Rumors going around that this will be unveiled in April

#1 Edited by dungbootle (2458 posts) -
#2 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4235 posts) -

Hum. I kinda wish they would reveal it at GDC, even if it was their own event. ~ I forgot where I read, but I think the 360 was announce at a GDC.

But that's still too many months. Leaks about the Kinect 2 don't really matter as much as a "meeting," it turns out.

#3 Posted by therealnelsk (308 posts) -

I really, really hope the "Kinect 2" is not their ace. Sony put up some _real_ content, and I hope Microsoft with follow, because they're certainly capable of it.

#4 Posted by Nightriff (5156 posts) -

Curious to hear what they say, I jumped ship years ago because I didn't like the direction they went and currently still are going. Personally I want them to bomb, essentially just talk about kinect 2 and family gaming/netflix type stuff the whole time, but if they prove me wrong, I will be the first to admit it.

#5 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

Xbox Durango, now with Windows 8!

*collective groan*

#6 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4235 posts) -

I dunno man. The fact that (Sony) barely showed any interface, doesn't sit well with me. I honestly care more about messaging and ease of use, than grahphics. ~ They could Sure prove me wrong, though.. .

#7 Posted by Animasta (14713 posts) -

I dunno man. The fact that (Sony) barely showed any interface, doesn't sit well with me. I honestly care more about messaging and ease of use, than grahphics. ~ They could Sure prove me wrong, though.. .

that stuff doesn't have to be locked in until the console is closer to launch you know.

#8 Posted by thatlad (72 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: Given the focus on 'social' I doubt Sony will drop the ball. I'm not too concerned about messaging myself, I just want good games and no bullshit

#9 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2363 posts) -

Rumors are always dumb. Will continue to ignore them until official confirmation.

#10 Posted by MAGZine (438 posts) -

I've heard they're still targeting holiday 2013.

#12 Posted by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: same here, especially with Sony. Microsoft got a lot of that stuff right day one of the xbox, sony has so much catching up in that area.

@m3rphy: Kinect will be their ace but not it's use in games. I'd be surprised if system level voice stuff wasn't what they focused on. They're cable of showing that and the amount of games that you want. Personally I've never been a fan of when Sony and MS show 3rd party stuff. I'd rather them have show a decent exclusive lineup than, here's call of duty, here's star wars 1313, here's metal gear v, here's final fantasy. Obviously I wanna see all that, just not at their event.

@nightriff: Why? That's easily the worst thing that could happen to the industry. You want competition, you don't want Sony going back to who they used to be. Thinking that their gods. That's why the PS3 happened.

@damisterchief: remember when before the 360, consoles were announced 2 years ahead of time?

Anyways I was kinda hoping they were going to do it before GDC so devs could start to actually openly talk about it there.

#13 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

Microsoft is going to do everything to make the press happy that Sony didn't. I think they will go for cheaper, less impressive hardware but focus heavily on integration with mobile device, Windows 8, and the cloud. Expect to see a lot of media and entertainment services along with expanded social services, similar to what Sony talked about. Less games, more services and integration. I expect they will also show a successor to their Kinect technology, and we'll see the actual console and the release date / price to appease the press.

#14 Posted by Tajasaurus (898 posts) -

Yeah, makes sense. If they want to launch holidays of 2013 they will need to reveal something soon so they can start marketing. Especially if they intend to go head-to-head with the Playstation. I wouldn't be surprised to see something late March/early April.

#15 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Since Sony has already announced the PS4, does Microsoft gain anything by announcing the next Xbox before E3?

#16 Posted by Demoskinos (15019 posts) -

Im a dude who preordered the 360 6-Months out and I've got to say unless Microsoft can wow me Im throwing in with Sony.

#17 Posted by Jimbo (9871 posts) -

I think you mean 'unchained'.

#18 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

@skrutop said:

Since Sony has already announced the PS4, does Microsoft gain anything by announcing the next Xbox before E3?

Not spending the whole E3 conference talking about a console, when they could be showing games.

#19 Posted by Davvyk (694 posts) -

I've mainly been an XBOX and PC man this generation and Sony genuinely excited me with their very gamer focused approach.

I don't know if thats the reason why, but im feeling kinda cold on Microsoft at the moment. I hope they prove me very wrong though.

#20 Edited by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

@skrutop said:

PS4 being the only next-gen console people/developers can talk about for a few months. Sony can release a steady stream of information to get people talking. Sony being viewed as ballsy and Microsoft being viewed as too scared to make a move. All the devs at GDC only being able to talk about PS4 development etc. Pretty much they can establish their brand and what the PS4 is about for longer, while dominating all game news/conference talk.

#21 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

I can't wait to find out!

#22 Posted by Sander (414 posts) -

News/rumours saying that the reveal has been pushed to May 21. I wonder if it's to allow some cooling off time to make it easier to swallow that it will be always on-line.

#23 Edited by oraknabo (1505 posts) -
#24 Edited by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

@oraknabo:

This article confuses me greatly. Mainly this part because what the fuck:

Thurrott added even more to mull over. "Durango" is likely to be expensive, he said -- $500 for the console itself and $300 for the annual Xbox Live subscription.

EDIT: After further reading, it seems like that's supposed to be for a subscription model, not just the service itself.

#25 Posted by oraknabo (1505 posts) -

@oraknabo: If that's true it just proves that MS is going the same route Sony went last time around.

It's funny, the 360 turned out to be the PS2 of the last gen and now it looks like their next one will be the PS3 of this one.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.