Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Why is the Xbone's DRM any different than Steam?

• 157 results
    ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Steam doesn't have a camera pointed at me 24/7. Also, the constant, crazy sales help curb the lack of resale.

Bedouin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

PCs are an open platform with a high piracy rate. To have some kind of protection is out of necessity.

Consoles are a closed and controlled platform with a relatively tiny piracy rate. This is about protection for publishers from used games. Protection from something that is completely legal. People aren't distributing copies to other people, while retaining their own. It's one game, one player. The ethical and legal arguments for the blocking of used games are probably more shaky than any argument you could cook-up to use against used sales.

Many publishers have said they have no problem with used games. Activision (Call of Duty) and Take2 (GTA), as far as i know, have completely rejected 'project 10 dollar.' I think it was the CEO of T2 who said something like, 'The best way to combat used games is to make better games that people don't want to trade-in.'

For me, the piracy argument is earned and the used argument isn't.

That is an excellent point I think many are overlooking.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#153  Edited By TheHBK

It is so stupid that people come out and say they don't trust MS for this online stuff. After 10 years of Xbox Live running pretty well, I just shake my head at that. And Valve saying they will let their games be played years after release? OK, first off, it is a PC, much more open ended. Hell MMOs still live on with private servers though one would think that when WoW one day gets killed, it will still live on. But how realistic is that idea? You think the rights holders to those games would be so keep on people getting their stuff DRM free? It might not matter after a while as the Copy Rights do expire but we are still a long ways from that.

OGred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By OGred

Steam enticed users to DRM, xbox one forces it onto the consumer

- Someone from twitter

@thehbk: I think people believe microsoft, for the most part, has the infrastructure to keep the servers maintained but people don't trust microsoft with the always connected kinect and the privacy concerns that raises.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@geirr said:

Cuz steam doesn't charge you just for browsing their store (which is insane to me), nor for anything else.

Slightly off topic, but this has always irked me to no end. If I want to change say, my STEAM avatar, I can do so for free. I don't need to throw down any Space Bucks for a 100x100 PNG file.
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#158  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@kp1a268 said:

On Steam, things like not being able to give people games and needing to be online (although a lot less than once a day) are accepted without much complaint. Why is this different when it comes to a console?

I posted this in my Xbox One DRM poll, so I might as well copy/paste it here.

As for this being "just like steam," that's simply not the case. XBLA is "just like steam," not Xbox One.

XBLA titles are sold digitally, have lower prices than retail titles, CAN BE PLAYED OFFLINE, and are purchased with the understanding that the game you purchase is not a physical product that can be resold, loaned, borrowed, or given.

Xbox One titles will be sold at retail, will come on physical discs, will have retail game prices, will NOT be able to be played offline, and at first will almost certainly be purchased by many people with the mistaken idea that they are purchasing a physical product that can be resold, loaned, borrowed, or given.

All rather large differences.

OGred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nights: charging for 'GAMURPICS' is pretty shitty but i like how xbox handles usernames when compared to steam

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.