Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Xbox One does support DLNA streaming and CDs

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

#1  Edited By isomeri

According to Ben Kuchera from Penny Arcade Microsoft have confirmed that Xbox One will support DLNA streaming and audio CD playback. Users will not be able to transfer MP3 files to the console, but they will be able to play music from their Windows device (Windows Phone, Windows 7, Windows 8 etc.) through the Xbox One.

All in all, a big yay for using custom soundtracks in Forza Motorsport 5. Apparently no confirmation for using custom soundtracks as of yet.

Istealdreams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Waiting for MS confirm instead of the Ben Kuchera. Which they haven't yet.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By bigjeffrey

My copy of Usher Confessions aint gonna play itself.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Well that's it then, the console war is over.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

Well, hmm. I suppose. I mean I like how you can make playlists on Xbox Music Subscription, and I guess I could just play any of that stuff over to the XONE. I can't Exactly download or stream stuff from Skydrive, like mixtapes for driving games. Or running over a bunch of zombies in a muscle car thing, with C4 strapped on it, and some mixtape stuff going on. Still, I mean I guess I could just plug in my Windows Phone. Maybe some mp3 transferring stuff will get patched in. But still, good for them!

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

drama!

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Thank god. Now I can finally enjoy that copy of Chumbawamba's Tubthumper that I've had lying around for 16 years.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still, I mean I guess I could just plug in my Windows Phone. Maybe some mp3 transferring stuff will get patched in. But still, good for them!

I think/hope that the music streaming from a Windows Phone would be wireless. You know, SmartGlass and stuff.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Blu3V3nom07

@isomeri said:

@blu3v3nom07 said:

Still, I mean I guess I could just plug in my Windows Phone. Maybe some mp3 transferring stuff will get patched in. But still, good for them!

I think/hope that the music streaming from a Windows Phone would be wireless. You know, SmartGlass and stuff.

.. Didn't even think of that. Just, push that mixtape stuff with Smartglass.. I dunno, maybe! That'd be pretty awesome, actually. :D

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Sooty

CDs!!! My prayers have been answered. Thank you Microsoft. Truly the only company pushing forward with innovation these days. Take that Apple and Google.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about a Spotify app?

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By crithon

huh, so Microsoft did give up one another exclusive audio format they made?

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that streaming from a PC is better than putting MP3's on the HDD anyway so this is great news.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll believe they support DLNA when I see it. My XBox 360 is the only thing in my entertainment system that can't figure out how to play things off my PVR or the backup or the dedicated media server.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jsnyder82

So will the PS4 now, with a second firmware update.

austinmiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By austinmiller

Native .mkv support would be awesome.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The article doesn't really say it does DLNA. It says you can push music to it with a protocol, not that it lets you pick music from DLNA servers.

Maybe it just amounts to which device you have to do the control on, I dunno.

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Slaegar

They can call me back when they have 10bit H264 support. You know like a gadget claiming to be a media box should. 8bit video is the new 128kbps mp3 for audio.

This would be a silly thing to fight over since these are ostensibly video games systems, but since they can't even do that well, they've gone to scraping the bottom of the dumpster and threatening to overthrow the power of the original Playstation with Compact Disc support.

edit: My previous post was a bit mean so let me change things up a bit. I feel like a lot of my posts are just being a cynical asshole and I don't like that about myself.

Sony has been pushing pretty hard on the games side and not much else. Their PR almost feels like "yeah we've got netflix and stuff, but LOOK AT THESE GAMES BRO" so not having support for a variety of media options makes sense even if it is a bit odd these days. Microsoft had an entire press conference that was almost entirely about non-games. Microsoft wants to build a more complete box and it shows in the price so they would need as many media options as possible. Sony is probably scrambling to make sure the PS4 launch works great from day one so they don't have any bad PR even if it means cutting a few odd features for a bit.

Here's a piggy

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game changer

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have never played a CD on my 360. so I dont think what sony is doing is a big deal. I havent bought a CD in Five year's. If I put my CD music on a console its going to be The Chronic. I think I own half of that on a burned disc.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WickedFather

Yay! Another shiny button sewn onto a turd.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By isomeri

Waiting for MS confirm instead of the Ben Kuchera. Which they haven't yet.

It's now been reported by Polygon as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-58513b27f2513
    deactivated-58513b27f2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock said:

How about a Spotify app?

Nah, both Microsoft and Sony want you to subscribe to their music service ( Xbox Music and Music Unlimited) and Spotify would get in the way of that.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Well, it stands to reason it the Xbox One would at least have media server functions...that the entire point of their system. I wonder if CDs even matter though?

To be honest I think Sony and Microsoft would be crazy to put that stuff in when 99% of the consumers don't use it. Yes, for every million users that means 10,000 use it. However, by adding $2 in CD/MP3 costs to each console that means you waist nearly 1.98 million dollars giving 10,000 people something. That is like spending $198 on each of those 10,000 people..its stupid...that math does not work.

Yet, guess what now both Sony and Microsoft probably will add those costs & functions because they cannot afford to lose 10,000,000 potential customer over the next five or six years because of something THIS silly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.