Xbox One Reviews

#51 Edited by Tobyus (100 posts) -

@tobyus: I'm not sure which reviews you're looking at.

Yeah, Crimson Dragon and Lococycle are a bit disappointing, but the KI and DR3 reviews are largely pretty positive and Zoo Tycoon looks to be much better than I had personally anticipated.

Referring to GameSpot, IGN and REV3

@andrewb said:

@bigjeffrey said:

@tobyus said:

Whats your thoughts on this? Did you guys see this coming? It looks like quite low review scores on all Xbone games. Not all too impressive.

Launch Games

Pretty much exactly what I expected, if not hoped for. I think I could still have a fun time with Dead Rising 3 though, especially since I never played 2 beyond the re-release DLC/demo/arcade title.

Yeah? Whats your take on buying XBone, you think the games would suffice?

@tourgen said:

@tobyus: What? No, looks like there is plenty to enjoy in the lineup. Standard launch game bs but still some fun.

Sure, they do seem enjoyable. Dead Rising 3 is the only thing that COULD interest me, but after some reviews its making me doubt it. I am waiting for the Ryse review though.

#52 Edited by PSNgamesun (394 posts) -

Kinda figure that killer instinct would be a 7.5, dead rising a 8 and Forza a 9. Everything else looked really weak like Ryse.

Still those aren't bad reviews, in fact it looks like X1 has a good solid launch line up. After playing the ps4 titles I found that only some downloadable games were real fun and resogun and KillZone were the stand outs and now the X1 seems to have the better games at release date. Well according to reviewers.

#53 Posted by Davvyk (693 posts) -

IM SO EXCITED!!!!!

#54 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

I feel like it's really bugging some people (me included) that the titles expected to bomb; Killer Instinct and smaller games like Zoo Tycoon and Powerstar Golf, are gathering solid to great reviews. An awkward mix of variety I guess?

#55 Edited by EXTomar (4497 posts) -

@chaser324:

Rhetorical question but how can the UI of a game be embargoed while the rest of the game is not?! Or do you mean the XBox One dashboard?

#56 Edited by Chaser324 (6325 posts) -

@extomar: Sorry if I was unclear. I meant the system level UI. The embargo for that and everything else related to the Xbox One hardware expires tomorrow.

#57 Posted by EXTomar (4497 posts) -

Gotcha. I only ask because that would be super weird.

I am always concerned by hiding this stuff (goes for the PS4 launch as well). It seems innocuous enough where it is unclear what they have to gain by protecting (or hiding it) at this point. Getting people to see and recognizing the interface is a good first step in "acceptance".

#58 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@noelveiga: The last thing I heard that it takes you 90 to finish half the game. So yeah I don't expect much from a former Kinect game.

#59 Posted by ttocs (762 posts) -

Dead Rising is the one game that makes me wish I had enough money to buy 2 consoles. That game looks like it's going to be a lot of fun.

#60 Posted by TheMasterDS (2015 posts) -

@tobyus: I think in general buying a console at launch is an investment in the future. There will be a game you play to test it out, might as well be Dead Rising 3 or KI. For what it's worth the Xbox One's initial exclusives are actually worth buying whereas all I have on my PS4 is AC4 and Resogun.

#61 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -
#62 Posted by Chaser324 (6325 posts) -

@extomar: Embargo dates and limiting pre-release access are definitely sometimes abused to keep bad stuff under wraps, but that typically isn't the case. It's often just about managing the marketing to build hype and being equitable to all media outlets - allowing them all enough time to thoroughly play through a game and publish a fair review rather than rushing to try to be the first review.

#63 Edited by AgnosticJesus (542 posts) -

Scores fall pretty much in line with what is to be expected for both consoles. I am a bit disappointed with the score for Lococycle. I like Twisted Pixel's humor and Gunstringer was one of my favorite 360 games. Probably will still pick it up even though I'm sure it'll be a wasted $20. So far it's definitely Dead Rising and KI for me. Will decide whether Ryse or Forza is worth getting when reviews hit. I'm actually more excited for Xbox Fitness more than anything.

#64 Posted by RyanMcHenry (3 posts) -

I'm sitting at work reading all of these reviews and I feel like I just want to scream out of excitement! I cannot wait till friday to play with my shiny new Xbox One!

#65 Posted by sub_o (836 posts) -

Man, launch games are mostly mediocre. I hope that there will be surprising games next year so that I can finally purchase a next gen console.

#66 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5338 posts) -

Oh hey just realized Titanfall is not a launch title. Microsoft is fucked. ACIV is the golden child of launchdom.

#67 Posted by SteadyingMeat (1113 posts) -

Man I really wanna play Dead Rising 3. Probably the only interesting launch title on both systems for me.

#68 Posted by Humanity (8809 posts) -

Oh hey just realized Titanfall is not a launch title. Microsoft is fucked. ACIV is the golden child of launchdom.

Microsoft has a secret launch day weapon though - TV shit. Can't wait to get my Game of Thrones achievements.

#69 Posted by MildMolasses (3213 posts) -

It always looked like a bad game. I don't know how anybody saw that Lococycle trailer and said "This looks awesome!"

The fact they rarely (if ever) showed actual gameplay should have tipped people off. Not to mention that even the few screen shots on the site make it look like an upres'd PS2/Xbox game

#70 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1405 posts) -

Dead Rising 3 looks great (btw you spelled Kotaku wrong under for the DR3 review), only title with TitanFall that make me want a Xbox One.

#71 Posted by THRICE_604 (210 posts) -

@darji said:

Thew fact that Ryse embargo ends on Thursday is a really bad sign for that game. My guess it will be even worse reviewed than Knack on many sites. Today's most interesting one will be Dead Rising 3 .

Don't read too much into it. That game sounds like it's coming in hot and it's a third party game. It's entirely possible that it simply isn't done for this pre-release review round.

That doesn't mean it'll be great, either, just that on a launch window not getting review copies early means even less than it normally does, and it's already not a 1:1 relationship to game quality. Think of it this way, LocoCycle, Knack and Crimson Dragon all got sent early and all of them performed very poorly. I don't think the game is ready and held back just to avoid a bad score.

Really because there is crazy chatter about Ryse being only 3 hours. If that game is that short and $60 that is a death knell on top of bleh reactions from most preview coverage including GameInformers out of character harsh "fun as dialing a phone number" headline.

#72 Posted by RazielCuts (2928 posts) -

Every time someone uses 'Kotatsu' to refer to Kotaku I want to take a sharp needle and just slowly push it into their skin.

So...Lococyle is the XB1's Knack?

#73 Posted by johncallahan (542 posts) -

As happy as I am to see that I'll have something worth playing on my One come Friday, the real news here is that Killer Instinct track. Holy hell is that awesome!!!

#74 Edited by shinboy630 (1133 posts) -

Dem Zoo Tycoon scores

#75 Posted by theanticitizen (258 posts) -

@tobyus: since when are 7s and 8s low? To me that's still a game worth buying no matter the console.

#76 Posted by Krullban (1023 posts) -

@noelveiga said:

@darji said:

Thew fact that Ryse embargo ends on Thursday is a really bad sign for that game. My guess it will be even worse reviewed than Knack on many sites. Today's most interesting one will be Dead Rising 3 .

Don't read too much into it. That game sounds like it's coming in hot and it's a third party game. It's entirely possible that it simply isn't done for this pre-release review round.

That doesn't mean it'll be great, either, just that on a launch window not getting review copies early means even less than it normally does, and it's already not a 1:1 relationship to game quality. Think of it this way, LocoCycle, Knack and Crimson Dragon all got sent early and all of them performed very poorly. I don't think the game is ready and held back just to avoid a bad score.

Really because there is crazy chatter about Ryse being only 3 hours. If that game is that short and $60 that is a death knell on top of bleh reactions from most preview coverage including GameInformers out of character harsh "fun as dialing a phone number" headline.

Crytek has said "Ryse is 6.5-8.5 hrs on avg. Not all missions are equal length. E.g. M1 = 20min, M3 = 60-80min etc..."

#77 Edited by AgnosticJesus (542 posts) -

@razielcuts: Lococycle could very well be XB1's Knack but more people, myself included, may be willing to take a chance on it since it $20 as opposed to $60.

#78 Edited by Chaser324 (6325 posts) -

Hmm...seeing some of GameSpot's stream of Ryse has made me think that game might be better than anticipated. I'm looking forward to seeing those reviews.

#79 Edited by bigjeffrey (4778 posts) -
@razielcuts said:

Every time someone uses 'Kotatsu' to refer to Kotaku I want to take a sharp needle and just slowly push it into their skin.

no, lococycle is a budget downloadable title. Also it's Kotatsu.

#80 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4154 posts) -

@pie said:

Strange there's no DR3 review from IGN yet

Dead Rising 3 on IGN got an 8.3.

@yummylee said:

In any case, Dead Rising 3 still continues to be a game that I'm genuinely a little upset that I can't play =( Though hearing that all of your combo weapons can be selected at any time from a safehouse defeats parts of what I liked about Dead Rising. Finding the secret weapons and memorising the layouts of the environments to find the best materials was one of the most rewarding aspects about DR2 in particular.

Well, there's also the fact to remember that DR3 will be getting four "expansion packs", priced with a $30 season pass , w/ an extra muscle car. So it'll be getting much more content, with hopefully more costume and item packs as well as story they seem to have. Hopefully its good.

IGN also gave Killer Instinct an 8.4.

#81 Posted by Humanity (8809 posts) -

@razielcuts said:

no, lococycle is a budget downloadable title. Also it's Kotatsu.

Only "bigjeffrey" does it. Apparently it's funny, you know, cause it's spelled Kotaku but when you write Kotatsu it's just so much funnier, or something.

#82 Edited by bigjeffrey (4778 posts) -

@humanity: it's a callback to a dumb thrown away joke made in the persona endurance run, i like to keep said dumb joke alive, whoa is me.

#83 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5338 posts) -

@theanticitizen: Reviews in the game industry have always been skewed higher; so a 7 is actually a 5 or 2 stars on a movie scale (i.e. average); even Giant Bomb is wont to give something like that 3 stars which is still "above average."

#84 Posted by Syed117 (387 posts) -

Glad dead rising seems like a fun time. Don't think any of the reviews scores are surprising.

Lococycle always looked like trash.

Looking forward to Friday. Until then, Resogun is keeping me occupied.

#85 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Hmm...seeing some of GameSpot's stream of Ryse has made me think that game might be better than anticipated. I'm looking forward to seeing those reviews.

Oh, they already have a stream showcasing Ryse? I thought that was still embargoed? What are the initial thoughts from the team over there?

#86 Posted by insane_shadowblade85 (1388 posts) -

@humanity: it's a callback to a dumb thrown away joke made in the persona endurance run, i like to keep said dumb joke alive, whoa is me.

I still haven't gotten my settlement money from injuring myself at your roller coaster theme park.

#87 Posted by Chaser324 (6325 posts) -

@deranged: Only the first two levels can be shown. Kevin Van Ord is reviewing it. He seemed pretty up on it, but he still hasn't finished it and could've just been avoiding saying anything too embargo busting.

#88 Posted by stryker1121 (1345 posts) -

Dead Rising has always been a bit of an odd duck franchise so not too surprised by the scores. Interested to see what the verdict is on Ryse. That game and DR3 are the only xone launch games I have any interest in.

#89 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3748 posts) -

Very happy that Dead Rising isn't a mess. Sounds really awesome to me. Will definitely pick it up when I get an Xbox down the line.

By the way for all that "WOW THIS GAME FUCKING SUCKS NEXT GEN AMI RIGHT?!?!? LOLOL" posts:

Graphics:The framerate never hiccuped once, even when steamrolling through dense crowds of zombies and sending limbs flying

- from the Game Informer review. Digital Foundry was way off. I knew something was fishy when the dudes at Giant Bomb saw this game recently and did a total 180 on it because of the performance being night and day better.

If Digital Foundry is trying to be the go to, bulletproof source for graphics information, they really should knock it off doing anything pre-release.

@chaser324 said:

I think it will be pretty good. It seems like they have done an awful job showing it off. At E3 it looked like a movie. Even at the most recent event where you could finally see that it was an action game it sounds like they overpowered your character, something IGN mentioned in their coverage, which may have made it seem too easy and mindless.

I think it'll have some lower scores but some will give it pretty high marks is my prediction.

#90 Posted by Rowr (5478 posts) -

ZOO TYCOON OUT OF NOWHERE LAUNCH TITLE OF THE YEAR

#91 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3748 posts) -

@rowr said:

ZOO TYCOON OUT OF NOWHERE LAUNCH TITLE OF THE YEAR

The outlets that have been paying attention to this game have been really praising it. Weekend Confirmed has gone in depth on this game two weeks in a row and it's been all love.

I think a lot of outlets just walked past it or something, it seems like. I find that a bit weird. I get that it could be a kid game but it is a Tycoon game and at least I am always down for some of that genre.

#92 Edited by Marokai (2805 posts) -

It's great to hear that DR3 runs acceptably, though I can't exactly blame people for worrying about the performance in the run-up to release. If Digital Foundry was just wrong, it wasn't exactly some sort of console war conspiracy. They should definitely stop pre-release stuff, though.

#93 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

Little sad I can't play Dead Rising 3 on my ps4. That's the one game so far that I would really like to play on there (not much of a driving sim fan). Anyway I hope both these consoles do well. The better these consoles do the more and better games we get

#94 Edited by Chaser324 (6325 posts) -

@marokai said:

It's great to hear that DR3 runs acceptably, though I can't exactly blame people for worrying about the performance in the run-up to release. If Digital Foundry was just wrong, it wasn't exactly some sort of console war conspiracy. They should definitely stop pre-release stuff, though.

The reviews definitely make it seem like DF was maybe a little irresponsible in not making it clear that their article was based on a pre-release version.

However, it's entirely possible that it wasn't DF's fault. Capcom and/or Microsoft may have not properly communicated that to be the case, or the development team may have been unsure about whether or not they would be able to complete a patch in time for release.

#95 Posted by Tesla (1907 posts) -

Nice to see Dead Rising and Killer Instinct getting good scores, looks like I'll be picking those up when I get an XB1.

#96 Posted by ericdrum (404 posts) -

@chaser324: Your point really illustrates the value of reviews and thus previews in gaming. I suppose that I like hearing about concepts in previews, but little more than that. On consoles, when it comes to tech issues, I only want to hear about it if it's a release build on consumer hardware.

#97 Edited by bigjeffrey (4778 posts) -

@marokai said:

- From EDGE review

• game maintains a steady 30fps (once you’ve downloaded the day-one patch), even during busy scenes, and once you’re playing there are no loading times to interrupt your journey.
#98 Posted by Marokai (2805 posts) -

@bigjeffrey: Ugh. This was what I was referring to. It's not somehow evil console war FUD that led people to think the game might have technical issues. There are plenty of times to have a satisfying, salt-laden "I told you so!" but this is not one of them.

#99 Posted by ez123 (1945 posts) -

It'll be interesting to see if the KI gamble pays off. Reviews seem to effect popularity quite a bit and if they held the game back and released it with the 2 other characters and story mode, it would have scored better.

I'm going to play LocoCycle at some point. Can't get why they went $20 with that one, I'll get it at 5 like Comic Jumper.

#100 Edited by GaspoweR (2803 posts) -

@amyggen said:

Dead Rising 3 is getting the reviews I'm guessing most of us expected: It's a good game with lots of flaws, 7/10-ish on average.

Killer Instinct is the most interesting game for me today. I'm not a fan of the franchise, but what they've shown has looked pretty good. A severe lack of characters will probably hurt it though.

I think the fact that this is a downloadable only game makes this flexible that they can keep adding characters after the fact and then you either pay for the whole game or go the microtransaction route by buying character packs. Sure the latter is more expensive if you buy all character packs instead of just buying the game but its cheaper if you're only planning to play with a few choice characters or focusing on just one character.

Also, "ironically" the strongest launch games on both consoles have been downloadable-only (e.g. Resogun, Killer Instinct)

@ez123: The weird thing about Killer Instinct is that the way they are releasing the game feels like every other competitive free-to-play game that it starts somewhat alright and over time they'll keep adding more characters and features (ala League of Legends, DOTA) and the game ends up being different a year from now than compared at launch.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.