What is Happening? It's called Enforcement United.....

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by spraynardtatum (3493 posts) -

I thought Microsoft had all their worst decisions behind them until I saw this.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/02/xbox-launches-new-community-moderation-program?abthid=51fb1e66720402f96400002c

I'm having a hard time putting this into words....

Get xp for being a tattle tail.

Microsoft has lost their marbles. I find this to be insulting. Goodbye and good riddance Microsoft. Forever.

Will people actually buy into this nonsense? This is using their customer base to do what employees should be doing and paying them in imaginary points. I am appalled.

I guess I am just 100% not the kind of person that Microsoft is targeting too. I hate this.

I don't want to think that there are people that would respond positively to this. It makes me want to crawl out of my skin.

I know I'm being melodramatic but I am in a state of complete shock. Sorry... What the fuck.....

#2 Edited by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

I wouldn't defend this until I fully understand it. Of course, I wouldn't attack it, either.

EDIT: Read the article, watched the video. I think this sounds like a pretty good system. If they're tossing some minor rewards your way for helping reduce the number of jerks on Xbox Live, I don't really see a downside. It takes literally seconds to report someone. What are we supposed to be outraged about, again?

#3 Edited by TheHT (11664 posts) -

I'd like to this is completely fuck things up. If your name isn't offensive, you gon get flagged.

#4 Posted by OGinOR (325 posts) -

What's so wrong with asking a community to help police itself? We're talking about watching over 46+ million people here...you can't have paid eyes in every match.

#5 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

EXP in what sense? What's it going toward?

#6 Posted by Zeik (2652 posts) -

Of all the dumb things they've tried to do with the Xbox One...that's pretty low on the list.

#8 Posted by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

EXP in what sense? What's it going toward?

They haven't really said- other than some level progress associated with your gamertag. I assume there will be some kind of cosmetic avatar rewards or maybe some store coupons or something eventually. Even if it is just a meaningless number- people are still into that shit, I mean, until recently we had a pretty similar leveling system on Giantbomb.

#9 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@chaser324 Can we have this closed and I will open another without the blatant hate in the OP for MS as a company?

#10 Edited by spraynardtatum (3493 posts) -
#11 Posted by xyzygy (10062 posts) -

I really don't see what the issue is. If your name is offensive and stupid, then you're being an idiot by choosing a dumbass name in the first place, and if you're being an ass to someone, they will obviously need evidence. It's really not as dire as you're making it seem. In fact it's not dire at all, I think it sounds neat. It all goes towards improvement.

#12 Posted by Aetheldod (3681 posts) -

Mmmmmmhhh .... self policing is good and all but rewarding it ... seems like a recepy for trolling and cheap/petty vengance for anything. I dunno you will have tell me tho , not getting an xbone anyway.

#13 Posted by spraynardtatum (3493 posts) -

Buy an Xbox One and join the police squad. Oh my god....

#14 Edited by BigJeffrey (5140 posts) -

So basically a flagging system, like on forums?

#15 Posted by ottoman673 (558 posts) -

It's giving a previously existing system an incentive.

What's wrong with that?

#16 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

@chaser324 Can we have this closed and I will open another without the blatant hate in the OP for MS as a company?

LOL!

#17 Posted by supamon (1334 posts) -

Flagged!

#18 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

So basically a flagging system like on forums?

What's wrong with that?

Its not. The reason so many people did not report on 360 is because WHY should they? Here it seems " Hey you help out the community we help you" So now there is a bit of a incentive.

OP has a long history of hating MS starting with his tin foil hat stuff and Kinect.

#19 Edited by falserelic (5480 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

@ottoman673 said:

What's wrong with that?

Its not. The reason so many people did not report on 360 is because WHY should they? Here it seems " Hey you help out the community we help you" So now there is a bit of a incentive.

OP has a long history of hating MS starting with his tin foil hat stuff and Kinect.

But can't some people might abuse the system in someway?

#20 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@the_laughing_man said:

@bigjeffrey said:

@ottoman673 said:

What's wrong with that?

I am sure it wont be a one strike your out rule. I wanna say that the ambassadors or someone else will get to see it before your kicked down.

That or lets say your offensive name is reported. I am sure someone will have to hit the button to ban the account.

#21 Posted by TooWalrus (13255 posts) -

@aetheldod said:

Mmmmmmhhh .... self policing is good and all but rewarding it ... seems like a recepy for trolling and cheap/petty vengance for anything. I dunno you will have tell me tho , not getting an xbone anyway.

They specify that they'll need multiple reports at the same time before any actions are taken- one person getting pissed and reporting another player isn't going to achieve anything. Also, if you've got a big enough group of friends who will report a player for no reason NOW, you can already get their account temporarily locked now, so nothing gets worse in that respect. This system sounds like an improvement- I'm with @the_laughing_man, we should lock this, @spraynardtatum is trying to start a riot over nothing.

#22 Posted by spraynardtatum (3493 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

@ottoman673 said:

What's wrong with that?

Fine....I love being policed already.....

#23 Posted by spraynardtatum (3493 posts) -

I'm not trying to start a riot. I am just truly upset.

#24 Edited by steelerzfan101 (277 posts) -

I don't see the problem at all! Xbox Live tends to be filled with a lot of jerks, so this is a way to get rid of them pretty quickly.

#25 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@aetheldod said:

They specify that they'll need multiple reports at the same time before any actions are taken- one person getting pissed and reporting another player isn't going to achieve anything. Also, if you've got a big enough group of friends who will report a player for no reason NOW, you can already get their account temporarily locked now, so nothing gets worse in that respect. This system sounds like an improvement- I'm with @the_laughing_man, we should lock this, @spraynardtatum is trying to start a riot over nothing.

I think the prizes will help. Before now people only reported people who made them mad or was like "screw it" But now I can be like "That dude healed me the entire match" Go up vote him and get some goodies as well.

#26 Posted by falserelic (5480 posts) -

@falserelic said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@bigjeffrey said:

@ottoman673 said:

What's wrong with that?

I am sure it wont be a one strike your out rule. I wanna say that the ambassadors or someone else will get to see it before your kicked down.

That or lets say your offensive name is reported. I am sure someone will have to hit the button to ban the account.

Well see how the system works out, hopefully it doesn't backfire on them. The only thing I could imagine is Microsoft losing abunch of users, all because people kept getting ban by other people.

#27 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@the_laughing_man said:

@falserelic said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@bigjeffrey said:

@ottoman673 said:

What's wrong with that?

Well see how the system works out, hopefully it doesn't backfire on them. The only thing I could imagine is Microsoft losing abunch of users, all because people kept getting ban by other people.

Like stated above its not one or two reports.

#28 Posted by spraynardtatum (3493 posts) -

@toowalrus said:

@aetheldod said:

I think the prizes will help. Before now people only reported people who made them mad or was like "screw it" But now I can be like "That dude healed me the entire match" Go up vote him and get some goodies as well.

I'm sorry I just find the entire think completely unappealing and shocking.

I find it even more shocking that people like this.

Is trolling really this bad? Are people unable to find their mute buttons? I always thought that was enough and even enjoyed sparing with and making examples of racists and homophobes. It seems like with the new reputation system and this Enforcement United program they're just going to be eradicated. Sterilizing online gaming because people are afraid that they're going to hear curse words.

I don't like the idea of everyone just playing with like minded people.

#29 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@spraynardtatum said:

@the_laughing_man said:

@toowalrus said:

@aetheldod said:

Is trolling really this bad? Are people unable to find their mute buttons? I always thought that was enough and even enjoyed sparing with and making examples of racists and homophobes. It seems like with the new reputation system and this Enforcement United program they're just going to be eradicated. Sterilizing online gaming because people are afraid that they're going to hear curse words.

Or its like Ryan said a long time ago" REPERCUSSION FOR YOUR ONLINE BULLSHIT"

I work most of the day and I should not have to deal with idiots screaming and slinging slurs because they got killed. Look at what happened with the COD people after the recent tweeks. DEATH THREATS"

If they can get their little gamertags banned maybe they will learn they need to chill the hell out.

#30 Posted by BigJeffrey (5140 posts) -

@the_laughing_man said:

@toowalrus said:

@aetheldod said:

People love being told that their mom got raped, yup.

#31 Posted by JayEH (538 posts) -

I don't get what's the big deal here. People need to stop finding reasons to complain over the XONE. If Sony did this would you complain?

#32 Posted by spraynardtatum (3493 posts) -
@jayeh said:

I don't get what's the big deal here. People need to stop finding reasons to complain over the XONE. If Sony did this would you complain?

yes.

#33 Posted by Syed117 (392 posts) -

The cycle continues.

This is obviously something to be outraged about. I can't believe this! After all those years of reporting players not doing anything, they are finally trying to create a system that makes online play more civil. Damn you Microsoft. Damn you to hell. How dare you try to make the online experience better!

#34 Posted by spraynardtatum (3493 posts) -

This just reminds me of the Stanford Prison experiment.

http://psychology.about.com/od/classicpsychologystudies/a/stanford-prison-experiment.htm

#35 Posted by Zeik (2652 posts) -

The more I hear you talk the more ridiculous your outrage seems. You've somehow equated punishing assholes spouting offensive speech with sterilizing the population of anyone that doesn't think one specific way. Can you not see the huge leap you're making there and how ridiculous it is?

#36 Edited by EXTomar (4916 posts) -

I am not going to speak for others but I've harped on this system because others have tried to use it and failed. When you are asking the user to manage the user base it rarely works out no matter how many carrots and sticks are passed around.

#37 Edited by Zeik (2652 posts) -

This just reminds me of the Stanford Prison experiment.

http://psychology.about.com/od/classicpsychologystudies/a/stanford-prison-experiment.htm

Okay, you're trolling. I get it.

#38 Edited by Tarsier (1076 posts) -

agree with OP 100%. sheep be damned.

#39 Edited by Irvandus (2885 posts) -

Can we please have another thread of this where we can actually have a discussion?

#40 Posted by Levio (1785 posts) -

You nooblets are gonna get pwned, I'm a level 17 ambassador with epic-level Boots of Justice for stomping out the creeps and cheats.

(Vote me for Community Manager or I'll corpse camp you)

#41 Posted by spraynardtatum (3493 posts) -

@zeik:

I could be completely out of my mind. I definitely seem to be in the minority here. I just find this to be wrong. I don't like the idea of playing video games with tons of "cops". I don't know. It just seems outrageous to me.

I can fully see that I'm coming off as a lunatic and I am not defending people for saying horrible things. I am just truly concerned about what this means. I am a civil player. I treat others with respect and hope everyone else will treat me with respect.

Maybe it's because I find it more productive and beneficial to address these morons on a human level. This feels cold and vindictive and for personal benefit rather than an actual solution to the problem.

To be honest, I don't even know what about this caused me to have this reaction but it doesn't sit well with me at all.

#42 Edited by spraynardtatum (3493 posts) -

@zeik: I'm not trolling. I promise these are honest feelings. This is me acting as a human being.

#43 Edited by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

This is actually a wonderful idea. Online gaming communities are complete cesspools of jerks and assholes who like to bully other users and incite reactions. If this does anything to get rid of all the jerks spamming rape references, racial slurs, and murder threats then I'd say its a success.

Also the article mostly talks about just policing offensive gamertags like niggerjewfucker69.

#44 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

This is actually a wonderful idea. Online gaming communities are complete cesspools of jerks and assholes who like to bully other users and incite reactions. If this does anything to get rid of all the jerks spamming rape references, racial slurs, and murder threats then I'd say its a success.

Also the article mostly talks about just policing offensive gamertags like niggerjewfucker69.

So its more or less the same as our Image modding. AKA you bored? Check these random gamertags for being offensive.

#45 Edited by Zeik (2652 posts) -

@spraynardtatum: I think the problem is you're trying to equate this with some kind of police state crap instead of looking at it like the more reasonable comparison of forum moderators. It's not like these people even have full reign to just ban people on the spot.

#46 Posted by golguin (4008 posts) -

I thought that snitches get stitches?

#47 Edited by spraynardtatum (3493 posts) -

@davidwitten22: Are they really though? I feel like I have a lot of wonderful times when I play online. I don't think things are as bad as people are making them out to be. I think the racist homophobes are the outliers. Don't pay attention to them. That's all they want.

#48 Edited by spraynardtatum (3493 posts) -

@zeik said:

@spraynardtatum: I think the problem is you're trying to equate this with some kind of police state crap instead of looking at it like the more reasonable comparison of forum moderators. It's not like these people even have full reign to just ban people on the spot.

I don't think this is police state crap. I think this is video game crap and big steaming crap at that.

#49 Posted by Zeik (2652 posts) -

@spraynardtatum: And yet you're trying to compare this to the Stanford Prison Experiment.

#50 Edited by spraynardtatum (3493 posts) -

@zeik said:

@spraynardtatum: And yet you're trying to compare this to the Stanford Prison Experiment.

Tell me how the Stanford prison experiment is about a police state? Actually don't, because it isn't and that's not why I think this is similar.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.