The New Xbox Boss is Steve Balmer for the time being.

• 76 results
#51 Posted by mrfluke (5088 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

@truthtellah said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@mrfluke said:

my opinion as an internet user doesn't change of balmer though.

What

I think he's just saying that he would still dislike Ballmer whether he was their only choice or not. The point being that anything involving him is something he might find reason to complain about.

In this case, Ballmer is simply taking on additional responsibility, but I imagine he will be trying to find someone else. As this is a boss getting rid of an employee and then taking over the work of that employee until they find someone to serve in that role in the long term.

truth tellah tells the truth again. and you've said it in a much nicer, sensible way.

Thank you, I couldn't quite understand that sentence.

sorry if you took my last message in a wrong way btw,

im too used to arguing with people on these boards, that when you just said "what" i took it the wrong way.

No just didn't really know what you meant by that sentence, and you don't have to fight with people on this forum you know.

,it is their opinion, and tone just doesnt come through in text, and also, not everyone is nice on message boards like truthtellah, and its not all about arguing here...

......but there are some opinions ive seen here though, ill give you an example, there was the whole pro digital argument and a set of users that came out of the woodwork and literally badmouthing people for liking physical media, i just cant help but argue with those type of people and question them on why they are so self centered.

but this is getting off topic,ultimately i did not realize you sincerely didn't knew what i meant, your actually the first person that surprised me like that, that didnt know what i meant when i said "as an internet user".

Not "as an internet user" but that whole sentence.

and also you have a habit of leaving comments in threads that are either passive aggressive or dismissive because of another viewpoints, so you shouldnt be surprised when people argue with you.

oh im not surprised when people argue with me, im going to sound like a nutjob here, but i welcome it, ,that doesn't mean i agree with them or that im trying to convert them to my thinking,

im interested in hearing why they stand behind their positions on a subject and what they think of the opposing argument,

in your case where you legitimately didn't know what i meant by that sentence and wasn't just being snarky, in my experience here, thats very rare to come across.

trying to think of what you're talking about,

if your referencing when i told you to feel free to keep commenting and its not gonna change my mind when i was posting the X1 stories, you were complaining about why i keep posting them because you dont like those stories.,

im sorry dude, but i post those to find out what people think of said stories, good or bad, imo people just coming on and whining about these stories about how its just dogpiling on MS is pointless and rather stupid,

as A its not my fault MS has been in the gaming news for controversial reasons,

and B, Why even post in the story you dont like in the first place? all that does is just surface it back up for it to get more views.

smartly vote with your clicks and posts dude,

makes me understand how it annoys patrick when he posts about sexism stories and then people just comment and whine that those stories get added,

I think you just replied to yourself, and why did you delete your comment?

yea deliberately replied to myself, had more to say,

i deleted my comments because our conversation was taking over the comments on this thread, and in relation in this thread. what we were talking about became Offtopic to the story i posted.

#52 Posted by mrfluke (5088 posts) -

@face15 said:

Look at how he's standing. Fucking beautiful.

that picture is amazing.

#53 Edited by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@face15 said:

Look at how he's standing. Fucking beautiful.

that picture is amazing.

I'm excited just from seeing this picture. I really like Steve sure he is wrong a lot of the time but at least he is fun to watch, it's almost like he doesn't give a fuck about himself all he cares about is MS.

#54 Posted by Hailinel (23846 posts) -

@tourgen said:

All I know about him is he's into throwing chairs across the room.

Well, and that he's pushing for subscription services to Office and Visual Studio. Which I'm not a fan of but hey, Qt Creator is free and slightly better so fine, do what you want MS.

The thing that concerns me about Ballmer is that he's not really a tech guy. He rose through the ranks at Microsoft on the sales and marketing side. Under his watch, numerous products have floundered ranging from Windows Vista to the Zune platform, and even their biggest hardware success, the 360, was plagued with hardware issues early on that cost them a fortune to repair and delayed the Xbox division's rise into profitability. These miscues aren't entirely Ballmer's fault, but he's not a technical man; he's a blustery salesman. And now he's in the midst of preparing a large scale reorganization of the entire corporation.

What could possibly go wrong?

#55 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

@mrfluke: Im pretty sure we had the discussion before anyway of " I can post about how I disagree with you" and differing opinions are good, and not everyone who disagrees with you is just whining like you think that they are. Also saying that if I don't like the thread don't comment isn't good either.

#56 Posted by Slag (3989 posts) -

Kinda doubt Steve is going to do much given the massive reorg Microsoft is rumored to be undertaking company wide which is probably occupying the vast majority of his time, my guess is the Xbox underlings will be actually running things not ballmer. Which could be a power vaccum or communication problems or a power struggle. This a bad time to be leaderless.

It's not uncommon for execs to leave immediately post launch, but this seems a perhaps encouraged early exit. A lot of dept heads are very nervous about their future there, Mattrick may have seen the writing on the wall and jumped ship before he was kicked off. It may be a step up technically but I doubt many view Zynga as a good of a job as he just had. My guess is it's the best he could find on short notice.

In any event very bad timing for Microsoft imo given that there are still major marketing decisions to be made.

#57 Edited by ShaggE (6320 posts) -

This is the best birthday gift.

I can see it now: "FUCK YOUR WIIUSTATIONS, THIS IS THE X FUCKING BOX, AND YOU WILL BUY ONE, OR I WILL PISS DIRECTLY ON EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOUR HEADS! THINK I'M JOKING? ASK JACK AND REGGIE! REGGIE'S BODY ISN'T FUCKING READY, IT'S FUCKING WET, IS WHAT HIS BODY IS! FROM MY PISS!"

Also, obligatory:

#58 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

@shagge said:

This is the best birthday gift.

I can see it now: "FUCK YOUR WIIUSTATIONS, THIS IS THE X FUCKING BOX, AND YOU WILL BUY ONE, OR I WILL PISS DIRECTLY ON EACH AND EVERY ONE OF YOUR HEADS! THINK I'M JOKING? ASK JACK AND REGGIE! REGGIE'S BODY ISN'T FUCKING READY, IT'S FUCKING WET, IS WHAT HIS BODY IS! FROM MY PISS!"

Also, obligatory:

Every E3 is cancelled, now each year each company sends in a person to a cage match for the prize of the biggest game of the year exclusive to their console.

#59 Posted by KaneRobot (1416 posts) -

Tretton better watch out. This nutjob will tear him in half.

#60 Edited by EXTomar (4487 posts) -

I've asked this in the Mattrick thread: Would Allard even want this job? A bunch of the people who "interfered" with his projects are still at Microsoft. Unless he is made boss of all of them, why would he want to come back?

#61 Edited by mrfluke (5088 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid: something is getting lost between what we're talking about here cause now your confusing me,

as where did i say everyone is disagreeing with my opinion are just whining?,there are posts on a couple of boards that have nothing to do with the topic and are just about "oh more microsoft stories" or "isnt this the 2nd microsoft story" those are what i consider to be just whining, never said thats everyone's opinion.

i have 0 problem with people disagreeing with me, everyone has their own opinion, differing opinions are good, and im not out there trying to change anyones opinion, more to see where they stand.

when i say if you dont like the thread dont comment, is bottom line im not planning to stop stories when the opinion is "stop posting stories" or "isnt this the 2nd microsoft story?" or how its just dogpiling when my interest is to just throw the story out there and see what people say.

if its being dismissive when im just simply saying dont award my post with your time if you dont like it just cause it rings as dogpiling to you, then im sorry.

theres a lot more people on these boards that id like to hear what their opinions are on a subject than just simply writing off a story as dogpiling. and again, its not my fault microsoft is in gaming news for their PR mess.

my angle is if you dont like a story, why give it your attention and posts? if you hate the story, imo the best thing to do is not award it with your time and post, that way it gets buried a lot quicker than normal. thats my angle, but you can continue posting, im not trying to be no passive aggressive or snarky, just simply saying like it is, a post on a thread surfaces it all the way to the top.

and also, how would you feel if you were posting a story and it essentially comes off as someone telling you "hey cause i dont like the story, shut up, cause I simply dont like the story"

#62 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

You take this as bad news?

Yes he is bad news. 'If you would read news some times investors are blaming Ballmer for everything that is wrong with Microsoft.

#63 Posted by mrfluke (5088 posts) -

@extomar said:

I've asked this in the Mattrick thread: Would Allard even want this job? A bunch of the people who "interfered" with his projects are still at Microsoft. Unless he is made boss of all of them, why would he want to come back?

well allard is apparently an adviser to balmer.

#64 Posted by hollitz (1408 posts) -

MS is bringing it!

Ballmer is hilarious and way more exciting to watch than Mattrick. I don't care about what he can bring to the console, I just want to see his goofy ass up on stage hopping about and yelling. Maybe next E3 have a CG Ballmer on the screen outside the Xbox booth making cracks at the press and saying how much he likes spaghetti.

#65 Posted by mrpandaman (864 posts) -

It's Steve Ballmer's on the Tim & Eric Awesome Show, before that show existed... wait is John C. Reilly Steve Ballmer? Or is Steve Ballmer John C. Reilly?

#66 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid: something is getting lost between what we're talking about here cause now your confusing me,

as where did i say everyone is disagreeing with my opinion are just whining?,there are posts on a couple of boards that have nothing to do with the topic and are just about "oh more microsoft stories" or "isnt this the 2nd microsoft story" those are what i consider to be just whining, never said thats everyone's opinion.

i have 0 problem with people disagreeing with me, everyone has their own opinion, differing opinions are good, and im not out there trying to change anyones opinion, more to see where they stand.

when i say if you dont like the thread dont comment, is bottom line im not planning to stop stories when the opinion is "stop posting stories" or "isnt this the 2nd microsoft story?" or how its just dogpiling when my interest is to just throw the story out there and see what people say.

if its being dismissive when im just simply saying dont award my post with your time if you dont like it just cause it rings as dogpiling to you, then im sorry.

theres a lot more people on these boards that id like to hear what their opinions are on a subject than just simply writing off a story as dogpiling. and again, its not my fault microsoft is in gaming news for their PR mess.

my angle is if you dont like a story, why give it your attention and posts? if you hate the story, imo the best thing to do is not award it with your time and post, that way it gets buried a lot quicker than normal. thats my angle, but you can continue posting, im not trying to be no passive aggressive or snarky, just simply saying like it is, a post on a thread surfaces it all the way to the top.

and also, how would you feel if you were posting a story and it essentially comes off as someone telling you "hey cause i dont like the story, shut up, cause I simply dont like the story"

Well I guess we can agree to disagree, since I don't think thats the right angle for disagreement since I don't really think most people care about the thread getting bumped and it makes for a good discussion rather than if you just say don't post in it if you don't like it, if you post something that's about a debatable topic be expecting some criticism and don't think everyone is out to get you and just disagree with you because of the subject matter of the story.

But hey opinions

Well I guess thats it then. Hope this can end it

#67 Posted by Hailinel (23846 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@extomar said:

well allard is apparently an adviser to balmer.

That may be, but being an adviser to Ballmer is in no way indicative of any desire to return to the executive ranks. I doubt that Allard would actually want the job if it were offered to him.

#68 Posted by Darson (448 posts) -
AWWWWWW YEEAAAAAH

#69 Edited by Elwoodan (752 posts) -

Steve Ballmer headed up Vista, FYI.

EDIT: Oh, and killed Zune, which was actually shaping up to be pretty alright in a 'they're called MP3 Players, not Ipods' sorta way.

#70 Edited by Fheonix (17 posts) -

I know he's technically retired, but it won't be the worst thing in the world if they let J Allard hold down the fort until Ballmer can find a replacement...

#71 Posted by cheapandtacky (127 posts) -

Makes perfect sense, the XONE has been an absolute nightmare so far and with Mattrick leaving this close to launch I think he may have had a gentle shove.

#72 Posted by Nhoj_Sllew (173 posts) -

i wanna drink with balmer

#73 Posted by EXTomar (4487 posts) -

I'm definitely not "hating" on Allard but I suspect the only way he is going to come back to Microsoft is if the board asks him to run Microsoft.

#74 Edited by Ghostiet (5222 posts) -
Ballmer may be fucking insane, but Tretton has the look and tools of a serial killer.

#75 Posted by Revan_NL (332 posts) -

I think it's hilarious that he can combine the phrase 'services that consumers love' with words like Bing and Internet Explorer.

#76 Posted by mrfluke (5088 posts) -

@connerthekewlkid: (gotta say, in my 5 years of being here, you're the only person thats made a stink about this whole thing.

i really probably shouldnt care because why let a singular person on the internet bother you in the first place?, but since your the first person to raise an issue like this and you dont seem to be the snarky type and are a lot more "legit" with complaints than the typical internet user, its why im fully game to hearing you out even though i think this is super petty.)

so ok, well first lets keep this conflict between me and you as i dont think your picking up the fact that im totally ok with people disagreeing with my viewpoint on a subject,(doesnt mean im going to agree with them either, but im still interested in seeing their perspective) and im not thinking everyone is out to get me because of the topic of the story (this is a very wild assumption you made here)

you're making a lot of heavy assumptions based on text, its simply a suggestion im saying of if you dont like it why comment? and im saying this when its completely off topic statements that have nothing to do with the subject matter

the one im referencing is this one you wrote on the thread i made about don mattrick's statements "But cmon now dont you think your going over-board with the "X Microsoft employee said this" thread twice a day?"

(and for the record thats a gross generalization as i didnt post those threads twice a day, i posted that story on the 17th, after that the one before that was X1 related was on the 7th, and i did one more on the 20th, you can check the X1 board if you dont believe me, kinda cant be blamed if 2 MS stories stayed on page 1 for a while.)

my angle is what discussion value is statements like this that have nothing to do with the topic of the thread thats about don mattrick statements? and what do you tell someone that says something like this (would you rather i ignore you then)?, when im just posting these topics to hear what people think of the statements from MS.

but hey we can disagree and everyone's entitled to their opinion,

#77 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1803 posts) -

@mrfluke said:

@connerthekewlkid: (gotta say, in my 5 years of being here, you're the only person thats made a stink about this whole thing.

i really probably shouldnt care because why let a singular person on the internet bother you in the first place?, but since your the first person to raise an issue like this and you dont seem to be the snarky type and are a lot more "legit" with complaints than the typical internet user, its why im fully game to hearing you out even though i think this is super petty.)

so ok, well first lets keep this conflict between me and you as i dont think your picking up the fact that im totally ok with people disagreeing with my viewpoint on a subject,(doesnt mean im going to agree with them either, but im still interested in seeing their perspective) and im not thinking everyone is out to get me because of the topic of the story (this is a very wild assumption you made here)

you're making a lot of heavy assumptions based on text, its simply a suggestion im saying of if you dont like it why comment? and im saying this when its completely off topic statements that have nothing to do with the subject matter

the one im referencing is this one you wrote on the thread i made about don mattrick's statements "But cmon now dont you think your going over-board with the "X Microsoft employee said this" thread twice a day?"

(and for the record thats a gross generalization as i didnt post those threads twice a day, i posted that story on the 17th, after that the one before that was X1 related was on the 7th, and i did one more on the 20th, you can check the X1 board if you dont believe me, kinda cant be blamed if 2 MS stories stayed on page 1 for a while.)

my angle is what discussion value is statements like this that have nothing to do with the topic of the thread thats about don mattrick statements? and what do you tell someone that says something like this (would you rather i ignore you then)?, when im just posting these topics to hear what people think of the statements from MS.

but hey we can disagree and everyone's entitled to their opinion,

Good, glad you can finally see that everyone has their opinion and it was pointless to drag this out now can I please go back to mining in EVE :) ?

also your right in the fact of you shouldn't let somebody on the internet get you down because internet arguments are pretty dumb.

#78 Posted by Superkenon (1379 posts) -
@mrfluke said:

The New Xbox Boss

The New Xboss, am I right?!

#79 Posted by TooWalrus (13135 posts) -

Gross.

#80 Edited by GaspoweR (2792 posts) -

@fourwude said:

Jack Tretton vs Steve Ballmer.

There can be only one.

I had to post this when you said that line.

#81 Posted by PillClinton (3290 posts) -

Seems like Microsoft's having an internal crisis of sorts. We only get to see little bits and pieces, but it's pretty apparent from all the blundering and backpedaling they've done recently. It just seems like they don't have their house in order at all, which likely won't help them going into a new generation.

#82 Posted by Veektarius (4579 posts) -

Not crazy with Microsoft's decisions under his leadership, but I'm sure he's had a say in the Xbone since the beginning.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.