Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

PS4 now has folders. Are there any features you still want on Xbox One?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

In the past, I've heard PS4 owners complain about not being able to sort their games with folders, not being able to change their PSN ID, not being able to appear offline, not being able to use an external hard drive, etc. Some of those problems have now been addressed, but not owning an Xbox One, I was wondering how things are on the other side.

Xbox One owners, are there any features that PS4 offers that you're still missing? Are there any features the 360 offered that still aren't available on the Xbox One? Anything else missing that you wish was there?

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I was going to say I miss being able to play music in the background without using some shitty service but apparently there's now an app for that called "Simple Background Music Player" (descriptive but not too catchy) So.. no, not really.

fnrslvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By fnrslvr

Well now I want folders. Thanks, jerk.

(What are folders? Like hierarchical file system folders that you can name whatever you want?)

I don't know. A "details list" view of my games library instead of a grid of tiles would be nice, though now that I can have mini-tiles and vertical scrolling it's probably fine. I'm sure I've thought of other things before, but it seems fine for what it is and they seem intent on iterating on it.

EDIT: oh, whilst I don't need it personally, wider peripheral support for e.g. last-gen fight sticks would go a long way. The PS4...kinda does this with that Skullgirls driver, to varying extents depending on the game?

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

The only thing that is still missing from the PS4 in my mind is the cool achievement progress tracking that Xbox One has. The rarity is super cool (Xbox One should steal that too) though it's neat to see how close you are to unlocking various achievements.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Feature-wise, I don't really have any serious complaints left. Background music was the last big one, but that actually does work via Groove and OneDrive now, and with Horizon 3's radio about to actually take advantage of that in-game, that's pretty damn cool. Also, getting some of the backwards compatible games I'd wanted like RDR, CoD: Black Ops, Forza Horizon, etc. was a needed development to take advantage of that feature. The changes they made within the My Games & Apps section organize that pretty well, IMO, and I don't have any real issue sorting games or needing folders, especially since I can pin them to the dashboard as I see fit. The external storage system is perfect. That's one they really nailed by making it view as combined available space, with the ability to manage/move things accordingly if you go deeper. I guess one remaining feature that would be nice is custom gamerpics, but then they'd probably have to have staffers whose sole job is to make sure people aren't posting pictures of their junk.

Most of my issues at this point are relatively minor usability qualms. I wish they'd cut down the latency on the dashboard and allow the tiles to be fully rearranged (the new location of the My Games & Apps button is terrible and often causes me to tab over when I didn't want to). I wish they'd streamline a few processes as well. Screenshots and video captures are far more of chore than they need to be. Game DVR and Upload Studio do not need to be separate apps (and need to crash less), and I don't get why you have to manually upload everything to OneDrive. Captured content should just automatically go there, or at least allow you to set it where it does. It's always one or two steps more than it needs to be. (While we're at it, it would be cool if GB recognized OneDrive as a video service, which adds another layer of export and upload to youtube or the like if I want to share anything here, but that one isn't really on MS.) Finally, I ended up giving up on Cortana and reverting to the "Xbox ____" commands because they seem to work better and require less effort, but even those sadly have fallen back to wonky early Kinect quality after they routed most of the power away from it when Kinect failed. I get that the market disagreed and thus why MS abandoned it, but I loved my Kinect when they had it working great. I'm in the vast minority there, though, so I'm not exactly pissed that they're no longer supporting an untenable product to appease very few like me.

Overall, they've been pretty great about addressing user feedback (probably because they had to be after the launch snafus). I'm really happy with the console for the most part. A great deal of the criticism the console has received was massively overblown, and I'm happy to see that people are finally coming around on it a bit of late. It was never half as bad as a bunch of people pretended it was, and Spencer's tenure has made the Xbox One pretty damn awesome. I'm fully on board with MS as long as he's running the show. I feel like my Xbox has more than paid for itself already, and I'm excited to see what Scorpio will be. I hope it retains all the X1 features I've come to mostly know and love, but I'm in gravy territory either way. I'd be perfectly fine holding onto my launch Xbox for a few more years, but would not be opposed to buying the Scorpio for my living room to allow me to move the Xbox and add an entertainment hub to another room. In short, I like what they've done and are doing with the Xbox One. It has found its stride, and it's not really lacking in any major way at this point. It's my favorite of all the consoles I've ever owned.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

A fast menu.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The store needs serious work. It's pretty easy if you're looking for something brand new or have something specific in mind. But, there's no easy way to browse. You can't sort by genre, and the list of games gets cut off at a certain point. There's effectively no way to look at a list of older game released on the system. It's bad.

Otherwise, I'm pretty much fine with it.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I'd buy a PS4 today if it had backwards compatibility at least digitally.

I know that won't ever happen and why that's not feasible financially for them, but that's what ultimately made me exit the Sony ecosystem after being with them since the launch of the PS1 and probably buying hundreds of titles.

Now Steam/GoG/Origin gets my business.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my god the new PS4 interface is the ugliest thing I've seen in... A while. Who thought this was a good idea?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my god the new PS4 interface is the ugliest thing I've seen in... A while. Who thought this was a good idea?

Perhaps I value functionality over aesthetics, but I think it's a huge improvement. I especially love the new customizable quick menu.

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By theanticitizen

The overlay interface(Guide on the 360). Still better than always popping back to the home screen. I wish MS did like Sony and if you hold the guide button it brings up friends and everything and the power options. Double tapping that guide button is so hit or miss in terms of response time

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The overlay interface(Guide on the 360). Still better than always popping back to the home screen. I wish MS did like Sony and if you hold the guide button it brings up friends and everything and the power options. Double tapping that guide button is so hit or miss in terms of response time

On PS4, a double tap of the PS button toggles between your game and the last menu that you were in. It works nicely if you want to quickly go back and forth between your game and a certain menu or application.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@theanticitizen said:

On PS4, a double tap of the PS button toggles between your game and the last menu that you were in. It works nicely if you want to quickly go back and forth between your game and a certain menu or application.

I used that thing for The Witness puzzles all the time (swapping back and forth between the game and screenshots), and basically never, otherwise :)

theanticitizen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By theanticitizen

@spaceinsomniac: funny, I was just watching the launch videos on GB of both the Xbox One and the PS4 and when I saw them do that on the video I ran over to my PS4 and tried it. Kind of blew my mind ha ha had the thing two years and never noticed that feature(though I am usually on Xbox One)

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac: funny, I was just watching the launch videos on GB of both the Xbox One and the PS4 and when I saw them do that on the video I ran over to my PS4 and tried it. Kind of blew my mind ha ha had the thing two years and never noticed that feature(though I am usually on Xbox One)

Yep. Voice commands using the headset is another PS4 feature that a lot of people seem to not realize is there.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I actually prefer the Xbox UI to the PS4. Xbox is a bit slower but I find it more navigable.

Except for the Store. I think the Xbox store makes it actively difficult to find games. PS store is not great, it's mainly super slow due to their terrible network, but the Xbox store is a pile of garbage

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.