Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Sold a lie with the Xbox One tbh...

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

scaramoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

- No support for TV guide stuff here in the UK

- No media apps but 4oD... how is this a media hub if it has nothing? Can say you have to wait all you want, but why? Stuff like BBCiPlayer or a functional Youtube should have been there from the start.

- No external storage support... which really makes it useless as a media hub

- You cannot use Kinect to search things with your voice, like say how I do with my Android where I use the Google search and I can browse anything on the web just using my voice. I can say w w w dot with my voice and read out a website that way or I can search in the search bar....... nothing like that on Xbox One, you have to type it all out so browsing the web is useless on it.

- Xbox Fitness is shit, I saw all the ads about doing my fave workout (Insanity) but there is only one workout...... how am I meant to do the Insanity workout with it with just one? It's completely useless, I've just gone back to the DVD....

- Playing with friends online is a frigging mess, what was wrong with the 360 way of doing it?

- Skype is shit, why doesn't it use the night vision mode with Kinect? No one can ever see me unless the lighting is perfect and how do I call someone via just saying their voice? I cannot...

The console is a mess, I don't understand how it can be a step back from the 360, they had the base there, why didn't they improve on it? I cannot use it as a media hub like I intended because there is no external storage support, there are no apps and you cannot just use Kinect only to navigate.... I cannot get the whole family to use Kinect and a remote control.

Also why does it take so long to turn on? It's like 10 seconds before you get in..... my TV turns on instantly, so how is waiting 10 seconds on top of that an improvement?

I'm selling it, the console is crap, it should have worked out of the box, who knows how long we have to wait for it to actually get content. The one thing I was really excited for (Xbox Fitness) is a scam, they advertised it as doing full workouts on it and no, they only have 1 - 4 workouts per, Insanity only has 1...... like wtf?

The other thing I got it for was Forza 5, comparing it to Forza 4, it barely looks any different and it has way less content and it just feels like a car grind and going around the same handful of tracks that get repetitive. Where is the career? There is none, it's basically just single races of 2-4 laps and that is it...

People save your money, if you really have to buy a PS4 instead, I wish I went that route, at least I probably would have been pleasantly surprised as I didn't expect Sony to deliver anything...... they even have iPlayer!

In fact why do I have to pay for Xbox Gold to do anything? Services that aren't even theirs like 4oD (which is free on every other system) I have to pay the rights to be able to watch it on the Xbox One.

Eurgh the worst console I've ever bought, seriously I haven't been more disappointed, I've just ended up plugging the 360 back in.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Can't tell if this is an elaborate troll or what.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

10 seconds! OMG! What fresh hell is this.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"The one thing I was really excited for (Xbox Fitness)"

I love when I get to read a group of words being used together for the first time.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

america =/= the world

99% of what's advertised for Xbox One is US-only. Like no voice recognition/commands in Europe AT ALL.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Read like he bought into the hype and was faced with the reality of all console launch (tho I do think both of these console launch kind of broken).

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

america =/= the world

99% of what's advertised for Xbox One is US-only. Like no voice recognition/commands in Europe AT ALL.

Thats the least problematic thing about that whole writeup.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

@humanity said:

america =/= the world

Maybe if y'all'd just stop talkin' so funny, things'd be slick as a possum's tail.

'Merica!

Anyway, yeah, seems like some things could have been implemented better in Xbox One, but expecting an American company to prioritize BBC is pretty funny.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

You bought Microsoft Hardware, worse yet you bought Microsoft Hardware at launch.

What did you expect?

scaramoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By scaramoosh

A Japanese company did... Sony have SCEE I'm sure Xbox have a Europe division too seeing as Europe is like the 1st or 2nd largest gaming market in the world. Also isn't the BBC watched worldwide? Top Gear has like 500 million views, isn't that alone worth making sure BBC iPlayer is there? When they were talking about this TV guide stuff, didn't they take into consideration that here in Europe we have TV's too? Why even advertise that shit to us?

See I own the console..

http://s27.postimg.org/ihpx9hixf/IMAG0026_1.jpg (took it with my webcam on my PC, I just cropped the rest of the room out)

Also is this Brad? http://s27.postimg.org/lpuemj577/IMAG0016_BURST001_1.jpg

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This is why you don't let yourself get swept up by the hype, you gain very, very little by getting these things on launch day.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Works pretty well for me. I guess maybe you were asking a bit too much from a brand new piece of consumer electronics.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Humanity

A Japanese company did... Sony have SCEE I'm sure Xbox have a Europe division too seeing as Europe is like the 1st or 2nd largest gaming market in the world. Also isn't the BBC watched worldwide? Top Gear has like 500 million views, isn't that alone worth making sure BBC iPlayer is there? When they were talking about this TV guide stuff, didn't they take into consideration that here in Europe we have TV's too? Why even advertise that shit to us?

See I own the console..

http://s27.postimg.org/ihpx9hixf/IMAG0026_1.jpg (took it with my webcam on my PC, I just cropped the rest of the room out)

BBC can't have an app on XBOX Live because of some UK law that states it must be a free public channel for the people, and you need Gold to watch it on XBL which clashes with the concept of it being a free public channel since you need to pay for Gold.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By CaLe

Luckily I give no shits about any of the stuff you mentioned, though I can see it sucking for someone who wanted said stuff. My biggest complaint is it just feels barren, but that's to be expected for a launch platform... I guess? I actually want it to update or something, just to experience something new.

Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@humanity said:

america =/= the world

Wait, really? None of the "xbox snap party" stuff or anything? Or just non-English speaking countries?

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Akyho

I was following untill the point of "My tv switches on instantly, why do I have to wait 10 seconds!" then it became unreasonable.

spookytapes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By spookytapes

I actually feel pretty similarly to the OP except I didn't have such high hopes for most of this stuff, and much of it is pretty crap as suspected. Went in for Forza 5 alone pretty much. It's still a good game but as I've posted about elsewhere here I have some issues with it. I think the Kinect isn't very good, I think it's idea of being a media center is laughable at it's current state, I think the UI is a clunky nightmare to navigate and honestly I really do think the 360 did a LOT of this stuff a lot better. Even at launch. I know some people are very loyal to Microsoft but this time out, I can't fathom why.

FYI I'm a 9 year XBL member and toward the start of the last generation I thought the 360 was untouchable. They kept slipping up at every turn though over the last 3-4 years though and as of now I'm not terribly impressed with the Xbox One. I'm really hoping they fix a lot of this stuff with patches or something. I'm going to get most multiplat stuff on PS4 this go around and relegate the Xbox to being a $500 Forza machine.

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

So did you do like zero research before buying this thing? I wonder if this is how you make all your purchasing decisions. I mean you're obviously in the know enough to use the internet, why not do the logical thing and look into the products you purchase.

Do you really just go to your nearest electronics store and just buy whatever television the salesman tells you to?

ValeYard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ValeYard

At the moment, I'm feeling the OP. The language support for non-English speaking countries means you can't play games in English unless you change your country to one you don't actually live in such as UK or US. TV support is terrible to non-existent in Germany too.

However, the games have been a lot of fun. Killer Instinct is fun and I love the d-pad for it. Forza is great, and Dead Rising was so far very entertaining.

I'll give it time, hopefully they'll get their act together. If not, maybe we just bought MS' last console.

earlygrab666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By earlygrab666

Sorry OP, nobody to blame but yourself.

You gave them your money, they did not take it from you.

You made an uneducated purchase based entirely on your expectations as a fanboy and it clearly broke your heart. I'm sorry.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, but what about Ryse?

KirillOrlov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
    deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@humanity said:

@scaramoosh said:

See I own the console..

BBC can't have an app on XBOX Live because of some UK law that states it must be a free public channel for the people, and you need Gold to watch it on XBL which clashes with the concept of it being a free public channel since you need to pay for Gold.#

On the 360 they made a deal with BBC to make iPlayer free for all, i'd expect something similar to happen for the One soon.
    @jothel said:

@trafalgarlaw said:

@humanity said:

america =/= the world

Wait, really? None of the "xbox snap party" stuff or anything? Or just non-English speaking countries?

The voice commands are there, don't know why people are claiming otherwise but, as OP said, there are no support for TV guides currently which is pretty idiotic considering the amount of time Microsoft have been talking about the TV-integration.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can see how this is all pretty upsetting. That's why I didn't buy ANY of the new consoles yet and built a PC a few months earlier since I know for sure what I'm getting with that. Still gonna wait until next year.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Bummer dude... Definitely sounds like it's not what you want right now. You could always sell it and check back in a year or two, maybe it'll have the features you need

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
    deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

new consoles never deliver exactly what they tell you or what you hyped yourself up for. day-oner's and early adopters are nothing but:

No Caption Provided

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billymagnum: adorable rodents with sharp teeth and dead eyes?

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Carryboy

Sorry to hear that dude, got to be honest after buying mine and not being that excited about it I have been pleasantly surprised.

tooPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tooPrime

I don't trust anyone who has time to have a 100 posts, but doesn't have enough time to change their user picture from the default.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By spraynardtatum

@spraynardtatum: oh, allow me to spell that out....GUINEA PIGS.

Look at this world record breaking jump!

Loading Video...

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Definitely sounds like its got less functionality outside of the USA, but I think most people had some idea that was gonna happen going into the launch. It'll sort itself out over time.

Also you know, launch of new consoles, you pay more money for less things. Just like with early adopters of every other thing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

Microsoft sold me a Dead Rising 3 machine. I don't feel like I'm getting ripped off. Though being in the UK it sucks. Luckily I never intended to use any media features at all.

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its what happens when you get stuff at launch, it sucks but you should've known better.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You made an uneducated purchase based entirely on your expectations as a fanboy and it clearly broke your heart. I'm sorry.

I bet you got a PS4.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Well you know this all goes with a growing machine. Not like all features rolled out to the 360 or PS3 were usable in every part of the world. It is launch. Also, you can use Bing to voice search. FYI.

EthanML

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thread titles that end in 'tbh...' are my favourite, normally I have to go to Facebook to get my fix.

peritus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trafalgarlaw said:

@humanity said:

america =/= the world

Maybe if y'all'd just stop talkin' so funny, things'd be slick as a possum's tail.

'Merica!

Anyway, yeah, seems like some things could have been implemented better in Xbox One, but expecting an American company to prioritize BBC Europe is pretty funny.

They have the most to gain from succeeding in Europe though. It being Sony heavy and all. Also, Sony being a Japanese company is prioritizing the west instead of Japan, thats just smart business. Microsoft should have done the same. So its not that funny ;-)

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
    insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

new consoles never deliver exactly what they tell you or what you hyped yourself up for. day-oner's and early adopters are nothing but:

No Caption Provided

That's so adorable! =D

Sorry, I uh... sorry. When I see cute things I lose it.

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By KaneRobot

You think you have it hard? My friend bought an Xbone thinking his XBLA games from 360 would carry over. Obviously not a "hardcore" hammer by any means. I would have wisened him up but I didn't even know he was planning on buying one. His kids kept pestering him to open it (he was saving it for a few weeks), and he gave in earlier today. shortly thereafter, I got a text saying "where the fuck are my games??" Add to that the 5 year old bugging him to buy the 50 dollar Angry Birds Start Wars (he did not, thankfully... gotta teach those kids early), and the end result was me saying "well, part of Killer Instinct is free, you can play that right now."

Count your blessings.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a ps4 day one and now it sits in the room next to me waiting for games. That doesnt mean i regret it though, as long as you understand what getting a launch console means there is no reason not to get one. The hate for the day1ers is ridiculous

admordem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Picked up my day one (a little late) yesterday after cancelling my ps4, which I will grab around March or so.

Here in Aus, we got a free game with the preorder - unfortunately it is FIFA, but still not a bad freebie.
    Happy that I can play some Killer Instinct for free, seems good enough to at least get the $25 pack.
    Dead Rising 3 is amazing. All the fears I read about this before launch were for nothing. It's everything I hoped.
    NBA 2k14 if your into that sort of thing, is freaking awesome. Best mycareer mode yet. Graphics are incredible.
    I will probably just grab lococycle at this point before christmas.

Voice commands are surprisingly good, I find I'm using them naturally already. Some of the game interaction with voice has been fun, like luring zombies off a cliff.
    Needs more content, but what doesn't at release.
    Pretty happy all up.

earlygrab666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By earlygrab666

@missacre said:

@earlygrab666 said:

I bet you got a PS4.

nope still enjoying my 360, however I'm smart enough to know when I'm being rounded up for the slaughter.

Loading Video...

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Hunkulese

@scaramoosh: What exactly was a lie? Pretty much everything you listed was known before the launch.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

@peritus said:

@jjweatherman said:

@trafalgarlaw said:

@humanity said:

america =/= the world

'Merica!

Anyway, yeah, seems like some things could have been implemented better in Xbox One, but expecting an American company to prioritize BBC Europe is pretty funny.

They have the most to gain from succeeding in Europe though. It being Sony heavy and all. Also, Sony being a Japanese company is prioritizing the west instead of Japan, thats just smart business. Microsoft should have done the same. So its not that funny ;-)

I dunno, I still think it's kinda funny. I was referring to prioritizing the BBC video app specifically, just to be clear.

People should stop using winky emoticons; they're creepy.

scaramoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehbk:

Yeah to search on the console, not to search on the internet like I bring up google and I have to type it out. If I go to the address bar I have to type it out....

Your only option is Bing and it keeps thinking everything is facebook......

Once I'm on a page and I want to login, I have to type it out....

The voice stuff should be built into EVERYTHING!

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

america =/= the world

Voice command works fine with my in spanish.

scaramoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to add as well that the console scratches very easily on the glossy stuff. It attracts dust like mad, I went to wipe the dust off with a tissue and notices lots of light surface scratches....... like crazy how cheap the plastic is that it scratches from dust......

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's kind of funny how the shit that's supposed to work out of the box with no hassle, consoles, have turned into another case of "When it's done, but don't mind giving us your money for this half-finished thing!".

Regardless of what anybody says: I never seen a console launch that felt so rushed, on both consoles. So many features missing that previously got advertised as their "killer apps", beta stuff all over the place, crashes, obvious UI issues, these consoles are basically still in heavily development. Which begs the question: Why rush them out that soon anyway?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.