Phil Harrison: "Things" that use cloud compute in the works.

#1 Edited by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

Sounds to me like he's clearly referring to compute offloading. I'm more than ready to see this demo-ed. Also talks about 343 being focused on Halo. If Halo ends up being one of the first titles to put it to use, it would be pretty sweet.

Joe @joe_GeoThor

@XboxP3 Will we see full cloud-powered games? I mean, using all the power of the cloud....

Phil Spencer @XboxP3

@joe_GeoThor Given local CPU/GPU likely see XBOX One games using local compute but we have things incubating that are primarily cloud based.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2013/10/03/phil-spencer-xbox-one-can-certainly-do-1080p60fps-primarily-cloud-based-things-are-incubating/

#2 Posted by PandaBear (1373 posts) -

You know what, I really tried to understand the point of this post.

#3 Posted by Kaiserreich (699 posts) -

I like things

#4 Posted by Morningstar (2161 posts) -

Oh "things"

#5 Edited by TruthTellah (9100 posts) -

This Just In! Things and stuff are in the works at Microsoft.

#6 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

@truthtellah: More breaking news! Microsoft confirms their intention to use services they previously announced their intention to use for unknown future titles!

Xbox!

#7 Posted by Vuud (1996 posts) -

And are those things filled with stuff?

#8 Edited by TruthTellah (9100 posts) -

@truthtellah: More breaking news! Microsoft confirms their intention to use services they previously announced their intention to use for future titles!

Xbox!

Now, Phil Harrison, did you or did you not say that Microsoft would be conducting business in the electronics market? And are the rumors true that this business may involve computers and videogames?

#9 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

@truthtellah: I'm happy to once again announce that Microsoft will in fact be introducing the Xbox One to the electronics market and it WILL be a computer entertainment device designed to support video games AS WELL AS cable television, as we showed in a scripted demo months ago! In addition, the Xbox One will support cloud computing services to theoretically enhance video gaming experiences as we have vaguely described in previous interviews!

If you'd like to hear more information we've opaquely discussed in the past, please contact Xbox support. If you'd like to see how the Xbox One will specifically deliver entertainment experiences to consumers, then please buy one this holiday season!

#10 Edited by TruthTellah (9100 posts) -

@funkasaurasrex: Did we mention that it has videogames? Like the interactive electronic medium traditionally using a controller? Yeah, those are still a thing in the Xbox brand. Stay tuned for more information on videogames!

#11 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4208 posts) -

I'd like to see a F2P 64 player Unreal Tournament knockoff made by Microsoft, entirely cloud based. Cuz fuck it!

And also 1 vs. 100 Squared.

#12 Posted by Grixxel (766 posts) -

What are we talking about again?

Where the hell am I?

#13 Posted by TooWalrus (13200 posts) -

I've heard that they showed things at an internal microsoft meeting.

Show me yours, I'll show you mine.

#14 Edited by EXTomar (4736 posts) -

Sweet. An announcement of a pending announcement of ideas from internal meetings that may or may not result in anything. I'll be playing more Dota 2 while I wait for this magical "cloud based game".

#15 Posted by JasonR86 (9707 posts) -

lol

#16 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7096 posts) -

"Microsoft claims that cloud has more computing power than the most powerful PC, potentially cures Parkinson's Disease."

Oh and...

@jasonr86 said:

lol

#17 Posted by PandaBear (1373 posts) -

Yes, yes, we can all make jokes... but will it blend? That is the question.

#18 Posted by Nictel (2412 posts) -

The Power of the Cloud by Phil Harrison, with his hit single "Things" OUT NOW! Some time in the future!

#19 Posted by Village_Guy (2579 posts) -

Oh, I love things - especially things that got more things on the things with even more things on the things that are on the things with the things... things... things... THINGS!

#20 Edited by believer258 (11911 posts) -

"Microsoft claims that cloud has more computing power than the most powerful PC, potentially cures Parkinson's Disease."

Well, I mean, if Michael J. Fox is supporting this whole thing then I'm in too!

...unless the PS4 cures cancer and Jack Tretton just forgot to mention that because of all the other great things he was mentioning.

#21 Posted by Brendan (7810 posts) -

Cloud cloud cloud cloud cloud

#22 Edited by EXTomar (4736 posts) -

Could the power of the XBO using The Cloud create a boy band with Phil Harrison as the lead? Maybe that is the real announcement from this announcement and would definitely be a demonstration how powerful it is.

#23 Posted by CircleNine (381 posts) -

The Cloud (proper capitalization to show respect to the awesome power of The Cloud) is capable of doing things and shit like that. I really like the other cloud (not The Cloud so no capitalization) that I use from Amazon cause it's nice to just stream my music

#24 Edited by SomeJerk (3251 posts) -

man they don't require much quality over at the social marketing company

#25 Edited by GiantLizardKing (447 posts) -

Considering how poorly games as services have performed in the past (Diablo 3, Sim City etc.) I don't much like the idea of computation for single player games being handled on the cloud. I don't really look forward to a future where none of the big games work properly at launch.

#26 Edited by Veektarius (4836 posts) -

Cloud was pretty tough. He was no Cid Highwind, though. Microsoft should try to get him.

#27 Edited by AlexanderSheen (5008 posts) -

Oh... the Cloud! Now it makes sense.

#28 Edited by EXTomar (4736 posts) -

To be serious for a moment, the best software let alone games that use cloud architecture are ones that many probably don't realize use it. If marketing has to point out "Hey it uses The Cloud!!" then you may want to be suspicious of it.

#29 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2775 posts) -

The interesting thing about all this Azure/Cloud stuff is that obviously MS cannot now mandate an internet connection for MOST GAMES, I'm sure some game will insist upon it, like Titanfall, because that was the whole point of the game, and even the developer has gone on record that you promised it in teh contact. Yet, MS doesn't want to look dumb, so most games will need to replication what 'The Cloud' would have been doing for those offline people as well. That replication will probably be very good..because sorry to say it...most of what was going to be offloads was probably AI that is easy to fake.

Game Dude 1: "Oh look the AI cars go around the track so authentically, that's because of Azure!"
Game Dude 2: "What's an Azure?"
Game Dude 1: "Azure is the amazing system of remote servers that MS uses that makes XBOne better than PS4, because it offloads tricky calculation to the cloud."
Game Dude 2: "That's cool...what it use microwaves?"
Game Dude 1: No, it uses my high speed internet connection, that why MS wanted One to be always online. This "Cloud" stuff is Microsoft's ace in the hole...its so bad (The Wizard reference)
Game Dude 2: "Umm, dude... your mom walked in an hour ago and unplugged your Ethernet. We're been offline."
Game Dude 1" ...
Gamer Dude 2: "Yeah, I knew what Azure was, fool! But, I knew we were offline, so when you started saying you COULD TELL this was better, I decided to make fun of you."

#30 Posted by RoarImaDinosaur (191 posts) -
#31 Edited by believer258 (11911 posts) -

@roarimadinosaur: Well, shit, then I'm sticking to Sony, just like I was going to before!

#32 Posted by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

Fascinating discussion in here.

#33 Edited by EXTomar (4736 posts) -

Remember that you started it so if you are unhappy with the quality of the discussion then it is easy to find the source of the problem.

#34 Posted by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

@extomar said:

Remember that you started it so if you are unhappy with the quality of the discussion then it is easy to find the source of the problem.

I did and I wanted to see just how long it would go, before one intelligent reply or a funny joke. Still waiting.

#35 Edited by TruthTellah (9100 posts) -

@extomar said:

I did and I wanted to see just how long it would go, before one intelligent reply or a funny joke. Still waiting.

Hey now. No reason to be rude. Some of us are just having fun. You have to admit that it at least -sounds- rather vague, and that's a good bit of the joke here. Obviously this is good news, but since it's unclear what this really means, I don't see why people can't have a little fun with it. :)

#36 Edited by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

@alexglass said:

@extomar said:

Hey now. No reason to be rude. Some of us are just having fun. You have to admit that it at least -sounds- rather vague, and that's a good bit of the joke here. Obviously this is good news, but since it's unclear what this really means, I don't see why people can't have a little fun with it. :)

Nothing wrong but the entire thing reads like this to me:

"Pull my finger"

"Ha, ha Gotcha!"

I at least expect some good jokes in a thread that ends up like this.

#37 Posted by TruthTellah (9100 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

@alexglass said:

@extomar said:

Nothing wrong but the entire thing reads like this to me:

"Pull my finger"

"Ha, ha Gotcha!"

I at least expect some good jokes in a thread that ends up like this.

Oof. Tough crowd.

http://media.giphy.com/media/wxWo79iar36mY/giphy.gif

#38 Posted by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

Rodney helps a little.

#39 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

343 can't make good Halo games and THE CLOUD can't make your games run or look better.

MS does it again.

THE CLOUD!

#40 Posted by Strife777 (1580 posts) -

"Things" coming primarily from the clouds? Is he saying Rain is somehow being ported to the Xbox One for some reason?

*KAPOW*

#41 Edited by EXTomar (4736 posts) -

@alexglass said:

@extomar said:

It sounds like the joke is on you. If you need a big hint: If you want intelligent discussion, start with an intelligent statement. Dropping a link to a vague "talk about things" is pretty stupid.

#42 Edited by Rafaelfc (1348 posts) -

So "Things" will stop working whenever they decide to pull the metaphorical plug? Thanks, but no, thanks

#43 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -
#44 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

It took Phil Harrison for people to realize this?
That's very interesting

Edit: fucking keyboard

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.