Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Xbox One designed to be switched on for a total of Ten Years

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Citing "inside sources at Microsoft", the article states that the design of the Xbox One was based on a brief that bore the 10-year lifecycle in mind, in which the console would remain switched on.

As a result of the desire for the console to operate continuously for ten years, it would be required to function with adequate heat dissipation. The machine's cooling needs has produced a unit that measures 34x26x8cm and functions "almost silently".

Fan noise would only be noticeable during gaming, when the AMD processor is under duress.

Reducing game load times in the Xbox One are also listed as a key feature which Microsoft is addressing. By retaining "game states in RAM while the unit is inactive", users would allegedly be able to resume playing a game with minimal waiting time upon waking up the console.

GameSpot: Xbox One designed to be switched on for 10-year period - Report

No Caption Provided

Well I'm wondering if this thing has a 'sleep mode,' since this thing is so built like a PC and all. Nevermind, it seems to be that it does have a sleep mode. I'm psyched. :D I don't really wanna be signed in for ten years.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I think it means its designed to not have over heating issues.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

By 10 years we'll probably have a new console..

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Yeah, this really shows they are super serious about reliability and durability. I know the red ring stuff has put people off this gen but something like that really scared MS into making reliability a priority. That is why the Xb1 is so much bigger than the PS4, there is a bigger fan and the heat sink is supposed to be of better quality. I dont know how they are going to be cooling the PS4, I would be interested in noise level since it is supposed to use the same CPU but at a higher clock speed.

I don't see a slim for the xbox one coming out for another 3 years at the least. This Jaguar processor is fabricated using the 28nm process, and I haven't found any announcements or plans by AMD to us anything smaller. Intel has those plans out in the open.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry, I'm not even a console player (only own a PS3 that I never use) and even I know that literally anything they tell you about hardware is bullshit.

We all know how big the X360 and PS3 were talked up before release, and how much of a physical fuck-up the hardware actually was. I heard horror stories about the hardships it caused thousands if not millions of pre-orderers, and read about both companies struggling financially because of the fiasco that it was.

Don't believe anything these console makers tell you about the hardware's strength, they're as honest as Infinity Ward is talking about the Call of Duty innovation.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@blu3v3nom07: Yes it has a sleep mode, they mentioned it a lot during E3. This is so you can say "Xbox On" or whatever to the kinect to power it up.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I think it means its designed to not have over heating issues.

Yea, probably. I still don't see how both systems are gonna get over their soldering problem from last time. But maybe I stand corrected now that the 360E and SuperSlim see to do okay.

By 10 years we'll probably have a new console..

I'm think that they're gonna do a XONE2 and PS4.2, rather than another outright console. From I've read, the XONE is made so that you can buy another XONE version in another 5 years, with more RAM and such. Amusing rumors are still amusing, I'm sure.

@thehbk said:

Yeah, this really shows they are super serious about reliability and durability. I know the red ring stuff has put people off this gen but something like that really scared MS into making reliability a priority. That is why the Xb1 is so much bigger than the PS4, there is a bigger fan and the heat sink is supposed to be of better quality. I dont know how they are going to be cooling the PS4, I would be interested in noise level since it is supposed to use the same CPU but at a higher clock speed.

I'm glad to read about this type of stuff. I'm really considering not buying a warranty on both. MS seemed to do pretty well handling the 3 year 360 warranties at some point. I'm sure I could just exchange out with them, but it'd be nice not to get the same annoying headlines this time again.

@benny said:

@blu3v3nom07: Yes it has a sleep mode, they mentioned it a lot during E3. This is so you can say "Xbox On" or whatever to the kinect to power it up.

Well that clears that up. Like I said, I'd like to know what sleep mode is then. It'd be really nice to have this feature this time around, honestly. I'd still like for it to sign me out after a couple of minutes I put it to sleep, then.

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the gigantic fan. Never seen one so big in such a small device. The motherboard is also very large with each major component getting plenty of space in between. This is one device that would be a breeze to open up and poke around, especially for cleaning the fan.

The simplest thing I've seen since my Toshiba Satellite c655 laptop, which is also very, very well designed. Makes cleaning the fan so easy to reach. More manufacturers need to start doing this and stop freaking burying them under everything else! And should especially stop attaching them in such a way that the heatsink needs to be removed and thermal paste replaced just for taking the fan out, which is a big pain in the ass and adds unnecessary cost to a simple task.

The box itself a bit bigger than expected, but it's obvious MS built it for durability and performance this time around, not looks.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By monkeyking1969

I don't even think it is possible to run something that complex in an average home continuously for ten years. A device with a fan will eventually suck in enough dust to kill it, unless you run it in a clean room. So while they might mouth the words it can run for ten years, they have not engineered it to even run a whole year continuously.

I dare someone to run their Xbox One for a two years straight without turning it off and you must play it at least three hours per week. Furthermore, you can clean the outside as much as you want but it has to sit in the open on your entertainment center and you cannot crack the case to clean it.

What do you win if you do it? My condolences when it catches fire, and my best wishes if your family is hurt via smoke, flames, or being trampled in the escape. I am wholly convinced Xbox One or a PS4 would break or catch fire if run like that.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

"We made this overheating jetplane last time. This is not like that."

AlexGlass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't even think it is possible to run something that complex in an average home continuously for ten years. A device with a fan will eventually suck in enough dust to kill it, unless you run it in a clean room. So while they might mouth the words it can run for ten years, they have not engineered it to even run a whole year continuously.

I dare someone to run their Xbox One for a two years straight without turning it off and you must play it at least three hours per week. Furthermore, you can clean the outside as much as you want but it has to sit in the open on your entertainment center and you cannot crack the case to clean it.

What do you win if you do it? My condolences when it catches fire, and my best wishes if your family is hurt via smoke, flames, or being trampled in the escape. I am wholly convinced Xbox One or a PS4 would break or catch fire if run like that.

I run my laptops 24/7 for years but yes I usually clean the fan yearly or every 6 months but I have gone as much as 2 and a half years without opening one up. Of course mine get especially bad when you smoke or keep it in the kitchen where there's a lot of cooking taking place.

But the Xbox One certainly seems to be designed that way

. I mean this thing is designed to run 3-4 years.

No Caption Provided

And the X1's quite a big difference.

No Caption Provided

A whole lot of fan, and lots of space with a lot of ventilation.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#13  Edited By isomeri

It's great that they are putting more effort into cooling and audio pollution, but then again I do remember Microsoft talking about the same exact thing at the time of the 360 launch.

Loading Video...

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

To be fair, a 360 that red ringed could also be left on for 10 years... With those shiny red LEDs staring at you day and night.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xyzygy

This is pretty cool. I guess we don't have much to fear in terms of the hardware overheating. Makes me glad. MS learned their lesson.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

anything they tell you about hardware is bullshit.

At this point, yup.

It's not going to stop people from seeking out more information, or PR people treating to create hype and spin during the down time.

zeeshanaayan07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

xbox is the brilliant designed by microsoft. I appreciate his thinking

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.