Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

The new Media-Player totally rocks socks.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

I just wanted to let you guys know that Preview members can finally start using the Media Player App. You should be able to use USB 2/3.0, or any flash drive. I don't think there is a minimum/maximum on the storage space, unlike external game storage. I've now transferred just a bunch of my movies and TV shows, and I've started transferring Giant Bomb trailers, and GameSpot's The Point episodes on my old external hdd, so I can watch on the Xbox.

Also, it uses this huge list of formats, including mkv. It does gifs, i guess. I guess you could do music too, and this would be how to throw mixtapes in the background while you're doing that free-roaming in whatever open-world game or whatever. I wonder if you could snap the media player. Haven't tried it yet, but that'd be cool if they threw that in an update. Oh, and they're supposed to be putting DLNA support in some update soon.

Xbox One compatible file types:

3gp audio

3gp video

3gp2

aac

adts

animated gif

asf

avi divx

avi dv

avi uncompressed

avi xvid

bmp

jpg

gif

h264 avchd

mjpeg

mkv

mov

mp3

mpeg 1 ps

mpeg 2

mpeg 2 hd

mpeg 2 ts

mpeg 4 h264 aac

mpeg 4 sp

png

tiff

wav

wma

wma lossless

wma pro

wma voice

wmv

wmv hd

http://majornelson.com/2014/08/15/xbox-one-system-update-now-available-preview-members/

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

Pretty sweet! List of file formats is actually a little hilarious. I really hope Sony can get something like this up and running before my eventual XB1 purchase, I miss the media server functionality a wee bit.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck DLNA, they should just support SMB shares (they are after all the Windows people).

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Can it do H.264 Hi10P? I have...reasons.

Since PS4 still hasn't announced DNLA yet, this addition makes me strongly consider an XBO in my near future. Probably early 2015.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Well that is a really impressive thing, because Windows Media player is Hot garbage, they should remake it like this.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I still have my PS3 plugged in which can do all that stuff. Still cool for people who don't have a PS3 or it's boxed away.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I downloaded it, but haven't actually watched anything yet. I figure I'll probably wait until they get the network support up and running, I'm not dying to watch anything so badly that I want to copy stuff to a USB stick.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

They've got my money, I guess. I was on the fence about buying a Xbox One but this would be great for watching video.

tripmills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:

Fuck DLNA, they should just support SMB shares (they are after all the Windows people).

Totally. I'm a low overhead kinda guy with a couple of NAS devices used for nothing but storage(screw all the stupid NAS apps and such). I loved having the 360 see my shared out media directories.

I was too lazy last night and only tried a few MP3s on the preview media player just to test it out. Looks good...better than the 360 media interface.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Grrr I wish I was in the Preview Program. I was last gen... need to get in this gen. If anyone can spare an invite, the tag is DoctorTran37. It'd be much appreciated.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#11 FinalDasa  Moderator

I was already able to stream some .MP4s from my PC to my One through my wireless router. I'll have to tinker around to see if this will allow me to play more video types I have kicking around or not.

Being able to stream essentially anything from my PC would be nice though. I wasn't going to use Xbox Video to start renting movies anytime soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-64ba519b6e291
    deactivated-64ba519b6e291

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Double Post -

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doctortran said:

Grrr I wish I was in the Preview Program. I was last gen... need to get in this gen. If anyone can spare an invite, the tag is DoctorTran37. It'd be much appreciated.

Sure, I'll send you an invite right away. - Edit - Sent. You'll get a message from XBox Live in a few days provided it went through, my invite had to be sent twice.

@corruptedevil said:

I still have my PS3 plugged in which can do all that stuff. Still cool for people who don't have a PS3 or it's boxed away.

My PS3 won't play MKVs. I've got to convert them with mkv2vob. It's usually an easy enough process, but it's nice to skip that step and have that compatibility straight on the XBox One.

The sad part to me is that my PS3 is in the bedroom and since neither of the newer consoles supported media files I already bought a cheap WDTV unit to play all my media that uses way less power. I mean it's still a great feature to bring back and improve on, but at least for me it's a problem I solved a while ago.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By penguindust

@TerribleStapler: use the Universal Media Server or PS Media Server to play MKV's on your PS3.

otoboke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I can already push most media files (including MKV h264) to the XONE through my router using PlayTo and Shark007's codec pack, though obviously this is through live transcoding on the server-side which isn't ideal. The main problem is not being able to seek through most high bitrate files doing this. So on the occasion where things would hitch up and stop playing, I would have to start from the beginning again, or use MediaBrowser which is slightly more adept at transcoding on the fly.

Hopefully this added native support will smooth things over until DLNA crops up though. A sight for sore eyes, for sure.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penguindust said:

@TerribleStapler: use the Universal Media Server or PS Media Server to play MKV's on your PS3.

I used to do that, but since making the switch from standard AVI's to HD MKV's the network just can't handle it. Maybe if I can convince the wife to let me run thirty feet of ethernet across the apartment... but that's an entirely more difficult project by itself. Besides since then I've kind of gotten used to using the USB sticks, mostly because it lets me shut down the PC.

Avatar image for darknessmyoldfriend
    DarknessMyOldFriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does it seem like streaming directly from a pc works well?

rickyyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Streaming directly from a PC was a day one feature... It is just people don't know how to use it. But, also it is limited to windows 8/8.1. Those versions of windows recognize the Xbox One and you can right click any supported media format and have it stream. Half way through writing this someone already posted this.

@otoboke said:

I can already push most media files (including MKV h264) to the XONE through my router using PlayTo and Shark007's codec pack, though obviously this is through live transcoding on the server-side which isn't ideal. The main problem is not being able to seek through most high bitrate files doing this. So on the occasion where things would hitch up and stop playing, I would have to start from the beginning again, or use MediaBrowser which is slightly more adept at transcoding on the fly.

Hopefully this added native support will smooth things over until DLNA crops up though. A sight for sore eyes, for sure.

Using the playto function has the same effect. I just use some file conversion software to get it into a format playto can use.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can it do H.264 Hi10P? I have...reasons.

What they said. My bluray player can handle 8bit MKV's just fine, but can't do 10bit. Also it's dumb that 10 bit isn't the standard yet. 10bit video massively increases color ranges without increasing file sizes, so you don't get horrible color banding and black crush.

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony really needs to get around to updating media support onto the PS4. Hopefully all the positive buzz around this Xbox update will force them to pick up their game and get to it a bit faster. Pretty crazy that it's coming up on a year since launch and they still haven't implemented it.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, they are actually using MKV. I am so damn glad and surprised. Good on you MS.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DoctorTran

@doctortran said:

Sure, I'll send you an invite right away. - Edit - Sent. You'll get a message from XBox Live in a few days provided it went through, my invite had to be sent twice.

Much appreciated sir! Your gratitude will be remembered.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please add these retroactively to the 360. Or just MKV. That'd be beyond lovely. Also Sony...please catch up soon.

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DoctorTran

@doctortran said:

Got the invite and dashboard app yesterday! Right now I'm just in a "Pending" state. Thanks again, duder!

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DoctorTran

Is MKV not currently supported? Is that going to be a full release thing?

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slaegar: What is black crush? I looked it up and all I found was "the place to meet horny black girls online who are looking to get their freak on."

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TerribleStapler said:
    @doctortran said:

Got the invite and dashboard app yesterday! Right now I'm just in a "Pending" state. Thanks again, duder!

No problem happy to help. :)

And if anyone is still monitoring the thread here, the latest update came through in the preview. MKVs are playing fine. No converting or anything. The XBox One is a media power house now. Finally a console to do MKV justice. +1

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like that the xbox one can natively view MKVs but Windows itself can't. Which is especially dumb when my Sony smart tv can :/

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having troubles with MKV. Two different shows, both MKV, they'll start and play, but at some point playback stops and I get an error code. Looks like I'm still converting stuff. :-/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.