Xbox One can use online check-in through your phone.

• 63 results
#1 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4230 posts) -

Xbox One gamers unable to connect their console to a broadband connection can carry out the 24 hour check-in using a mobile phone, Microsoft corporate vice-president Phil Harrison has told The Telegraph.

"We do recognise there will be these very rare edge cases where for whatever reason your internet is down," said Harrison. "In my experience internet downtime lasts for seconds or minutes. In those few occasions you don't have access to your usual broadband connection, you could tether your Xbox to your mobile phone. The 24-hour ping takes kilobytes of data."

Well, that's pretty cool. My router does disconnect every once in a while. So this would be a welcome addition. And its kilobytes. Interesting. How many kilobytes?. I guess like, who gives a fuck?. But then, I guess that's the whole point of this worry anyway.

#2 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

He's telling you to use a wifi hotspot on your smartphone to connect your xbox to the internet. It's almost as asinine of a statement as Mattrick telling you to buy a 360 if you don't like the one's always connected policies.

#3 Posted by dollster85 (20 posts) -

He's telling you to use a wifi hotspot on your smartphone to connect your xbox to the internet. It's almost as asinine of a statement as Mattrick telling you to buy a 360 if you don't like the one's always connected policies.

this

#4 Edited by OGred (196 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07 said:

Xbox One gamers unable to connect their console to a broadband connection can carry out the 24 hour check-in using a mobile phone, Microsoft corporate vice-president Phil Harrison has told The Telegraph.

"We do recognise there will be these very rare edge cases where for whatever reason your internet is down," said Harrison. "In my experience internet downtime lasts for seconds or minutes. In those few occasions you don't have access to your usual broadband connection, you could tether your Xbox to your mobile phone. The 24-hour ping takes kilobytes of data."

Oh really Phil? That's great to know, I'm glad the Xbox One will work in the vice presidents house

are these dude's that out of touch/don't care?

Surprised this wasn't talked about alongside the whole 24hr ping home part. Did I miss it? This might've been enough to stop some dudes taking to forums

#5 Edited by EVO (3919 posts) -

It's like I'm 12 all over again, calling my mum to let her know I'm ok.

#6 Edited by hollitz (1555 posts) -

It's a really stupid statement, but I guess he has to offer some kind of option.

You can't do it for free. Wireless providers charge monthly for the ability to let other devices uses your phones' internet connection. And it's not something that's enabled. So you'd have to call your provider, add the feature to your phone plan, and then set up the connection all so your Xbox could ping a server.

#7 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Would be better if they could do it via smart glass.

#8 Posted by djou (877 posts) -

Do Mattrick or Harrison actually use the devices they are trying to sell? Obviously not, or they wouldn't utter idiotic, impractical garbage like that.

#9 Edited by thetenthdoctor (291 posts) -

To play games installed on the HDD without the disc, this had to happen. At this point it's obvious people would rather get up and switch discs than have the check in (which I'd rather have, but whatever), so Microsoft needs to just switch it back. Make an announcement that Xbone is losing the ability to play without the disc, but gaining the ability to play free of check ins. Hell, it would be brilliant if they'd just remove the check in feature if the disc is in the tray, and make the online check in mandatory only in cases where the disc isn't present.

For all we know, the latter could already be true, but we just don't know it thanks to their cocked up communication on all this.

#10 Posted by shinjin977 (784 posts) -

I am sick of people talking up this shit show all digital future. It is not a future guys steam have already done it. Xbox can not usher us into a supposed "new" era of gaming that have been here for 3-4 years. You know why people on pc are so content? its not because omg all digital so great!!! its because steam offer games for dirt cheap.

I log into xbl today. You know what I saw? Ads and more advertisement for Xbox one. I log into psn today you know what i saw? An indie section highlighted in bold right next to a weekly special deal tab. You know that thing steam does? To prove my point here is the deal from both platform: http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-us/promotion/dealoftheweek

http://www.psnstores.com/2013/06/psnstores-weekly-deals-circular-11/

All I have been hearing is how forward thinking microsoft is but when i look at their respective store, it is clear which one is chasing steam and which one is chasing the app store. I love my 360 too guys but at this point in time Microsoft's pitch for the all connected all digital future is shit.

#11 Posted by darkdragonmage99 (741 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: Doesn't help me I don't own a phone and have no plans to

#12 Edited by thetenthdoctor (291 posts) -

@shinjin977:

If they could go ALL digital, a check in wouldn't be required. They're shooting themselves in the foot by adding the ability to install disc games and then play without the disc, because that weird middle ground HAS TO have measures built in to prevent one Halo 5 disc being passed around an entire college campus and installed on 300 hard drives for free.

If they can't or won't go all digital and eliminate box copies yet, they need to remove the ability to play without the disc. Make having the disc in the tray a requirement for physical copies (you know, just like it is now on the 360 and PS3). It's the only way they're going to undo this backlash.

#13 Edited by darkdragonmage99 (741 posts) -

@thetenthdoctor: @shinjin977: This all digital future of yours is a pipe dream the infrastructure simply isn't there to support it. I live in the middle of no where I have shitty internet connection that drops for hours or days on a regular basis and guess what that's over half the country and over half the world. Let alone you'd have to figure out how to get the box out to people without retail support and certain people like myself clearly don't care to not own their stuff . I'm not a minority in that by the way the vast majority of people aren't going to give up personally owned solid media that easily.

#14 Posted by shinjin977 (784 posts) -

@thetenthdoctor: That wasn't my point. My point was that sony kept everything the same yes but if they keep up these sales on the psn store why the hell would i want to buy a physical copy? I just got AC liberation for 13$, PS all star for 14$ and sound shape for 3$. That is the type of sale that is needed for customer to say "oh fuck used game sale, these things are dirt cheap." It is the steam's impulse buy effect. THIS is what is needed to usher people into an all online/digital future. Sony didn't even have any restriction in place but they make a case for me to ignore selling back my games without taking away my choices.

On one hand Microsoft put policies in place that said "hey guys we wanna be your steam of console." on the other hand they don't do anything to prove that. Then you look at sony, saying we are cool just being your old console and then go and actually act like steam. You see what I am getting at here, same goal very different approach.

#15 Posted by SomeJerk (3296 posts) -

Hey.

Hey.

You guys in the US.

How much do you have to pay your "service" "provider" for the privilege of using the tethering function?

I raise my glass to you because jesus christ.

#16 Posted by shinjin977 (784 posts) -

@darkdragonmage99: I actually don't agree with the supposed all digital future people keep telling me we are suppose to be excited for. I say fuck them for that but since they are bringing it up so much I just wanted to say, that they can have all digital future they want but that doesn't mean that physical media needs to be eliminated. It means if they want that future they need to show their customer why they would want to buy digital instead of physical, not outright ban physical because then this happens.

#17 Edited by BombcastGoldthwait (250 posts) -
@evo said:

It's like I'm 12 all over again, calling my mum to let her know I'm ok.

Exactly, and if you don't check in, you're going to get punished and no video games for you.

#18 Edited by Humanity (9566 posts) -

How is it asinine? It means that if you go to that hypothetical cottage up in the woods with your XBO you will be able to get around the authentication.

You might not agree with the 24hr check-in policy but why would you be scoffing at their attempts to give players an alternative solution for when your internet goes down? I don't really like all their check-in stuff myself and despite being a huge 360 fan I think the PS4 has me more interested as of now - but people getting angry that they're trying to give options for working with their system are nuts. Everyone needs to get off this hostile wave with Microsoft. It's their system, it's their policies and their right to manage it how they want, and it's your choice to engage in that system or not.

The XBO is designed with the idea that you're always online. It's supposed to be a multimedia hub that sits in your house, in your living room and ties all your dumb electronics together. It's not designed to be taken to fighting tournaments, to your woodland cottage or to be moved around all that much for that matter not unlike like your Blu Ray player, your surround sound system or your TV. If that is something that does not sit well with your current gaming habits, then by all means don't buy it - but please let's all start acting a bit more civil. Microsoft is not the entire gaming industry. There is no need to boycott them or loudly proclaim how they're complete idiots ruining the gaming industry for everyone. There are other choices out there if you don't want to game the way Microsoft has decided they want their audience to game.

#19 Posted by Demoskinos (15007 posts) -

So question is how long until hackers find a way to imitate that packet of data and get around the always on restrictions.

#20 Edited by EXTomar (4830 posts) -

It is the same logic Kutaragi had when he told people to get a second job for the PS3. It is a perfectly logical solution to give the answer to the question "What if my internet is not very good?" to say "use a better an internet connection" which is what tethering is doing.

Too bad this is about as reasonable as suggesting they get a second job or stay with the 360. :)

#21 Edited by rebgav (1429 posts) -

Do you live in an area with shitty internet access? Well, just tether your Xbox to your smartphone then, dummy.

And if the peasantry can't afford bread, let them eat cake.

#22 Posted by onarum (2144 posts) -

still sucks

#23 Posted by darkdragonmage99 (741 posts) -

@humanity: Yeah and that is the problem right there I'm buying a video game console to play video games not a fucking set top box if i wanted one of those I'd buy a apple tv or a boxee box

#24 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I don't have a smartphone, and there are extended periods of time when my Xbox isn't connected to the Internet. I'm still without a solution.

#25 Posted by Humanity (9566 posts) -

@humanity: Yeah and that is the problem right there I'm buying a video game console to play video games not a fucking set top box if i wanted one of those I'd buy a apple tv or a boxee box

Ok, well then don't buy it?

#26 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

So question is how long until hackers find a way to imitate that packet of data and get around the always on restrictions.

Very unlikely that it'll be cracked that way because it'll more than likely use a question and answer system using public key encryption just like internet security does. Hacking the box's firmware is far more likely and that could take away all security features.

#27 Edited by OGred (196 posts) -

@humanity said:

@devilzrule27 said:

How is it asinine? It means that if you go to that hypothetical cottage up in the woods with your XBO you will be able to get around the authentication.

You might not agree with the 24hr check-in policy but why would you be scoffing at their attempts to give players an alternative solution for when your internet goes down? I don't really like all their check-in stuff myself and despite being a huge 360 fan I think the PS4 has me more interested as of now - but people getting angry that they're trying to give options for working with their system are nuts. Everyone needs to get off this hostile wave with Microsoft. It's their system, it's their policies and their right to manage it how they want, and it's your choice to engage in that system or not.

The XBO is designed with the idea that you're always online. It's supposed to be a multimedia hub that sits in your house, in your living room and ties all your dumb electronics together. It's not designed to be taken to fighting tournaments, to your woodland cottage or to be moved around all that much for that matter not unlike like your Blu Ray player, your surround sound system or your TV. If that is something that does not sit well with your current gaming habits, then by all means don't buy it - but please let's all start acting a bit more civil. Microsoft is not the entire gaming industry. There is no need to boycott them or loudly proclaim how they're complete idiots ruining the gaming industry for everyone. There are other choices out there if you don't want to game the way Microsoft has decided they want their audience to game.

And it's my choice to spread my cheeks and shit all over their policy

Your right though, at least they have given people a workaround however clumsy and ham-fisted.

Would be better if they could do it via smart glass.

that would make this whole workaround a lot less clumsy & shitty

#28 Posted by darkdragonmage99 (741 posts) -

@humanity: Do I seem like I have any plans to do so ? The way I see it I've given Microsoft most of my spare money for the last 10+ years and they turned around and told me you don't have a good internet connection you don't own a smartphone well fuck you we don't need your money. I have every right to be angry and to treat them in kind and you are tying to tell me I don't. Fuck Microsoft fuck their DRM box and fuck anyone who thinks my angry is miss placed.

#29 Edited by Rafaelfc (1381 posts) -

It would be way better if they didn't implement this ridiculous DRM. Go fuck yourself microsoft!

#30 Edited by ThatOneDudeNick (649 posts) -

I'm not buying it right away, but not for the reasons everyone is losing their shit over. Literally zero of these issue apply to me. And I imagine most of the people freaking out on the forums about the internet thing won't lose their connection for over 24 hours. Microsoft is riding a weird middle ground that is inconvenient for some people, and they've still failed at telling us what we gain by accepting this. We should be all digital at this point. It's fine on PC. Growing pains, I guess. People are looking for something to be mad at. I just simply don't buy anything I'm uneasy about.

I don't get what the internet rage about this is. Don't like the product, don't buy it. You're not entitled to a new console on any specific date. If Microsoft's plans don't match what you want, then the product isn't for you. There's nothing left to debate at that point. The internet is full of people making the same points over any over on this. If the policies hurt their sales enough, they'll adjust them. We forget that we (people posting on internet forums) are the minority, and that people express negative feelings louder and more often than positive.

They'll still sell a ton of these and do just fine without you. Microsoft has proved that they don't care about complaints and backlash about new things (broadband only on original XBox, for example). No amount of complaints from a handful of internet users before the product even ships is going to change anything. If you care that much about XBox (you do if you're mad at all this), your best bet is to hope sales are bad enough for them to change policy. Until that happens, move on. Look at all the people that "hate" Call of Duty on internet forums. Look at how many people online "hate" any successful musician that's breaking records. Complaints on internet forums mean next to nothing in terms of sales.

I talked to my "Madden and CoD" gaming friends that play nothing else. They are unaware of any controversy and only care that they can play Madden and CoD with better graphics. There are a LOT of those people. True gamers (which I consider all of us posting on Giant Bomb comments) are the people uncomfortable with this. They'll feel it when/if lose us, but it won't break them.

*Edited typos. Did not edit for length, as you can see.*

#31 Posted by Vinny_Says (5718 posts) -

Are their policies shitty? Yes. Will they affect their sales? Probably. Are 'gamers' responsible for the xbox brand sucess? Absolutely. But at the end of the day they have made their minds and it's obvious this new product isn't for certain people.

Let me spell out microsoft's ultimate message for the new generation: If you's a poor who can't afford good internet or a smartphone, then what are you doing buying a $500 console?

There are better and more important things in the world to be angry about then what a video game company decides to do. This is capitalism, this is how it works. They crunched the numbers and decided they don't need certain people anymore to make money. This is what happens with brand loyalty; no matter how many years you've worn, driven, played, bought or consumed a certain brand, at the end of the day you're nothing more than a number to them.

#32 Posted by iAmJohn (6123 posts) -
@humanity said:

@devilzrule27 said:

You might not agree with the 24hr check-in policy but why would you be scoffing at their attempts to give players an alternative solution for when your internet goes down?

Maybe because they aren't actually offering a workaround? How is telling you that if you don't have internet, you could make your phone a wifi hotspot a solution? First off, that supposes I have a smartphone that allows me to do that. Second, that suppose I have a data plan that allows me to tether. Third, again, how is telling me that the way to fix the problem is "you should always have internet access at all times so fuck off and don't tell us that you can't authenticate" in any way workable? It's just Microsoft finding yet another way to pass the responsibility for their shitty policies onto their consumers.

#33 Posted by Aishan (1020 posts) -

I'm still yet to hear any benefit to the always-online environment for me as a consumer. Any one know of any?

#34 Posted by Ragarnok (4 posts) -

@aishan said:

I'm still yet to hear any benefit to the always-online environment for me as a consumer. Any one know of any?

Deactivating your content if your xbox is stolen is one

#35 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

@hollitz said:

It's a really stupid statement, but I guess he has to offer some kind of option.

You can't do it for free. Wireless providers charge monthly for the ability to let other devices uses your phones' internet connection. And it's not something that's enabled. So you'd have to call your provider, add the feature to your phone plan, and then set up the connection all so your Xbox could ping a server.

Not necessarily the case. I'm on T-Mobile and I've always been able to tether for free.

#36 Posted by darkdragonmage99 (741 posts) -

@vinny_says: Being able to afford good internet and be able to obtain good internet are two different things I could afford it easily but I'd have to move 100 miles or more to obtain it you people who live in the big cities are so ignorant of the state of the rest of the world it's sickening .

#37 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4415 posts) -

I really hope all of that demographic research will pay off for them (but at the same time seeing that blow up in their face would be pretty funny to watch).

#38 Edited by YukoAsho (2078 posts) -

@darkdragonmage99 said:

@vinny_says: Being able to afford good internet and be able to obtain good internet are two different things I could afford it easily but I'd have to move 100 miles or more to obtain it you people who live in the big cities are so ignorant of the state of the rest of the world it's sickening .

Not all of us. This city slicker's not going near the Xbox One.

That said, THIS is exactly why I don't listen to the Bombcast anymore. Save for Patrick, all the guys here are selfish to the point of stupidity.

#39 Edited by EXTomar (4830 posts) -

@ragarnok said:

@aishan said:

Denying someone access to games from your stolen property would seem to me to be lower priority than other things.

#40 Posted by RonGalaxy (3218 posts) -

Not everyone has phone tethering. They just keep making this worse for themselves.

#41 Edited by thetenthdoctor (291 posts) -

@aishan:

Right now if my disc gets scratched I'm boned, and can't play that game I own unless I pay to obtain another disc. With an online check it plays right from the HDD once it verifies I own the game, even if the disc is trashed.

#42 Posted by Vinny_Says (5718 posts) -

Yeah....makes you sick doesn't it that we "people" (whatever that means, you racist) only know of the existence of a 10 mile radius around our big cities. To be honest I'm surprised a hick such as yourself is actually literate....who'd a thunk?

All jokes aside, that's microsoft's message not mine. If you a poor or live in the middle of nowhere don't buy an xbox one.There hope that's better.

#43 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

@ragarnok said:

@aishan said:

You can do that currently on the PS3 and I assume on the 360.

#44 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6997 posts) -

Oh cool, another chore.

#45 Edited by aspaceinvader (257 posts) -

Fuck sake chill out everyone, you don't like what Microsoft are doing then get a ps4. Simple as that, it's not as if Microsoft is forcing you to by the xbone

#46 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5145 posts) -

@naru_joe93 said:

Not everyone has phone tethering. They just keep making this worse for themselves.

How exactly does this make it worse? At worse it just doesn't change the situation.

#47 Edited by Live2bRighteous (317 posts) -

I don't get the point of all this online activation crap. Have people been pirating consoles lately or something?

#48 Edited by isomeri (1314 posts) -
@aishan said:

Steam is nice.

#49 Posted by Chaser324 (6647 posts) -

Now that I'm thinking about it, some sort of standalone iOS/Android app that connects directly to the Xbox One and performs the authentication seems like a pretty decent workaround. It's still not going to be a 100% flawless solution, but it seems potentially much simpler than tethering.

#50 Posted by Tackchevy (264 posts) -

This just doesn't worry me in the least. My consoles are always hardwired regardless. If my internet is out for more than 24 hours for some crazy reason, I can always read a book or something, or interact with my child.

It's simple I guess- anyone that can't get internet for 24 hours regularly is just not the target market. Sucks for those people if they really, really want the product, but that's how it is. I don't hate random products on TV commercials.... If I can't see myself using something, if it wouldn't work for me, or if I have no us for it, it's because I'm not the target market. MS has a lot of people that spend a lot of time analyzing trends and consumer data, and this is what they came up with as the optimal solution for them. If that doesn't include you as a consumer.... Then to quote that guy: "get over it."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.