Will XBLA games I bought on 360 work on the xbox one?

#1 Posted by Genfuyung (235 posts) -

I'm not sure if this is something that changed when microsoft decided to change the system. Thanks.

#2 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11039 posts) -

No. The Xbox One is not backwards compatible with any Xbox 360 games.

HOWEVER,

They have recently said that through the power of "The Cloud," you may be able to play Xbox 360 games that are being run off-site and streamed to your Xbox One...some day. If this ever becomes reality, it will not be for a year or more, at least.

#3 Posted by Genfuyung (235 posts) -

Oh I was hoping that just applied to disc based games. Kind of crazy they wont let you just redownload all of your xbla games.

#4 Posted by JayEH (533 posts) -

@genfuyung: an XBLA game is still a Xbox 360 game. Just because its downloaded doesn't mean its different.

#5 Edited by Genfuyung (235 posts) -

Apparently I've been spoiled by Steam.

#6 Edited by Morningstar (2164 posts) -

The future is here...

#7 Posted by crusader8463 (14422 posts) -

Just another reason I refuse to ever buy digital on Consoles. They expect you to throw out your library every 4-5 years and buy a whole new one. At Least on PC there's usually some work around or some bunch of crazies out there still supporting a game long after it came out.

#8 Posted by Korwin (2866 posts) -

Nope

#9 Posted by WilliamHenry (1203 posts) -

Oh I was hoping that just applied to disc based games. Kind of crazy they wont let you just redownload all of your xbla games.

I understand why you would think that, but an XBLA game is still built to run on 360 hardware. There is no difference between a downloadable game and a disc based game other than the physical disc. They still need the same architecture to run.

#10 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

No BC means no BC. Why would you think any different just because a game was downloaded instead of on a disc?

#11 Edited by MikeydCT (565 posts) -

they are going to put out the most popular games out and resell them to you, they are already going to do it with minecraft

#12 Posted by isomeri (1280 posts) -

Just another reason I refuse to ever buy digital on Consoles. They expect you to throw out your library every 4-5 years and buy a whole new one. At Least on PC there's usually some work around or some bunch of crazies out there still supporting a game long after it came out.

Doesn't the same apply to disc games? Downloadable games will continue to work on your old Xbox 360 just as well as those disc games as far as I know.

#13 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1324 posts) -

@isomeri said:

@crusader8463 said:

Doesn't the same apply to disc games? Downloadable games will continue to work on your old Xbox 360 just as well as those disc games as far as I know.

The largest reasons for PC games working over the years isn't related to Steam directly, it's the way Windows itself handles legacy content and how much of a slave it is to it's legacy in general... XP apps still run pretty well on Windows 8 for example (I'm sure not all... but a lot).

I'm vastly less likely however to keep and run an XP box for the games that only work on there, than to hang onto an old console for some games... though honestly I don't often play games that old :S I keep them for sure... but play them? I'm too busy playing current video games or games release within the last year etc.

Who is throwing out an entire gaming library every 4-5 years? My 360 is older than that (2005 was 8 years ago right?) and those games still works perfectly fine, I am playing GTA V on it right now! I'll still prolly be playing GTA V later next year too on and off I bet... I don't have to re-buy anything like crusader implies by his choice of words.

I think it's easy to forget the actual nature of PC games on Windows and think that it's Steam that keeps those games working, Valve does some work to keep some stuff ok but there are plenty of games that don't work on newer versions of Windows and it's just as crappy feeling as if you were to try and put your copy of GUN for the 360 into your shiny new Xbox One and think it was going to work :S

#14 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

As the user above said. Windows is built on windows. If you ever try programing for Windows you know just how in efficient it is. For example. They use two different color objects that have the same data, just arranged in a different order

One for direct2d and one for Windows display.

#15 Posted by ch3burashka (5083 posts) -

Nah. People have a weird cognitive dissonance regarding the platform the game is on - if it's disc, it makes sense it wouldn't work on the XBONE, but XBLA games feel like they should.

#16 Edited by Trojan (23 posts) -

Well I mean the 360 and XBone are completely different hardware. Console games are written to work with that specific console. It's not like PC, where a PC game needs to work with 10,000 different variations of hardware and where you get new graphics drivers from your video card manufacturer all the time. So XBLA game or retail game, if it was written for the 360 then it won't work on the XBone. Same reason PS3 PSN games won't work on the PS4.

#17 Posted by earlygrab666 (42 posts) -

This is a huge let down for me since most of my 360's use consisted of XBLA games for my kids. I can understand to a certain extent that they shouldn't just port over. However I would expect Microsoft to make an effort, idk. I kinda felt like I was supporting something awesome and now I feel just as stupid buying those games as I did when I use to buy music on itunes.

for the record, my kids favorite game is castle crashers. So yes, I'm sad because I cant port my castle crashers to my Xbox1.

one last thought. A common argument for why this lack of porting is acceptable is because that's how it's been in the past. But, shouldn't we be forward thinking when discussing new tech? Shouldn't we as consumers expect more than just watching our investment monitor and sell our information to marketing firms and spamming us with ads?

#18 Edited by Chaser324 (6556 posts) -

@earlygrab666: It's not really a philosophical issue like the way you've stated it in your last thought. It's purely a technical and economic problem.

Sure, this limitation could be overcome by putting additional hardware into the console the way the initial batch of PS3 consoles did PS2 compatibility or by investing an inordinate amount of money into software emulation attempts (which might be flat out impossible). In either case though, you're significantly increasing the cost of the new hardware just for the sake of backwards compatibility, something which might be a nice to have for enthusiasts but certainly isn't a feature that moves units.

#19 Posted by sentuamessage (4 posts) -

Let's just hope not, I want my Xbox 360 layout and gaming on my Xbox 360 and my Xbox One experience of gaming with my Xbox One.

If push comes to shove why can't I just expand my 360 by hooking it to my One and using it like a HD DVD function but skip over with the cool DVR functions they are doing?

#20 Posted by believer258 (11922 posts) -

This is a huge let down for me since most of my 360's use consisted of XBLA games for my kids. I can understand to a certain extent that they shouldn't just port over. However I would expect Microsoft to make an effort, idk. I kinda felt like I was supporting something awesome and now I feel just as stupid buying those games as I did when I use to buy music on itunes.

for the record, my kids favorite game is castle crashers. So yes, I'm sad because I cant port my castle crashers to my Xbox1.

one last thought. A common argument for why this lack of porting is acceptable is because that's how it's been in the past. But, shouldn't we be forward thinking when discussing new tech? Shouldn't we as consumers expect more than just watching our investment monitor and sell our information to marketing firms and spamming us with ads?

Just in case, there's a version of Castle Crashers on Steam. I don't know how well it will run on just any PC, though.

Actually, for that matter, what's on XBLA that matters that isn't also on PC aside from Shadow Complex?

Certainly it's wrong of Microsoft to just let all of this generation's downloadable games go with no way to play them on the Xbox One, but at the very least most of the good stuff from that library is available on Steam from what I remember.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.