XBox One controllers working on PCs?

#1 Posted by Trylks (829 posts) -

It is possible to use XBox 360 controllers on PCs, or at least on Windows, I don't know about the compatibility with other operating systems.

Is there any information available about the possibility of using XBox One controllers on PCs?

Thank you.

#2 Edited by TruthTellah (8761 posts) -

@trylks: Yes. They have not officially confirmed it, but when asked about the controller's compatibility with the PC, they hinted that gamers would only need to look at the 360 controller's compatibility to get an idea of how things will work with the X1 controller.

So, it seems quite likely that it will indeed be supported on the PC.

#3 Posted by TruthTellah (8761 posts) -

@trylks: Specifically, the vice president of Microsoft Studios said this when asked to confirm its pc compatibility:

"We're completely wedded as a company to the success of PC... It's important to us at Microsoft. I think you can kind of fast forward on some things, and clearly, looking at what we did with 360 controllers..."

Which makes it seem likely. I imagine we may hear more at E3.

#4 Edited by Tarsier (1057 posts) -

thats great cuz so far the xbox one controller is the only thing that has me stoked about next gen consoles lol tbh

#5 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

I wonder if the use of WiFi Direct will eliminate the need for a dumb dongle. I don't use the WiFi card in my PC for anything else, so it would be neat to finally use it as an adhoc connection for peripherals.

#6 Posted by Tarsier (1057 posts) -

wait, are these things wireless only? if there isnt a wired version im boycotting the japanese and the whites.

#7 Posted by TooWalrus (13161 posts) -

I'm actually really hoping that the PS4 controllers work on PC. Not just because I prefer the DualShock, but also because they've got that touch surface on the front, and if that could be used for mouse control that would be GREAT.

#8 Posted by Andorski (5268 posts) -

@rebgav said:

I wonder if the use of WiFi Direct will eliminate the need for a dumb dongle. I don't use the WiFi card in my PC for anything else, so it would be neat to finally use it as an adhoc connection for peripherals.

Is the WiFi Direct used for controllers?

Online
#9 Posted by rebgav (1429 posts) -

@andorski said:

@rebgav said:

I wonder if the use of WiFi Direct will eliminate the need for a dumb dongle. I don't use the WiFi card in my PC for anything else, so it would be neat to finally use it as an adhoc connection for peripherals.

Is the WiFi Direct used for controllers?

Yeah, I think so. It's basically a bluetooth-like solution which allows WiFi devices to connect to each other without an access point. The question is whether the controller itself is Direct-enabled or just the console.

#10 Posted by alanm26v5 (444 posts) -

The native support of the 360 controller for many PC games, everything from never having to adjust control options to having the right button prompts on screen, was great for PC gaming this generation. I know the new conrtoller is almost completely similar in layout, but I'm fine with the controller I have and hope that both will continue to be supported in the years to come.

#11 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4338 posts) -

I'm actually really hoping that the PS4 controllers work on PC. Not just because I prefer the DualShock, but also because they've got that touch surface on the front, and if that could be used for mouse control that would be GREAT.

Not gonna lie, that sounds pretty awful. I have to wonder first how sensitive the pad is to even be a close alternative to a mouse but even then using that as a reliable means of aiming just sounds bad.

#12 Posted by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

@toowalrus said:

I'm actually really hoping that the PS4 controllers work on PC. Not just because I prefer the DualShock, but also because they've got that touch surface on the front, and if that could be used for mouse control that would be GREAT.

Not gonna lie, that sounds pretty awful. I have to wonder first how sensitive the pad is to even be a close alternative to a mouse but even then using that as a reliable means of aiming just sounds bad.

Not a means of aiming in a game; just a means of controlling the mouse cursor for menus and stuff. I already have a wireless keyboard/trackpad that does the job, but that'd be pretty damn cool anyway.

#13 Posted by TooWalrus (13161 posts) -

@colourful_hippie said:

@toowalrus said:

I'm actually really hoping that the PS4 controllers work on PC. Not just because I prefer the DualShock, but also because they've got that touch surface on the front, and if that could be used for mouse control that would be GREAT.

Not gonna lie, that sounds pretty awful. I have to wonder first how sensitive the pad is to even be a close alternative to a mouse but even then using that as a reliable means of aiming just sounds bad.

Not a means of aiming in a game; just a means of controlling the mouse cursor for menus and stuff. I already have a wireless keyboard/trackpad that does the job, but that'd be pretty damn cool anyway.

Exactly. I'd never want to play a game with it, but Steam's always updating games and popping up menus and shit, and being able to simply tap "OK" and not have to deal with a keyboard/mouse would be fantastic.

#14 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4338 posts) -
#15 Edited by PillClinton (3291 posts) -

Also, I really do hope the X1 controllers use WiFi direct, or at the very least MS makes the wireless dongles actually fucking available to give them money for this time. But regardless, I'd likely stick with a wired one anyway; sort of easier and more convenient for my personal setup (and no batteries or charging to deal with).

#16 Posted by Mjsk (3 posts) -

...they hinted that gamers would only need to look at the 360 controller's compatibility to get an idea of how things will work with the X1 controller.

I hope that doesn't mean some proprietary frequency requiring a clunky wireless dongle with a cheap fuse that is easy to blow.

#17 Posted by Syed117 (387 posts) -

Wifi direct is an easy solution because only one device has to have it for it to work. I doubt the controllers will work that way, but it would be nice. Maybe just an official software solution for PCs that makes pairing simple.

Even if that's not the case, the controller actually switches to a wired mode when you plug in a micro USB cable. You don't need batteries for it to work in that mode. A 10 or 15 foot cable is a few bucks from monoprice. I'm definetly going to have some lying around just in case.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.