Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

This is the racing wheel for the Xbox One

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

No Caption Provided

Mad Catz is intending to fill the racing wheel niche on the Xbox One with the "Force Feedback Racing Wheel" pictured above. There is no pricing info yet for the thing but we do know that it is going to be wireless, feature force feedback, "genuine suede leather" and an adjustable pedal set. On top of that the wheel itself which is made from anodized aluminum can be switched and upgraded in the future.

I haven't been shopping around for third-party controllers in years but my last experiences with Mad Catz back in the early 2000's weren't all that great. Has the quality of their products changed, or should we be worried if this is the only wheel offering for the Xbox One? It's sad that my current living room setup doesn't really support the addition of a wheel, but I might be able to bolt one onto my computer desk.

Kotaku has the original story with more pictures.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

From what I have heard and seen, Mad Catz has turned itself around since then. That wheel looks pretty nice!

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Mad Catz has been responsible for the Street Fighter IV sticks that everyone loves, as well as all of the official Rock Band 3 instruments. They've definitely turned their image around lately. That said, this still doesn't seem particularly great. No clutch pedal? C'mon now. If you're buying a racing wheel, you may as well go all the way with it.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By isomeri

Here's a new PR video showing off the two wheels due to be released for Xbox One. Featuring lots of stiff dialogue and a Major Nelson who keeps looking increasingly dead inside. No real news in there, but the wheels do look really nice.

Loading Video...

Oh and can someone explain to me the reasoning behind that side plate on the Mad Catz accelerator pedal? I've never seen that on any car or racing wheel set. Maybe it'll flip out to accommodate a three-pedal setup.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By egg

"Mad Catz is intending to fill the racing wheel niche on the Xbox One"

lol there would not be a niche to fill if Xbone supported 360 racing wheels like it should!

egan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It's missing a pedal.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like crap, wait for Fanatec to release a real (fake) racing wheel.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Verendus

There wouldn't be any need to if the X360 accesories would've worked on X1.

Edit: Damn you Egg, should've read the posts before posting. D:

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 wheel will apparently retail for around 400 bucks and the company has a bunch of short videos of the wheel (not actually showing it in action) up on their YouTube channel.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

Still waiting on an actual racing hemet using oculus rift. That would be sweet.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Why do neither of these wheels have a clutch pedal? Isn't that kind of a huge issue for many?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

Why do neither of these wheels have a clutch pedal? Isn't that kind of a huge issue for many?

From what I understand the Mad Catz wheel is modular, so potentially they could sell new pedals and snifters in the future. I've never used a simulated gearshift which felt good, so I don't really see the need for the clutch. Also most of the cars that these games simulate use automatic paddle-shift transmissions, so a clutch-pedal and gearshift don't really add any sort of realism as far as I see. I'm sure that plenty of people swear by them though and I'm not the best person to judge because I haven't owned a racing wheel since Gran Turismo 3.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

@egg said:

lol there would not be a niche to fill if Xbone supported 360 racing wheels like it should!

Has any console supported older accessories like that?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

While I generally think Europeans are insane for preferring to live in the stone ages with their manual transmissions for every day commuting - I do think a racing wheel should have a clutch pedal.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By zero_

Don't you even think about it Vinny.

Kiri90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@egan85 said:

It's missing a pedal.

Correct!

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By korwin

Well at least it's better than the fuck awful 360 racing wheel.

No Caption Provided

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egg said:

Controller ports are no longer a factor since last gen.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Humanity

@egg said:

@mildmolasses said:

@egg said:

The PS4 will not be supporting previous generation controllers either, and the PS3 did not support the PS2 controllers. This is nothing new.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@egg said:

@mildmolasses said:

@egg said:

The PS4 will not be supporting previous generation controllers either, and the PS3 did not support the PS2 controllers. This is nothing new.

Xbox One is blocking controllers. (much like it was going to block used games) PS4 is blocking controllers too. (in addition to paid online) For this reason nobody should want a PS4 or an Xbox One.

How much do you suppose it would have increased manufacturing costs to make 360/PS3 controllers compatible?

GIyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GIyn

It's missing a hand-brake and a mount that I can use to hold my microsoft "surface" above the screen, emulating a rear view mirror.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egg said:

@humanity said:

@egg said:

@mildmolasses said:

@egg said:

Xbox One is blocking controllers. (much like it was going to block used games) PS4 is blocking controllers too. (in addition to paid online) For this reason nobody should want a PS4 or an Xbox One.

How much do you suppose it would have increased manufacturing costs to make 360/PS3 controllers compatible?

CONSPIRACY!

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@egg said:

It probably wouldn't have increased manufacturing costs at all. Maybe a workday from one programmer if even that. But racing wheel makers wouldn't be able to stay in business if people had just bought one good racing wheel back in the PS2 days and kept using it through this upcoming generation as well. Telling peripheral makers that old controllers won't be compatible is a great way for Sony and Microsoft to get the likes of Mad Catz to build new wheels and sticks for these new consoles at launch. With good reason you could say that it's anti-consumer to block old peripherals, but sadly I don't think that we could have fight-sticks, racing wheels, great headsets and so on without planned obsolescence. Of course manufacturers can't really pull off this tactic in the PC market, but from what I understand the majority of the peripheral market is still in the console space despite the rise of Steam and all.

If you feel that the business side of things is preventing you from buying new consoles then that's perfectly fine, but it just makes me wonder how you've been able to ever buy new consoles because I'm pretty sure that old peripherals have never been supported. Not well at least. And blocking used games had much more to do with piracy prevention in Microsoft's original online strategy than it did with revenue generation in my eyes.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Humanity

@egg said:

@humanity said:

@egg said:

@mildmolasses said:

@egg said:

I honestly don't mean this in a derogatory or demeaning way, but grow up.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@isomeri: I'm guessing it has something to do with adjusting the width of the pedal, I can't imagine any other use for it off the top of my head.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SlashDance
    @mildmolasses said:

@egg said:

Aren't PS3 racing wheels compatible with the PS4? I think I read that somewhere. I think the GT3 wheel for PS2 worked on PS3, too.

Even if there's no precendent though, for something that expensive and used in not that many games, backwards compatibility should be the norm.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To those above saying PS3 didn't support PS2 controllers, actually it did. You could get a USB to PS2 controller adapter and plug that in and use a DS2 (wired). You could use any USB controller.

And PS3 supported PS2 racing wheels. It also supported the Logitech G25/G27, for which Logitech never paid any licensing fees at all to Sony.

I have little doubt PS4 will support PS3 and PS2 racing wheels (USB).

MS should support 360 racing wheels through their USB adaptor at the very least.

Barf_Surprise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@egg said:

@humanity said:

@egg said:

@mildmolasses said:

@egg said:

When will gaming grow up? Why shouldn't they update their business practices to reflect the technology in their stupid box? Especially considering that even the general concept of console generations is increasingly becoming a relic; it's increasing becoming something that just is; something gamers have irrationally accepted, a snarky "everybody knows that" at a school playground.

There's no reason to rotate controllers anymore: Today controllers use USB and wireless and what's more, controller design finally leveled out--Xbox One controller is practically a carbon copy of Xbox 360 controller with no new functionality added. That right there is practically robbery but we overlook it only because it's "nothing new". (Except that with the coming consoles, it IS new.)

Other users are saying "It isn't anything new" "PS4 is also doing it" but if anything aren't those excuses kind of immature? It's brainwashed behavior.

Phr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Phr4nk0

@egg said:
    @humanity said:

@egg said:

@humanity said:

@egg said:

@mildmolasses said:

@egg said:

When will gaming grow up? Why shouldn't they update their business practices to reflect the technology in their stupid box? Especially considering that even the general concept of console generations is increasingly becoming a relic; it's increasing becoming something that just is; something gamers have irrationally accepted, a snarky "everybody knows that" at a school playground.

There's no reason to rotate controllers anymore: Today controllers use USB and wireless and what's more, controller design finally leveled out--Xbox One controller is practically a carbon copy of Xbox 360 controller with no new functionality added. That right there is practically robbery but we overlook it only because it's "nothing new". (Except that with the coming consoles, it IS new.)

Other users are saying "It isn't anything new" "PS4 is also doing it" but if anything aren't those excuses kind of immature? It's brainwashed behavior.

Haven't you heard, there are a whopping 40 new improvements in the new Xbox One controller.

Loading Video...

OK minuscule differences aside, there are actually a couple of decent differences.

Also, I liked the 360 wheel.

FirebirdINF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By FirebirdINF

@kiri90 said:

@egan85 said:

It's missing a pedal.

Correct!

most modern race cars have a manumatic shifter with paddles on the steering column. Pedals and manuals are now too slow.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Racing wheels are for maniacs. I thought we had a general consensus of this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.