Xbox One Reviews

#201 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (3776 posts) -

@bigjeffrey: Uhh?! I thought it was.. Hm. You might be right?.

#202 Posted by kishinfoulux (2505 posts) -

@radecau said:

More positive KI impressions from Jeff:

I was really happy when I saw that tweet. He seemed super down on Killer Instinct (hell most games media did) the moment it was announced. Glad to see he gave it a fair shake and is enjoying it. Looking forward to the Quick Look.

@deranged: fuck it, was going to get crimson dragon but gonna go for the $40 version.

I'd say it'd be better to get two games instead of one, especially since Crimson Dragon has a lot of replayability.

#203 Posted by AgnosticJesus (545 posts) -

That's a good deal for $40. KI was one of my favorite arcade games back in the day and I loved the N64 game. I'm going to pass on Crimson Dragon for now and get the $40 version.

#205 Posted by sjwho2 (46 posts) -

Surprising that Crimson Dragon didn't do well.

Thought another starfox game would have gotten some nice reviews.

#206 Posted by Fram (748 posts) -

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that they're looking into patching online multiplayer into original KI at some stage.

#207 Posted by Butano (1786 posts) -

Hot damn that Killer Instinct soundtrack is badass! Definitely will be looking forward to the QL of it tomorrow from Jeff.

#208 Posted by BigJeffrey (5170 posts) -

Yeah they said they wanted to add online, that probably won't be until march after the remaining characters come out

#209 Posted by zombie2011 (5047 posts) -

Yeah they said they wanted to add online, that probably won't be until march after the remaining characters come out

KI doesn't have online?

#210 Posted by RadecAU (92 posts) -

@zombie2011: Just on the original version you get as extra when you buy the $40 version, the main game has online.

#211 Posted by FuriousJodo (124 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

KI doesn't have online?

I think they are talking about KI Classic (which you get with the $40 KI package).

#212 Edited by Vinny_Says (5721 posts) -

@zombie2011 said:

@bigjeffrey said:

KI doesn't have online?

I think they are talking about KI Classic (which you get with the $40 KI package).

Yo guys that free killer instinct microsoft gave me isn't the $40 version with KI Classic right? Just wanted to clear it up....

#213 Edited by BigJeffrey (5170 posts) -

@vinny_says: Yes it is the $20 Version, but if you wanted the $40 version you only pay $20.

#214 Posted by kishinfoulux (2505 posts) -

@sjwho2 said:

Surprising that Crimson Dragon didn't do well.

Thought another starfox game would have gotten some nice reviews.

Watched them play it on the Gamespot stream and my suspicions were confirmed. Dude was just bad at the game. He had a max level dragon and was still getting his shit pushed in. That kind of says it all. Also he said the game wasn't very deep, or something similar even though there is a level system, multiple dragons, evolutions, different attributes, skills, etc. He said he was a big fan of Panzer Dragoon and honestly it just sounded like he wanted a carbon copy of that. He's entitled to his opinion, but it's hard to take seriously (and why I never take reviewers seriously).

It just bums me out because I know there are people who only go by reviews or scores and will dismiss the game, without giving it a shot.

#215 Edited by FuriousJodo (124 posts) -

It looked awfully Panzer Dragoon-y to me, but I also was never a giant fan of those games.

#216 Posted by LiquidPrince (16155 posts) -

@humanity: it's a callback to a dumb thrown away joke made in the persona endurance run, i like to keep said dumb joke alive, whoa is me.

Don't worry. I like the joke.

#217 Posted by Humanity (10037 posts) -

@bigjeffrey said:

@humanity: it's a callback to a dumb thrown away joke made in the persona endurance run, i like to keep said dumb joke alive, whoa is me.

Don't worry. I like the joke.

Both of you are terrible, stop trying to have fun on the forums please.

#218 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2173 posts) -

Getting my riot shield and popcorn ready for the NeoGaf shit storm after Polygon gives the Xbox One a higher score.

#219 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3981 posts) -

@manhattan_project said:

Getting my riot shield and popcorn ready for the NeoGaf shit storm after Polygon gives the Xbox One a higher score.

Drink every time Arthur Gies is called a shill.

(I'm not responsible for liver failure)

#220 Edited by Humanity (10037 posts) -

@manhattan_project said:

Drink every time Arthur Gies is called a shill.

(I'm not responsible for liver failure)

I'm already dead from the time I drank every time Arthur Gies made completely outlandish claims about a game being misogynistic and/or sexist.

#221 Posted by Sammo21 (3524 posts) -

I am sure that Arthur Gies is going to be incredibly excited for Xbox One, no matter how good or bad it is.

#222 Edited by Ben_H (3427 posts) -

Oh man, now I kinda want one of these even though I know it will just inevitably turn into my Forza machine if I do get it.

Also, that Killer Instinct music is way better than I was anticipating.

#223 Posted by ProfessorEss (7505 posts) -

@sammo21 said:

I am sure that Arthur Gies is going to be incredibly excited for Xbox One, no matter how good or bad it is.

Shit, does this count as a drink already?

#224 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3981 posts) -

@sammo21 said:

Shit, does this count as a drink already?

Sure does!

#225 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

I'm kind of pissed off at Giant Bomb for hating on Killer Instict and then pulling a 180. I had to decide between PS4 and Xbox and all the dumb hate they were generating on the game swayed me toward PS4. Now they're all "oh, surprise! it's great!".

I should have just trusted myself.

#226 Posted by Gonmog (602 posts) -

I'm kind of pissed off at Giant Bomb for hating on Killer Instict and then pulling a 180. I had to decide between PS4 and Xbox and all the dumb hate they were generating on the game swayed me toward PS4. Now they're all "oh, surprise! it's great!".

Really? I mean really? You have to be joking. You based your 400$ buy on what a group thought of ONE game that was not even out yet? I can not even start to understand this line of thinking. At all.

#227 Posted by Chaser324 (6739 posts) -

How can you blame them? There were a ton of reasons to doubt Killer Instinct, and the reviews are by no means universally positive (although continued content updates could address most reviewers' biggest issue).

#229 Posted by Sammo21 (3524 posts) -

@artisanbreads: When I used to listen to Rebel FM it was actually a drinking game for when he shit on anything related to Sony. Typically we were close to hammered by the end of most of their podcasts.

#230 Posted by Syed117 (391 posts) -

Took some time and watched the Killer Instinct quick look and I was really surprised. I'm glad Jeff seemed really positive.

Looks like a lot of fun. I was just going to download the free version with the single character, but I'm definitely going to pick it up now.

$20? That seems perfectly fine.

#231 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3981 posts) -
@sammo21 said:

@artisanbreads: When I used to listen to Rebel FM it was actually a drinking game for when he shit on anything related to Sony. Typically we were close to hammered by the end of most of their podcasts.

I was making fun of people who say this FYI.

#232 Posted by Sammo21 (3524 posts) -

@artisanbreads: Really? I didn't notice the blatant transparency of your comment ><

#233 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3981 posts) -

@sammo21 said:

@artisanbreads: Really? I didn't notice the blatant transparency of your comment ><

Just checking. Most people who would say something like that seem like the type who wouldn't notice or think people could feel otherwise.

Cheers guy.

#234 Edited by MattSchwabby (118 posts) -

@manhattan_project: Do we know when their review goes up? I thought the console embargo lifted sometime today. Really curious what conclusions some of the press are going to make about the system, but I also have a nefarious interest in the reviews as well. This is a douchey thing to say, but I really want the xbone to get a better score than the ps4, but not because I give a shit about one console over the other, its because I am jumping out of my chair excited for the possible butthurt that will result on GAF. Sometimes I think I can actually hear the mouth breathing behind some of the comments.

That being said I am getting both consoles

#235 Posted by SomeJerk (3388 posts) -

Feature-wise I'd award the Xbone a higher score than the PS4 if I lived in the US, watched sports, cared nothing about Twitch and thought PS4 or PC gaming didnt exist and that last generation games looked and moved well enough. What I'm trying to say is, I'll understand if it gets 8/10 compared to the PS4s 7.5/10, and that Polygon no way in hell spent $750k on making a documentary about their site.

#236 Edited by Syed117 (391 posts) -

@mattschwabby said:

@manhattan_project: Do we know when their review goes up? I thought the console embargo lifted sometime today. Really curious what conclusions some of the press are going to make about the system, but I also have a nefarious interest in the reviews as well. This is a douchey thing to say, but I really want the xbone to get a better score than the ps4, but not because I give a shit about one console over the other, its because I am jumping out of my chair excited for the possible butthurt that will result on GAF. Sometimes I think I can actually hear the mouth breathing behind some of the comments.

haha. I know what you mean. I have my PS4 already, but I would love to see the xbox one score higher just to see the reactions. Sony fans tend to overreact and the amount of threads they create on Neogaf attempting to justify their purchases is incredible.

Polygon giving it a higher score will cause a meltdown. I think reviews go up tonight at midnight eastern time.

Either way, tonight will be entertaining.

@somejerk said:

Feature-wise I'd award the Xbone a higher score than the PS4 if I lived in the US, watched sports, cared nothing about Twitch and thought PS4 or PC gaming didnt exist and that last generation games looked and moved well enough. What I'm trying to say is, I'll understand if it gets 8/10 compared to the PS4s 7.5/10, and that Polygon no way in hell spent $750k on making a documentary about their site.

It's easy to selectively ignore what you want to to make yourself feel better.

But hey, more power to you right?

#237 Edited by Nictel (2433 posts) -

@syed117 said:

@mattschwabby said:

haha. I know what you mean. I have my PS4 already, but I would love to see the xbox one score higher just to see the reactions. Sony fans tend to overreact and the amount of threads they create on Neogaf attempting to justify their purchases is incredible.

Polygon giving it a higher score will cause a meltdown. I think reviews go up tonight at midnight eastern time.

They have a better launch game line up, unless the UI/OS is horribly broken I can't see how it won't. They (Gies) already said that "720p doesn't matter" so no points deducted for that.

#238 Edited by Syed117 (391 posts) -

@nictel said:

@syed117 said:

@mattschwabby said:

They have a better launch game line up, unless the UI/OS is horribly broken I can't see how it won't. They (Gies) already said that "720p doesn't matter" so no points deducted for that.

Yeah, I like the speed of the PS4 UI, but it's an unorganized mess that is missing a lot in terms of usability. The 360 still does a lot of things better than the PS4.

Somehow I don't see Microsoft messing up the things they've done right for years.

I'm more curious about the other stuff. They hyped up the multitasking, switching, voice recognition and a ton of other features. It simply does so much more than the PS4 and that could hurt it if those things don't live up to expectations.

#239 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -
@syed117 said:

@mattschwabby said:

@somejerk said:

It's easy to selectively ignore what you want to to make yourself feel better.

But hey, more power to you right?

I dunno man, he put it a bit childishly, but even last generation living in the uk? owning 360 felt like half a console compared to what the americans had, likely to be the same this time around

#240 Posted by StingingVelvet (574 posts) -

Dead Rising 3 must be pretty damn fun to overcome how kind of ugly and choppy it is. Glad to hear it. By the time I get a One (one to two years) it should be a pretty cheap bit of zombie hacking. Looks a loooot like the first two, but that's launch games for ya.

KIller Instinct being decent is surprising. Thought that was a bomb for sure. I'm not into fighting games but that's good for launch purchasers, especially since it has such a large free portion. Resogun being free on PS4 with the included Plus trial code means each system has some free digital love out of the gate. Good stuff.

#241 Posted by kishinfoulux (2505 posts) -

@jazgalaxy said:

How can you blame them? There were a ton of reasons to doubt Killer Instinct, and the reviews are by no means universally positive (although continued content updates could address most reviewers' biggest issue).

Killer Instinct was always a good game. Never knew why the media ran with the "oh it always sucked" narrative. Them prejudging it just shows their constant bias.

Also I totally expect the XB1 to get a higher review score then the PS4 and it probably should. It's a lot more ambitious then what Sony is doing.

#242 Posted by Sammo21 (3524 posts) -

So apparently Twitch integration isn't a launch feature on the Xbone? I literally just found this out from looking at Phillip Kollar's twitter feed.

#244 Posted by Nictel (2433 posts) -

@syed117 said:

@nictel said:

@syed117 said:

@mattschwabby said:

Yeah, I like the speed of the PS4 UI, but it's an unorganized mess that is missing a lot in terms of usability. The 360 still does a lot of things better than the PS4.

Somehow I don't see Microsoft messing up the things they've done right for years.

I'm more curious about the other stuff. They hyped up the multitasking, switching, voice recognition and a ton of other features. It simply does so much more than the PS4 and that could hurt it if those things don't live up to expectations.

Really? See I never understood that, I prefer the PS3 UI over the 360 UI. I know I am a minority but I like the simplicity and cleanness on the PS3. I always feel there are a million different things happening on the 360 UI, it just feels too 'chaotic' for me.

#245 Posted by BRich (440 posts) -

@nictel said:

@syed117 said:

@nictel said:

@syed117 said:

@mattschwabby said:

Really? See I never understood that, I prefer the PS3 UI over the 360 UI. I know I am a minority but I like the simplicity and cleanness on the PS3. I always feel there are a million different things happening on the 360 UI, it just feels too 'chaotic' for me.

I am staying up just for the uproar. I can't see Polygon giving it anything under an 8.5 and it's going to be a hell of a thing to witness.

#246 Posted by Manhattan_Project (2173 posts) -
#247 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@brich: MY bet is 8.5 to 9 calling it a masterpiece^^

#248 Edited by Humanity (10037 posts) -

@darji said:

What if it actually is a better console? I mean everyone is laughing it up like it's an impossible notion that the XBO will be good in any way, while the PS4 hasn't exactly been dropping any jaws.

#249 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@humanity said:

@darji said:

What if it actually a better console? I mean everything is laughing it up like it's an impossible notion that the XBO will be good in any way, while the PS4 hasn't exactly been dropping any jaws.

Quality wise and on technical side wise it does. For example it is the first device in the world with actual DTs-HD MAster Audio 7.1 decoder. IT uses AMds new audio technique as well. it uses GDDR 5 ram and so on. What it does not deliver on are great launch games but that should normally not influence a review of a hardware piece.

The One has many smaller flaws for sure. For example your voice commands are region locked to your store region as the newest news about the console. But even without these flaws the PS4 is just the better and more powerful hardware in general. And that is no console war this is a fact if you look at the specs.

edit: Even if you go with games why not also include future lineup in the next 6 month. Indy support and so on? There is nothing coming out on Xbox One for a long time while the Ps4 constantly gets great Indie games in the coming weeks and months.

#250 Posted by Nictel (2433 posts) -

@humanity said:

@darji said:

What if it actually a better console? I mean everything is laughing it up like it's an impossible notion that the XBO will be good in any way, while the PS4 hasn't exactly been dropping any jaws.

You shouldn't forget that for a lot of people in Europe PS3 > 360. We (especially mainland Europe) get none of the TV or voice control features and many of the apps are US only. So when MS went 'TVTVTV and all in one entertainment solution' we heard "not for us, not for us, not for us". Then there's Kinect which is just another way for the NSA to spy on us and I am only half joking there. So I think mainland Europeans will always be a bit skeptical at US MS console reviews, just cause we don't get the same package.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.