Xbox One Reviews

#1 Edited by BigJeffrey (5143 posts) -

XBOX UNO REVIEWS

Reviews will start pouring out Today up until Thursday. Thursday, Ryse reviews will hit, save the best for last or save the worst for last? I'll compile the reviews.

Thursday, November 21 at 3am PT/6am ET

• Ryse: Son of Rome

Friday, November 22

• It'sHappening.gif
  • That New Mario Game with a Fucking Cat Suit that looks good

Dead Rising 3

Glad to see this game getting great reception Day 1.

Forza Motorsport 5

Ryse: Son Of Rome

Joystiq - 2.5/5

"For all of it's pomp and flash, Ryse: Son of Rome is a shallow bore"

IGN - 6.8/10

"Ryse is an entertaining ride that often values spectacle over skill"

Polygon - 6/10

"Ryse is beautiful but hollow"

Gamespot - 4/10

"Ryse is all sizzle and no steak"

OXM UK - 7/10

"Ryse looks fantastic - a genuinely promising example of what the Xbox One can do"

Kotaku - YES

"Superfluous Boob Physics"

Xbox360Achievements - 80/100

"Brilliant combat, a sumptuously produced story and some of the best visuals we’ve ever seen make up for the limitations of the gameplay"

Destructoid - 5/10

"An exercise in apathy, neither Solid nor Liquid. Not exactly bad, but not very good either. Just a bit 'meh,' really"

Eurogamer - 5/10

"As repetitive and shallow as it is, Ryse is always blandly playable; its handsome looks and the daft vigour of the scenario will easily get you to the end of a game that doesn't outstay its welcome"

GamesRadar - 3.5/5

"Ryse will almost undoubtably exceed your expectations with its interesting story and unbelievable visuals. Combat might get repetitive, but you'll enjoy your time as a Roman soldier"

Killer Instinct

Zoo Tycoon

Crimson Dragon

Lococycle

Powerstar Golf

#2 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

Thew fact that Ryse embargo ends on Thursday is a really bad sign for that game. My guess it will be even worse reviewed than Knack on many sites. Today's most interesting one will be Dead Rising 3 .

#3 Posted by flasaltine (1695 posts) -

So in a few minutes we will have reviews?

#4 Edited by BigJeffrey (5143 posts) -

So in a few minutes we will have reviews?

Yes

#5 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -
#6 Posted by flasaltine (1695 posts) -

Gamespot has its reviews up. DR3 is a 7. CD is a 5 and LC is a 6.

#7 Edited by AMyggen (3525 posts) -

Dead Rising 3 is getting the reviews I'm guessing most of us expected: It's a good game with lots of flaws, 7/10-ish on average.

Killer Instinct is the most interesting game for me today. I'm not a fan of the franchise, but what they've shown has looked pretty good. A severe lack of characters will probably hurt it though.

#8 Posted by Pie (7110 posts) -

Yeah Lococycle has been looking realllllll rough everytime I saw it

#9 Posted by mrfluke (5316 posts) -

too funny that so far zoo tycoon is one of the highest rated games.

so with the forza and ryse reviews being held back. im guessing those were what MS touts as their flagship titles.

#10 Posted by flasaltine (1695 posts) -

It always looked like a bad game. I don't know how anybody saw that Lococycle trailer and said "This looks awesome!"

#11 Posted by SomeJerk (3362 posts) -

Doesn't sound like framerates get in the way of the gameplay in DR3 so I'm happy about that, but it does look like a past generation game. Happy seeing such honesty in the reviews from IGN etc about these too.

#12 Edited by AMyggen (3525 posts) -

@somejerk said:

Doesn't sound like framerates get in the way of the gameplay in DR3 so I'm happy about that, but it does look like a past generation game. Happy seeing such honesty in the reviews from IGN etc about these too.

Has it been confirmed if DR3 started as a 360 game or not? If it did, that could help explain why it doesn't take advantage of the Xbone's performance. Anyways, launch games etc.

#13 Posted by RoarImaDinosaur (191 posts) -

My bets are on Forza and Power Star Golf to run away with the best scores.

#14 Posted by Pie (7110 posts) -

Hey did I miss the reviews for multiplatform stuff?

#15 Posted by BigJeffrey (5143 posts) -
#16 Posted by Yummylee (22290 posts) -
@somejerk said:

Hm? Both Eurogamer & gamespot have mentioned that the framerate is consistently choppy throughout the game. It's not the doom and gloom 10fps that some people were professing at least, but it sounds like it's still less than ideal.

#17 Edited by Humanity (9855 posts) -

@yummylee said:
@somejerk said:

Hm? Both Eurogamer & gamespot have mentioned that the framerate is consistently choppy throughout the game. It's not the doom and gloom 10fps that some people were professing at least, but it sounds like it's still less than ideal.

Weird, from the preview footage that GB guys brought back and talked over it looked like the game was consistently running at a smooth framerate even when murdering dozens of zombies on screen at a time.

#18 Posted by SomeJerk (3362 posts) -

@amyggen said:

@somejerk said:

Has it been confirmed if DR3 started as a 360 game or not? If it did, that could help explain why it doesn't take advantage of the Xbone's performance. Anyways, launch games etc.

I never existed on the 360 even in a prototype form it turned out, it was just a comment that they thought it'd end up on there. Thinking that's why it's not very next-generation in any way but the numbers of zombies and effects, they had design on paper and never thought to expand.

#19 Edited by Chaser324 (6716 posts) -

GameSpot is running an Xbox One livestream right now. Not sure what all they'll be showing, but they just finished showing a little bit of Forza 5. No UI or anything because that's embargoed until tomorrow.

#20 Posted by AMyggen (3525 posts) -

@humanity: Well, from the Edge review:

"Such compromises mean the game maintains a steady 30fps (once you’ve downloaded the day-one patch), even during busy scenes, and once you’re playing there are no loading times to interrupt your journey."

So, who knows?

#21 Edited by SomeJerk (3362 posts) -

@humanity: @yummylee: That's another weird thing! None of them ran the final gold version, too.

You've seen people call GTA5 a choppy framey mess (for singleplayer) but I never found it got in the way of my enjoyment. That's where I'm coming from on this.

#22 Posted by Pie (7110 posts) -

Strange there's no DR3 review from IGN yet

#23 Posted by Nictel (2430 posts) -

"Zoo Tycoon is repetitive and a little glitchy; it's simple and sometimes irritating. " 8/10 HUH Review =/= Score

#24 Posted by Deranged (1856 posts) -

I am genuinely and pleasantly surprised that Killer Instinct is performing better than how I expected it too. Dead Rising 3 is receiving the scores I predicted and I'm fine with that. Consensus has it that it's ridiculously fun but lacks a narrative, which is to be expected with DR.

#25 Posted by Nictel (2430 posts) -

@deranged said:

I am genuinely and pleasantly surprised that Killer Instinct is performing better than how I expected it too. Dead Rising 3 is receiving the scores I predicted and I'm fine with that. Consensus has it that it's ridiculously fun but lacks a narrative, which is to be expected with DR.

Who needs narrative, killing zombies with stupid dumb weapons is narrative enough for me. (In the case of DR)

#26 Posted by Humanity (9855 posts) -

@amyggen said:

@humanity:

Well, from the Edge review:

"Such compromises mean the game maintains a steady 30fps (once you’ve downloaded the day-one patch), even during busy scenes, and once you’re playing there are no loading times to interrupt your journey."

So, who knows?

That would mean it runs at a steady 30FPS doesn't it? Which is pretty impressive considering from what I saw there are a LOT of zombies on screen at any given time. Of course it's not like WOW NEXT GEN impressive but it's a nice change from the 360/PS3 days of stuttering during busy scenes.

#27 Posted by kpaadet (413 posts) -

@humanity said:

@yummylee said:
@somejerk said:

Weird, from the preview footage that GB guys brought back and talked over it looked like the game was consistently running at a smooth framerate even when murdering dozens of zombies on screen at a time.

Did we watch the same footage? I saw plenty of fps drops during the shown DR3 footage.

#28 Posted by SuperSambo (2881 posts) -

@somejerk said:

@amyggen said:

@somejerk said:

I never existed on the 360 even in a prototype form it turned out, it was just a comment that they thought it'd end up on there. Thinking that's why it's not very next-generation in any way but the numbers of zombies and effects, they had design on paper and never thought to expand.

This isnt right... It was being designed on both the ps3/360 when it was about to get canned for missing so many deadlines. MS stepped in and the rest is history.

#29 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4469 posts) -

I'm half hoping that Polygon gives the console an 8 just so I can see the Internet catch fire

#30 Posted by Pie (7110 posts) -

Sounds like dead rising is showing off the next generation in exactly the same way the original did. Everything's cyclical man

#31 Edited by Deranged (1856 posts) -

@nictel said:

@deranged said:

Who needs narrative, killing zombies with stupid dumb weapons is narrative enough for me. (In the case of DR)

Oh without a doubt! I cannot WAIT to pick this up on Friday.

#32 Edited by churrific (483 posts) -

Kind of bummed out about Crimson Dragon. That was one of the big ones I was looking forward to as a Panzer Dragoon fan.

#33 Posted by Berserker976 (385 posts) -

Man, that Joystiq Lococycle review is brutal.

#34 Edited by BigJeffrey (5143 posts) -

@deranged said:

yup KI and DR3 for me.

#36 Posted by Yummylee (22290 posts) -

In any case, Dead Rising 3 still continues to be a game that I'm genuinely a little upset that I can't play =( Though hearing that all of your combo weapons can be selected at any time from a safehouse defeats parts of what I liked about Dead Rising. Finding the secret weapons and memorising the layouts of the environments to find the best materials was one of the most rewarding aspects about DR2 in particular.

I'm happy there's at least the Nightmare Mode to once again reinforce the strict time-limits the series is known for, though. The game would probably otherwise get a little boring without it.

#37 Posted by NoelVeiga (1107 posts) -

@darji said:

Thew fact that Ryse embargo ends on Thursday is a really bad sign for that game. My guess it will be even worse reviewed than Knack on many sites. Today's most interesting one will be Dead Rising 3 .

Don't read too much into it. That game sounds like it's coming in hot and it's a third party game. It's entirely possible that it simply isn't done for this pre-release review round.

That doesn't mean it'll be great, either, just that on a launch window not getting review copies early means even less than it normally does, and it's already not a 1:1 relationship to game quality. Think of it this way, LocoCycle, Knack and Crimson Dragon all got sent early and all of them performed very poorly. I don't think the game is ready and held back just to avoid a bad score.

#38 Posted by Chaser324 (6716 posts) -

It seems like most of the complaints about Dead Rising is that it's still Dead Rising - frustrating boss battles, weird inventory management, dumb writing.

I'm totally down with just more Dead Rising.

#39 Posted by Deranged (1856 posts) -

I'm anxious to see the reviews for Ryse while I'm pretty sure Forza is to be expected.

#40 Posted by Deranged (1856 posts) -
#41 Edited by Tobyus (102 posts) -

Whats your thoughts on this? Did you guys see this coming? It looks like quite low review scores on all Xbone games. Not all too impressive.

#42 Posted by Deranged (1856 posts) -

@tobyus said:

Whats your thoughts on this? Did you guys see this coming? It looks like quite low review scores on all Xbone games. Not all too impressive.

Truthfully? It's rather predictable for the exception of Killer Instinct. I knew DR3 was going to get 7-8's on average and I never had too much interest in either Crimson Dragon nor Lococycle, although it sucks to see the general consensus to be low.

#43 Posted by BigJeffrey (5143 posts) -

@tobyus said:

Launch Games

#44 Posted by Grimace (376 posts) -

Outside of Lococycle and Crimson Dragon the scores seem pretty good all things considered?

I expect Forza 5 will be the highest rated of them of all and Ryse will see a sub-5/10 average.

#45 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

@tobyus: What? No, looks like there is plenty to enjoy in the lineup. Standard launch game bs but still some fun.

#46 Posted by Chaser324 (6716 posts) -

@tobyus: I'm not sure which reviews you're looking at.

Yeah, Crimson Dragon and Lococycle are a bit disappointing, but the KI and DR3 reviews are largely pretty positive and Zoo Tycoon looks to be much better than I had personally anticipated.

#47 Posted by Deranged (1856 posts) -

So it seems like the only real complaint from Killer Instinct is the generally small roster while they all praise the combat. A GOOD DOUBLE-HELIX GAME?! THE FUCK IS GOING ON?

#48 Posted by AndrewB (7686 posts) -

@tobyus said:

Launch Games

Pretty much exactly what I expected, if not hoped for. I think I could still have a fun time with Dead Rising 3 though, especially since I never played 2 beyond the re-release DLC/demo/arcade title.

#49 Posted by Krullban (1062 posts) -

@tobyus: All of the launch ps4 games got poor reviews too.

Launch games.

#50 Edited by crithon (3441 posts) -

this is so well organized, I'm probably going to use this as a portal for all these reviews. Good job man.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.