The Family Share feature was basically a lie all along.

• 107 results
#101 Posted by CornBREDX (4754 posts) -

So, what you're saying is, if true, the DRM we were told was actually the good news

haha

That's rich.

I still really wish this all played out. I really wanted to see what would happen.

#102 Posted by Nhoj_Sllew (173 posts) -

@golguin:

they put their name on it

when someone who is "leaking" info does the same that's when you need to take them serious

#103 Posted by slyspider (1133 posts) -

I dont know why this would be shocking? Did the internet assume that microsoft was cool cutting 9 people out of buying a game? It would be the death of single player only games because, who the fuck would pay when your friend has it and is already done? Right now we actually need to be in the same town or use the postal service to share games, in this magical 'everyone gets everyone elses games for free' land it wouldn't matter how close you were. I'm not sure how much faith I put into this 'blog' or this guy on a Neogaf thread, but common sense and sound business choices dictate that this would never have existed in the first place.

#104 Posted by golguin (3832 posts) -

@golguin:

they put their name on it

when someone who is "leaking" info does the same that's when you need to take them serious

At this point I don't see a reason to believe any information Microsoft puts out after all this nonsense. It seems to change every few days. Family Sharing Plan was a big deal for them until they decided to take it away. Games were going to benefit from "The Power of the Cloud" until it no longer became a requirement to be always connected. What else are they going to change/take back in the next several months?

#105 Posted by EXTomar (4446 posts) -

Side note: "The power of the cloud" is BS anyway. Today if you play console multiplayer FPS, guess what is happening? All of the movement and behavior is offloaded and not taking placing on your console. Guess the future is now!

#106 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

IGN reports it was not a lie.

Link

@extomar Its MS more or saying in a fancy way " We have dedicated servers" And maybe some other stuff like the Driver AI for Forza or what ever. Maybe some other benefits but we have not heard.

Update. "The Cloud" Is really a way to keep watch on asteroids that might crash into earth.

#107 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

It was too good to be true. I saw this coming a mile away. Did you really think that MS of all companies would allow 15 people to play a game that was bought only once?

Come on, guys...

#108 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

It was too good to be true. I saw this coming a mile away. Did you really think that MS of all companies would allow 15 people to play a game that was bought only once?

Come on, guys...

It was 10 people. And only one person could play at a time.

#109 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1798 posts) -

I'm really appalled by the tone of the blog. Like game publishers are starving artists or something. While I agree that the game industry is not a multibillion dollar industry, it is a multimillion dollar one. If anything publishers should have gotten a clue about what people are willing to pay for a video game, and maybe budget development accordingly.

#110 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2528 posts) -

From the start I figured the 'Family Share" would at the very lest be a weak point. Somehow that is where hackers would attack the system to get universal sharing....which would have meant that was the FIRST thing to go.

It is very troubling how surface level most of the discussions about Microsoft's DRM plan have were, have been, and probably will be in the future. The real deep down issues is not physical media rights, everyone has a sense of possession of disc meaning something. The real problem is that a consumer's/citizen's digital right of ANYTHING (books, movies, music, vlogs, textbooks, magazines) are not something to delay toss away just because we see games as a lesser issue. Digital items not being 'sold' but only licensed is an issue, it erodes a fundamental part of our democracy that allows for those without means to have access at basic level to the 'works' of a culture. The free public library is one of those 'leveling' mechanism of the late 19th and early 20th century that allowed for the spread of a middle class. To destroy a "free loan" system for digital items (of some sort) will set back what we call - western democratic social ideals - hundreds of years.

There are many rights is our society that are interlocked with institutions of democracy we only hazily appreciate. But much of what our forefathers/mothers created was created for a DAMN good reason. The complexity of modern life often hides the structure of our democracy, so we need to be careful about why we cut away and lose. If there were a more grating saying than "Its just a game...relax." I don't know it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.