(Speculation) Seems like Microsoft is starting to get ready.

#1 Edited by mrfluke (5279 posts) -

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/319694999749001218

i feel like you dont talk to keighley unless your ready to secure some sort of exclusive spot with him. and considering the durango event is supposed to be this month, and keighley is at the top of the chain with gameinformer in terms of securing exclusives... would make sense that microsoft is getting ready for a unveiling of their console, especially with all the bad press going around with the rumors of durango. as there is only so long u let those rumors stand and build negative hype.

also of interest are these 2 tweets, microsoft is actually noticing what that guy said, and we're gonna get some possible new games from microsoft.

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/320008254841311232

https://twitter.com/aarongreenberg/status/320002678858059777

#2 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Always online is a deal breaker for me. It doesn't matter how many Halos or Gears of War they throw at it.

#3 Posted by TooWalrus (13241 posts) -
#4 Edited by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

I already went through this generation paying the price for poor console purchasing decisions. I'm not going to get fucked this time, I know exactly who I'm backing.

I'm just gonna build a fucking PC.

#6 Posted by BeachThunder (12118 posts) -

Can't wait for the press conference, these things are always fun to watch.

#7 Posted by Sgtpierceface (633 posts) -

Can you imagine if Giant Bomb got the exclusive for a new console announcement? That would be fucking weird.

#8 Edited by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

@deathswind: It's getting kind of silly when they have to say "other next generation consoles." They would say if it was Wii U, and obviously Sega isn't getting back into hardware.

#9 Posted by JasonR86 (9748 posts) -

The fact of the matter is we don't know anything about their next console. All we have is rumor. So I'll hold out hope I supposed. But Sony set a pretty high bar (that I hope they can meet themselves). Microsoft is going to have to show a lot. And over the last few years I've been way more impressed with my PS3 and its services compared to my Xbox.

#10 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4424 posts) -

Always online is a deal breaker for me. It doesn't matter how many Halos or Gears of War they throw at it.

More like just Halo unless MS buys the Gears franchise from Epic.

#11 Edited by EXTomar (4864 posts) -

It sounds like a lot of mid and small/indie companies are left out of the loop and have no idea what Microsoft is up too. That doesn't exactly inspire me with a lot of confidence that we are going to see anything more than the "bro-shooter box".

#12 Posted by jimmyfenix (3859 posts) -

halo 5 , gears of war pendulum wars , alan wake reboot , battlefield 4 exclusive content

#13 Posted by Bollard (5694 posts) -

I already went through this generation paying the price for poor console purchasing decisions. I'm not going to get fucked this time, I know exactly who I'm backing.

Preach

#14 Edited by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

They should just announce the damn thing already. I'm getting sick of all this secrecy bullshit.

#15 Edited by Nictel (2429 posts) -

@yanngc33 said:

They should just announce the damn thing already. I'm getting sick of all this secrecy bullshit.

We can not confirm or deny this statement. Note however that a possible new Halo game (though we can not confirm or deny at this moment that a halo game is in production) may or may not come to 'next-gen' systems (that may or may not be in production).

#16 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

You know what'd be fucked up? If they never mentioned the always on thing during the conference (to confirm or deny), then the new Xbox gets released and guess what? Always on motherfucker. But Microsoft isn't that crazy right? RIGHT?

#17 Edited by Mocca_Bear (62 posts) -

@thedudeofgaming Crazy and illegal to boot :P

@jimmyfenix You really want an Alan Wake reboot? I'm super psyched to find out what they'll do with the end of the first game, American Nightmare non withstanding.

#18 Posted by Andorski (5346 posts) -

You know what'd be fucked up? If they never mentioned the always on thing during the conference (to confirm or deny), then the new Xbox gets released and guess what? Always on motherfucker. But Microsoft isn't that crazy right? RIGHT?

No way would they be able to keep it a secret. If it's an essential component of the console, then developers will know about it. If developers know about it, at least one will spill the beans on it.

#19 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

@nictel said:

@yanngc33 said:

We can not confirm or deny this statement. Note however that a possible new Halo game (though we can not confirm or deny at this moment that a halo game is in production) may or may not come to 'next-gen' systems (that may or may not be in production).

I suspect 343 wont be far enough along in production of halo 5 to have anything to show.

#20 Posted by skrutop (3615 posts) -

Agreed. I won't buy a console that has an always online requirement or one that doesn't allow me to play used games. I almost never buy games new.

#21 Edited by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

My online access is more reliable than electricity, but long term support would be key if they go for the always online route. So far they are not really inspiring confidence considering how they screwed windows phone 7 and Xbox 1. It almost seems like 360 support needs to play out before you can trust MS going forward.

#22 Posted by Stormhead (40 posts) -

I was disappointed to hear that the xbox720 announcement this month in April was to be pushed back to 21st May instead. I think Microsoft really need to get a move on with this, because rumour is starting to be taken as fact, whether it turns out to be fact or not.

If Microsoft aren't controlling the flow of information about the xbox720 then it means other people (those leaking & providing rumours) are controlling the information instead. They seriously need to take control & get a grip. I'm a teacher of 8 years and back when I was a trainee teacher a nearly-retired teacher told me on day one that "you need to always be in control, because either you are, or they are". Same thing with this.

#23 Posted by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

I was disappointed to hear that the xbox720 announcement this month in April was to be pushed back to 21st May instead. I think Microsoft really need to get a move on with this, because rumour is starting to be taken as fact, whether it turns out to be fact or not.

If Microsoft aren't controlling the flow of information about the xbox720 then it means other people (those leaking & providing rumours) are controlling the information instead. They seriously need to take control & get a grip. I'm a teacher of 8 years and back when I was a trainee teacher a nearly-retired teacher told me on day one that "you need to always be in control, because either you are, or they are". Same thing with this.

It's never hurt Apple to keep quiet until they want to release their information, it won't hurt Microsoft either.

#24 Edited by Nivash (241 posts) -

@jdh5153: Yeah, but Apple isn't usually stalked by rumors about what a disaster their next product will be. Right now almost all the rumors about the Nextbox are negative: always online, can't play used games, weaker than the PS4, mandatory Kinect, infested with ads... you name it.

I don't believe most of those rumors because I don't think Microsoft are idiots. But unless they have something truly amazing to present in May - especially compared to the PS4 - restoring the brand will be almost impossible. If it turns out to be very similar to the PS4, they could completely lose momentum compared to how they would have fared if they used rushed a presentation back in March.

#25 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@nivash said:

@jdh5153: Yeah, but Apple isn't usually stalked by rumors about what a disaster their next product will be. Right now almost all the rumors about the Nextbox are negative: always online, can't play used games, weaker than the PS4, mandatory Kinect, infested with ads... you name it.

I don't believe most of those rumors because I don't think Microsoft are idiots. But unless they have something truly amazing to present in May - especially compared to the PS4 - restoring the brand will be almost impossible.

None of those are negatives. The brand will not be damaged, the only people complaining about that crap are people who mostly care about video games, the next Xbox will be more like the Wii was, marketed to more than just the average gamer, more of a well rounded entertainment machine. A Roku that will play games. Roku's are always online, their brand has not been damaged because of that.

#26 Edited by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@nivash said:

I don't believe most of those rumors because I don't think Microsoft are idiots. But unless they have something truly amazing to present in May - especially compared to the PS4 - restoring the brand will be almost impossible.

None of those are negatives. The brand will not be damaged, the only people complaining about that crap are people who mostly care about video games, the next Xbox will be more like the Wii was, marketed to more than just the average gamer, more of a well rounded entertainment machine. A Roku that will play games. Roku's are always online, their brand has not been damaged because of that.

Have you been under a rock, or did you miss the numerous worries from people regarding these supposed features? If the console requires always online connectivity, Microsoft is shooting themselves in the foot.

#27 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@jdh5153 said:

@nivash said:

Have you been under a rock, or did you miss the numerous worries from people regarding these supposed features? If the console requires always online connectivity, Microsoft is shooting themselves in the foot.

Just like Steam shot itself in the foot? Hey guess what a cell phone requires a cellular connection to work, oh shit people rioted in the streets when they found that out.

#28 Edited by pyrodactyl (2209 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@nivash said:

And the thing I'm most worried about is that they might win with such tactics. Between their agressive push for a living room box and their pre-backed xbox live audience they might not need indy games or exclusive games aside from halo and cod. From xbox 360 I'll probably move on to PS4 if microsoft's pitch is ''yo guys, we got this new box that has kinect in it but it will work this time I swear. It's a cable box too and you can watch hella tv with it. Games? Yeah we got halo and call of duty, great huh?'' but who else will do the same?

#29 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@hailinel said:

@jdh5153 said:

@nivash said:

Just like Steam shot itself in the foot? Hey guess what a cell phone requires a cellular connection to work, oh shit people rioted in the streets when they found that out.

Adam Orth, is that you?

#30 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

like Halos and Gears are any good anyway.

they used to be cool, back in 2006.

#31 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

@jdh5153 said:

@nivash said:

And the thing I'm most worried about is that they might win with such tactics. Between their agressive push for a living room box and their pre-backed xbox live audience they might not need indy games or exclusive games aside from halo and cod. From xbox 360 I'll probably move on to PS4 if microsoft's pitch is ''yo guys, we got this new box that has kinect in it but it will work this time I swear. It's a cable box too and you can watch hella tv with it. Games? Yeah we got halo and call of duty, great huh?'' but who else will do the same?

The Kinect isn't that bad. The third party games suck for it, but some of the first party ones are pretty good. Most of the people on my friends list are on Netflix or Hulu most of the time as it is, that's really the future audience for a game console / entertainment machine. It's not all about games anymore.

#32 Edited by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

@donpixel IMO Halo was never any good. Compared to PC FPSs at the time it was mediocre and dumbed down.

#33 Edited by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

@ahaisthisourchance said:

@donpixel IMO Halo was never any good. Compared to PC FPSs at the time it was mediocre and dumbed down.

Battlefield 2 is years ahead any mp-shooter its been release on the 360 to date.

#34 Posted by pyrodactyl (2209 posts) -

@ahaisthisourchance: @donpixel: oh don't be those guys. Halo is of a different breed of slower paced FPS and that's what makes it well suited for console. Might not fit your tastes but it doesn't make it bad.

@jdh5153: yes, the current kinect is quite bad and has proven countless time it can't register anything precise which makes it a terrible input device for everything aside from kid's games and dancing games.

Maybe the kinect 2 will be much better but without any force feedback on your movements it will remain shity for games I, and most people on this site, like to play.

Most of the people on my friends list are on Netflix or Hulu most of the time as it is, that's really the future audience for a game console / entertainment machine. It's not all about games anymore.

And that's what freaks the shit out of me. If this is your main audience for games what games will you make? Mobile time wasters and multiplayer focused first person shooters. I want diversity in the games I like to play (AAA games are still more enjoyable for me) and that kind of audience doesn't care about that.

#35 Posted by Slag (4643 posts) -

hunh being pushed back to May 21st? That's odd. Wonder why.

I wonder if the Adam Orth thing may be causing them to make some last minute changes scrapping/altering always online. If so the guy did us a solid by mouthing off like that.

#36 Posted by jakob187 (21692 posts) -

All I know is this: Aaron Greenberg has some of the best customer service capabilities ever.

#37 Edited by Reisz (1518 posts) -

Looking forward to it.

#38 Edited by EarlessShrimp (1664 posts) -

you should build one to fit inside a Wii U case. Blow everyone's minds.

#39 Edited by BigJeffrey (5096 posts) -

This is pretty old news

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.