Xbox One now comes with a headset (Rumor) [Update: Yes]

#1 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19371 posts) -

According to the official UK distributor for Microsoft Studios and Xbox products named Gem, the box will now include a headset.

The Xbox One hardware bundle will now include the Xbox One console featuring a 500GB hard disk drive and Blu-ray player, the new version of Kinect, a HDMI cable, and a redesigned wireless controller in addition to a wired Chat Headset. This package will be available from an unspecified date in November 2013, with a recommended retail price (RRP) of £429 GBP.

So this is another good reversal from Microsoft regarding the Xbox One. It was weird that the PS4 was including one and not the Xbox One and I always thought it was silly that they expected the Kinect to be such an ideal way to communicate online that it could justify the omission of a headset.

Still, it's not an official statement so it remains to be seen if this will actually happen.

Electronic Theatre

Edit:

August 8, 2013 update

From IGN:

In a blog post published alongside a new Xbox One Day One edition unboxing video on Xbox Wire, Microsoft revealed several new details regarding its upcoming console and accessories as they unboxed the new machine, said to be one of 20 final-spec Xbox Ones in the world so far.

Most notably, the Xbox One Day One edition will include an Xbox One Chat Headset, reversing the policy Microsoft announced in June. (Note: IGN has confirmed with Microsoft that the Chat Headset will be included in every Xbox One and not just the limited-edition Day One versions of the console).

#2 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

indeed 180. What else can they still do a 180 on? Kinect?

#3 Posted by Bollard (5663 posts) -

I do rather hope this is true, can't imagine how awful voice chat would have been with all the ambient noise coming from the Kinect.

8 year olds playing crap music over their headsets, but a thousand times worse.

#4 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

@darji said:

They could allow games to suspend the "apps & kinect OS" and write it's state out to disk, freeing up those two processor cores for doing real game stuff. Then resume the apps OS when you quit the game. It would add a few seconds of delay but, in my opinion, it would be an awesome move.

#5 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@tourgen said:

@darji said:

They could allow games to suspend the "apps & kinect OS" and write it's state out to disk, freeing up those two processor cores for doing real game stuff. Then resume the apps OS when you quit the game. It would add a few seconds of delay but, in my opinion, it would be an awesome move.

Ive seen different report about the RAM stuff. Some saying the max you can use is the 5 gigs and some saying that playing a game compresses those OS RAM bits so that the game can use more then the 5 gigs.

#6 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

I don't know how likely it is for them to remove the Kinect entirely as it's supposedly part of the SKU by now. But perhaps they could list that as the "casual" XONE kit" and bust out a "gamer" kit that removes the Kinect and focuses entirely on gaming at a cheaper price. Appeal to a wider audiences by having more than one kit.

#7 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19371 posts) -

Official word is that things remain unchanged, which is to say that the box won't come with a headset:

#8 Edited by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

I just hope they make a controller adapter so I can still use my Astros.

#9 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19371 posts) -

August 8, 2013 update

From IGN:

In a blog post published alongside a new Xbox One Day One edition unboxing video on Xbox Wire, Microsoft revealed several new details regarding its upcoming console and accessories as they unboxed the new machine, said to be one of 20 final-spec Xbox Ones in the world so far.

Most notably, the Xbox One Day One edition will include an Xbox One Chat Headset, reversing the policy Microsoft announced in June. (Note: IGN has confirmed with Microsoft that the Chat Headset will be included in every Xbox One and not just the limited-edition Day One versions of the console).

#10 Posted by EXTomar (4843 posts) -

I welcome the news but this makes me wonder if they really figured out what is going to ship or are they still figuring that out??

#11 Posted by Humanity (9589 posts) -

I'm just anxiously awaiting the news that they are going to release it in more countries rather than the specific few they mentioned earlier. If I have a choice between a PS4 and XBO I'd rather get an XBO but as of now I can't even get it in my region.

#12 Edited by Pudge (899 posts) -

When are they going to release news of a $100 SKU that includes a 2TB SSD, an Oculus Rift, a pizza maker, 10 free years of Xbox Live that also includes free Internet service and Cable from your local provider and an Xbox branded fleshlight? I think that's what they'll have to do in order to win over MY purchase at this point, I'm STILL not sure about them.

Also Microsoft, if you could buy me a car, I'd be a loyal customer for a long time. Just putting that out there.

#13 Posted by EXTomar (4843 posts) -

@humanity said:

I'm just anxiously awaiting the news that they are going to release it in more countries rather than the specific few they mentioned earlier. If I have a choice between a PS4 and XBO I'd rather get an XBO but as of now I can't even get it in my region.

At this point anything is possible because they didn't really have a plan or whatever plan(s) they had got trashed. In either event this is good for the buyer!

The only issue I see in deciding this stuff as late (supposed to be sub 4 months!) is that means there isn't much or enough time to physically make enough boxes to ship around the world....unless supply chain management has gotten absurdly good at JIT assembly.

#14 Posted by OGinOR (314 posts) -

@pudge: You, sir, win the internets for today.

#15 Posted by OGinOR (314 posts) -

@extomar: Have you watched Pachter's "Pach-Attack" from this weekend? The consoles are both probably starting production this month, so nobody has anything in boxes (or even has all the boxes) yet.

#16 Posted by HiroKedyn (32 posts) -

@extomar: They have figured it out. IGN has an unboxing video up of one of the 20 final spec XB1s showing what is included in it. Spoiler, there is a headset in the box.

#17 Posted by Irvandus (2881 posts) -

Thank god, I don't want to imagine a world where every kid was using their kinect microphone. Sure a regular mic is bad as well but ugh.

#18 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4234 posts) -

Cool shit! Now we can finally start comparing the chat quality from XONE to PS4, while having a decent discussion.

You know, the surprising thing to note here is that it has a separate power-brick. It looks like a fat ass laptop drive. Still :/

#19 Posted by Syed117 (392 posts) -

Hmm. Nice.

One less thing to cry about. I'm also willing to put money on the xbox one chat quality being vastly superior to the PS4s. Plus that headset might be cheap but it is already obvious that it is much nicer than the ps4 ear bud.

#20 Posted by Sergio (2160 posts) -

That's good news. I thought it was a bad idea not including it.

I like how Xbox fan boys were perfectly content with its absence, but now that it's included again, they have to still hype it.

#21 Edited by OGinOR (314 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: I'm pretty sure MS will never put a power supply inside a console again after the original 360 debacle.

#22 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

It looks like a decent headset. That PS4 thing looks like a super cheap ear piece.

#23 Posted by Residentrevil2 (452 posts) -

It does look like a good looking headset. I can't wait to use it.

#24 Edited by flippyandnod (398 posts) -

This is great news. And it also puts the lie to the idea that you're going to use Kinect for in-game chat. Which I think is great news, the only thing more annoying than trying to use Kinect for in-game chat yourself would be listening to the horrible echoey voices from other people trying to use it.

So now Kinect has nothing left to offer except hand waving, and I have no interest in that. I have everything I need to game without it. So why does MS still insist I must pay for it and hook it up?

#25 Posted by acer51 (34 posts) -

Well played Microsoft well played.

But not good enough!

#26 Posted by BigJeffrey (5076 posts) -

Cool, i can't wait to go back and forth with a 12 year old.

#27 Posted by Silver-Streak (1369 posts) -

I posted comments on this in the unboxing video, but I'm really glad to see Microsoft changed their mind on the headset bit.

However, I think we're now in crazy territory when it comes to a company reversing publicly stated policy before a product is released.

Just reversing the DRM stuff was unprecedented territory. Then publishing rights for indies. However, neither of those really cut into their bottom line, just potential profits.

However, Including an accessory in every box that they were previously planning on selling for $15 a pop is crazy, as that directly affects their bottom line. When you could probably guarantee a 40-50% attach rate to XBLGold members and people buying the headset, you're now going to only get people that need replacements and/or secondary headsets, assuming they don't get the deluxe one or a third parties.

For the consumer, this is awesome. This is exactly why competition is fantastic in a marketplace.

That being said, it does not bode well for Microsoft's confidence in any of it's XBO vision.

I'm excited for November (and October, if Sony decides to go crazier), although I kinda wish my controller wouldn't have the DAY ONE 2013 on it.

#28 Posted by ez123 (1967 posts) -

@sergio said:

I like how Xbox fan boys were perfectly content with its absence, but now that it's included again, they have to still hype it.

I would like some before and after quotes so we can laugh at the people who said it's not a big deal and now think it's a huge deal. Otherwise, you're kind of saying nothing.

I know that for me, I said Kinect sucked because they weren't including a headset in that one AlexGlass thread. Long before the hints of including one a couple of weeks ago. So I'm good. :)

#29 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1844 posts) -

@ez123 said:

@sergio said:

I would like some before and after quotes so we can laugh at the people who said it's not a big deal and now think it's a huge deal. Otherwise, you're kind of saying nothing.

I know that for me, I said Kinect sucked because they weren't including a headset in that one AlexGlass thread. Long before the hints of including one a couple of weeks ago. So I'm good. :)

Also the whole reversed opinions thing happened alot on both sides I don't see how this one was a big deal.

#30 Edited by Sergio (2160 posts) -

@ez123 said:

@sergio said:

Surprisingly, I don't keep a special text file where I copy/paste dumb things said by people on forums. I also won't wast my time tracking them down just to point to specific instances.

#31 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19371 posts) -

Also the whole reversed opinions thing happened alot on both sides I don't see how this one was a big deal.

Both sides?

#32 Posted by connerthekewlkid (1844 posts) -

@sergio said:

@ez123 said:

@sergio said:

Surprisingly, I don't keep a special text file where I copy/paste dumb things said by people on forums. I also won't wast my time tracking them down just to point to specific instances.

I sometimes do that just to send it to https://twitter.com/NeoGAFShitPosts

#33 Posted by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

Good news. Added value. Saves me $25.

#34 Posted by rockman10 (53 posts) -

I don't get this rumor anyway, when they had it up for preorder it showed a headset as part of the Xbox One package.. why did no one understand that a headset was coming with it?

#35 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

I don't get this rumor anyway, when they had it up for preorder it showed a headset as part of the Xbox One package.. why did no one understand that a headset was coming with it?

It was not included at first they added it.

#36 Edited by Silver-Streak (1369 posts) -
#37 Edited by spraynardtatum (3237 posts) -

Microsoft is providing the best "will they won't they" since Ross and Rachel.

#38 Edited by ez123 (1967 posts) -

@sergio said:

@ez123 said:

@sergio said:

Not surprising at all. So yeah, a nothing post by you. It's not the same people saying both of these things.

I think I would think this was a bigger deal if party chat was disabled during ranked games or something like that. Playing Gears with everyone actually using their mics was amazing. So yeah, even though Sony's offering basically amounts to cheap earbuds(guaranteed to die after a couple of months), I guess that's less of a big deal than it should be. Though, Sony lets you plug in whatever so there's more freedom there.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.