Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Rumour: MS considering Game Resale Marketplace

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

If a recent forum post is true, Microsoft may be working on introducing a digital marketplace that lets you resell your used games to other Xbox One owners.

Although unconfirmed, the NeoGaf post outlines a supposedly leaked survey that suggests Microsoft is introducing a virtual place where Xbox One used games can be bought and sold at various prices, depending on included features; in essence, a virtual used game store where players sell to and buy from other players.

The survey also mentions the use of premium services, such as an Xbox Live Gold subscription (Or PlayStation Plus, if Sony introduces the rumored virtual marketplace). This seems to suggest that only members paying for these services will have access to the digital store.

We've reached out to Microsoft for comment, but the rumor is still unconfirmed.

No Caption Provided

IGN: Microsoft May Be Considering a Digital Game Resale Marketplace

This would be so crazy if it came true. GameStop would be pretty outgunned if this turned out to be the case. Wal-Mart and Best Buy would probably even be happy about this, I'm thinking.

No company has ever done this before, and would be a challenge for Steam, Nintendo, and Sony to 1UP.

Realistically, I wonder how it would work. If you sell a digital game back, then how many Used Digital Games are in stock through XBL? Because the number would really be more like infinite number of used copies, but only limit to some? Like say, Mario's Olympics 2014 Jam, didn't sell too many copies Digitally New. In a physical world, there would then not be any Used copies for them to sell.

Like with GameStop, they just get a bunch of New copies, open them up, and sell them jacked up as used, in some cases.

Actually, what keeps me with Best Buy right now is that if you sign up for their Gamer's Club thing, you get $10 per game from a coupon from a list they have. It used to be $20 coupons, but its like $15 a year, and you get a year of @gamer included. If this came out, I would so-o ditch that shit, and just do digital. I could maybe get $40-$50 worth back from every couple of games. And this Digital Resale Front would be for ALL XBL games, so I would never get 50 cents back for Tekken 5 ever again!

Anyway, do you think you would be buying more physical or digital copies from XBL, if this were the case? Thoughts?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EXTomar

It is a nice sentiment but the reality is a lot of games aren't worth reselling and they are even less so for digital games. And when you are buying used game it is often for a specific game. What does a "used digital game" mean anyway??

Used games have always been a reflection of a market with pricing skewed higher than the entertainment value received. Many games aren't worth paying $60 to experience. When you have a digital market and store front selling the same game for $10 renders selling it off as moot.

And a new angle not covered is if a game that requires infrastructure but goes offline (think an MMO), how much is that digital game worth now??

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By AlexGlass

This would be huge. Bigger even than the digital game sharing feature and was what I wanted to see, although I was hoping they would just allow Ebay be one of their participating retailers in their original plan(when there were rumors of a fee, etc). Having said that the rumor came from CBOAT so.....as always, take it with a huge grain of salt. And IGN is just regurgitating his posts.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Will the used digital game include a manual, original box art?

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EXTomar

@bigjeffrey said:

Will the used digital game include a manual, original box art?

You will get "hand drawn" artwork and retyped up instructions in PDF format because the the place it came from was a Blockbuster!

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

I'll just summarize what I said in the original CBOAT thread:

This seems ridiculous. Maybe it is an idea being experimented with inside Microsoft, but I can't see it actually making it to market. It just doesn't make sense...there isn't a finite supply of a digital good, so how do you sell "used" copies that are indistinguishable from "brand new" copies? The terms "used" and "new" don't even make sense in that context.

The "trading in" portion seems somewhat plausible in that you would essentially just be receiving a little money for relinquishing your ownership of a game (that little bit of money incentivizing you to put more money into the digital marketplace to buy more games). The "reselling" makes no sense though. The game gets deleted from your hard drive, but there's still just one copy of that game sitting on a download server. No matter how many people traded in their digital game, there would still just be one copy sitting on that download server. You aren't trading in something that would need to then be sold second-hand. So, the prospect of selling a used digital game seems just flat out weird.

ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#7  Edited By ManMadeGod
    @extomar said:

It is a nice sentiment but the reality is a lot of games aren't worth reselling and they are even less so for digital games. And when you are buying used game it is often for a specific game. What does a "used digital game" mean anyway??

Used games have always been a reflection of a market with pricing skewed higher than the entertainment value received. Many games aren't worth paying $60 to experience. When you have a digital market and store front selling the same game for $10 renders selling it off as moot.

And a new angle not covered is if a game that requires infrastructure but goes offline (think an MMO), how much is that digital game worth now??

I wouldn't be surprised if you can only transfer your game license to users on your friends list

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is something I can get behind. Hopefully it's fair....oh god....

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll just summarize what I said in the original CBOAT thread:

This seems ridiculous. Maybe it is an idea being experimented with inside Microsoft, but I can't see it actually making it to market. It just doesn't make sense...there isn't a finite supply of a digital good, so how do you sell "used" copies that are indistinguishable from "brand new" copies? The terms "used" and "new" don't even make sense in that context.

The "trading in" portion seems somewhat plausible in that you would essentially just be receiving a little money for relinquishing your ownership of a game (that little bit of money incentivizing you to put more money into the digital marketplace to buy more games). The "reselling" makes no sense though. The game gets deleted from your hard drive, but there's still just one copy of that game sitting on a download server. No matter how many people traded in their digital game, there would still just be one copy sitting on that download server. You aren't trading in something that would need to then be sold second-hand. So, the prospect of selling a used digital game seems just flat out weird.

There would be if you can truly limit them through DRM. Not any different than physical discs. I mean you can sell Windows licenses as well with unique keys. I don't see why second hand ownership -or better yet called, second hand residual value -needs to be abandoned with going digital. I think some gamers are arguing for the wrong side here.

Why would you want this ability for physical discs, and scream bloody murder, but be perfectly ok with not having it for digital? I'm not. I want some way of leveraging the value of my digital library, which is worth something. Whether that's through some sort of digital distribution selling, sharing system, I don't really care.

But in order for me to truly get behind digital, I need some residual value. One of the main reasons I stopped thinking of getting the Xbox One at launch. That digital gaming feature was very freaking important to me. I know exactly where we'll be in 8-10 years and as great as it is that Steam offers cheap new games....not good enough for me. Wouldn't want that model to be the model going forward.

Steam's a model I could only really accept for a cloud gaming service, like OnLive, with little upfront cost on hardware or major contractual obligation, and would treat it as a digital gaming arcade rental service.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet my nuts there's a catch.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I bet my nuts there's a catch.

You have to have Gold to cash in?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By xyzygy

Like others have said, this could be huge. I am really a fan of buying games used, and if I could do that online AND benefit the developers, then that's the way to go. I really only see the only catch to this Gold, and I don't really think it's that big of a deal. Paying 60 bucks a year in order to access cheap, used digital games is pretty amazing. Maybe instead of doing discounts themselves (like Steam and PS+), MS is looking to leave it up to the consumer for discounts.

All they'd need to do is add DRM to that single used game so that a new console owner owns the game and can play it whenever. And then remove that specific game from the marketplace after sale.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

The idea of this sounds great, I think it's inevitable that it'll happen, I'm just curious to see what the seller's cut is going to end up looking on these types of things. It'll go without saying the publisher and console maker will want a cut of the profits, so at some point it just becomes pointless if you're taking too much of a hit on already too little in value.

Guess we'll see how it plays out.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bring back the DRM, one step at the time.I had my suspects ever since Whitten said he couldn't assure that they aren't changing their policies in future after they did the 180 turn.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By EXTomar

If the vendor has a strictly controlled DRM platform why bother selling "used digital games"? If the vendor has a strictly controlled DRM platform then it becomes easy to give out "rewards". It is much simpler and straightforward to offer a digital store with dynamic pricing and robust levels of rewards than what is proposed. Why bother with a digital store plus another store that handles things differently because it was "used" along with the exact mechanism to handle the exchange?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.