Xbox One is a monitoring device, says the German government.

• 81 results
#1 Edited by Aegon (5377 posts) -

I think there has been some controversy when it comes to this subject. I don't know if this is all paranoid bullshit, but I suppose it's possible. This is what the Federal Data Protection Commissioner for Berlin, Peter Schaar had to say about it, in this rough translation? (google/babel fish?):

Under the heading, game device 'Microsoft pushes a monitoring device in the market. The Xbox continuously records all sorts of personal information about me. Reaction rates, my learning or emotional states. The are then processed on an external server, and possibly even passed on to third parties. Whether they will ever deleted, the person can not influence

source

#2 Posted by Brodehouse (9518 posts) -

Also the online store sells games with blood before 9 PM, verboten!

#3 Edited by NTM (7234 posts) -

There has certainly been a lot of news lately about the government monitoring society... I guess it's entirely possible, but I don't know whether I should be paranoid about it or not. As for right now, I'm not.

#4 Posted by Drebin_893 (2891 posts) -

I don't neccesarily care if they're tracking my reaction rates, "learning", or emotional states.

#5 Posted by AlexanderSheen (4904 posts) -

I bet he has evidence to back his claims. Definitely! He's a goverment official after all, he wouldn't come out and say stuff like that otherwise, right?... Right?...

#6 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

You can always trust the Germans, right?

#7 Posted by ShaggE (6290 posts) -

In Soviet Russia, the government is saying that the Xbone doesn't monitor quite enough.

#8 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

German government doing government work, unlike US one.

#9 Edited by Aegon (5377 posts) -
#10 Posted by jimmy_p (278 posts) -

^

|

Good, good... mock the man who dares to question the motives of a worldwide corporation

#11 Posted by isomeri (1217 posts) -

Unlike in the United States there are laws against companies recording people without their consent in the EU. This may have ramifications concerning the always on state of Kinect on the Xbox One.

#12 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -

"Consider the fact that the Xbox One can be turned on by a voice command, meaning that the microphone on the Xbox One is always listening, always waiting."

... that's kinda unsettling.

Maybe they record such data to identify possible spree killers? A big part of our society still blames games for school shootings and such.

#13 Edited by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -
#14 Posted by Alekss (327 posts) -
#15 Posted by jimmyfenix (3807 posts) -
#16 Posted by Superfriend (1520 posts) -

Okay, now as a native German duder, I know who the guy they quote is. This guy is basically calling everything on the internet "monitoring" and "dangerous" on a monthly basis.

That´s his job. He has to look out for potential risks and inform the government and the people. Basically, just cause he calls it a monitoring device, doesn´t mean it is one. He probably also doesn´t like Steam and Origin a whole lot... and just because he is upset, that doesn´t mean the German government has to do anything about the system. He´s basically just calling attention to the personal data related issue.

#17 Posted by Jayzilla (2554 posts) -

Go read 1984 and then come back and comment on this. Why would anyone want a camera facing them at all times in their living room? There is a reason the Kinect always has to be on, but no part of the reason is for any of your good at all.

#18 Edited by PedanticJase (57 posts) -

Hey guess what you don't need to buy the new xbox. Problem solved

#19 Posted by Brendan (7666 posts) -

@jayzilla: Blind trust isn't smart, but basing your beliefs off of worst-case scenario fiction isn't smart either.

#20 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

@jayzilla said:

Go read 1984 and then come back and comment on this. Why would anyone want a camera facing them at all times in their living room? There is a reason the Kinect always has to be on, but no part of the reason is for any of your good at all.

At first I was thinking that there needs to be a Godwin's law equivalent for nineteen eighty-four, but Doublespeak is probably the best one word summary of the Xbox reveal.

#21 Posted by TrafalgarLaw (1021 posts) -

Hey America, do your goddamn job and shut this PoS down before it even launches.

#22 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1726 posts) -

I don't see why the "voice activated from sleep mode" part can't be optional. It would certainly solve a lot of these trust issues.

I know Microsoft is really trying to compete with Apple these days, but non-Apple fans aren't exactly accepting of having features forced on them. Play to your market, not the market in direct contrast to yours.

#23 Edited by thetenthdoctor (291 posts) -

If I buy one, I'll just flip the power switch on the back to full off or unplug the Kinect when I'm not using it. Problem solved. It's not like MS can prevent me from unplugging it.

#24 Edited by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

@jimmy_p said:

^

|

Good, good... mock the man who dares to question the motives of a worldwide corporation

Exactly, one person with the power to influence this whole thing is getting pissed on because he stands up and says, "Bullshit."

#25 Posted by Jayzilla (2554 posts) -

@brendan said:

@jayzilla: Blind trust isn't smart, but basing your beliefs off of worst-case scenario fiction isn't smart either.

why would anyone want to use a device that required a camera to always be trained toward them for any reason, even if you aren't using it? I believe the TV stuff is integrated to that you can be tracked even longer. Why do I think this? None of what you can do with that TV stuff on the Kinect is stuff you can't do with your phone or tablet. If marijuana is a gateway drug, then this is a gateway device that will inevitably lead toward other devices meant to infringe upon personal privacy. I don't do anything in my home that warrants caring about any of this. That isn't the point though. My living room is my space away from others that don't live in my home. MS, or any other company or gov't. for that matter has ZERO right to that space, now or in the future.

#26 Posted by SlashDance (1801 posts) -

The ability to not buy something does not render the company making it exempt of all morals and ethics.

The "don't like eat, don't eat" argument is a complete fallacy.

#27 Posted by PedanticJase (57 posts) -

@slashdance: Have they done anything immoral or unethical?
It's fine to be paranoid but there have been a lot of leaps from entertainment product to dystopian future. I don't understand why you think my argument is a "complete fallacy". There are viable alternatives to the Xbox One in the PS4 and PC.

#28 Edited by 2HeadedNinja (1526 posts) -

@pedanticjase said:

The ability to not buy something does not render the company making it exempt of all morals and ethics.

The "don't like eat, don't eat" argument is a complete fallacy.

Thank you ... I hate that argument.

#29 Posted by spraynardtatum (2524 posts) -

Microsoft just needs to start explaining themselves clearly. Right now we don't know what the hell the thing does and that's letting imaginations run wild. They should do it now rather than later because I'm not a fan of having a camera in my house that is always waiting for me to talk to it. It sounds annoying...

#30 Edited by scalpel (314 posts) -

@pedanticjase: It clearly needs to be illegal because we need to protect people from themselves.

#31 Posted by TruthTellah (8409 posts) -

@alekss said:

@ollyoxenfree said:

@aegon said:

@ollyoxenfree said:

No.

:(

It did less killing than the american government lately

Well now that isn't accurate in the least. It's amazing how quickly a thread can go downhill.

#32 Posted by TruthTellah (8409 posts) -

This is all speculation as far as their policy on such information and how it is handled, but I definitely agree that there will be some concerns involved with it. Hopefully governments everywhere will take it seriously and consider whether their policies are proper or if they need to get changes to how the device works.

#33 Posted by MedalOfMode (294 posts) -

True. This Will give userdata to Microsoft to reach Google.

#34 Posted by SlashDance (1801 posts) -

@slashdance:

Have they done anything immoral or unethical?

I wasn't just talking about Microsoft but since you ask, I think the $3 T-shirts and shoes and hats for your avatar are a pretty good example of something that people justify by saying "they're trying to make money, it's a business, you don't have to buy it", that I personally find unethical.

First world problems, I know.

#35 Posted by Alekss (327 posts) -

@alekss said:

@ollyoxenfree said:

@aegon said:

@ollyoxenfree said:

No.

Well now that isn't accurate in the least. It's amazing how quickly a thread can go downhill.

Why isn't it accurate?

#36 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

Well fair enough... it IS a monitroing device.

If America wanted to put cameras into living-rooms they don't own across the globe under any other pretense than "It's a consumer electronics device!" then that would be pretty fucked up. Fair play, Germany!

#37 Posted by JeffGoldblum (3694 posts) -

@jayzilla said:

@brendan said:

why would anyone want to use a device that required a camera to always be trained toward them for any reason, even if you aren't using it? I believe the TV stuff is integrated to that you can be tracked even longer. Why do I think this? None of what you can do with that TV stuff on the Kinect is stuff you can't do with your phone or tablet. If marijuana is a gateway drug, then this is a gateway device that will inevitably lead toward other devices meant to infringe upon personal privacy. I don't do anything in my home that warrants caring about any of this. That isn't the point though. My living room is my space away from others that don't live in my home. MS, or any other company or gov't. for that matter has ZERO right to that space, now or in the future.

Dude, my cell phone has two cameras and a microphone. Any time I use it both of them are either 3 feet from or being held up to my face. My laptop also has a built in camera and microphone always pointing at me any time I use it. I'm not saying it's not a little unsettling when you think about it, but the whole cameras everywhere thing isn't new, and the world hasn't been taken over by the corporations yet.

#38 Posted by TruthTellah (8409 posts) -

@alekss said:

@truthtellah said:

@alekss said:

Why isn't it accurate?

Because it's not? You're talking about tens of millions of innocent people plus even more soldiers. To make the comparison is simply absurd.

And it has no place here. It's completely off the topic of the X1 and how some countries might look at its privacy concerns.

#39 Posted by nail1080 (1975 posts) -

@alekss said:

@truthtellah said:

@alekss said:

@ollyoxenfree said:

@aegon said:

@ollyoxenfree said:

No.

Why isn't it accurate?

Because sheep believe everything the media shove down their throat!

#40 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

@alekss said:

@truthtellah said:

@alekss said:

Why isn't it accurate?

Because it's not? You're talking about tens of millions of innocent people plus even more soldiers. To make the comparison is simply absurd.

And it has no place here. It's completely off the topic of the X1 and how some countries might look at its privacy concerns.

"You can always trust the Germans, right" also has no place here. Just sayin.

What do you honestly think that was a referrence to?

#41 Posted by spraynardtatum (2524 posts) -

I think within this generation we're going to be seeing some major changes in laws and how security is viewed. The Xbox One just seems like it offers too much data to be distributed and sold to other companies. It irks me something fierce.

#42 Posted by HH (595 posts) -

pretty sure if someone monitored my game-rages... i'd go on a list.

#43 Posted by TruthTellah (8409 posts) -

@nail1080 said:

@alekss said:

Why isn't it accurate?

No need to be a jerk, nail.

@i_smell said:

"You can always trust the Germans, right" also has no place here. Just sayin.

What do you honestly think that was a referrence to?

I'd definitely agree. But we don't have to match idiocy with more idiocy. That's how threads are tanked all the time.

#44 Edited by FourWude (2261 posts) -

Every person or organization that wishes to spy or monitor on others should themselves be spied and monitored upon. But have you noticed how they never want that to happen.

A corporation/organization without due right taps into a private home it gets a slap on the wrist. Tap into the their private world and you're sent to jail.

#45 Edited by JeffGoldblum (3694 posts) -

@fourwude said:

A corporation/organization without due right taps into a private home it gets a slap on the wrist.

Do you have any evidence? Perhaps past instances? Or some kind of legislation?

#46 Posted by billyhoush (1192 posts) -

They're gonna know how much I suck at COD.

#47 Posted by Alekss (327 posts) -

@nail1080 said:

@alekss said:

@truthtellah said:

@alekss said:

@ollyoxenfree said:

@aegon said:

@ollyoxenfree said:

No.

Why isn't it accurate?

How many countries did they invaded in the last 30 years? Tell me you shepard you.

#48 Edited by Aegon (5377 posts) -

This thread is still about the new Xbox, guys.

#49 Edited by Tarsier (1056 posts) -

yea people really need to stop being afraid of finding the truth. its going to happen whether you like it or not. search for it now without bias, so you can see whats coming and maybe try to prevent it . .

the xbox one design is just one of MANY obvious warnings. these people are sociopaths, they want nothing more than to control and dominate you and become gods through technology.

they already have all the money anyone could ever want. what they want now is complete power through technology.

bill gates is a known eugenicist. he wants the population growth to be at 0. he has paralyzed over 40k kids in india with one of his new vaccines.

im not gonna get too deep into this stuff here, but please just do research and dont just accept the first 'snopes' or whatever you see that tells you its ok and to go back to sleep. if you dont want to find the truth, you wont.

PS. please google stellar wind. if youre wondering how all this info is going to be used by these 'people', this is how.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.