Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Rumour: MS looking to lessen XONE price gap

• 121 results
    Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

.. But that wasn't his most interesting piece of information. According to Sebastion, Microsoft is "working with channel partners to lessen the [price] gap." Despite earlier reports by Don Mattrick, who said that the company was a firm believer in their price and sounded as if they were unwilling to compromise, that might not be the truth.

Would a price cut of $50 change your mind? How about $100, ..

examiner: Sebastian: Microsoft working to lesson the price gap between the Xbox One & PS4

I dunno man, seems just a tad bit sketchy. But I would think that MS is always looking at price, so if Mattrick wanted to keep the premium price, and now he's gone, yea I could see them dropping it a bit. As a realistic price, I see $430 happening as the lowest price the XONE could go. I just don't know about that $400 price match. E.g. 500 gig hard drive, the Kinect 2.0, motorized triggers, etc. Thoughts?

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They should just get rid of Kinect and be done. That piece of crap doesn't need to be out there.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

.. But that wasn't his most interesting piece of information. According to Sebastion, Microsoft is "working with channel partners to lessen the [price] gap." Despite earlier reports by Don Mattrick, who said that the company was a firm believer in their price and sounded as if they were unwilling to compromise, that might not be the truth.

examiner: Sebastian: Microsoft working to lesson the price gap between the Xbox One & PS4

I dunno man, seems just a tad bit sketchy. But I would think that MS is always looking at price, so if Mattrick wanted to keep the premium price, and now he's gone, yea I could see them dropping it a bit. As a realistic price, I see $430 happening as the lowest price the XONE could go. I just don't know about that $400 price match. E.g. 500 gig hard drive, the Kinect 2.0, motorized triggers, etc. Thoughts?

They could not really do that this close to release. What about people who have all ready fully paid it off? I only have about 100 bucks left on mine. What will they do? Refund that extra money?

Niceanims

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A price cut would help, but I'm still more excited for a PS4. Also, "lessen."

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see M$ doing a price cut, but if it happens then o well.

Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Pudge

It wont affect me, but I imagine it would help them. I'm set on just upgrading my video card on my PC and riding out the first year with only Steam releases.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They already lost me. All of this scrambling to make up ground isn't going to change anything.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By DarthOrange

This is probably true. No one wants to be the most expensive console on the market.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I hope it does not mean sacrificing anything.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Syed117

The rumors are getting out of hand. Seems to be a new one every week.

I don't want them to remove kinect. There has to be something that makes these consoles different besides some degree of raw power.

Don't care either way. Both my consoles are already paid off. Getting $100 back would be fine, but not by cutting the kinect.

Gamers are extremely short sighted. They laugh about features and potential they have zero understanding of. Things we accept now as the norm seemed just as ridiculous when they were introduced. Rumble in controllers, analog sticks, triggers as we know them, a unified online friends system. I don't want two boxes with nothing new to bring to gaming besides shiny new graphics. I'm getting a ps4, but from a hardware perspective, they are pushing pixels and not much else.

I don't know if the new kinect will bring anything new to table, but the potential is there. It might add up to nothing, or it could mean direct speech and gestures become a major way to interact with our games.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blu3v3nom07 said:

They could not really do that this close to release. What about people who have all ready fully paid it off? I only have about 100 bucks left on mine. What will they do? Refund that extra money?

Unless you're preordering it from the Microsoft store they don't have anyone's money yet.

Why would you pay for it before you can pick it up anyway? If you have $500 laying around get that money working for you until you need it.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_laughing_man said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

Unless you're preordering it from the Microsoft store they don't have anyone's money yet.

Why would you pay for it before you can pick it up anyway? If you have $500 laying around get that money working for you until you need it.

Trade ins at gamestop.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By TheHBK

@rafaelfc said:

They should just get rid of Kinect and be done. That piece of crap doesn't need to be out there.

Oh my god, you have actually used it? See, this is what is wrong with gaming sites. Rookies like this. Call something a piece of crap and haven't even used it. One thing I have learned, being a real gamer, not a hyperbolic shock jock, is that peripherals do not work if you sell them separately.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now why would M$ get rid of the Kinect? Everybody loves it, apparently we all asked for it. Besides its got some of the best games we've ever seen.

Loading Video...

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

No price cut would change my mind, I paid for a launch PS3 so price of a product means little to me. You are still the inferior console with a camera I don't want, so if you drop below...350 then lets talk.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No price cut would change my mind, I paid for a launch PS3 so price of a product means little to me. You are still the inferior console with a camera I don't want, so if you drop below...350 then lets talk.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It's still presumably the less-powerful console and it still doesn't have the games I want.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehbk said:

@rafaelfc said:

Oh my god, you have actually used it? See, this is what is wrong with gaming sites. Rookies like this. Call something a piece of crap and haven't even used it. One thing I have learned, being a real gamer, not a hyperbolic shock jock, is that peripherals do not work if you sell them separately.

I did and I hate the kinect.

Go back to playing Sonic Free Riders, real gamer.

matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By matti00

Have game developers taken back that stuff they said publicly and on the record about how much they hate working with Microsoft? If not, then I'm still out. From all accounts the entire organisation is one big clusterfuck, and I'd like to get out now while I have the chance.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

@syed117 said:

Gamers are extremely short sighted. They laugh about features and potential they have zero understanding of. Things we accept now as the norm seemed just as ridiculous when they were introduced. Rumble in controllers, analog sticks, triggers as we know them, a unified online friends system. I don't want two boxes with nothing new to bring to gaming besides shiny new graphics. I'm getting a ps4, but from a hardware perspective, they are pushing pixels and not much else.

I don't know if the new kinect will bring anything new to table, but the potential is there. It might add up to nothing, or it could mean direct speech and gestures become a major way to interact with our games.

/Thread.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@deranged said:
    @syed117 said:

/Thread.

NOTHING BLEW UP IN THE LAST 5 SECONDS I AM BORED!

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged said:

@the_laughing_man said:

NOTHING BLEW UP IN THE LAST 5 SECONDS I AM BORED!

No Caption Provided

*cough*

When Kinect first came out I also thought it stupid. And back then it was. It was aimed big time at kids and the E3 stuff was stupid (SKITTLES)

But it started to grow and now it seems quite cool. I might not use it but the idea of being able to track where your eyes look might be cool or being able to have head tracking would be awesome.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they wanted to pretty much undercut the PS4 price, they'd offer a kinect less SKU, 349.99

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they wanted to pretty much undercut the PS4 price, they'd offer a kinect less SKU, 349.99

They have all ready said they are not removing the Kinect. They made a promise to developers that all systems will have it.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

MS has already sold out of pre-orders, so why would this be on the table exactly?

Rumors...

Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Kinect first came out I also thought it stupid. And back then it was. It was aimed big time at kids and the E3 stuff was stupid (SKITTLES)

But it started to grow and now it seems quite cool. I might not use it but the idea of being able to track where your eyes look might be cool or being able to have head tracking would be awesome.

Honestly mate, I remain eager to see how and what developers may be able to do with this "improved" Kinect. Most of the reason why motion controls tend to fail is because of the pessimism and impatience generated from gamers.

I wasn't too keen on the original Kinect but from what I've heard so far, it could be something different. Graphics are nice and all, but that doesn't make it "next-gen" by it's lonesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see it happening.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged said:

Honestly mate, I remain eager to see how and what developers may be able to do with this "improved" Kinect. Most of the reason why motion controls tend to fail is because of the pessimism and impatience generated from gamers.

I wasn't too keen on the original Kinect but from what I've heard so far, it could be something different. Graphics are nice and all, but that doesn't make it "next-gen" by it's lonesome.

Im excited for Twitch streaming and being able to play a game and have my twitter feed up wile I play a game.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This doesn't apply to everyone obviously, but here is how I look at it.

I have a massive extended family that is spread all over the world. Just about everyone uses Skype. I use it as well and if the extra $100 leads to nothing but me having a fantastic way to video conference with them, that's fine by me. All that extra stuff it can do could be absolutely worthless, but $100 is not a lot to spend on a dedicated conferencing system considering how much other companies have tried to charge for it. Millions of people use Skype on a regular basis. I'm sure some of those people will also have an xbox one. They will get some real use out of that feature even if it is a purely secondary function to whatever it can do for gaming. Yeah, I use it on my phone and my pc, but that's not the same as brining into the living room in front of the tv.

At the end of the day, there will be great gaming experiences on both the ps4 and the xbox one. Anyone who tries to argue against that is an idiot. It doesn't matter if you have a personal vendetta against Microsoft because they killed your best friend when you were a child. Great games exist on all platforms and if you want to play them all, you have to have all the platforms.

I would really love it if the xbox one and ps4 cost more than $1000 each. That would be terrible for the corporations, but would weed out so many of the babies

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A question to anyone and I'm not going to troll this time.

Are you actually excited for the kinect, and do you believe it will greatly enhance your gaming experience?

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

@rafaelfc said:

@thehbk said:

@rafaelfc said:

I did and I hate the kinect.

Go back to playing Sonic Free Riders, real gamer.

You are nothing but a liar. Haven't used the Kinect 2.0. And Sonic R is better. Shows how much you know, Rookie.

@deranged said:
    @syed117 said:

/Thread.

Word. I remember the talk when Nintendo put an Analog sticks were coming back and how dumb that was because they hadn't been part of consoles for more than ten years since the Atari reigned. But as you say, even if the extra features fizzle out, they are trying something new. Isn't that what we complain about in our games? That they are the same, but shouldn't we get new things with our consoles too?

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A question to anyone and I'm not going to troll this time.

Are you actually excited for the kinect, and do you believe it will greatly enhance your gaming experience?

I'm excited to not pay for Kinect. I had a 360 that red-ringed, missed out on the Kinect bubble. I wanna play some Dance Central and lose weight, do some skype with my cousins from cities away. And i like the gaming enhancements DR3 is bringing, where if I drop like my phone the zombies will hear it. I'm sure like a Double Fine's Happy Action Theater 3 will be beyond fantastic on Kinect 2.0

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

@syed117 said:

I'm getting a ps4, but from a hardware perspective, they are pushing pixels and not much else.

They're bringing streaming, recording/sharing, uploading to Youtube, social integration, play while you download functionality, day 1 digital, music and video streaming, core basic camera functionality that will work with the PS4 camera for people who want that.

At the end of the day, they're bringing great games to a games console. You can have your opinion, but that doesn't mean your opinion is right for everyone.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will never understand someone who would give money to these people and entrust them with a gaming system after all these embarrassing blunders and constant plan-changing. This gaming system has been a fiasco, how anyone would be on team Xbone is beyond me.

I'm a PC player so I have no horse in this race.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will never understand someone who would give money to these people and entrust them with a gaming system after all these embarrassing blunders and constant plan-changing. This gaming system has been a fiasco, how anyone would be on team Xbone is beyond me.

I've now pre-ordered both, as of late. Thanks for telling me about your horse.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krakn3dfx: yes, they are. Xbox one is also bringing every single one those things you mentioned. Plus more.

None of those things have anything to do with how we play games. The basic interaction remains unchanged. Everyone wants to run and cry about Microsoft making nothing but shooters and the xbox being a platform for shooters. Then when they spend real time and money trying to bring something new, people end up complaining about that as well. I'm the first to admit the first kinect is a joke, but people enjoyed it. I wasn't one of them and I could have easily seen them getting rid of it. Instead they pushed on and are trying to make it better. That's where real innovation comes from. You don't just give up after a single attempt. Sonys camera will never take off. Accessories rarely do. Kinect was a huge success but having it built into the system means that developers can take risks and try different things because every single xbox one owner will have it.

Where will the innovation aside from what you see on the screen come from? Is there some crazy new hardware feature in the PS4 that could potentially fundmentally change the way we interact with games? That 2 inch touch area on the controller? Or the little speaker like the Wiimote has? No.

For the record, Skype will never be on ps4. It exists for Sony TVs, but Microsoft wont allow it for PS4.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing really trivial about the system for me.

Is it going to play games? - yes

Will it last me maybe half a decade? - probably

Does it play Halo? - yes

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

@jouseldelka said:

Nothing really trivial about the system for me.

Is it going to play games? - yes

Will it last me maybe half a decade? - probably

Does it play Halo? - yes

Can you order Pizza hut?

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Hunkulese

What?

Read the first part of your post then the last part. Does not compute.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

@syed117 said:

@krakn3dfx: yes, they are. Xbox one is also bringing every single one those things you mentioned. Plus more.

None of those things have anything to do with how we play games. The basic interaction remains unchanged. Everyone wants to run and cry about Microsoft making nothing but shooters and the xbox being a platform for shooters. Then when they spend real time and money trying to bring something new, people end up complaining about that as well. I'm the first to admit the first kinect is a joke, but people enjoyed it. I wasn't one of them and I could have easily seen them getting rid of it. Instead they pushed on and are trying to make it better. That's where real innovation comes from. You don't just give up after a single attempt. Sonys camera will never take off. Accessories rarely do. Kinect was a huge success but having it built into the system means that developers can take risks and try different things because every single xbox one owner will have it.

Where will the innovation aside from what you see on the screen come from? Is there some crazy new hardware feature in the PS4 that could potentially fundmentally change the way we interact with games? That 2 inch touch area on the controller? Or the little speaker like the Wiimote has? No.

For the record, Skype will never be on ps4. It exists for Sony TVs, but Microsoft wont allow it for PS4.

Again, keep your opinions, I have heard way more developers talk about how cool the touchpad on the DS4 is and how they're taking advantage of it than people talking about the Kinect (cell phone for Watch Dogs, inventory for Diablo 3, etc.)

I have Skype on everything, and I don't use it there, and for the record, it's on the Vita, so never say never.

At least I can man up and say what bothers me about the XBO and say that no, I won't be buying it for those reasons.

Syed117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Syed117

Fair enough, but a touch pad is not different than what we have now. Touch screens exists and for more than two points. They are also much bigger. Again, you are getting technology that is inferior to every other version. It's not a screen, it only allows for two touch points, and it is extremely small.

Mentioning that you personally have heard developers talking about how great the touchpad is is no better than me saying that everyone is saying how great the kinect is. The vita has a touch panel that is significantly larger than the dual shock 4s. There have been few games that have taken meaningful advantage of it. Most times it has been completely throw away or forced. Why should a much smaller surface in a less ergonomic position be better?

If the lead developer behind Journey and a handful of other sony exclusives says he is genuinely excited about kinect, I'm more inclined to have some faith.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By EXTomar

Microsoft's stock just took a 11% drop where the market is blaming the gigantic write-down due to the massive miscalculation on Surface RT and weak Surface Pro sales. I am not entirely sure the market is in the mood to hear about another gigantic write-down on another miscalculation on another product hasn't been released yet.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By ProfessorEss

@extomar said:

...due to the massive miscalculation on Surface RT.

If anything makes me concerned about the quality of the XBox One it's the shittiness that was the Surface RT.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

The X1 doesn't need a price cut, it needs a demonstration of how Kinect can be put to some really cool uses. That's the only thing missing from the X1 formula.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even if it was ten quid I would not want one. I'm that much of a tossweasel. And I'm also serious. If you buy one I hope you get itchy pipes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.