What Xbox thinks: recent Xbone Buyers and Titanfall Free

• 69 results
#1 Edited by DrSwank (442 posts) -

After purchasing an Xbox One a mere two weeks ago and learning about free Titanfall Bundle on March 11, I was frustrated. On Twitter today, Xbox Support shared this tweet with a fellow recent console purchaser:

KWade85: @Xbox @XboxSupport any way to make this retroactive? Just bought my Xbox 2 weeks ago solely to play the beta. Would really appreciate a code

Xbox Support: @KWade85 We don't have any info on that. Your retailer could possibly have some price match or exchange abilities.ZE

See here: pic.twitter.com/6qO17BY483

After this, I called Xbox One support and spoke with a supervisor, quoted as saying "It's above my pay-grade. If it were up to me, I'd give you a rain-check [for a free copy of Titanfall], but you'll have to contact corporate. I can't give you the number though."

Another user on Twitter sums it up beautifully, Chuck writes:

"I'm glad I bought an Xbox One at launch so I could beta test it for new buyers who now get a functional console & a free copy of Titanfall."

https://twitter.com/SmarmyJerkface/status/438397586307682304

#2 Edited by Humanity (9825 posts) -

It's a promotion that hasn't even started yet. I get that it sucks if you just got the console but these things are usually not retroactive.

If you bought a game on Steam a week before the big sales and then learned it's 75% when the sale hit I don't think they would give you that money back. Then again who knows Steam is very eager to please.

#3 Posted by Chaser324 (6715 posts) -

I realize that it kinda sucks, but it's pretty unrealistic to expect this to be retroactive. This is just the reality of buying a console at launch - you're paying a premium to be first and not have any games to play. Price drops and bundles are going to sting a little, but you just have to take that in stride.

Also, please don't use GB to promote your Reddit post.

#4 Posted by DrSwank (442 posts) -

@chaser324: so, if you're xbox, you'd advocate the customer just return the console if you're still in the return window, to then purchase the bundled version?

#5 Posted by Stilblad (89 posts) -

This is the entire reason to not purchase until there is some compelling reason to purchase a launch console. I have been burned before by this kind of thing but you just have to accept it as bad timing of the purchase and move on.

#6 Edited by laserguy (452 posts) -

This is why I havent bought an xbox yet, I know its getting a price drop, I know Titanfall is bundled, they are going to drop Kinect. The UK is already getting price drops. Return the system and buy the game bundle. Titanfall is a 40GB download, good luck with that.

#7 Posted by Pezen (1656 posts) -

@drewmaw: So how far before and after a promotion should they continue to give people free stuff? In your example, one would be eligable at least a month and a half prior. How many Titanfall sales do you think they would stand to lose if the promotion suddenly applied outside of the bundle for X amount of time? And at what point does that become a questionable request?

#8 Edited by Chaser324 (6715 posts) -
@drewmaw said:

@chaser324: so, if you're xbox, you'd advocate the customer just return the console if you're still in the return window, to then purchase the bundled version?

If your purchase is recent enough and your retailer of choice will accept the return of an opened and working piece of hardware, then sure, that sounds like a great idea. Otherwise, you just have to chalk it up to poor timing and move on. I know it sucks, but sometimes in life you just get unlucky.

#9 Posted by believer258 (12078 posts) -

Return the console, get your money back, and wait for the Titanfall bundle to come out?

Sorry, duder. This stuff kinda happens.

#10 Edited by joshwent (2323 posts) -

@drewmaw: Do you think everyone who bought an XOne two weeks ago should also get Titanfall for free? What about all those poor souls who bought one two weeks and a day ago?

You missed the sale. Move on.

#11 Posted by EXTomar (4916 posts) -

I think they should do it for the free good press. Short of that, I would think a discount for the digital version for anyone who owns an xbone before release would work just as well.

#12 Posted by CornBREDX (5797 posts) -

Sounds like more entitlement problems.

Life is like a box of chocolates- you never know which one is going to go on sale, when, or for how much. That's life. You'll live.

#13 Posted by PatODay (223 posts) -

I bought an Xbox One about two weeks ago and haven't opened it yet, I've also pre-ordered Titanfall. I probably won't bring it back and get the bundle as I would rather have everything set up and ready to play at launch instead of setting up the console and downloading updates then waiting to install the game.

#14 Posted by Deathstriker (327 posts) -

People need to stop being babies. Not talking about you specifically OP, but this stuff happens all the time in tech and entertainment... how are people not used it yet? It's even worse with cell phones. If someone saving $60 is so earth shattering, then maybe they need a cheaper hobby than gaming. No rational person should be majorly upset about it.

#15 Posted by RawknRo11a (568 posts) -

Bought my Xbox One at launch and yea it would have been cool to get Titanfall (or any game, for that matter) for free but think about this: This is a $500 dollar purchase, if an additional $60 for a game is an issue you should maybe take a little time to think through your purchases. I was pretty sure something like this would happen, but it didn't stop me. Plus, as I think someone pointed out I think the Titanfall included is a code for a digital copy. Not sure how Comcast would feel about me downloading something that big on top of all the crap I've bought on steam and the Xbox 360 sale lately...

#16 Posted by Aetheldod (3681 posts) -

You know what maturity is? Is accepting the consecuences of your actions .... you bought the system 2 weeks before this sale , man/woman up and accept your bad timing.

#17 Posted by MikkaQ (10329 posts) -

Meh, I got this last week and I'm still not too bothered. I think if you can afford to impulse buy a console to play a beta you can afford a new game.

#18 Posted by Sergio (2180 posts) -

While people buying this bundle get a free copy of Titanfall, all those people who bought the Xbox One at launch will have their Day One achievement. They can always buy the game, but no one can ever get that achievement again!

#19 Posted by Chaser324 (6715 posts) -

@sergio: The sad thing is that if I had been smart about it, I probably could've sold that Day One achievement on eBay and paid for a copy of Titanfall...

#20 Posted by BigJeffrey (5138 posts) -

wait to buy any consumer electronic if you do not want to get fed, if you did not think there would not be a titanfall related promo then idk.

#22 Posted by caesius6 (191 posts) -

@extomar said:

I think they should do it for the free good press. Short of that, I would think a discount for the digital version for anyone who owns an xbone before release would work just as well.

Sony should discount every single game for the rest of the PS4's lifespan to everyone who bought a console before those said games were released too. It would just be totally the right thing to do.

#23 Posted by ninnanuam (288 posts) -

I'm not that upset about the free copy of Titanfall, I got a copy of FIFA for free on day one after all, not that I played it, but the rumour of a price drop 3 months after launch annoys me.

If they drop the actual price of the console I would hope that they do some kind of ambassador program of something like Nintendo did with the 3DS.

#24 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

After what MS tried to pull at E3 I find it hard to sympathize with anyone who bought an XB1

#25 Posted by OurSin_360 (941 posts) -

Sell it and upgrade your pc, MS has shitty customer service man you aint getting a thing lol.

#26 Edited by Mcfart (1707 posts) -

Just get a refund. Some places (Walmart) allow 30 day refunds.

#27 Posted by LiquidPrince (16106 posts) -

I realize that it kinda sucks, but it's pretty unrealistic to expect this to be retroactive. This is just the reality of buying a console at launch - you're paying a premium to be first and not have any games to play. Price drops and bundles are going to sting a little, but you just have to take that in stride.

Also, please don't use GB to promote your Reddit post.

It's still a dick move. You don't buy a console at launch expecting that a mere three months later it receives a price cut and a copy of its most anticipated game given away for free. There's really no precedent for something like that happening this quickly in the console space. Closest thing was the 3DS price drop, and even then early adopters were offered some sort of compensation.

#28 Edited by BigBoss1911 (2524 posts) -

Micro$oft eh

#29 Edited by EXTomar (4916 posts) -

@caesius6 said:

@extomar said:

Sony should discount every single game for the rest of the PS4's lifespan to everyone who bought a console before those said games were released too. It would just be totally the right thing to do.

Because suggesting they offer one game for free meant I wanted the entire library for free, right?

Besides have you seen what Sony offers on PSN+? And you know the problems with the 3DS that caused Nintendo to immediately adjust? Because as you wrote it seems to be the totally right thing to do to get your consumers on your side. How dare I suggest the vendor do something completely friendly for gamers and consumers.

#30 Edited by SSully (4265 posts) -
@humanity said:

It's a promotion that hasn't even started yet. I get that it sucks if you just got the console but these things are usually not retroactive.

If you bought a game on Steam a week before the big sales and then learned it's 75% when the sale hit I don't think they would give you that money back. Then again who knows Steam is very eager to please.

Steam is actually really good about doing that. If you send in a ticket when the sale goes up more often then not they will give you back the difference.

#31 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1848 posts) -

@extomar said:

@caesius6 said:

@extomar said:

Because suggesting they offer one game for free meant I wanted the entire library for free, right?

Besides have you seen what Sony offers on PSN+? And you know the problems with the 3DS that caused Nintendo to immediately adjust? Because as you wrote it seems to be the totally right thing to do to get your consumers on your side. How dare I suggest the vendor do something completely friendly for gamers and consumers.

Should I get a free copy of Knack because the Japanese PS4 did?

#32 Posted by EXTomar (4916 posts) -

@extomar said:

@caesius6 said:

@extomar said:

Sure you should have. Does your stance or mine have any baring on my statement that "I think they should do it for the free good press. Short of that, I think a discount for the digital version for anyone who owns an xbone before release would work just as well"?

#33 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1848 posts) -

@extomar said:

@connerthekewlkid said:

@extomar said:

@caesius6 said:

@extomar said:

Sure you should have. Does your stance or mine have any baring on my statement that "I think they should do it for the free good press. Short of that, I think a discount for the digital version for anyone who owns an xbone before release would work just as well"?

Sure but when have companies ever given significant benefits to people who buy their console first, the whole point is to entice people who don't have one yet with extra benefits

#34 Edited by handlas (2718 posts) -

Ahhh poor customer service people. Always having to deal with people that feel entitled to everything.

#35 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I feel your pain, but sorry buying an Xbone just to play the 2-3 day Titanfall Beta was dumb. That game is so simple and familiar that there's not really a big need to get in early, it's literally Call of Duty with a bit of extra movement, and power armour.

It was obvious a Titanfall bundle was coming, albeit maybe not with an across the board price drop, but it was still likely to save you a bit of money if you waited 3 and a half weeks for the game to come out. It's the only thing Microsoft really have to claw some sales from Sony.

#36 Posted by MikeFerrari7 (211 posts) -

Bad timing, man. But honestly, there's probably nothing you can do.

#37 Posted by Vextroid (1425 posts) -

Price drops and bundles were inevitable, maybe not so soon, but you knew they were coming. Also you or anyone buying the console at that time at that price (launch or two weeks ago), obviously saw some value at having it then and there. Otherwise you wouldn't have bought it and waited for the said bundle/price drop.

#38 Edited by Quemador (169 posts) -

Well, i think is not a good idea to buy a console just to play one game. If that was the case just play it on pc, i heard the specs are not that high

#39 Edited by Roboculus92 (538 posts) -

@vextroid said:

Price drops and bundles were inevitable, maybe not so soon, but you knew they were coming. Also you or anyone buying the console at that time at that price (launch or two weeks ago), obviously saw some value at having it then and there. Otherwise you wouldn't have bought it and waited for the said bundle/price drop.

I agree.

#40 Edited by nevalis (82 posts) -

I had a similar situation with my Vita purchase in October. Basically, I got the Walking Dead bundle for $200 and 18 days later, a new bundle was released that was $180 AND came with a 8GB card. I called up Best Buy to exchange it and they said the return policy is 15 days so no luck. I tried to negotiate with the manager for store credit and/or just an even exchange without any credit but he wouldn't budge.

I was annoyed, but kept my cool and simply accepted my poor timing. Now I'm more diligent when it comes to gaming deals and it's been paying off. Just recently I was able to pick up Lumines: Electronic Symphony on the Vita for $7 when just Monday it was $26 even though I don't think it was formally announced in the big PSN sale.

#41 Posted by OtakuGamer (1277 posts) -

Tough luck is all I can say. They are not obligated to do anything and they won't.

#42 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2954 posts) -

Return the console, get your money back, and wait for the Titanfall bundle to come out?

Sorry, duder. This stuff kinda happens.

^ This

#43 Posted by Hunkulese (2832 posts) -

Don't really see the big deal. Stop worrying about someone else getting a better deal or never buy something that's not on sale. You would have bought an Xbox One and Titanfall if the bundle wasn't released so absolutely nothing had changed for you. Stop whining.

#44 Posted by Corvak (1158 posts) -

Return your Xbox One, I think you can get your money back for 30 days from most retailers.

Buy the titanfall bundle when it comes out.

#45 Posted by caesius6 (191 posts) -

@extomar said:

@caesius6 said:

@extomar said:

I was extrapolating your comment. You said they should just give everyone who bought the console before a certain game came out a discount code for said game - why, because a bundle came out? Will you expect a discount code for Infamous: SS since a bundle is being released merely 3-4 months after the core system came out?

What Sony offers on PS+ is irrelevant. Obviously MS has a different system set up that is in most ways not as enticing as what PS+ offers on the free side of games. They do plenty of friendly things for gamers and consumers, just as Sony does. Whether you choose to enjoy those friendly things is up completely up to you, but I was just pointing out that they aren't, and shouldn't, be expected to give out discount codes.

#46 Edited by SpaceInsomniac (3881 posts) -

Ooooh, a quote:

Speaking to OXM about the price drop, Xbox UK marketing director Harvey Eagle said that the company is "hugely appreciative of people that have supported us since launch. What I would say is that mainly the consoles that were bought in the run-up to launch did come with a game included, and this offer is timed to celebrate the launch of Titanfall.

"Unfortunately we can't offer a retroactive refund to people, but we thank them very much and we're hugely appreciative of them being on board since the beginning."

I don't know who I find more ridiculous, people who think that they should be given refunds and / or free copies of Titanfall, or Microsoft who claim that they "CAN'T" do that.

Can't. Can not. Physically incapable of doing so. Microsoft.

I think the word you're looking for here, Microsoft is "won't."

As in, "Sony, seeing as your console has been out three months now, will you drop the price and start including a free copy of Infamous, which will undoubtedly piss off loads of early adapters, many of whom are your most loyal customers?" "No, we won't."

With that said, and with sales what they are for the Xbox One and and PS4 respectively, it is probably the smartest move for MS. They should find someway of making it up to everyone who bought a console before this, though, even if it's not quite a free copy of Titanfall.

#47 Edited by Spoonman671 (4746 posts) -

I bought a PS3 at launch, and I think Sony should give me a free copy of every game that was ever bundled with the system.

Six. Hundred. Dollars.

#48 Posted by mems1224 (265 posts) -

When you buy a launch day console or a console close to launch you should know the risks. You aren't entitled to anything just because you can't wait for a price drop or a bundle you want.

#49 Edited by chrissedoff (2157 posts) -

@spaceinsomniac: Now that's rich. Xbox drops their price, releases a bundle, so they're pretty much Satan. Sony doesn't so obviously they're heroes. People on video game message boards are a very special breed of human, I tell ya.

#50 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

You always take risks by buying something and then 1 week later it gets cheaper. It happens to me a lot of time on steam for example. That is how it goes. Microsoft should no one give a refund at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.