Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

"XBOX ONE" Impressions Room

dogmeat256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Maybe worst showing of a console I have ever seen, but fixed the d-pad and bumpers it seems, the buttons still stick out a bit too much though

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm with vinny, That was a waste of everyone's time.

bslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Here is an episode of GTTV with some more information for those that want it: GTTV. HD RUMBLE!!!

EnduranceFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Barely anything shown that captures my interest. I don't care about it being a media hub for TV, music and sports, a focus of the majority of the conference. Gameplay of the new Call of Duty and that's it as far as gameplay.

Don't get me started on the bullshit we learned after the fact. Microsoft is openly waging war on the consumer and blatantly in the pockets of corporate publishers. Absolutely disgusting compromises that should never have been made.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah Microsoft, good luck getting me to buy another Kinect without so much as a dance from Usher.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#356  Edited By I_smell

If you're buying an Xbox to download music and watch basketball- there are cheaper, smaller and more effective machines out there already built specifically for you.

The Apple TV is $99, it's a tenth the size, and it has all the latest shows and movies. The remote has 3 buttons, and is not a fucking computer game controller. It's also not called "The X Box", and isn't branded after a computer games machine.

They should've announced a WINDOWS TV that's just a Kinect with an ethernet port on it, then packed that in with the new Xbox that's dedicated to games, while also making it available as it's own product. That way I win, my brother who doesn't play games wins, my parents win, everybody fucking wins and has a novel, useful new machine that they can afford to buy and will like using.

Jamming everything into one box is a product that's half-interesting for everyone, and too expensive for anyone not using the full 8GB of RAM.

topsteer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The two operating systems thing sounds like a fantastic idea for that fast swap between watching a game and watching a movie or something. Really smart move i think.

It's cool that it's possible but is it something that a lot of people would use? I can't think of anything I would want to quickly switch to while playing a game, maybe for people that aren't near a computer when they play could find some use for this but for me the computer is right next to me.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#358  Edited By Clonedzero

@topsteer said:

@clonedzero said:

The two operating systems thing sounds like a fantastic idea for that fast swap between watching a game and watching a movie or something. Really smart move i think.

It's cool that it's possible but is it something that a lot of people would use? I can't think of anything I would want to quickly switch to while playing a game, maybe for people that aren't near a computer when they play could find some use for this but for me the computer is right next to me.

I can think of a bunch of uses for it. I mean how many times have you been playing a co-op game with a friend online, they get a phonecall or have to step away for a couple minutes, you're just sitting there like an asshole. now you can swap and watch TV or netflix or whatever while he's taking the call.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Will totally be useful when playing with the imaginary person who walks around my home.
    Will totally be useful when playing with the imaginary person who walks around my home.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#360  Edited By Darji
    Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm gonna make snarky complaints about a cool feature because it doesnt appeal specifically to me!

Its the giantbomb way afterall!

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Now I can't stop thinking about calling it the XBone or "ecks-boen."

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#363  Edited By Darji

Angry Joe impression

Loading Video...

Haven't watched it yet but Angry Joe is often spot on.

MeganeAgain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#364  Edited By MeganeAgain

That was an impressive tech demo. Microsoft has an advantage over Nintendo and Sony in their OS crafting expertise, and that was very apparent in this reveal. I'm impressed by the machine.

Unfortunately, I am disappointed by the lack of games shown at the reveal. I think it is likely that Microsoft will hold a gamer-centric conference at E3 to make up for this. I'm sure they've been hiding a bunch of content away for the occasion.

Overall, I like the Xbox One. I think Microsoft held a good presentation.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#365  Edited By Pie

Argh someone posted angry joe I'm goin bed.

so angry

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#366  Edited By bunnymud

I have a feeling the PS4 will be doing the same with games. If your friend wants to borrow a game they will have to pay to play. If they do not my mind will be blown.

P.S. That dog is good as dead in the CoD game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@extomar said:

@pr1mus said:
    @humanity said:

@extomar said:

Is it over yet? I've noticed the anger rising in this thread.

Yes, what is way more depressing than that conference which was fine considering they said upfront that they will talk games at E3, is the completely negative and cynical outlook everyone on the internet seems to have adopted. Here I am sitting at my PC really excited to see this new XBOX, newer faster interface etc and then I come into the thread and people are right out of the gate so down on everything. What happened? Did everyone completely forget how to enjoy themselves?

Except that they didn't show that interface stuff either. Only a quick demonstration that really didn't show any details of an interface that looks almost identical to the current 360 interface and that's basically it. Also even fewer details on the hardware itself then Sony. They barely touched on services other than what is already available on 360 too.

Maybe Major Nelson shouldn't have poked fun at Sony for having a reveal without showing the box. Hmmm.

Well at the end of the day they showed the most important things to most people. How it looks like, what the controllers is like, what the new dashboard will look like and more less how the thing will work in motion. People are really concerned about what type of ram it uses or what the clock speed is but if the last generation is anything to go by those are not really important pieces of information. By all account the PS3 was a far superior platform to the 360 yet it underperformed in cross platform titles more often than not and all games generally ran the same. Nobody remembered or cared about how powerful the cell processor was after a few months.

Now don't get me wrong, I do think they could have given a few more details about Live and other things. Still in terms of what matters you got the most important rundown. What Microsoft did mention which is a major piece of information that all "gamers" should get excited about is the announced 15 exclusive titles within the first year, 8 of which will be new IP's. For any XBOX fan that is something to get really excited about as the 360 has been lacking in terms of exclusives these past few years. Hearing that you will get 15 exclusive titles for the new one within a year is amazing; that is a little over one completely exclusive title a month. It's a guarantee that when you purchase their new system you won't find yourself starved for games (as to the quality of those 15 exclusive titles, well that we will have to wait and see)

ScreamingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A very meh presentation.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

to be honest, better integrated apps is what I want from any system but man what an underwhelming mess of presentation that lulled me to sleep.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#370  Edited By Darji

@pie said:

Argh someone posted angry joe I'm goin bed.

so angry

we have francis too^^

Loading Video...

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@darji said:

Angry Joe impression

Loading Video...

I think he's a bit over the top here, but I couldn't stop laughing through a lot of it, so points for that!

tactis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I thought that was about what I expected, not mind blowing but pretty good. I liked how the voice commands seemed better, probably getting ps4 and xbox one on release assuming there is supply. Hopefully Microsoft has a couple of exclusives to announce at e3.

biggiedubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#373  Edited By biggiedubs

My general consensus was: 'We've all been hyped up for months, for this? Really?'

They've had all those months since the PS4 announcement, and yet all they could come up was this? I guess they were only doing it to get the name out there for marketing stuff, and to let the mass / non-gaming audiences know, but they could have just posted it on twitter and saved a whole bunch of money and everyone's time, but probably got the same amount of hype.

It may transpire that people are getting hands-on stuff behind closed doors, but if they're not, then why the fuck did they bother?

I guess they could use the feedback they're getting to fine-tune their E3 press conference, though. And I guess they could just have front-to-back games at E3 instead of the marketing spiel, but if not: this was a huge waste of time.

EDIT: I also got a huge Amy flashback when the trailer for Quantum Whatever came on. That is never a good thing.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Geo    Jeff on the new Controller.
    Geo Jeff on the new Controller.

simmant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@extomar said:

@pr1mus said:
    @humanity said:

@extomar said:

Is it over yet? I've noticed the anger rising in this thread.

Yes, what is way more depressing than that conference which was fine considering they said upfront that they will talk games at E3, is the completely negative and cynical outlook everyone on the internet seems to have adopted. Here I am sitting at my PC really excited to see this new XBOX, newer faster interface etc and then I come into the thread and people are right out of the gate so down on everything. What happened? Did everyone completely forget how to enjoy themselves?

Except that they didn't show that interface stuff either. Only a quick demonstration that really didn't show any details of an interface that looks almost identical to the current 360 interface and that's basically it. Also even fewer details on the hardware itself then Sony. They barely touched on services other than what is already available on 360 too.

Maybe Major Nelson shouldn't have poked fun at Sony for having a reveal without showing the box. Hmmm.

Well at the end of the day they showed the most important things to most people. How it looks like, what the controllers is like, what the new dashboard will look like and more less how the thing will work in motion. People are really concerned about what type of ram it uses or what the clock speed is but if the last generation is anything to go by those are not really important pieces of information. By all account the PS3 was a far superior platform to the 360 yet it underperformed in cross platform titles more often than not and all games generally ran the same. Nobody remembered or cared about how powerful the cell processor was after a few months.

The difference is that while the PS3 was technically more powerful, it was using a weird propriety technology that made it a massive pain to program for. Now Sony has switch to a far more developer friendly tech that is also fairly powerful, and the fact that Microsoft didn't say what type of ram they are using makes it seem like it is probably slower than what Sony is using. Since both consoles seem like they are on rather even footing as far as how easy they will be to develop for, a difference in the internal power between the two should be a bigger deal this time around.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@darji said:

Angry Joe impression

Loading Video...

I think he's a bit over the top here, but I couldn't stop laughing through a lot of it, so points for that!

FISH MOVE OUT OF THE WAY WHEN YOU GET CLOSE TO THEM! :o

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@kpaadet said:

Have MS said what kind of RAM they have in the Xbox One (damn that name dosn't "feel" right)?

DDR3, according to Engadget.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#378  Edited By Nictel

Meh

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
    selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@rvone said:

@selfconfessedcynic said:

@darji said:

Angry Joe impression

Loading Video...

FISH MOVE OUT OF THE WAY WHEN YOU GET CLOSE TO THEM! :o

Man, I went into his back catalogue to check out his other reaction videos, and I have to say - he isn't always angry like I suspected from his performance for this event.

Check this out - it's like night and day.

Loading Video...

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#380  Edited By RVonE

@selfconfessedcynic: Yeah, at some point he branched out. For example, if you look at his review for the latest Tomb Raider game, it's more like he is 'measured, articulate and well-spoken Joe' than anything else.

I really like this guy, by the way.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
    connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#382  Edited By bigjeffrey
    Loading Video...

SESSLER ON THE new Xbox Controller

Aterons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AiurFlux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just watched all the stuff about it since I was stuck playing baseball for a few hours earlier after work.

I'm going to be frank, Microsoft hasn't got a fucking clue and I think it's because of their arrogance. People are saying that they won this generation and this and that (although technically I do believe the PS3 sold better and didn't have anywhere near the quality problems) so I think their head got a little large and they lost focus. Most gamers, real gamers and not the dude bro frat boy, don't give a fuck about sports games. Most gamers already have something like AppleTV, an HTPC, or they just use Netflix for their TV... and Netflix is better on the PS3 because the interface on the XBox is such a clusterfuck. Most gamers want games and technology and a company that doesn't try to fuck them over at every chance and blatantly treat them like walking talking wallets.

And why is everybody forgetting debacles like the RRoD, which took them years to solve? For a time every single fucking 360 was defective with failure rates anywhere from 15-30%, most likely in the higher end of the spectrum. How can we trust a company like that? Their build quality has been proven to be shit. Do we know for sure that there won't be problems with this new system?

The only positive are the changes to the controller with a proper D-Pad. That's all I saw that actually looked any good. It's a shame that people will throw money at this thing just to keep their fucking Gamerscore, and believe me people will do just that. Because, in my opinion, Microsoft does need to learn a lesson in being humble. Sony learned it already with the awful PS3 launch, Nintendo is really learning it now with the WiiU, and Microsoft honestly needs to be taken down a peg. Their attitude and arrogance are astounding. But that's just wishful thinking I think.

freecajunlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#385  Edited By freecajunlove

Has anyone created a conspiracy theory yet for the Xbox One and Comcast's X1 yet? The X1 was announced on May 21st, 2012, and the the Xbox exactly one year later. The GUI looks pretty much the same on each. They are also both black boxes. What do you think? Comcast X1 DVR

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@bigjeffrey: that kinect stuff looked legitimately interesting. maybe they've finally realized what they wanted to get out of it from the start.

controller looks more comfortable than the ps4 one too. One Too. holy shit i think i just named the next next xbox.

EnduranceFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-hard-drive/

Every game has to be installed.

The console has a non-replaceable non-user serviceable hard drive.

Hm, I wonder if this could be problematic.

Buble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#388  Edited By Buble

After this generation I was ready to walk away find console gaming and just stick with my PC. With Steam Big Picture, and the games being a fraction of the price, I feel that even with bi-yearly upgrades I would be better served in the long-run to just get out of the console wars. Sony got me back interested, I'm taking a wait and see approach, but they addressed a lot of the concerns I had about sticking with consoles. The XB1 reveal actually pushed me in the opposite direction. I don't give a single shit about Kinect, even if it 100% worked, I don't have/want cable and people able to snap between games/browsing sounds cool it is pretty much a novelty I will use every so often.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#389  Edited By redcream

That whole presentation was lackluster for me. It's okay to save stuff for E3 but at least pump the anticipation a little bit. I get the appeal of the system but I am certainly not their target audience for that features and I feel most of Giant Bomb too. But maybe this is also a strategy on Microsoft's part to lower the expectations a little bit then blow us away with games. Under promise and over deliver.

Also, Xbox Infinity appealed to me more than Xbox One.

ExplodeMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#390  Edited By ExplodeMode

I already dislike the 360 for charging for things they had no business charging for, but now add locking games to accounts and using online verification on top of that and there's no way I will support it. Dangle any games they want in front of me at E3, I don't care.

If Sony were to do the same, I wouldn't buy a PS4 either. They are taking away one of the only things consoles have over PC.

thugg1280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

worst showing of a console I have ever seen the stuff they are trying to do with no used games needs to be online will not work. lots of ppl buy used games I don't but lots of ppl do.all of your arcade games gone gamefly will be hurt gamestop will be hurt just so much bullshit I was a xbox fan but I cant go along with them on this time. I just got back in to pc gaming a few years ago happy I did.

lol I bet the price of this thing is going to be high for some thing so restricted.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overall I'm let down by the whole unveiling. I would've much preferred Xbox Infinity as a name instead of the ridiculous name it has now, I don't understand why it requires internet verification once every 24 hours, paying to reactivate my games on a different console is an absolute joke, Kinect in every box concerns me that Microsoft will distract themselves again with motion games rather than developing proper console games I'd much rather play. Most of all their focus on being the all in one entertainment box making deals with cable providers concerns me that they won't have my best interests as a gamer in the long run.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So an unnamed Microsoft executive has teased that there will be a Rare game at e3 and that it will be a historic ip of rares. So erh, cool.

bucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#394  Edited By bucifer

old shit is awesome, new shit is weak, there, thread closed!

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure a media hub will work for some people, and that's fine, but my antiquated behind doesn't need all the bells and whistles. I want a system that plays innovative, fun games. Maybe E3 will show us some of that, but am I going to use a piece of equipment that's 30 percent dedicated to gaming?

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@selfconfessedcynic: Of course not he is just seriously pissed. He is/was a real 360 fanboy. Never owned a PS3 and never saw the need to. That why he is really upset about this event yesterday. You should watch his reviews they are often spot on as well. I really like his style.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#397  Edited By EXTomar
    @scroll said:

So an unnamed Microsoft executive has teased that there will be a Rare game at e3 and that it will be a historic ip of rares. So erh, cool.

Why didn't they tease it at this event? It isn't like they give a huge advantage to Sony revealing a game. It isn't like they can't talk about it at this even and E3.

A tease of a tease is a sign after this even is a sign someone is worried.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#398  Edited By Osaladin

I'll just leave this here.

Loading Video...

freecajunlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thugg1280: With your love of used games, you must only buy PC games from Green Man Gaming right? Unless there is another seller of games that allows you to trade them in....

Who cares if Gamstop is hurt?

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#400  Edited By grilledcheez

Some neat features, but largely a very boring show...hoping E3 is better

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.