Xbox One Reviews

#151 Posted by EXTomar (4922 posts) -

@extomar said:

@manhattan_project said:

@extomar said:

I didn't say they stopped watching TV but that their habits have changed. They aren't watching HBO or Showtime or sports or whatever from mini-sat or cable but from the Internet.

Thats not true at all. The Walkinjg Dead and Breaking Bad are both shows with huge ratings that people watch(ed) live on their TV while talking about it on Twitter and Facebook. And as for sports Sunday Night Football (and all football really) is getting higher TV ratings than ever before.

You realize "huge rankings" on cable are only millions. That doesn't discredit how popular these shows but that the reality is many are:

- A small amount are actually watching it "live" at the moment. The comments you see on FB and Twitter are actually only thousands out of millions who watched.

- A huge amount are actually watching it "time shifted" or "archived" or streamed at some later date and often times include the others. These are actually in the tens of millions views.

Sports are another beast but bringing this back to XBox One, who is going to watch a football game with others while trying to play something at the same time? You would have to be alone and have the game on as "background noise" even in PIP mode.

But whatever, this is a feature that I suspect many can't or won't be able to use on the XBox One. Like the Kinect, there are going to be a few who can figure out something really useful for it but for many others it will be an ignored because they can't use it or have no use for it let alone easier to accomplish in software as an app instead of multiple interconnected devices.

"Only millions" You say that as if its one or two million. This seasons Walking Dead premiere pulled in over 16 million not including time shifted views. Last season it averaged over 11 million an episode, a number this season is going to destroy. And its just the most watched show on cable.

Link - this also includes Twitter and Facebook numbers.

First off unsaid, you forget one tiny little detail about all of this: The world is round. People on the east cost will watch it at different time than the west cost. Which time is "live"?

So what is the argument here? I don't see the argument because 16 million watched it "off the air" but I suspect a couple of hundred million will watch the whole of Season 4 through disks and streaming.

#152 Edited by KittyVonDoom (445 posts) -

@flacracker said:

It always looked like a bad game. I don't know how anybody saw that Lococycle trailer and said "This looks awesome!"

You could say the same thing about Twisted Pixel in-general.

#153 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1596 posts) -

Saw the words "Xbox Uno" and got really excited there was an unannounced UNO sequel coming to Xbox One fora second...

#154 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5903 posts) -

Glad to hear there's a few good games for the Xbox One's launch.

#155 Posted by xyzygy (10066 posts) -

Really glad to see that Killer Instinct, DR3, and even Zoo Tycoon are getting great reviews!!! Pumped! We all know that Forza will do well, so there's just the question of Ryse. Even if Ryse sucks these are some pretty awesome reviews already.

Still though, I will definitely be picking Crimson Dragon up. I read a Destructoid review that kind of really spoke to what I loved about Orta, and they had a ton of good things to say about it. So I'm also excited for that.

Lococyle looked like shit from the get go and Powerstar Golf.... is whatever.

#156 Posted by xyzygy (10066 posts) -

@kmg90 said:

The thing with Dead Rising 3 that people are up in arms about is the lack of technical fidelity for game that supposedly was a last-gen game ported to the "next-gen"....

How is the performance so abysmal? Why should one shell out $500+ $60 for an experience one arguably could get on current gen platforms (Dead Rising 2,OTR,CW)?

Also nothing says confidence like holding the reviews back until night of launch of a system...

You're asking why the performance is "so abysmal" after merely seconds of saying that it was supposedly a last gen game port to next gen. There's your answer. Wait til DR4 when it's built ground up for next gen, if the rumours of it being built for last gen are true.

#157 Edited by Fearbeard (834 posts) -
@nictel said:

"Zoo Tycoon is repetitive and a little glitchy; it's simple and sometimes irritating. " 8/10 HUH Review =/= Score

I'll post the rest of that paragraph. You might understand the score better if you read more then one sentence.

"It's also a smartly designed simulator, accessible for all. It's charming and sweet, to the point that I never wanted to stop playing — even when my colleagues demanded we use the console for one of the bigger launch titles."

Also the late embargo for Ryse doesn't bode too well for the game. Either they just want to spread the news out a bit more, or they want as few people as possible to read the reviews before the midnight launch.

#158 Posted by NeptunePirate (13 posts) -

I'm excited that Dead Rising and Killer Instinct are getting good reviews. Launch will be great.

#159 Edited by ProfessorEss (7472 posts) -

@nictel said:

"Zoo Tycoon is repetitive and a little glitchy; it's simple and sometimes irritating. " 8/10 HUH Review =/= Score

Cmon man, the next sentence in that review is "It's also a smartly designed simulator, accessible for all. It's charming and sweet, to the point that I never wanted to stop playing".

"I never wanted to stop playing" was in the very next sentence.

#160 Posted by Deranged (1856 posts) -

Also the late embargo for Ryse doesn't bode too well for the game. Either they just want to spread the news out a bit more, or they want as few people as possible to read the reviews before the midnight launch.

I don't know, watching Gamespot's stream and Kevin play through the game a bit might be a different story. He seemed relatively impressed after spending some more time and talking about how the contextual executions are more than they are made out to be.

#161 Posted by AMyggen (3532 posts) -

I think the big factor with Ryse will be the amount of content. If it's only about three hours I can see it getting savaged by reviewers. If it's a more normal lenght I'm guesaing it'll get 7s.

#162 Edited by Nasar7 (2767 posts) -

Lococycle seems like 2 hours of dumb fun, but why does it look like an iOS game?

#163 Posted by BigJeffrey (5148 posts) -

@nasar7: its a 360 arcade game. Also I think its time for beard 2.0. (Twisted pixel engine)

#164 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3972 posts) -

@professoress said:

@nictel said:

"Zoo Tycoon is repetitive and a little glitchy; it's simple and sometimes irritating. " 8/10 HUH Review =/= Score

Cmon man, the next sentence in that review is "It's also a smartly designed simulator, accessible for all. It's charming and sweet, to the point that I never wanted to stop playing".

"I never wanted to stop playing" was in the very next sentence.

Console Warz will quote what they wanna quote.

@xyzygy said:

@kmg90 said:

The thing with Dead Rising 3 that people are up in arms about is the lack of technical fidelity for game that supposedly was a last-gen game ported to the "next-gen"....

How is the performance so abysmal? Why should one shell out $500+ $60 for an experience one arguably could get on current gen platforms (Dead Rising 2,OTR,CW)?

Also nothing says confidence like holding the reviews back until night of launch of a system...

You're asking why the performance is "so abysmal" after merely seconds of saying that it was supposedly a last gen game port to next gen. There's your answer. Wait til DR4 when it's built ground up for next gen, if the rumours of it being built for last gen are true.

Or performance is just not abysmal, the game is almost always at 30 fps. Not the prettiest game IQ wise or anything but I guess people don't think having the number of characters on screen the game has on screen is impressive when it is very hard to do. But hey, console warz right.

If they had even played DR 1 or 2 they'd know those games didn't even have good frame rates and they had way fewer zombies on screen.

#165 Posted by Deranged (1856 posts) -

@amyggen said:

I think the big factor with Ryse will be the amount of content. If it's only about three hours I can see it getting savaged by reviewers. If it's a more normal lenght I'm guesaing it'll get 7s.

Is that the assumed length? I don't know. Kevin played the first chapter and a bit of the second for a little over half an hour. Now, I'm not sure if they've confirmed how many chapters there are but I'd hope that assumption is wrong.

#166 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

I watched a couple of the DR3 reviews and I have to say, it looked pretty fun. The frame rate jankiness is an issue but I spent the last 5 years gaming on shitty laptops so I'm pretty used to that. Don't know when I'll get to play any of these next gen games though, don't know anyone who is interested in upgrading either way any time soon.

#167 Posted by Humanity (9871 posts) -

@flacracker said:

It always looked like a bad game. I don't know how anybody saw that Lococycle trailer and said "This looks awesome!"

You could say the same thing about Twisted Pixel in-general.

I think LocoCycle was just on a whole 'nother level. From the very start, everything I saw about the game looked bad and not in a fun corny way, but jsut bad. FMV isn't always going to carry that weight.

#168 Posted by Chaser324 (6716 posts) -

@deranged said:

@amyggen said:

I think the big factor with Ryse will be the amount of content. If it's only about three hours I can see it getting savaged by reviewers. If it's a more normal lenght I'm guesaing it'll get 7s.

Is that the assumed length? I don't know. Kevin played the first chapter and a bit of the second for a little over half an hour. Now, I'm not sure if they've confirmed how many chapters there are but I'd hope that assumption is wrong.

Apparently it's based on French site JeuxVideo saying it took them 1.5 hours to play through half of the chapters in the game. I've seen other tweets saying that it's closer to 7-8 hours.

If you want the straight word on it, your best bet is probably to just wait on some official reviews on Thursday.

Moderator
#169 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3972 posts) -

It seems like Twisted Pixel needs to focus on simple mechanics for their games. Every time they aim for more they fall short.

#171 Posted by AgnosticJesus (545 posts) -

@artisanbreads: They should make a sequel to The Gunstringer. They could do so much more with the new Kinect.

#172 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3972 posts) -

@artisanbreads: They should make a sequel to The Gunstringer. They could do so much more with the new Kinect.

Yeah that one was simple and worked well. Given that the new Kinect seems to work way better I would like to see that.

Really I'd like to see them do something Double Fine Happy Action Theater like and make it even less gamey. Put you right in the bad FMV!

#173 Posted by Fram (730 posts) -

Thanks to the OP for this thread, it's really well put together!

I will also reiterate the fact that Mick Gordon is a god, and the Killer Instinct soundtrack justifies the purchase of a new console.

#174 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

So is the rest of the internet freaking out about the fact that Xbone games are reviewing better yet?

#175 Edited by Manhattan_Project (2169 posts) -

@extomar said:

First off unsaid, you forget one tiny little detail about all of this: The world is round. People on the east cost will watch it at different time than the west cost. Which time is "live"?

So what is the argument here? I don't see the argument because 16 million watched it "off the air" but I suspect a couple of hundred million will watch the whole of Season 4 through disks and streaming.

I'll just assume you're asking me what time The Walking Dead airs because I don't know what busted ass cable/sat provider has a west coast only AMC and east coast only AMC, it just airs at 9 pm est, 6 pm pst on AMC. Or maybe you're just being obtuse for the sake of your argument, at this point I'm not sure.

And while more people over the lifetime of the show may watch it on disc or streaming, it doesn't change the fact that 11 - 16 million people sit down every week to watch a cable show. More than at any other point in cables history. Also "hundreds of millions" of people is probably unlikely.

The point is that this argument that people are leaving TV and switching to streaming is bullshit. Yes, some people have done that, but for the most part the only thing thats changed is that now people sit down and watch the Walking Dead, and then later DVR or stream other shows.

I know this is wildly off topic so I apologize to everyone else in this thread.

#176 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3972 posts) -

@funkasaurasrex said:

So is the rest of the internet freaking out about the fact that Xbone games are reviewing better yet?

Check out GAF for some good laughs.

Or even this site's Knack review comment section where people are coming up with some very inventive attacks on Alex and interesting defenses.

#177 Posted by RadecAU (92 posts) -

I'm pleasantly surprised by the Killer Instinct and Zoo Tycoon reviews, I had expected Killer Instinct to be junk, but maybe I just had a bad impression from that uncomfortable e3 demo. I remember having heaps of fun with Zoo Tycoon as a kid so I'll be interested in checking it out a little while after launch when things quite down a bit.

#178 Edited by ViciousBearMauling (1203 posts) -

Fighting game reviews are not reliable in any way.

SFxT got great reviews....

#179 Edited by BigJeffrey (5148 posts) -

@artisanbreads

from Alex on twitter

@alex_navarro: Knack review commenter compares it favorably to Dark Souls and even calls it "Knack Souls" and oh god just fuck everything right now.

#180 Posted by mrcraggle (1974 posts) -

I'm actually pretty surprised over the high ratings DR3 is receiving when the press were originally very down on it after demos with poor performance issues and the recent videos from DF where the frame dropped to as low as 10fps but was mostly in the high teens to low 20s. It also seems the whole internet exploding over 720p/30fps means jack shit in the scheme of things. At this point however, a new DR does nothing for me with reviews stating the games have issues that still haven't been addressed after 2 main games, a re-telling of the 2nd and several DLC releases.

KI is another one I'm surprised by, especially with the overall lack of content in the final game that is coming later on. Having seen plenty of that game from Maximillian (aka Miles923) on Youtube, I just don't think that game is for me in the same way I don't really care about the Vs. games.

#181 Posted by Nictel (2430 posts) -

@artisanbreads: @fearbeard: @professoress: Not everything is console wars. I read the entire review. Perhaps I should have used a question mark instead. When I read the review I don't think it comes of as a good game. Other reviews do a better job of that.

#182 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3972 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

@artisanbreads

from Alex on twitter

@alex_navarro: Knack review commenter compares it favorably to Dark Souls and even calls it "Knack Souls" and oh god just fuck everything right now.

So funny. That comment is amazing too.

@mrcraggle said:

I'm actually pretty surprised over the high ratings DR3 is receiving when the press were originally very down on it after demos with poor performance issues and the recent videos from DF where the frame dropped to as low as 10fps but was mostly in the high teens to low 20s. It also seems the whole internet exploding over 720p/30fps means jack shit in the scheme of things. At this point however, a new DR does nothing for me with reviews stating the games have issues that still haven't been addressed after 2 main games, a re-telling of the 2nd and several DLC releases.

The game runs at 30 FPS. DF was using old code and trying to act like they weren't. Pretty crap. If they are trying to be some authority on visuals they shouldn't look at preview code and act like it's final.

The Giant Bomb dudes all turned around on the game positively after they recently saw it just because the performance was so much better.

#183 Edited by mrcraggle (1974 posts) -

@artisanbreads: I saw another post that the DR3 devs released a patch to improve the frame rate which just to show you how rushed these launches are with consoles missing features and games missing content only to be patched at a later date. Not the greatest of starts for either system I'll say that much.

#184 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3972 posts) -

@artisanbreads: I saw another post that the DR3 devs released a patch to improve the frame rate which just to show you how rushed these launches are with consoles missing features and games missing content only to be patched at a later date. Not the greatest of starts for either system I'll say that much.

I guess? By the time the game comes out it runs at 30 FPS. No complaints for me. I don't care how a game performs technically in previews as long as its good by release.

#185 Posted by Krullban (1062 posts) -

So is the rest of the internet freaking out about the fact that Xbone games are reviewing better yet?

NeoGAF is a joy to read.

#186 Edited by ch3burashka (5180 posts) -

Bummed that Lococycle is getting such shit reviews.

The fact that Killer Instinct is already being reviewed and we still haven't seen a Fulgore model is making me very angry.

#187 Edited by PillClinton (3292 posts) -

THIS is a nice post MAN.

#188 Posted by BigJeffrey (5148 posts) -
#189 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4297 posts) -

@ch3burashka said:

Bummed that Lococycle is getting such shit reviews.

The fact that Killer Instinct is already being reviewed and we still haven't seen a Fulgore model is making me very angry.

Spinal and Fulgore are the 7th and 8th characters. I saw that Spinal is supposed to get released in January, with Fulgore in March.. So, I wouldn't expect more pictures until like early January.. (Never mind..) Truthiness.

#190 Edited by Vuud (2035 posts) -

Some classy-ass wood paneling is the only thing that would get me to consider the XONE. Damn I miss wood paneling.

#191 Edited by RadecAU (92 posts) -

More positive KI impressions from Jeff:

#192 Edited by Deranged (1856 posts) -

@radecau: You have no idea how happy this makes me, I'm almost tempted to straight up buy the $40 version of the game BUT NO MONIEZ!

#193 Edited by BigJeffrey (5148 posts) -

@deranged: fuck it, was going to get crimson dragon but gonna go for the $40 version.

#194 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3972 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

@deranged: fuck it, was going to get crimson dragon but gonna go for the $40 version.

KI already has the F2P pricing stuff and I think Crimson Dragon is very primed to be on the Xbox LIVE Games for Gold giveaway system very soon.

Making the logic jump that Xbox will start upping their game on the rate that games go up on that service to PS plus levels. Lets hope that happens.

#195 Posted by AgnosticJesus (545 posts) -

Anyone know what the difference is between the $20 and $40 versions of KI?

#196 Edited by Chaser324 (6716 posts) -

@agnosticjesus: The $20 version is the first eight characters. For $40, you also get costumes/accessories and the original arcade game.

Moderator
#197 Edited by Deranged (1856 posts) -

Anyone know what the difference is between the $20 and $40 versions of KI?

$40 version comes with all characters original KI, costumes, and accessories.

#199 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4297 posts) -

Anyone know what the difference is between the $20 and $40 versions of KI?

The $40 version has old-style classic-costumes from the 90's on the new models. And Original KI, decked with all the rezzing options to make it look like it has shitty TV scan-lines some people like, and it has online play too.

#200 Edited by BigJeffrey (5148 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.