The Family Share feature was basically a lie all along.

• 107 results
#1 Edited by hidys (1029 posts) -

http://www.heyuguysgaming.com/news/12507/heartbroken-xbox-one-employee-lets-rip-must-read

So this is a blog post from someone who claims to be an engineer on the Xbox One who is quite upset about the reversal by MS over the DRM. But the interesting part is him talking about the family share stuff where basically says that it was a demo feature with a time limit.

An insider on GAF posted this truthfact in relation to the family share matter

60sigh- -

Which further adds to the evidence of this.

So how do you guys feel about this?

#2 Edited by Rafaelfc (1324 posts) -

Predictable, I have no clue why people thought that Microsoft with the then extremely restrictive DRM measures would let 10 people play on 1 purchase effectively undercutting their sales on a 10:1 ratio.

#3 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4184 posts) -

Interested.

#4 Edited by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1700 posts) -

Figures, MS can't take two steps forward without taking one back.

#5 Posted by TheHT (11090 posts) -

I'll need more than a supposed dev blog and "60sigh- -" to believe this. That's some crazy fuckin shit.

#6 Edited by President_Barackbar (3448 posts) -

@theht said:

I'll need more than a supposed dev blog and "60sigh- -" to believe this. That's some crazy fuckin shit.

That comes from industry insider Cboat from Neogaf who is incredibly accurate when it comes to inside info. Cboat confirmed that the family share was an up to 60 min "demo" of the game that would prompt you after the time limit to buy the game to keep playing.

#7 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

@theht said:

In terms of that dev blog it would be pretty crazy of he was lying. Did you actually read it? The main purpose was to lament the reversal of the DRM policies not so much to reveal this. The blog itself in fact strongly praises the Xbox One over the PS4. In terms of the other comment that came from CBOAT a poster who would have been banned from NeoGAF by now if he was a bullshiter. The reason he types like that is to avoid being quoted by people like Kotaku and it also makes it unlikely people will find out who he is.

#8 Posted by MHumphreys89 (712 posts) -

I think if Microsoft had kept the DRM and had revealed that the plan was just a demo-mode they would have had another backlash on their hands, however, paste-bin so i'm taking this information with a huge grain of salt.

#9 Edited by selfconfessedcynic (2497 posts) -

I'm happy MS went back on all this stuff - but if they hadn't, the reactions by people defending all the BS whilst holding up Family Share as a brilliant beacon of our glorious digital future would have been absolutely hilarious.

Whether CBoaT was on the money with this or not, I am on paper saying "If you think that MS is going to just let you share your games with 10 people without restrictions, you are a crazy person". It sounded way too "good" to be true from the beginning, so I would not be surprised if the 60 min limit was 100% fact.

Ah well, at least now the talk can be about what it should be - the hardware and the games.

#10 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1817 posts) -

@hidys said:

@theht said:

In terms of that dev blog it would be pretty crazy of he was lying. Did you actually read it? The main purpose was to lament the reversal of the DRM policies not so much to reveal this. The blog itself in fact strongly praises the Xbox One over the PS4. In terms of the other comment that came from CBOAT a poster who would have been banned from NeoGAF by now if he was a bullshiter. The reason he types like that is to avoid being quoted by people like Kotaku and it also makes it unlikely people will find out who he is.

Didnt we already have a thread about a person on Neogaf with E3 predictions and "if he was lying he would've been banned by now" and he literally got everything wrong?

#11 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4184 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid: Yup! I remember who. He'll come around to the thread sooner or later.

#12 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

So Family Sharing was actually Playstation's "unlimited demos?" That would have gone over really well, I'm sure, given that they had totally misrepresented it so far.

#13 Posted by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -

No one ever really promised anything with this sharing thing. Their poor communication warranted people's fairy tale scenario.

#14 Edited by mrfluke (5127 posts) -

this

and this

@bigjeffrey said:

No one ever really promised anything with this sharing thing. Their poor communication warranted people's fairy tale scenario.

IM OUT,

http://i.imgur.com/9gdyd.gif

#15 Posted by Chibithor (574 posts) -

If this is true I'm guessing this was their bad Gamescom news. Seems legit, it's a way of having "family sharing" without it being completely insane and fits right in line with how well Microsoft has communicated things earlier.

#16 Edited by hidys (1029 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid: He was only wrong about Prince of Persia. Knowing how quickly this stuff gets decided it really isn't shocking that he was wrong about one game announcement (remember Jeff said that the PS4 price was decided at the very last minute.)

#17 Edited by golguin (3868 posts) -

So the "family share" utopia that people swore would be totally amazing was actually a lie. Are people upset that they will no longer be able to share a demo with people across the country?

#18 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

@bigjeffrey: The language they were using seemed to imply full access to shared games (particularly Major Nelson's in that Angry Joe interview). Regardless, this wouldn't be poor communication so much as it would be very careful omission of facts surrounding family sharing.

This actually sounds way more shitty than I would have imagined, assuming they were, in fact, misleading the public. It would certainly explain why they flipped the script on this issue though; had they announced that family sharing was basically a glorified demo feature, people would have been furious.

#19 Posted by Daneian (1226 posts) -

I read his whole post. Saw him call the PS4 a 360 2 and am wondering what exactly the XBoxOne has that makes it so much better. They TV? The less powerful hardware? The Kinect 2.0?

#20 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4184 posts) -

Well. This got me interested:

Another feature that we didn't speak out about was the fact we were building a natural social network with Xbox One in itself that didn't require gamers to open their laptops/tablets to post to their other friends nor did they need to wrestle with keyboard add-ons. Each Xbox Live account would have a full "home space" in which they could post their highest scores, show off their best Game DVR moments, what they've watched via Xbox TV and leave messages for others to read and respond to. Kinect 2.0 and Xbox One work together and has robust voice to text capabilities. The entire notion of communicating with friends you met online would have been natural and seamless. No reliance on Facebook, or Twitter (though those are optional for those who want them). Everything is perfectly crafted for the Xbox One controller and Kinect 2.0 and given that shine that only Microsoft can provide.

It sounds fantastic. 'Kinda like that MiiVerse. My room is as big and bad ass as I want it to be.

Wait-wait... That's not being built anymore???. Fffff.... Well fuck, I hope that's not the case.

That last part from the actual pastebin.. Yeeesh.... I don't understand shit about engineering-wise.. Why he puts that... How would I know??. Fuck it, whatever. Fantastic read though.

#21 Edited by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -

IF GIES SAYS IT. IT'S FUCKING WRITTEN IN STONE.

#22 Edited by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

TRUTHFACT~!

When you think about it, until the moment you're actually doing it on the console itself, everything is either a coincidence or a lie of some kind. It's not like they have to release R&D information to the public, just goodwill gestures.

Also the government can read your mind.

#23 Posted by hidys (1029 posts) -

@bigjeffrey: I remember he also said SimCity was powered by the cloud... yeah.

#24 Edited by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -

@hidys said:

@bigjeffrey: I remember he also said SimCity was powered by the cloud... yeah.

ITS WRITTEN IN STONE, dont question it.

#25 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3844 posts) -

I'm not gonna get upset about a rumor from a source about a feature that isn't a feature anymore. I do not have the capacity for that.

#26 Edited by Sin4profit (2919 posts) -

Lets all beat the shit outta this dead horse! yeah!

TRUTHFACT~!

When you think about it, until the moment you're actually doing it on the console itself, everything is either a coincidence or a lie of some kind. It's not like they have to release R&D information to the public, just goodwill gestures.

Also the government can read your mind.

quoted for truthfact.

#27 Edited by mrfluke (5127 posts) -

this bit from that gaf thread that cboat posted on though,i think they present a good argument that the time limit was in.and actually a thing.

ultimately though even if it was true that it was the next gen timed demo., microsoft would NEVER admit it to users now.

a gaf user's argument below.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=598291

Moving this post here since this seems to be the new thread. What's funny is that they DID hint at this. In an obfuscated way. We

just never noticed. Remember when the DRM was first revealed? The easiest complaint was "What if I wanted to take it to my

friend's house?"

Remember the response?

http://gamerant.com/xbox-one-interne...n-requirement/

http://metro.co.uk/2013/06/07/no-fee...uired-3832010/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06/...-always-online

We just glossed over that because we figured, during the PEAK of the "24 hour check" freakout, that 1 hour offline for visiting a friend was just more shit on the cake.

Nope.That was the max amount of time a friend could play a copy.

Period

It was in front of our face the whole time.

#28 Edited by hidys (1029 posts) -

@mrfluke: Very true we really should have known. That and the idea that you could share a game with up to 10 people is really quite ridiculous. Wasn't that the whole point of getting rid of used games in the first place? With this feature as was initially implied one game could be completed by more people than a used game likely would have. Frankly I think we were all very stupid for believing this.

#29 Edited by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

Would certainly explain why they were so coy with the details of something that should have been a major bullet point feature.

#30 Edited by Jensonb (1740 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

I'd like to know what his source is on that. All the talk I had heard from journos was that their sources said the publishers had only even heard about the DRM stuff through back channels, nothing on paper yet. How could they have had a deal in place for a feature of something they hadn't officially discussed?

#31 Posted by xyzygy (9935 posts) -

People are just looking everywhere for stuff against Microsoft. The thing is dead, leave it be. No sense discussing something that will never happen.

#32 Edited by mrfluke (5127 posts) -

@hidys: EXACTLY!!! like holy shit thank you!!!. it baffles me that this whole borrowing thing flew over everyones heads, there's no way that freedom was going to be what people wanted as that could have been easily been exploited, or to the very least, those digital guys in their circle of 10, would have easily wised up and exploited this and essentially worked out a "queue" for their circle lets say. that way their 10 people get to play the game eventually. and only 1 out of the 10 would have to really buy a game for the 10 to really get to play it(at least thats how i would have exploited it with my circle of 10, as we are in no big rush to play games on day 1, especially if there was a loophole of not paying anything).

also cboat did respond back in relation to being wrong about prince of persia , which was the only thing he was wrong about, all the core things he was right about, albeit a bit mixed up (he was right about mirrors edge 2 being a thing, but it wasn't at the MS conference, but MS did lose 2 exclusives apparently as they showed 13 exclusives not the 15 originally promised)

here's the response from Cboat (he's not an english speaker apparently)

sory baout popersia. ):

got puled proba. dont no. but im sory any was.

stil kep ears to grounf dfor oyuu in 2014. thaksf or yor time

ps biter tears stil fel nice on miy holehome.

ubisoft had a killer line up this year with AC4, watch dogs, the division, and the crew and splinter cell.,

it would make sense to leave far cry 4, this prince of persia game,the new rainbow 6, and beyond good and evil 2 for next year.

im not holding this strike against this dude (hell no one is ever fully right, look at patrick, pre e3, he was very adamant that sony was going to have DRM and that it was going to be more than 400 bucks and then they pulled that last minute switch and lo and behold he was wrong, but it was ultimately not his fault),

#33 Posted by Andorski (5239 posts) -

That "blog" was way too well fucking written for it to be some engineer putting his thoughts out on the net. It's too concise, too structured, and is extremely PR friendly.

#34 Posted by tourgen (4459 posts) -

Oh wow, an unconfirmed, unsourced blog posting somewhere on the internet and a LOLgaf thread.

Yeah, excuse me while I just ignore this wholesale.

#35 Edited by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

So ya'll who were just blaiming microsoft for poor messaging not more then a week ago, all of a sudden understood perfectly what the family sharing thing was? How does that work? Ya'll speculate for weeks but then when some dude claiming to be on the inside says one thing ya'll suddenly don't need to speculate anymore, ya'll just know what the hell that family sharing thing meant?

That horse is dead, but it'll feel great if I can just kick its dead corpse one more time right?

#36 Posted by HurricaneIvan29 (582 posts) -

@mrfluke: No no, the original policies said that one hour was merely the time limit before the next online check in. So if you combine the two policies they would state: "You can share the game with 10 people, but when the game is played on a non-original console it needs to be checked online every hour." Not that it only plays for an hour before only playing on the original. Then again, they also contradicted and misworded a lot of their policies that were originally released, such as the original owner being able to "always" play their games, as well as any one family member... which we obviously found out was false.

#37 Edited by BaconGames (3359 posts) -

At some point it's all pointless to speculate given how tenuous the entire program was even prior to this rollback. We'll wait and see until November and even it's just the start.

#38 Edited by TruthTellah (8720 posts) -

We, as a community, should stop treating random rumors as though their very existence makes them tantamount to truth.

#39 Posted by Reisz (1479 posts) -

The truth to this is undoubtedly somewhere between the two extremes. I'm certain it wasn't set in stone, hell they turned around on the whole god damn thing. They were literally able to switch it off. I would have put my money on it being entirely in flux. Why else would they have skirted around the details in their messaging otherwise?

@xyzygy: You should be really excited about the turn around man, knowing about that flexibility is really exciting. I know you were into the family plan but the about face we saw yesterday shows us that they could bring that plan back whenever they wish at some point in the future. You may still get what you want.

This subject is definitely worth discussing too, it's without doubt the maddest thing that we've ever seen on the run up to new consoles.

#40 Edited by Hailinel (24272 posts) -

@jensonb said:

@bigjeffrey said:

I'd like to know what his source is on that. All the talk I had heard from journos was that their sources said the publishers had only even heard about the DRM stuff through back channels, nothing on paper yet. How could they have had a deal in place for a feature of something they hadn't officially discussed?

Not saying that I think the rumor is true, but Gies is a poor journalist, so I wouldn't take him at his word on anything.

#41 Posted by mrfluke (5127 posts) -

@hurricaneivan29: well the GB guys also said on tnt today they heard the other people that are borrowing your game, after the hour it just kicks you back to the dashboard, i dont think it was as easy as digital people liked,

ultimately we'll never know the truth at this point. im glad though that people have wised up and saw that it wasnt going to be so simple to the very least.,

but like mannn, the way they have fucked up and the devolution pitch of that family plan still astounds me.

1st draft = you can share your digital game with 10 people in your circle, you just need to abide by our DRM/online policies.

2nd draft = you can share your games, but only 1 person in your group can use it at a time and both of you cant play the same game thats your sharing. and you just need to abide by our rules still

now this Supposed rumored 3rd draft = oh yea, its just a glorified Timed demo you can lend to your buddies ranging from 15-60mins and we havent decided if its a one time usage or they can play the game in those chunks , we like to call it " the spotify or pandora service of video games"

good grief,

#42 Posted by Jensonb (1740 posts) -

@hailinel: I'm not familiar with him, so I have no idea what to make of him. Googling him does not fill me with confidence in him either. But anyway, I went and checked his Twitter to see if he even gave any vague citations. He basically said "I heard it from some people", which gives me no cause to believe him one way or the other. I'll believe it if I hear it from a more reputable journalist, but so far nobody else I've seen seems to have sources denying the PasteBin

#43 Posted by HurricaneIvan29 (582 posts) -

@mrfluke: Exactly, they went back on their word once already, so I don't doubt that they would have again with the new rumor. In fact, I'm leaning more towards the rumor being true than not. I believe it 65% chance to be true, 35% chance to not.

#44 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (3628 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@jensonb said:

@bigjeffrey said:

Not saying that I think the rumor is true, but Gies is a poor journalist, so I wouldn't take him at his word on anything.

This was tweeted early on during the whole Adam Orth thing. Poor journalist is an understatement. When it comes to this particular issue especially, I feel Gies is EXACTLY as reliable as a random anonymous PasteBin blog. Probably less.

#45 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

Gries is terrible. He did not only defend the whole Simcity thing until it died he also defended MS DRM politics back then like no other.

#46 Posted by bigjeffrey (4904 posts) -

@hailinel said:

@jensonb said:

@bigjeffrey said:

This was tweeted early on during the whole Adam Orth thing. Poor journalist is an understatement. When it comes to this particular issue especially, I feel Gies is EXACTLY as reliable as a random anonymous PasteBin blog. Probably less.

Gies is EXACTLY as reliable as a random anonymous PasteBin blog

- i feel everyone has lost many reasons to pile on xbox one, i really dont care but yeah as reliable as a paste bin blog. But since everyone is treating it as fact............ whatever, THE INTERNET.

#47 Edited by Lazyaza (2176 posts) -

Remember when consoles were about pushing a power button and putting a disc in and pressing play, and that was it. Good times.

#48 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@spaceinsomniac said:

@hailinel said:

@jensonb said:

@bigjeffrey said:

Gies is EXACTLY as reliable as a random anonymous PasteBin blog

- i feel everyone has lost many reasons to pile on xbox one, i really dont care but yeah as reliable as a paste bin blog. But since everyone is treating it as fact............ whatever, THE INTERNET.

This comes from sources everything wsa right as well. So yeah.. Also you really don't believe that MS would do such a thing? Major Nelson even said in the Angry Joe interview which was before the DRM stuff at E3 that you can play a portion of a game. Not the word portion.

#49 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Figures, MS can't take two steps forward without taking one back.

You've got that a bit backwards.

Regarding the topic: Who cares either way? It's not happening.

#50 Edited by Humanity (9015 posts) -

@hidys said:

@theht said:

Didnt we already have a thread about a person on Neogaf with E3 predictions and "if he was lying he would've been banned by now" and he literally got everything wrong?

Well did he get banned?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.