Xbox increases GPU from from 800 MHz to 853 MHz

• 61 results
#51 Posted by Cirdain (3099 posts) -

@extomar said:

Clearly the one that supports Occulus Rift is the one that integrates with SCIENCE.

SCIENCE!!! We'll see more cool stuff when Occulus Rift actually hits v1.0. After that it could be possible for support to happen.

I'm waiting for the occulus rift that's got a transparent screen that can block everything else out of the space apart from the arms so you could have proper interactivity.

#52 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@the_laughing_man said:

So Doom remake confirmed? Everything is the same just next gen graphics.

They announced a new version of Doom 4 was in the works back in April, I'm guessing that's still a thing, especially since Rage 2 was cancelled.

No I mean first doom.

#53 Posted by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

Nice job MS.

#54 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2498 posts) -

@krakn3dfx said:

@the_laughing_man said:

They announced a new version of Doom 4 was in the works back in April, I'm guessing that's still a thing, especially since Rage 2 was cancelled.

No I mean first doom.

I had heard at some point that Doom 4 was actually just a reboot of the original Doom, so maybe. I can't remember where I read that, might have been on this site, that was sometime last year though.

#55 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@the_laughing_man said:

@krakn3dfx said:

@the_laughing_man said:

No I mean first doom.

I had heard at some point that Doom 4 was actually just a reboot of the original Doom, so maybe. I can't remember where I read that, might have been on this site, that was sometime last year though.

That would be awesome.

#56 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3410 posts) -

@krakn3dfx: Calling the Kinect a zero button mouse with tons of latency and smiling while the audience laughs and hollers doesn't really seem like a dude-on-a-PR-leash thing to do.

#57 Posted by mellotronrules (1217 posts) -

no flops no sale.

#58 Edited by HeinzHarald (22 posts) -

This is not overclocking, it is setting the clock at an appropriate level based on finalized hardware and a lot of testing of that hardware. Quite normal.

If you don't believe they test their hardware enough it doesn't matter much if it's at 800Mhz or 853Mhz since the difference in heat will be minor.

#59 Posted by Brendan (7830 posts) -

After the amount of cooling stuff they're reportedly putting in the console to make sure red rings never happen again, I'm not surprised they went a little overboard.

#60 Posted by TheHBK (5505 posts) -

Not once has the most power console, and this is true of Handhelds, ever won a console war. Let's take a look shall we?

• Atari 2600 beat out the Fairchild Channel F, which was about 50% faster than the Atari.
  • Sega Master system had more ram, faster processor, NES kicked its ass.
  • Neo Geo was much faster than the SNES and the CPU of the Genesis was faster too. SNES won out.
  • PlayStation was the weakest of the 3, Saturn being more powerful but too complicated and N64 limited by cartridges. The PlayStation showed signs of having a hard time rendering polygons with shit shaking all the time and textures that looked terrible. But we know who won.
  • After struggling out of the gate against the Sega Dreamcast, the PlayStation 2 was able to fend off much more power systems in the GameCube and the Xbox.
  • The Xbox 360, or the Wii, but they were both not as powerful as the PS3 as proven by some beautiful games like Uncharted and the Last of Us and at points was too powerful for games on the Unreal Engine to run correctly.

So there you have it, stop worrying about specs.

#61 Edited by HouseOfBalloons (46 posts) -

@thehbk said:

Not once has the most power console, and this is true of Handhelds, ever won a console war. Let's take a look shall we?

• Atari 2600 beat out the Fairchild Channel F, which was about 50% faster than the Atari.
  • Sega Master system had more ram, faster processor, NES kicked its ass.
  • Neo Geo was much faster than the SNES and the CPU of the Genesis was faster too. SNES won out.
  • PlayStation was the weakest of the 3, Saturn being more powerful but too complicated and N64 limited by cartridges. The PlayStation showed signs of having a hard time rendering polygons with shit shaking all the time and textures that looked terrible. But we know who won.
  • After struggling out of the gate against the Sega Dreamcast, the PlayStation 2 was able to fend off much more power systems in the GameCube and the Xbox.
  • The Xbox 360, or the Wii, but they were both not as powerful as the PS3 as proven by some beautiful games like Uncharted and the Last of Us and at points was too powerful for games on the Unreal Engine to run correctly.

So there you have it, stop worrying about specs.

Unfortunately, everything is a spec war until the products are actually released.

#62 Posted by OurSin_360 (936 posts) -

I feel like Microsoft is rushing the shit out of this console, i don't think they had planned for a release this early and are scrambling because of Sony's announcements earlier this year. Rapid policy changes and core specs still not finalized, I just hope this thing doesn't explode on people

#63 Posted by Zelyre (1224 posts) -

The GPU is probably rated at X speed at Y voltage producing Z heat. In order to reduce heat, you reduce voltage. In order to maintain stability, you reduce speed. If the engineers feel comfortable with the heat level and feel that there is room to go up, they can increase the speed. The relatively minor bump in speed means they've either got a great yield allowing for higher speeds at the same voltage, or have bumped up the voltage as well.

Since we don't know what the GPU is actually rated at, we can't really call it overclocking. If 100% of the chips can do 950mhz @ 1.6v from the fab, then running it at 800 or 853 @ 1.3 or 1.35v is still running it underclocked. It's like buying a used car that was driven lightly by an elderly person; there's little wear and tear on it because components were not stressed.

I still have a Celeron 300A @ 450mhz running 24/7 as a very light weight server at my parent's house. I bought that CPU in 1998 and it's seen a total of maybe 20 minutes at its stock speed. It's not like Intel has assembly lines cranking out 4 types of Core i5s, 4 types of Core i7's, and 4 types of Core i3's. Whatever processor fails at being processor X becomes processor Y after a little laser cutting. Anyone that's overclocked an Opteron or an Athlon probably remembers taking a mechanical pencil to it to unlock the multipliers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.