Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Xbox One controller to still use AA batteries anno 2013

• 129 results
    Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

@gaspower said:

@hunter5024 said:

@gaspower: I think it must depend on the quality of the battery as well, because I've had one of my dualshocks for 4 years and it still works fine, but the rechargeable pack in my 360 controller stopped working after about 4 months.

That's true as well as a lot of other variables too such as the temperature of the storage area. I'd rather be able to just replace the batteries instead of choosing the more expensive option of outright buying another controller when given the option, right?

Well I like to replace my controller every few years once the buttons get worn down anyways. But I suppose it's good to have the option of replaceable batteries.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

The play and charge kit for the wireless 360 controller was basically only useful for the cable that turned it into a wired controller that still wasn't as good as a wired controller because you couldn't just plug it into a PC.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

How terrible now that we have nuclear batteries and hydrogen cells.

What did you expect, really? At least it's not the PS3 model, where you have to trash the entire controller.

Have had the same controller that came with my PS3 since launch, have never had an issue with it. I bought one of the dual chargers for PS3 controllers, I throw it on there whenever I'm done playing, come back, and it's charged up and working.

I don't really care either way, I have rechargeable battery packs for my 360 controllers, but I think it's pretty rare that anyone would need to trash the entire PS3 controller. From what I've heard, it's pretty easy to just replace the battery in the unit yourself if it stops charging at some point, and those are like $4-5 on EBay.

Steak_Monster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

What I've learned from this thread:

Some people's DS3's batteries degraded over time, other's didn't.

We can probably move on from that now.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

WIRED 4 LIFE

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@djou said:
    @monetarydread said:

I have had to throw away two PS3 controllers. I do not want to have to throw away a controller because the non-replaceable battery died.

Plus, I am sure that Microsoft is going to sell a rechargeable battery pack for the Xbox one. Sales of peripherals were a major source of income for Microsoft in the last generation.

I often hear this point raised about the PS3 controller but I have two early PS3 and they still work fine, battery need charging every few days but this is nothing out of the norm in my life where I charge an iphone and ipad daily. I bought the second controller on sale for $30 and I've had my PS3 for eight years. In contrast I have a Xbox controller for PC and I've spent at least $40 on batteries over the last two years (a combination of regular and rechargeable). At the end of the day this feature is a minor convenience that is not in the interest of the consumer. MS is clearly cheaping out on manufacturing to keep the cost down and then offering a battery add-on.

To add to this changing the battery pack in a dual shock is not really that hard. You can order a replacement battery online for like 10 bucks and install it needing only a small screwdriver for the screws on the DS3 controller.

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Good. Don't ever have to worry about the battery pack failing and killing the entire controller.

Nikoran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Nikoran

Just buy rechargeable ones.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#109  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

@hollitz said:

The play and charge kit for the wireless 360 controller was basically only useful for the cable that turned it into a wired controller that still wasn't as good as a wired controller because you couldn't just plug it into a PC.

Exactly! Oh, and that rechargable battery thing, which I must have used hundreds of times by now.

Seriously, I don't understand why people are actually complaining about this, or the availability of another Play & Charge kit. Complete non-issue.

Bill_Rizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Bill_Rizer

@nezza said:

I'm sure they'll release some form of add on rechargeable battery pack.

It's 2013 ffs. They can spend 400 million dollar on a NFL deal and billions on r&d for a Kinect 2.0 peripheral...but not do away with the archaic use of batteries?

so dumb

zeeshanaayan07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By zeeshanaayan07

xbox is run from the battery or electric

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#112  Edited By MikkaQ

What's with the "GOD IT'S 2013 GET WITH THE TIMES" folks in this thread? I mean as far as I know batteries are still current technology, lots of shit still uses them. No one's stopping you from jamming Eneloops in that controller, and this way when those die you still have the option to put in the normal AAs you all have lying around your house.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Have I already posted about how this isn't a big deal? If I haven't: it isn't a big deal.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#114  Edited By ProfessorEss

@mikkaq said:

What's with the "GOD IT'S 2013 GET WITH THE TIMES" folks in this thread? I mean as far as I know batteries are still current technology, lots of shit still uses them. No one's stopping you from jamming Eneloops in that controller, and this way when those die you still have the option to put in the normal AAs you all have lying around your house.

Yeah I don't get it either. By allowing AAs, the XBox One controller will be using the same Eneloops that everything else in my house uses. And I bet 90% of the things I buy in the next 5-10 years will take 'em too.

...I'm currently looking at 12 extra, fully charged Eneloop AAs and 6 fully charged AAAs anxiously waiting for something to die so that they can have their time to shine :)

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stuff Still uses Batteries? I thought everything would be powered by the sun by 2013.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

Wait, what? Why is that a bad thing? I constantly have a package of AA's sitting around that I get at discount prices from Costco.

Avatar image for deactivated-59694a80bc6d9
    deactivated-59694a80bc6d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

What is the problem when you can fall back on Micro USB if your batteries are dead? Some people's set-ups might be different but i've never actually needed a wireless controller over a wired. Having a Micro USB port on the back of that thing is an improvement over the shitty proprietary play-and-charge malarkey we had this era.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Gruebacca

There's been a huge problem in the battery industry in that batteries haven't changed much in the last century. We're on the cusp of some revolutionary-ass battery tech that's going to change everything, and here's Microsoft telling you that the future lies in AA batteries.

I personally have a problem with AA batteries. They're bulky and expensive, they don't last long, and you can't just chuck them in a landfill without feeling like a douchebag. You also have to constantly remove them from whatever they're sitting in to keep them from draining energy by themselves. The few times I decide to play on my Wii, I find the batteries, freshly installed from the last time I used the Wii controller, dead on arrival. They're cumbersome, annoying, and they just fucking suck.

My two cents: I have five PS3 controllers of varying ages. Only one has had battery problems. I use the past tense because it inexplicably fixed itself. None of them have had life-draining issues. Meanwhile, the AA's in all my Wiimotes and old GameBoys go dead real fast.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By psylah

I haven't bought batteries in years. YEARS.

How can people complain about a built-in battery a la PS3 controller? Where are you gaming that you are nowhere near ANYTHING that has a USB plug, let alone ANY USB charger that can plug into a wall socket? Why aren't you plugging up the controller into anything that has a USB port (PC, laptop) when you aren't playing? Why is managing a cycle of rechargeable batteries at all times seen as a plus?

At the end of the day, plug in your phone, plug in your tablet, and if you've been using it, plug in your controller. Not that hard.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Seriously, what fucking bizarro world am I in? Nintendo ditches AA batteries and MS picks them back up?

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#121  Edited By yukoasho

@psylah said:

I haven't bought batteries in years. YEARS.

How can people complain about a built-in battery a la PS3 controller? Where are you gaming that you are nowhere near ANYTHING that has a USB plug, let alone ANY USB charger that can plug into a wall socket? Why aren't you plugging up the controller into anything that has a USB port (PC, laptop) when you aren't playing? Why is managing a cycle of rechargeable batteries at all times seen as a plus?

At the end of the day, plug in your phone, plug in your tablet, and if you've been using it, plug in your controller. Not that hard.

Built-in has its own issues. I think the best model is what we see with the Wii U Gamepad, Wii U Pro Controller and DS line. Batteries are rechargable, but can be replaced by unscrewing the back and replaced by buying a new one from Nintendo.

Avatar image for deactivated-64c89b592b282
    deactivated-64c89b592b282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 38

Friends of mine have paperweight PS3 controllers because the battery died. I bought rechargeable packs for my 360 controllers, they're all dead, long live AA.

Eneloop4lyfe son.

acer51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And M$ loses a point in the Pre-console war.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@acer51 said:

Is this even real?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#126  Edited By Seppli

@bigjeffrey said:

@acer51 said:

Is this even real?

As far as my buying decisions go, it certainly is another point I don't like about Microsoft. Microsoft's *Everything's Modular, Everything's Monetized* design paradigm is the main reason why I switched from 360 to PS3 halfway through this generation.

Every controller cost an extra 30+$ bucks for the convenience I get for free with Playstation. Every year of online play costs me another 90+$ (that's what it costed at that time). Sure - PS4 now too put online play behind the paywall, but the point about the gamepads holds true once again.

30+$ additional expense for the charge kit for each wireless gamepad? Or fiddling with recharable batteries? Or buying hundreds of dollars worth of batteries over the lifetime of the console? No thank you. Those who say internal accumulators fail, mine didn't, and I can always turn any PS3/4 gamepad into a wired controller by using the usb cable.

It's simply a matter of business ethics. Microsoft wants to monetize everything, Sony wants first to build a cohesive and elegant product.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love how Microsoft is claiming that the development of this new controller has cost them 100 million $ and then they could not even use a different solution than AA batteries^^

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OH FOR FUCK SAKE!

Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's been a huge problem in the battery industry in that batteries haven't changed much in the last century. We're on the cusp of some revolutionary-ass battery tech that's going to change everything, and here's Microsoft telling you that the future lies in AA batteries.

I personally have a problem with AA batteries. They're bulky and expensive, they don't last long, and you can't just chuck them in a landfill without feeling like a douchebag. You also have to constantly remove them from whatever they're sitting in to keep them from draining energy by themselves. The few times I decide to play on my Wii, I find the batteries, freshly installed from the last time I used the Wii controller, dead on arrival. They're cumbersome, annoying, and they just fucking suck.

My two cents: I have five PS3 controllers of varying ages. Only one has had battery problems. I use the past tense because it inexplicably fixed itself. None of them have had life-draining issues. Meanwhile, the AA's in all my Wiimotes and old GameBoys go dead real fast.

$20 at Walmart will get you 4 AA Duracell (the brand I use) batteries and a charger.

I bought 2 sets 7 years ago (according to the date stamp on my charger).

I haven't purchased AA batteries since 2007, but I use them every day, in my Xbox controller and TV remote.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

<sarcasm>Oh no! Micro$oft decided to use replaceable power source on their Xbone controllers!</sarcasm>

Microsoft's solution is extremely practical for the end user. AA-batteries are most common ones and they can be bought in any corner of the world. They are cheap. Also AA is a rare battery type in a sense that it is one of the few with good rechargeable options. Get some 2500+ milliamp batteries and you will be playing for weeks with one charge.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

At least it'll turn into a proper wired controller when using an UBS cable, just like the DualShock 3&4.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By monetarydread

I saw this video that was posted on Reddit today and I think this is valuable information. Basically Michio Kaku is talking about why batteries seem like they are not evolving at the same pace as the rest of technology.

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.