Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Unpausing by itself

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Barrock

Has anyone experienced this? I was playing Dead Rising 3 and my girlfriend needed help in the other room. I went to help her and I suddenly heard zombie wailing. When I came back the game was unpaused and I was being mauled by a crowd of zombies. I thought it was strange and continued to play until I paused to look something up and put the controller down. The game unpaused twice by itself. If this is the Kinect thinking ambient noise is me saying "Unpause" they really need to remove that feature from future titles. Has anyone else run into this?

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By SSully

@barrock: I've seen a bunch of tweats related to the kinect voice commands doing stuff like pause/unpausing games or returning to the xbone home screen due to ambient noise. If it keeps happening it seems like the best current solution is to just disable voice commands, which kind of sucks considering its a major feature.

One Example:

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssully said:

@barrock: I've seen a bunch of tweats related to the kinect voice commands doing stuff like pause/unpausing games or returning to the xbone home screen due to ambient noise. If it keeps happening it seems like the best current solution is to just disable voice commands, which kind of sucks considering its a major feature.

One Example:

Weird. You know what the ambient noise was that unpaused my game in most cases? Pots clanging in a kitchen. Not even music or commercials.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By GuyIncognito

Loading Video...
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@guyincognito: That seems pretty frustrating... Is there a way to set it so you have to say xbox before every voice command? I feel like that would be a nice solution. Even then though, it could be a pain in the ass every time someone says xbox near the system.

Nhoj_Sllew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@guyincognito: that's not even the same Kinect...

haven't had anything happen like unpausing or whatnot tho I think I need to recalibrate cuz it has trouble hearing me sometimes

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

@ssully said:

@guyincognito: That seems pretty frustrating... Is there a way to set it so you have to say xbox before every voice command? I feel like that would be a nice solution. Even then though, it could be a pain in the ass every time someone says xbox near the system.

It's funny, my first inclination to be jokey around friends in that situation has been yelling "xbox" with some command at his 360. I quickly stop of course but since I imagine the attach rate on plugging in the Kinect to the Xbox One will at least be decent, then expanding the range of commands for Xbox will only make it that much easier to intentionally, and unintentionally, mess with the system.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HerbieBug

To think they were planning to launch the xbone with kinect mandatory and must be on at all times. >___<

Stink_Meaner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Stink_Meaner

His problem is he was watching "The Cleveland Show".

Loading Video...

His problem is he was watching " The Cleveland Show". I would turn my tv off too.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By alwaysbebombing

Play. The. Game.

earlygrab666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By earlygrab666

I have to unplug my OG kinect unless my kids are using it (let's be honest, that's the only market for this) because it would pick up every sound in my house and go crazy. When I hear them still marketing this thing for voice command I can't help but laugh. It's like the clapper all over again. Clap On. Clap Off. The Clapper. Just like the clapper, the tech will soon be seen for what it is. annoying, useless and over marketed to peoples laziness.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

XBOX OFF.

amardilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#13  Edited By amardilo

I've only noticed the unpausing on Dead Rising 3 (FIFA 14, Forza and Killer Instinct so far have been OK for me).

It's really annoying when I need to step away from my TV for a bit and I am nowhere near a safe zone.

stenchlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

I've found that just saying "Stop Listening" will fix issues like this. Shit that you need to do it but it's an easy thing to do.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I am sorry u are having troubles but i have to say hearing about this kind of stuff makes me laugh.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@deanoxd said:

I am sorry u are having troubles but i have to say hearing about this kind of stuff makes me laugh.

Man, me too. I can't wait to start screwing with my friends when they start buying Xbones.

Jnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@mb: you won't be disappointed.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it is pretty amazing they were thinking about making it mandatory to always have this thing connected/on. Nice idea, but ideas only make good products if they actually work and make our lives easier. Kinect seems like technology for the sake of technology.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yeeeah, Link Between Worlds is pretty good. No DLC, no microtransactions, no online passes, no patches, no voice or camera controls, no faulty disc drives, no overheating, no 1080p patches.

AND it does glasses-free 3D.

#thisistrulytheyearofluigi

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Maybe it was a g-g-g-g-ghooooooost!

GleasonRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By GleasonRyan

In Dead Rising there is an option to turn off voice menu navigation, doing that will fix the problem with Dead Rising.

salarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By salarn

Video from May 15, 2012 for the xbox360

Granted the XB1 kinect isn't perfect either but that video is a bit old to be relevant.

mernmern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have had the same issue with DR3. If I walk away from the TV, I now pause and then "Go Home". I am loving this game by the way. 12K zombies downed over the weekend.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Deal with it?

I wonder if they can patch the Kinect to make it better at recognizing voices. It seems kind of fucked that it can't clearly tell when audio is coming from the TV/sound system Vs. Real Life, and, at that, I thought it could differentiate my voice from yours? Otherwise of course it will be annoying.

confideration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By confideration

I don't think it's voice... I think it has something to do with the controller and the connect thinking it's being smart about "oh... the player is back I'll unpause"

There are some issues that need shaking out that's for sure.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Barrock

I don't think it's voice... I think it has something to do with the controller and the connect thinking it's being smart about "oh... the player is back I'll unpause"

There are some issues that need shaking out that's for sure.

Yeah I'm really confused because Xbox commercials will come on TV where they say Xbox numerous times. But a pan banging in the kitchen seems to unpause the game. I also noticed when my girlfriend stood and left the room Dead Rising 3 went to the Home screen. When I opened it back up it had to reopen it. I don't know if it was a weird coincidence that it crashed at that exact time or the Xbox was being super weird.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@mb said:

@deanoxd said:

Man, me too. I can't wait to start screwing with my friends when they start buying Xbones.

GAH, this makes me wish answering machines where still a thing! Call up someones house and screw with there xbone while they are out!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.