what does microsoft do next?

#1 Posted by BoFooQ (695 posts) -

So now that sony has made the first move today in the next-gen (fuck wiiU) how does microsoft respond? How long do they wait? Will they come out before E3? Will they have their own event similar to today's sony show? Most importantly what will they talk about and show off?

Does anyone what to hear anything about kinect? If their hardware isn't as good as sony's it almost impossible for them to come out and talk about it. If they put a bluray drive in, which I think they will, I don't think they'll want to talk about that either. Like sony they'll come out and say their online experince is the best and offer everything no one really uses.

Lastly, Games,

Halo? Gears? Destiny? how about whore of the orient? I figure call of duty will be there and they talk exclusives again. Of course there will be some driving game probably Forza 720. what else? GTA AC fifa madden

about the only thing that would really win me over is Batman Batman Batman

what's your thoughts

#2 Edited by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Halo X Gears of War

#3 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Kinect 2, Gears and Halo. The usual thing.

#4 Posted by zFUBARz (636 posts) -

Teaser before E3, full on announcement at the show.

#5 Posted by Daveyo520 (6864 posts) -

Well that used games rumor needs to not be true and somehow better specs.

#6 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4236 posts) -

Final Fantasy VII Remake. Or Halo Mobile.

#7 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2489 posts) -

I sincerely hope they take a note from Sony's book and announce some new IP's, it'd be super anti-climactic if their console release was just more call of duty and madden.

#8 Posted by VoidProd (106 posts) -

Well that used games rumor needs to not be true and somehow better specs.

Especially now that Sony has confirmed used games will be not be blocked on PS4. Linky

Not that it would affect me in any way, but I know alot of people would not be happy. Also; Gamestop

#9 Posted by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -

Just show games, i think they got LITERALLY EVER STREAMING SERVICE. I think they'll state that multitasking is available so like Windows 8 apps run in the background and you can resume instantly. AND GAMES GAMES GAMES.

RARE has something

Remedy (Alan Wake 2) has something

Call Of Duty Exclusives again

XBLA Titles but "Next Gen"

Half Life 3 ????

who knows.............

#10 Posted by bassman2112 (844 posts) -

Honestly? I think if they spend too much time hyping up the Kinect, and SmartGlass, they've already misstepped. I think the reason Sony had success with their reveal was because they glossed over the gimmicky bits, and focused heavily on both the user experience and games. I think Microsoft should try to do the same =)

#11 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -
#12 Edited by awesomeusername (4219 posts) -

Shit themselves?

Edit: Talk about more apps and ads? What do I look like!? A psychic?!

#13 Posted by Vinny_Says (5719 posts) -

They will have a game called knick.

BOOOOOOOM

Maybe they'll have instant streaming demos as well, I mean maybe that's the logical future. The hell do I know?

#14 Posted by BoFooQ (695 posts) -

one of the only things that sounded good so far, alan wake. Also I forgot about smartglass, 20 minute talk about smart glass and kinect sounds like alot of fun. than all kinds of window 8 stuff, that I can't stand, even though windows 8 runs great I just hate all the panels.

Is it better for microsoft to get get a say or show something soon? how long do they want to leave sony in the spotlight?

#15 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2497 posts) -

I sincerely hope they take a note from Sony's book and announce some new IP's, it'd be super anti-climactic if their console release was just more call of duty and madden.

They've got a new studio in Vancouver that is apparently working on Microsoft's Next huge IP. Safe bet that will debut on the next system.

#17 Posted by FFFFFFF (75 posts) -

Since a lot of the PS4 rumors turned out to be true, you could go back and try to find xbox rumors from the same site/source.

#18 Posted by chrissedoff (2153 posts) -

Even if Microsoft doesn't outdo Sony's event, I think it's crazy to think they'll fall flat on their face and have nothing interesting to show. I think they will lean just as heavily on new IPs as Sony did and I also think more time will be devoted to Kinect 2.0 than Sony spent on any the Dual Shock 4 and Move. That could end up being stupid or totally cool. I'm going to guess 60/40 stupid to cool. I thought I heard rumors that Microsoft would have a press event in March, but I guess I might have imagined it.

#19 Posted by mellotronrules (1223 posts) -

They will have a game called knick.

EX-CELLENT.

#20 Posted by ajamafalous (12040 posts) -

If nothing else they better come out swinging; Sony had about as good of a press conference as you can have. The only thing I can think of that they didn't do was announce a price/date for the PS4, but I think that was a smart decision. Let people get hyped about the system before immediately deflating them with a price they think is too high.

If Microsoft has another E3 press conference like their last 2-3 (how long has Kinect been around?), then they've already fucked up.

#21 Posted by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -

• Cheaper than the PS4
  • Transferred XBLA library with increased 'Indie' dev support
  • 360 controllers work with the new console
  • XBL Entertainment - Cheaper than XBL Gold but no MP access just access to Netflix etc.
  • Showing what the MS studios have been working on, show those 3-4 new IP's they are rumoured to be working on.
  • EA showing solid IP's like FIFA, Madden and the new ME game
  • Activision showing what Respawn are working on
  • Kinect being more than a gimmick
  • GTA V launch title with a launch date before the PS4

They need to do the first 4-5 points for me, I've been with Xbox for nearly 10 years now but Sony really tempted me last night.

#22 Edited by mellotronrules (1223 posts) -

• Cheaper than the PS4
  • XBL Entertainment - Cheaper than XBL Gold but no MP access just access to Netflix etc.
  • Showing what the MS studios have been working on, show those 3-4 new IP's they are rumoured to be working on.

They need to do the first 4-5 points for me, I've been with Xbox for nearly 10 years now but Sony really tempted me last night.

i agree with all of your points except the third from the bottom- you do realize what went down between activision and respawn, right?

#23 Edited by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -

@mellotronrules: Bah, I forgot which publisher they were with. I guess EA to show what Respawn are working on then.

#24 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Primarily, the rumour about them having four new IP's to show needs to be true. They can't come out here and show nothing but Halo or Gears. I think they're going to have very similar tech to what we saw the PS4 doing, though likely with a much bigger focus on the Kinect motions and they need to be as smart as Sony were and not devote a lot of time to that stuff.

While I think Kinect could be useful for UI stuff and minimal features in games, people are over the gimmicky crap and don't want to see 20 minutes of "wow, our new kinect stuff is totally rad!"

#25 Posted by Ares42 (2731 posts) -

With Sony pretty much placing themselves square in the middle of being a "games first console" I fear more than ever that MS will try to distinguish themselves by being the "entertainment console". If they do I wouldn't be surprised if they end up being the more profitable of the two, but it will be by capturing a new audience rather than fighting Sony for the existing audience.

#26 Edited by Winternet (8025 posts) -

Here's the new Xbox, it's called Kinect 2. It plays all of your sports events, tv shows and movies. Games? What are those?

#27 Posted by zFUBARz (636 posts) -

New IP's are a must.

Something they could do that would be great would be a unified app store finally so that games I buy on XBLA are also good on my windows 8 machine. that sort of stuff would be great

#28 Edited by BlatantNinja23 (930 posts) -

@bassman2112: Microsoft will focus on user experience, I think that's pretty much guaranteed. They'll want to prove to you though why Kinect 2 is worth it and why they are all shipping with them. Voice is also going to be a huge thing they will talk about with the overall experience. Voice will be a thing that's in PS4 titles because of the mic in the new eye toy (they mention it in the press release), but I don't think it'll be as much of a system wide function as with the new xbox, or even as with it was in the 360. It wasn't worth Sony showing the new Eyetoy beyond what it does with move, because it simply isn't at the level as what kinect is. It won't be as impressive as kinect so why show it?

They'll tease a new Halo. Forza 5 (or subtitled) will probably be the sequel focus. Rare has to be working on something. They'll focus on how XBLA works and how they've probably changed apps in general. Smartglass will be huge.

I do think they would be smart to do an separate event in which they can talk about the console it's over all experience first, which than leaves E3 open to be games and games and games.

I think it'd be pretty killer if every XBLA title also worked in Windows 8. Shared saves and all.

#29 Edited by phantomzxro (1578 posts) -

@mellotronrules said:

@extreme_popcorn said:

• Cheaper than the PS4

i agree with all of your points except the third from the bottom- you do realize what went down between activision and respawn, right?

Really? The one i don't agree with is XBL Entertainment. It's already dumb that you pay for gold to use netflix which you already pay for. So to have a service where you pay into just to have access while its "free access" elsewhere seems really dumb and down right shady in my eyes.

I say have XBL play where you just get online play for cheaper and if you want all the other features you upgrade to gold.

#30 Posted by LikeaSsur (1565 posts) -

Women will make up a majority of the presentation.

#31 Posted by BoFooQ (695 posts) -

there are some interesting points:

xbox can't come out and claim they are cheaper till sony puts out price, unless they straight say their system is weak. Saying you can use the same controllers as before shows that your controller is the dominate one, but you can't spend to much time talking about how somehting didn't change. I still don't believe the back catalog is important or will actually happen.

Big positives are: kinect and voice talk, ease of use on the all funtions. Also windows 8 and your other windows 8 systems all work together with smart glass and shared apps. I'm thinking larger co-op and multiplayer numbers on everything, like playing call of duty with 30 poeple at a tiem.

and games, 4 new IPs would be great and some kind of gears halo trailers

#32 Posted by DarthOrange (3869 posts) -

Sony's conference left me satisfied and completely hyped and ready to pick up day one..

If Microsoft wants my attention they will show Alan Wake, at least one neat looking new IP, and maybe bring out David Jaffe, Insomniac, Superbot Entertainment, Eat, Sleep, Play or Lightbox Interactive and have them announce an exclusive Xbox game just as a way of saying fuck you to Sony for getting Jonathan Blow and Bungie.

#33 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3196 posts) -

Honestly? I think if they spend too much time hyping up the Kinect, and SmartGlass, they've already misstepped. I think the reason Sony had success with their reveal was because they glossed over the gimmicky bits, and focused heavily on both the user experience and games. I think Microsoft should try to do the same =)

I was pleasantly surprised that there wasn't a bunch of bullshit with Move or anything. Just games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.