Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Xbox one game suggestions

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 46

Hey duders, I'm trying to figure out what the next game I'm going to play is. I'm really burnt out on open world games right now. I just finished back to back to back playthroughs of Dragon Age: Inquisition, Grand Theft Auto V and Assassin's Creed: Unity. With open world games out of the question, what do you suggest?

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By MEATBALL

In terms of current gen AAA retail releases I'm struggling to think of games from the past year on Xbox One/multiplatform I really liked that weren't open world. I loved Valiant Hearts if you'd like to give that a shot. The CoD Advanced Warfare campaign looked pretty fun to me, though I haven't played it.

Outside of Valiant Hearts my favourite non-open-world games of the past year were all games that aren't on the Xbox One - Bayonetta 2, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Persona Q, Mario Kart 8, Transistor and South Park Stick of Truth.

Perhaps REmake HD would be worth a shot?

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Killer Instinct, Titanfall, D4, Halo: TMCC (when it actually functions). Might wanna check out the xbox store on the weekend, supposedly some deals are gonna pop up. Sunset Overdrive is phenomenal, but it is an open-world so it probably won't do anything for you.

Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatball: Is Valiant Hearts all puzzles? It seems like that would be a good one to look at.

@doctordonkey: Halo just seems like a complete disaster still. Sunset Overdrive does look great, but I just need a break from the open world format.

It seems like I should look at smaller downloadable games like Valiant Hearts, Strider, or Child of Light.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Samaritan

Wolfenstein: The New Order might be right up your alley. It's fairly linear, has a beefy campaign, and unlike most shooters out today.

Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_felafel: You're right about Wolfenstein being great. Unfortunately I've beat it twice already and got all of the skills and collectibles. What about Metro?

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

Forza Horizon is open world, but it's a driving game, so I don't really perceive it to be that similar. Your call, obv, but I think it's one of the best games on that system and too seldom mentioned.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By MEATBALL

@thestandardtoaster said:

@meatball: Is Valiant Hearts all puzzles? It seems like that would be a good one to look at.

Yeah, it's all puzzles. It's basically a point & click adventure without the pointing and clicking. The puzzles aren't anything super brilliant, but I found them fun to solve and the story is excellent.

@captain_felafel said:

Wolfenstein: The New Order might be right up your alley. It's fairly linear, has a beefy campaign, and unlikely most shooters out today.

Man, how the hell did I forget about Wolfenstein TNO? Great game.

@veektarius said:

Forza Horizon is open world, but it's a driving game, so I don't really perceive it to be that similar. Your call, obv, but I think it's one of the best games on that system and too seldom mentioned.

Yeah, I just started up Forza Horizon 2 this week myself and I've been really digging it - I was reluctant to mention it due to the open world, though. It's very easy to just move from one event to the next and barely engage in the open world beyond following the waypoint to the next event, however.

I should also totally play D4, it's sitting on my Hard Drive, I just have a whole bunch to play at the moment.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've only played Metro 2033 on PC but either of the Metro Redux games could be worth looking at.
    I loved 2033.
    I also just saw you mentioned Metro after typing this.

Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Horizon looks great. I haven't played a great driving game since probably burnout paradise and need for speed hot pursuit. I'll watch the quick look.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Samaritan

@thestandardtoaster said:

@captain_felafel: You're right about Wolfenstein being great. Unfortunately I've beat it twice already and got all of the skills and collectibles. What about Metro?

Metro Redux is a terrific pick as well! GREAT value, AND it's only $25 on Amazon (Prime eligible) right now!

Forza Horizon 2 is also splendid. Terrific driving game, probably the best that's out on current-gen systems right now. Big, great-looking open world to drive expensive cars around in. Really fun.

Finally, maybe give Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare a look. It's actually a really excellent multiplayer FPS with a ton of character and a surprising amount of depth.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#12  Edited By isomeri

I'd recommend The Master Chief Collection purely on the merits of its single-player campaigns. It's still hard to find more enjoyable FPS-campaigns than the first three Halo games, and four is no slouch either. Other games worth taking a look at would probably be Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon 2, Valiant Hearts and Geometry Wars 3.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot that Halo's supposed to be on sale this weekend just went on sale. The online is still quite broken, but like I said you should definitely give the single-player a look. The sale also includes both seasons of The Walking Dead, the first of which is great and the second season's worth playing as well.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Horizon looks great. I haven't played a great driving game since probably burnout paradise and need for speed hot pursuit. I'll watch the quick look.

Horizon 2 is incredible and the online is still in full force too!

Alien: Isolation is 60% off right now so that could be worth a look. Quite a few games on sale right now worth having a look at.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Take a knee for a bit maybe? Take the time you play on games, to finally watching that TV show you wanted to watch. Perhaps discover a new hobby?

Otherwise try Destiny, or Child of Light. They have made things somewhat easier on Destiny, and Child of Light is adorable.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Want to come in as a huge, HUGE second advocate for Forza Horizon 2. Arguably the console's best exclusive. It's also the most--and happiest--fun I've had playing a driving game in years.

Titanfall is a cool FPS distraction which recently added a seriously wonderful horde mode for free.

Killer Instinct is probably the platform's best fighting game, mostly by virtue of being one of the platform's only fighting games (for the time being). But if you've never considered or understood some of the more complicated mechanics of a fighting game, Killer Instinct offers an elegant tutorial to bring you up to speed and get you rolling.

The Master Chief Collection works for the most part if you're playing alone. It still has significant issues when playing with friends via Xbox Live or even on the same screen. The four campaigns provide staggering value, however, if you've never played any of them before. Or even if you're willing to accept an excuse to see them in a franchise-unprecedented resolution and framerate.

Diablo III is every bit the loot game Destiny wants be. If you want to get away from shooters, and maybe want something to occupy your time that isn't completely involving (a "podcast game," as it's known around here), Diablo III could be your jam.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Forza Horizon 2 is the best game on the console, so get that if you like racing titles.

Avatar image for the_other_mario_brother
    The_Other_Mario_Brother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just picked up Sniper Elite 3 for $10 as part of the Xbox Game sale. Pretty good game, especially for $10

sku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Echoing KI, it's maybe my favorite fighting game and while it's technically free-to-play, just drop the 40 bucks on the Ultra packs--it's still less than a normal retail release and you get things earlier than other folks as they're rolled out.

You know what? That Sherlock Holmes game they put out on it wasn't that bad. Not even a joke.

Nags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't think of any off the top of my head.

Forza Horizon 2 is the best game on the console, so get that if you like racing titles.

He said no open world games.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@nags said:

Can't think of any off the top of my head.

@grilledcheez said:

He said no open world games.

It's not "open world" the way Grand Theft Auto or Assassin's Creed (the two games OP cited) are "open world." Horizon's sandbox is primarily there for you to turn your brain off and enjoy, and isn't stuffed to the gills with nonsensical side distractions. The game offers up content in the corners and open spaces of its world, but you're never encouraged or pressured to hunt down any of it. If you happen to like cars or driving games in the slightest, Horizon becomes this dreamland where you're coasting hypercars along sweeping seaside parkways or rocketing down express lanes like a bullet.

A player can approach Horizon like any racing game and simply mainline the races (and boy, are there lots and lots of races). You also happen to have this hyper-photogenic vista to play around in as an added perk.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.