Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Rumour: Next xbox delayed due to manufacturing problems.

• 70 results
    Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By Alexander

@believer258 said:

Not buying another Xbox anyway. The 360 had a very strong first few years and now it's incredibly weak. The only reason people will stick with it is because that's what all their friends have.

And the competition has a better offering? I don't know if you noticed, but most games are multiplatform.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By RE_Player1

@Alexander: While I agree that the big games are multiplatform for consoles Sony does offer more exclusives both on the retail and digital front.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By metal_mills
    @WilliamHenry said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@Chavtheworld said:

Here's what this bullshit article should have said:

Yo guys! We were talking out of our arse when we said that the new consoles were coming out next year, which only a moron would believe, so now we need to make up another retarded excuse so that when they don't come out next year (which they never would have) we don't look like total dickwads. Also - yay more hits! Thanks for free money ya idjits!

Umm, actually pretty much everything points to a 2013 release of both PS3 and 360 predecessors.

The PS3 and 360 predecessors were the PS2 and Xbox 1. What you meant to say was successor.

My bad, yeah.
    Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#54  Edited By Fearbeard

There's still time for them to get this sorted out.

Giving Sony a holiday season all by themselves would be a bad start for Microsoft next generation. It certainly didn't work out well for Sony in this generation.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#55  Edited By Justin258

@Oldirtybearon said:

@believer258: I like my xbox for a variety of reasons, some of which are as follows:

I like Xbox Live. It's stable, it's reliable, and I've never had an issue purchasing content or getting into games. When it comes to online support nobody else is doing what Xbox Live does. Yes it costs more than it should and there are definitely services that shouldn't be put behind a paywall, but to say that Xbox Live in and of itself is not worth paying for is fool hardy. Especially when you consider how long PSN sucked ass before Sony realized you need a paying membership to help offset the cost of maintaining servers and terabytes of data streaming over the entire globe.

Third party games play better on the Xbox 360 than the PS3, or the Wii. I'm not including PC games in here because A) I don't like the interface and B) I have absolutely no goddamn interest in playing games on my computer. PCs are definitely more powerful and more capable, but that's not my scene. It probably won't ever be my scene. For me, the PC environment might as well not exist for as much consideration as I give it in purchasing decisions. Now, back to my point: there is an undeniable difference that between the two major platform holders that the PS3 just can't compete with the 360 in third party games. RAM limitations as well as the Cell processor generally under performing on third party software is probably the biggest reason for this. First party Sony games do look, visually, fantastic. The thing is, Sony doesn't make enough of them a year to warrant me investing in their console. All of the third party games already show up on the 360, and across the board play better. Why would I want a PS3?

This next point is probably not going to make people happy, but here it is: Microsoft is willing to spend in order to secure DLC and other exclusives. Look at Skyrim. I got to play Dawnguard the day of release despite everyone invested in other platforms bitching (and rightly so) about having to wait a month (or in the PS3's case, still waiting). If you actually spend money on add-ons like I do, it pays to be a part of the Xbox ecosystem rather than the Sony or PC environment. Xbox customers don't, generally, get short-shafted by developers when it comes to new content or bonuses because A) there's more of us and B) Microsoft is willing to crack open a checkbook to make sure their consumers get new shit first.

The biggest reason, though? The controller. The 360 controller is perfect. It's not too small like the PS3 controller, the sticks are situated beautifully to rest comfortably in your hands, and the 360 controller has a certain heft to it that makes it feel good. The PS3 Dual Shock has always felt like cheap plastic. Every time I pick one up with my bear paws (I have big hands), I feel like I'm going to break the thing. The sticks don't feel right, either. Aiming with the convex dual sticks on the PS3 just doesn't feel right. For instance in FPS games on the PS3 I can't hit a target to save my life. Contrast that with the Xbox controller where I can pull off reliable chains of headshots in first person shooters and there's definitely something to be said for concave sticks ergonomically placed on the gamepad.

Also the PS3 looks like a vacuum cleaner. No, really. Look at it. Tell me it doesn't look like the head of a vacuum cleaner.

Fair enough points that I could not have thought of, but it's hardly convincing enough for me. It's well worth mentioning that most PC games do support the controller, but you said you'll never go that route so whatever.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By RE_Player1

@Fearbeard: Sony is in no rush to get another console out. With the constant losses Sony has been having and the language SCE higher ups have been using have given no hint at a new console while MS somewhat hint at the future when you read between the lines. If Microsoft delays their console to 2014 than so will Sony. They won't release before but they'll rush their plans in order to meet Microsoft out the gate.

Eidderf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By Eidderf

@Chavtheworld: It seems all of next years big games are coming out early next year though, before E3.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#58  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@Demoskinos said:

Steve Balmer is going to knock a motherfucker out over this news.

This man, is a billionaire. Fuck humanity.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#59  Edited By Bollard

@Eidderf said:

@Chavtheworld: It seems all of next years big games are coming out early next year though, before E3.

The ones that fled this year, this is true.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By RE_Player1

@Chavtheworld said:

@Eidderf said:

The ones that fled this year, this is true.

It would be a bummer if all these companies delayed their games to early 2013 thinking that the holiday will be dominated by new consoles and than they end up getting delayed to 2014 :P

glyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By glyn

You know what Microsoft could od to lower the price of their console?

Allow people to install their own ssd's, or hard-drives.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By RE_Player1

@glyn: Too much of a cash cow for them. I wonder what the margins are for their hard drives. They have to be racking it in selling a 320GB laptop drive in a special case for $150+.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#63  Edited By csl316
    @believer258

Not buying another Xbox anyway. The 360 had a very strong first few years and now it's incredibly weak. The only reason people will stick with it is because that's what all their friends have.

Yeah, I've come to realize the same thing. I wouldn't mind Sony coming out first just so I have an excuse to make it my main console.
    tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#64  Edited By tourgen

Well 2013 was always probably a best case scenario for both teams

1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#65  Edited By 1337W422102

I'm not convinced that a manufacturing problem would stop them.  Considering the inexcusable design flaw(s) of the first 360 (insufficient ventilation/fans/air circulation/cooling, heat sink under the fucking optical drive, not using bolts to secure the heatsinks in place but shitty x-clamps that warp with heat -- let that sink in for a second, forcing users to pay a subscription fee to access features that have been industry standards since the early/mid '90s, etc.), I don't see why they'd care.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#68  Edited By DarthOrange

@Oldirtybearon said:

I like Xbox Live. It's stable, it's reliable, and I've never had an issue purchasing content or getting into games. When it comes to online support nobody else is doing what Xbox Live does. Yes it costs more than it should and there are definitely services that shouldn't be put behind a paywall, but to say that Xbox Live in and of itself is not worth paying for is fool hardy. Especially when you consider how long PSN sucked ass before Sony realized you need a paying membership to help offset the cost of maintaining servers and terabytes of data streaming over the entire globe.

But don't you feel like the online life of games on Live dies out a hell of a lot quicker then it does on PSN. I actually prefer PSN because it has that international audience that Live doesn't come close to matching, and there are tons of older games that still have their online backing while the Microsoft audience tends to play the flavor of the week then go back to the shooters. Also, you can easily find a game at any hour of the day with that global audience.

Third party games play better on the Xbox 360 than the PS3, or the Wii. I'm not including PC games in here because A) I don't like the interface and B) I have absolutely no goddamn interest in playing games on my computer. PCs are definitely more powerful and more capable, but that's not my scene. It probably won't ever be my scene. For me, the PC environment might as well not exist for as much consideration as I give it in purchasing decisions. Now, back to my point: there is an undeniable difference that between the two major platform holders that the PS3 just can't compete with the 360 in third party games. RAM limitations as well as the Cell processor generally under performing on third party software is probably the biggest reason for this. First party Sony games do look, visually, fantastic. The thing is, Sony doesn't make enough of them a year to warrant me investing in their console. All of the third party games already show up on the 360, and across the board play better. Why would I want a PS3?

They may be marginally better most of the time but to say they can't compete is a gross overstatement. Bayoneta and Skyrim are the only games that come to mind as actually being broken on PS3, everything else was serviceable and in some cases better, like LA Noir, Dead Space 2, or Mass Effect. Fuck changing discs, what is this, the 90's?

This next point is probably not going to make people happy, but here it is: Microsoft is willing to spend in order to secure DLC and other exclusives. Look at Skyrim. I got to play Dawnguard the day of release despite everyone invested in other platforms bitching (and rightly so) about having to wait a month (or in the PS3's case, still waiting). If you actually spend money on add-ons like I do, it pays to be a part of the Xbox ecosystem rather than the Sony or PC environment. Xbox customers don't, generally, get short-shafted by developers when it comes to new content or bonuses because A) there's more of us and B) Microsoft is willing to crack open a checkbook to make sure their consumers get new shit first.

That shit is gross, but Sony has lately been ponying up more cash to get exclusive DLC. As for the "there's more of us", are there really? PS3 is around 2 million units behind in global sales, but how many people bought an Xbox for Kinect and only use it for that (nobody bought a PS3 for Move, lets be honest here)? On top of that, how many people have multiple X-Box's either because one of them broke, or they upgraded when the slim came out, or they bought one of the many special edition Xbox's because it looks nice. And then there are the huge number of 360s that they give away all the time, whether in a contest at a department store or for free with the purchase of a laptop.

The biggest reason, though? The controller. The 360 controller is perfect. It's not too small like the PS3 controller, the sticks are situated beautifully to rest comfortably in your hands, and the 360 controller has a certain heft to it that makes it feel good. The PS3 Dual Shock has always felt like cheap plastic. Every time I pick one up with my bear paws (I have big hands), I feel like I'm going to break the thing. The sticks don't feel right, either. Aiming with the convex dual sticks on the PS3 just doesn't feel right. For instance in FPS games on the PS3 I can't hit a target to save my life. Contrast that with the Xbox controller where I can pull off reliable chains of headshots in first person shooters and there's definitely something to be said for concave sticks ergonomically placed on the gamepad.

That is just crazy talk. The Dualshock is the definition of a perfect controller, although I will admit that FPS games play better with the 360 controller. (Just got through the first Bioshock on 360 and that controller felt like it was made for that game.)

Also the PS3 looks like a vacuum cleaner. No, really. Look at it. Tell me it doesn't look like the head of a vacuum cleaner.

It looks nothing like the head of a vacuum cleaner. If anything the 360 is more like a vacuum in that it sounds like one. There is no reason for it to be so damn loud.

Add in a blu-ray player, the netflix for games that is playstation plus, the huge library of exclusives, and the connectivity with the Vita and you have the reasons why I prefer the Sony platform.

Microsoft probably shouldn't rush with their next X-Box though, as a sack of potatoes would be a better marketing team then the one Sony has now. As long as Microsoft is willing to put up the dough to market their console, it will always do better in the USA, which is a big enough market to allow a console to survive and thrive.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

There's no such thing as 'not having enough consoles' for launch in a post Wii world. Especially if Microsoft beats Sony to the punch again. If the Orbis isn't ready for 2013, Microsoft can release their console and 'not having enough' won't do anything. Low supply, high demand, and no competition is the exact situation where you make incredibly fucked profit margins.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#71  Edited By Vinny_Says

It's not a delay if there is no release announcement yet.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#72  Edited By mariokart64fan

how can something not promised for a actual date be delayed lol , i called it 2014 , ,you know that would be smart,

sit around wait til 2014-2015 let the wii u run up the score and watch as fanboys continue the war

rumor wii 3 coming 2017

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#73  Edited By KaneRobot

Could just bring it out anyway. It's not like there weren't incredibly annoying shortages of the 360 when it first came out.

However (not that they are listening to me), if I were MS I wouldn't be rushing anything after what happened last time. If MS has the same defect problem they did last time, they are fucking dead in the water. Even with gamers having incredibly short memories, another "guaranteed to die" console launch will be the guaranteed premature death for that console.

Highly doubt any US manufacturer would bring out a home console in the non-holiday season though. If MS really can't make the Fall 2013 release, I bet we won't see it until Fall 2014. That would actually be fine with me. Take the time and do it right...if it's a good console with quality features and games, it won't be hard to play catch-up with whoever is leading at that time.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Mcfart

@KaneRobot said:

Could just bring it out anyway. It's not like there weren't incredibly annoying shortages of the 360 when it first came out.

However (not that they are listening to me), if I were MS I wouldn't be rushing anything after what happened last time. If MS has the same defect problem they did last time, they are fucking dead in the water. Even with gamers having incredibly short memories, another "guaranteed to die" console launch will be the guaranteed premature death for that console.

Highly doubt any US manufacturer would bring out a home console in the non-holiday season though. If MS really can't make the Fall 2013 release, I bet we won't see it until Fall 2014. That would actually be fine with me. Take the time and do it right...if it's a good console with quality features and games, it won't be hard to play catch-up with whoever is leading at that time.

Nobody would really care if the 720 has problems, since MS would reinburse the dumbasses who buy it day 1, and the people who remember the 360 launch will be laughing as they buy it for $199 2 years later.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.