Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

What do YOU think of the DRM-free Xbox One now?

• 137 results
    boj4ngles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

I think it still has a camera that monitors my heartbeat and has been patented to collect consumer data.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@mandude said:

I feel like it's more expensive and less powerful than the PS4.

I also feel like I can't trust Microsoft to know what the fuck they're doing.

This is exactly how I feel. Short and simple.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Oh man the drama! I eat this stuff up!

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think it's 100$ more than its closest competitor, has lower performance specs, and comes with a camera that creeps me out.

So its something I'm still not interested in.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its great for the consumers. I'm glad pressure made them change, yes it's a dangerous precedent but its also a good one, showing that companies are willing to cave against public outrage. So it'll keep them wary of doing anything else that people would consider "bullshit".

I'm still sticking with the PS4 unless something big changes. I just dont feel like paying 100 bucks extra for Kinect which i'll NEVER use. I have to assume the extra cost of the XBO is the Kinect.

But i'm happy for everyone else. Good on Microsoft. Still, its always hard to trust a flip-flopper.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Happier and certainly more likely to buy one. But that is no guarantee.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

It makes Microsoft look like a company that doesn't know what the fuck their doing. The 'shooting from the hip' business model probably isn't a good one.

rachelepithet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

Still too expensive; camera requirement is intrusive enough but potentially dangerous given Microsft was one of the companies deeply involved in giving the govt snooping rights.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It's awesome they went back on the policies but I still prefer the direction sony is going and their support of indie devs. At least now getting one down the line for the exclusives won't be so bad.

granderojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#60  Edited By granderojo
    theduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll still buy a PS4 but will now consider a Xbox One in a couple of years. I'm still apprehensive over the Xbox One since with the 360 I felt that towards the last couple years of this gen, they haven't done much in terms of non-kinect, Halo, and Gears exclusives. I want to see what they plan for their first party studios.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I call bullshit. They never admitted any fault and still try lie their asses off. How can anyone trust this company anymore? Also this:

Finally, Whitten could not give any reassurance that Microsoft will not change its policies in the future.

SO they will wait 1 or 2 years and they will try it again.... No MS your BS talk lost me totally.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By ViciousReiven

I was going to get one anyway when the price drops next year, so yay I guess? I dunno I kinda really wanted the ability to play any game without the disc and still be able to share them, now it's only one or the other.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By shinjin977

I think they need to get rid of the kinect push price down to 399$ then they can compete with ps4.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#65  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Only exclusives on Xbox consoles I've seen are ADD duder games. I feel PS exclusives have always been more creative.

PS4

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Eh... While I can see how that would affect other people and thought it was a dumb decision that I expected would come back to bite them in the ass, it wasn't a factor in my purchasing decision.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#67  Edited By reisz

Forza 5 is back on the table, that's all I care about.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#68  Edited By Humanity

@andorski said:

@the_laughing_man said:

Can I still play without the disk?

Nope. If you bought physical, the disc will be needed. Of course if you buy digital there will be no disk to use.

MMm well thats sad. No more instant game switching. But at least you can still pause and move to another game yes?

It's safe to say most of the interesting things that came at a cost of always online are going to get ditched in the short term. So lets all enjoy our new 360's with better hardware for a few more years.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@andorski said:

@the_laughing_man said:

Nope. If you bought physical, the disc will be needed. Of course if you buy digital there will be no disk to use.

MMm well thats sad. No more instant game switching. But at least you can still pause and move to another game yes?

It's safe to say most of the interesting things that came at a cost of always online are going to get ditched in the short term. So lets all enjoy our new 360's with better hardware for a few more years.

Which interesting things? Cloud Gaming? No. They still can use dedicated server and uplaoad your AI patterns.

SargeGulp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Competition is great, parody is boring.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@darji said:

@humanity said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@andorski said:

@the_laughing_man said:

Which interesting things? Cloud Gaming? No. They still can use dedicated server and uplaoad your AI patterns.

Not needing to keep my disc in the system for one. (heh get it.. for ONE???) Anyway I was excited to see a whole new generation with new rules, the good and the bad, and a whole new way to ingest gaming media. What we are getting now with the PS4 and XBO are basically the same consoles we've had for the past 7 years only with better hardware and streaming. Those are things that I can already do much better on a PC - I wanted something different from a console.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Darji

@humanity said:

@darji said:

@humanity said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@andorski said:

@the_laughing_man said:

Not needing to keep my disc in the system for one. (heh get it.. for ONE???) Anyway I was excited to see a whole new generation with new rules, the good and the bad, and a whole new way to ingest gaming media. What we are getting now with the PS4 and XBO are basically the same consoles we've had for the past 7 years only with better hardware and streaming. Those are things that I can already do much better on a PC - I wanted something different from a console.

They can still do that. Didnt the 360 also allowed full install? Nothing of this change could them not make all this possible.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It still seems decent, but still without anything that piques my interest. As someone who doesn't buy or sell used games and almost always has a connection to the internet, the DRM wasn't a big deal.

Policies closer to parity, it comes down to the unique features and games.

All the TV and multi-tasking stuff is completely uninteresting for me, and the only actual exclusive that I might want is Sunset Overdrive. Titanfall is coming to the PC and Quantum Break probably will too, eventually.

I guess there's also having to pay an extra $100 presumably for the Kinect, something else I don't care about.

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#74  Edited By datarez

@boj4ngles said:

I think it still has a camera that monitors my heartbeat and has been patented to collect consumer data.

Loading Video...

It's this and the gold paywall value for me. In the tested.com video where they're demo'ing the new Kinect they hit a mode that's showing the player mood. So it's likely possible that the xbone is/can be doing "focus testing" on you while you play. No thank you.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's a good move for them but hasn't changed my mind about getting the PS4 instead. PS+ is rad, not that fussed about either set of exclusives, I don't want a Kinect, PS4 is cheaper and Xbox One is ugly as all hell. The used game thing was never an issue for me.

Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention but it's interesting to see people show up all of a sudden regretting the U-turn and criticising others for not being 'ready for the future' or whatever.

Plipster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now they've removed the requirement to log in every 24 hours I'm pretty much on the road to Xbox One ownership.

That was my only hangup on buying the thing.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still don't trust them, and I still don't like what I've seen of the system.

jimmy_p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By jimmy_p

1. Already have enough cameras pointing at my face

2. 100 bucks

3. Sony's better hardware

4.Who in their right mind would buy a Xbox in Europe

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#80  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Too little, too late.

The Kinect aspect still bothers me, but I can now see myself picking up an Xbox One someday--if the exclusives are too hard to stay away from--and I'm VERY happy for the physical property rights of gamers everywhere.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

MS exclusives are the reason I wasn't on board with another Xbox. That and the Kinect camera. I'm very excited for people that are going to buy one though. It's a big win consumers and while I don't think either company really cares about us, it's good to know that they are at least a little bit afraid. Pre-ordering a PS4 was a very "vote with your wallet" decision for me and I'm glad it's paying off.

LassieME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I will buy an Xbox One when I can get one without the kinect, so never.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Feh.

They missed a huge opportunity to change the gaming industry, and lead the charge into a new, digital age.

I'll stick with my custom steambox, my vita, and possibly a ps4 in the distant future.

Gravier251

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Gravier251

Well, it is still more expensive bundled with a mandatory kinect that I neither need nor want. There is no word on them reversing their stance on not allowing the self publishing of digital games either. Also Sony tend to get the more numerous, interesting exclusives if the PS3 is anything to go by. For everything else I can just get them on PC.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I would have had it not had all this baggage to start with but no..not for a year or so anyway or until they make a meaningfull price drop. I'll be picking up a PS4 and continuing to game on my 360 and WiiU, im curious about Killer Instinct, Titanfall and im sad i wont get to play Quantum Break for a while but ill have more than enough to keep me busy until then. Its too little too late from Microsoft for me personally, im glad they have lifted the restrictions for those who want to game on Xbox one, especially my friends who are loyal to that brand but i think ill live without one for a while.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure it'll make the pill easier to swallow for some of you.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Pezen

A lot of what I had against the console on a principal level is gone. Their back peddling pretending like they are in control of the situation is a bit ridiculous though. Still, I have to agree with some that the excitement of competition seems a bit more at a stalemate now. But as the crew said on the reaction video, if they can drastically change so quickly even under these last months, I am not really deciding either way until release. Who knows what they'll do next.

That said, a bit of humility from Microsoft could go a long way.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

While I was not a huge fan of the way they were implementing their always on DRM, I do think it would have been better to have one login rather than the many it will now require to play EA, Ubisoft, Activision, et cetera's games. I think Microsoft could have won hearts and minds in the long run, but I was most worried about preservation of Xbox One games. Hopefully, this change will make them easier to play in the distant future.

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's better for the consumers and will be good for competition, but I still got my PS4 pre-order and have no plans of changing it any time soon :)

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting a PS4.

Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just can't separate the Xbox 1 from the assholes that are involved with it. Don matrick , phil spencer and Major nelson just seem so smug, and puts me right off of the XBONE.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm more excited for it now, but I've still yet to see a reason why this console is for me. For now my PS4 preorder still stands.

antime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Xbox One is not DRM-free.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:

I think they ignored all the feedback they got for months and didn't change their minds until they saw their pre order numbers and compared them with the numbers the PS4 was reported to have.

This is it. They don't care about you or your feedback. They do care if you won't drop money on their product though, that's when they backpeddle and try to play the good guy angle like they're doing it because they care. In reality they are just money grabbing bastards. Still never buying an Xbox One.

I'd also bet money while they've backtracked on all these implementations for now, they'll still try to start implementing them later on in the consoles life cycle when everybodys already onboard.

Because other companies care so much about you personally right?

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antime said:

The Xbox One is not DRM-free.

yeah. semantics, but DRM is all over the 360, so to say the xb1 is without DRM is wrong.

Avatar image for 23r23d23r23423r23r
    23r23d23er23r234f2f2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Relief! I'll probably get one sooner than I originally intended to now.

Will be the first Xbox I've owned, bring on Halo!

The PS4 being cheaper means I'll definitely get that first though.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bummer, I was was way more interested then the potential results then the actual xbox.

Which brings me to my answer.. not really.

SuperCycle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By SuperCycle

The online stuff never really bothered me. I'd actually prefer to go completely digital next time around. My main problem with the new Xbox was that it seems to be focusing on a whole bunch of features that I'll never use. I'm not a sports guy, so fantasy football is out. I haven't had cable television in years, I've relied mostly on Netflix so the live television stuff is useless to me. I've never been a huge fan of motion controls so I don't have an interest in the new kinect. I'm not even sure if the new Xbox will run without the kinect set up on it, and if I had the option Kinect would sit in my closet for the consoles lifecycle.

For me I don't think I'll buy either right at launch. I'm going to wait and see what people think of the new consoles when they are out, and see how the games look after next years e3.

SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@geirr said:

I'm sure it'll make the pill easier to swallow for some of you.

Don't worry, it's a suppository.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is still a lot of small print in Microsoft contract. I am waiting a few months after release to decide if I buy one, to see if they iron out the details...

To be fair, its the same thing I will do with the PS4. I don't think being an early adopter of any new technology is a good idea.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.