these rumors are piling onto all the current problems MS has with the 360. The cost of Live, the treatment of indie games on XBLA, etc. So its understandable how people are just ready and willing to shit on whatever Microsoft does.

#67 Edited by Mikewarrior (77 posts) -

What I wonder is, Why didn't Microsoft just do E3 first since they waited so long anyways? Then after E3 do that TV/Sports crap of an Event.

Microsoft catered that console to the wrong demographic at first. You don't try to sell casuals on an expensive electronic at first. You slap your fans in the face for what YOU THINK is a more important market. It would have been far wiser to grab your core market first, and then go after the casuals.. . you guys know, like they did with the 360? I can only imagine how much worse it will be with the Xbone. Maybe 2 to 3 years Microsoft tries creating new IPs before they rely on nothing but their best few franchises over and over again.

#68 Posted by JudgeDread (572 posts) -

#69 Posted by lowestformofwit (194 posts) -

I do laugh at the morons who took the reveal to mean Microsoft aren't interested in games. They must have said about a million times before the reveal that they're keeping the games for E3 but yet a large percentage of their reveal was still dedicated to the biggest selling franchises in the industry. Yeah, these might not be too popular with the hardcore but I'm afraid the number of gamers who they do matter to, outnumber you, and by a long long way.

#70 Posted by Dylstew (20 posts) -

What's the point of a console if it's not dedicated to games? Might as well just only buy a PC than.

The convinience of a console pretty much is that you can just put the game in, press the on button and it will play(usually very quickly) and work and also run fine.(tough that's not always the casea anymore since this console generation). Game consoles work the best when they're made for one purpose:Playing games. Other things usually fuck it up.

#71 Posted by stryker1121 (1392 posts) -

First impressions, OP. MS made a lousy one for what you'd think is its core demo, and they should know that gamers are hyper-reactive children that will dismiss the console out of hand the second they see something they don't like. Then again, are "we" (core gamers who care enough about the medium to chat about it online) MS's main target anymore? That's the problem people seem to be having w/ the reveal.

#72 Edited by malbenus (10 posts) -
#73 Posted by Reisz (1478 posts) -

E3 may not be what you're expecting, I hope you aren't disappointed.

#74 Posted by falserelic (5394 posts) -

I wouldn't be surprise if Microsoft shows mostly kinect games at E3.

#75 Posted by GooieGreen (453 posts) -

Sorry, I forgot that we're allowed to have an opinion about how poorly Microsoft presented itself.

#76 Posted by Veiasma (194 posts) -

The cynicism is strong in this thread.

"Core gamers" live on pure cynicism.

#77 Edited by triple07 (1196 posts) -

I just want to stop seeing those topics on the forums part of Giant Bomb. I don't give a shit that you're not going to buy something, go do it quietly please.

#78 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@triple07 said:

I just want to stop seeing those topics on the forums part of Giant Bomb. I don't give a shit that you're not going to buy something, go do it quietly please.

why? because you do not like it? Who are you to be able to "demand" such a thing?

#79 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3628 posts) -

@mcfart said:

That's what E3 is for. MS is saving their games for the event where generally only enthusiast video game people watch. That May 21 event was like "yeah, our console can do other stuff too"

Because casual gamers take off work in the middle of the day on a Tuesday to watch a TV broadcast about the media features of the new Xbox? If you're believe the argument "well, that conference wasn't for you," then who the hell was that conference for, being broadcast on television in the middle of a Tuesday afternoon?

But yeah, a possible lack of focus on games is about the least of my issues with Microsoft at this point.

#80 Posted by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

Nevermind plans for next gen, MS has already done a pretty extensive job of burying games under a pile of ancillary trash on their existing current gen console. It's hard enough to find games I already know about and log on to Xbox Live marketplace specifically to buy, let alone be informed about sales or games I have no knowledge of.

#81 Edited by triple07 (1196 posts) -

@darji said:

@triple07 said:

why? because you do not like it? Who are you to be able to "demand" such a thing?

I never made any sort of demand of anyone, I'm simply stating that it has become very old very fast for me. I enjoy seeing threads on all types of topics here on Giant bomb but for the last week the majority of what I see is either "Microsoft is the devil: Here's why" or "I'm not buying the new Xbox because...". I don't understand the internet fascination with always bitching about something. Maybe the new Xbox just isn't for you? Why does it have to be somethin that consumes all discussion of anything relating to video games?

#82 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@triple07: Because it is a hot topic in the gaming industry right now. People wnat to talk about and they should be able to. Either if its positive or negative.

#83 Posted by TheHBK (5471 posts) -

If they weren't serious about games, they wouldn't have put work into that controller.

#84 Edited by triple07 (1196 posts) -

@darji: Yeah, I just feel that so little information has actually come out so far that I'm reading the same threads over and over again.

Also if they have the right to bitch about the new Xbox don't I have the right to bitch about them bitching?

#85 Posted by YOU_DIED (702 posts) -

TV?

#86 Posted by HockeyJohnston (65 posts) -

The real bottom line is: what's up with the used games situation and will there be PC-like price drops in their ecosystem?

#87 Edited by TrafalgarLaw (1106 posts) -

I wasn't aware that cable companies were allowed at E3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.