Xbox One Twitch streaming delayed to 2014

#1 Posted by jimmyfenix (3851 posts) -

Streaming gameplay from Xbox One via the Twitch app has been delayed to 2014, Microsoft has announced.

Explaining the delay, the company said it was working to "ensure the initial Twitch on Xbox One broadcasting experience meets the expectations of the Twitch community". Microsoft's goal is to enable streaming during the first part of 2014.

In making the announcement, Microsoft revealed the ability for Twitch spectators to earn media achievements on Xbox One. If you watch through the night via Twitch you earn theNight Owl achievement, for example. If you join 100,000 viewers simultaneously watching a broadcast on Twitch, you earn the Standing Room Only achievement.

There are 10 media achievements linked to Twitch at launch (for zero gamerscore). The other eight are:

• Watch one hour of live video on Twitch to become a Newcomer
  • Watch 10 hours of live video on Twitch for Competitive
  • Watch 100 hours of live video on Twitch for Best Viewer
  • Watch one hour of live video on Twitch channels that have less than 10 viewers to be the Hipster
  • Watch 10 hours of live video on Twitch channels that have less than 10 viewers and become the Talent Scout
  • Max Bandwidth is received by watching a single channel on Twitch for more than eight hours consecutively
  • Around The Clock: watch at least one minute of live video on Twitch in each hour of a full day
  • Prime Time: watch a total of 10 hours of live video on Twitch between peak viewing hours from 7:30 to 11:30 p.m., on a weekday

The Twitch app, which you need an Xbox Live Gold subscription to access, uses the Xbox One's unique features, such as Snap mode and instant switching.

Xbox One instant switching means you can jump from one activity into Twitch using your voice, by saying "Xbox, go to Twitch".

Source

I am more fascinated about the achievements. I predict 100 points for watching 100 hours of twitch streams.

#2 Posted by Corvak (972 posts) -

I predict...lots of Xbox Ones left with streams open, not being actively watched.

Will it let you see all of twitch, or just Xbox One streams? PS4 only shows PS4 streams at launch.

#3 Posted by erbarad (26 posts) -

Hurr durr yadayada xbox is dead.

#4 Posted by Nictel (2399 posts) -

• Around The Clock: watch at least one minute of live video on Twitch in each hour of a full day

Lol, I'll get that next Child's Play event :P

#5 Posted by crithon (3111 posts) -

whoopse....... so uh..... dropped the ball there. So uh.... the Killer Instinct streamers that's been showcasing the game for months now? That's running on some sort of other hardware?

#6 Posted by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

I am more fascinated about the achievements. I predict 100 points for watching 100 hours of twitch streams.

Media achievements on Xbox One don't add to your gamerscore. They're all 0 point achievements. As far as I'm aware, the only none gaming achievement that offers points is the Day One 100 point achievement with the Day One consoles.

#7 Posted by EXTomar (4629 posts) -

Those achievements where dumb anyway but I'm not sure why it is that way since Twitch has had this level of integration for awhile. You could watch a game of Dota 2 on Twitch and still be eligible for prizes as if you were sitting in client.

#8 Edited by Istealdreams (148 posts) -
@erbarad said:

Hurr durr yadayada xbox is dead.

obviously Xbox One isn't dead because of this, but it does make it an even bigger Get for PS4. Of everything out there, Twitch streaming has been getting the most attention, and the ease to start it is unparalleled. I was really looking forward to having this on xbox for KI streams, and i'm pretty disappointed its not there...

#9 Edited by Evilsbane (4579 posts) -
We dig dig dig dig dig dig dig our grave the whole day through 
To dig dig dig dig dig dig dig is what Microsoft likes to do
It ain't no trick to get twitch quick
If you dig dig dig with a shader or a pixel
In a Time! In a Time! In a Time! In a Time!
Where a million PS4s. . .shine!
#10 Posted by JayEH (521 posts) -

Man, even though MS was the first to announce Twitch stream capabilities, Sony still beat them to the punch.

#11 Posted by psylah (2169 posts) -

Preorder placed and then cancelled.

#12 Posted by Excast (895 posts) -

@jayeh said:

Man, even though MS was the first to announce Twitch stream capabilities, Sony still beat them to the punch.

That is the weird part to me. Microsoft made a big deal about the Twitch partnership and then we see Sony have the system working pretty smoothly Day 1 on both Twitch and UStream. Wasn't XB1 supposed to be the internet friendly device that was all about the online stuff?

#13 Posted by MattSchwabby (117 posts) -

XBOX ONE CONFIRMED WORSE THAN 9/11. 1080P RESOLUTION CURES CANCER.

God I love neogaf

#14 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@crithon said:

whoopse....... so uh..... dropped the ball there. So uh.... the Killer Instinct streamers that's been showcasing the game for months now? That's running on some sort of other hardware?

No they use capture cards. This is about the build in feature which is pretty strange since they even announced an partnership with twitch.

#15 Posted by jimmyfenix (3851 posts) -

@mattschwabby: Sigh i only find the off topic discussion on Gaf tolerable now. Ever since the Rob Ford saga started.

#16 Posted by StingingVelvet (569 posts) -

@bibamatt: I didn't know they were all zero points, that makes them a lot less stupid (yet still stupid). Thanks for the info.

On topic: I don't care but a loooootttt of people seem to, if Twitter is any indication. It's crazy how rushed MS seems to be on this launch when they had 8 years to prepare. Oh well, I'm sure in the end it will come down to games like it always does.

#17 Edited by MattSchwabby (117 posts) -

@jimmyfenix: It bums me out so much. I like to be excited about games. There is no enthusiasm on that site, its all conflict and cynicism.

#18 Posted by Syed117 (387 posts) -

Maybe it's just me feeling like an old man, but I don't think I would ever stream my own gameplay.

Who the hell would watch it?

The PS4 seems to have a decent amount of options and it seems easy enough to find people who are streaming.

I think there is a subset of people that it really matters to and it's annoying that it isn't available at launch. More annoying is how much they hyped it and how close to launch they announced that it would be missing.

I do really like that you can save clips to sky drive and then do whatever you want from there. Sharing to sites like youtube and facebook seems like something more people would be interesting in doing. It's a few more hurdles that you have to jump through, but a decent quality 720p MP4 seems good for people who just want to share clips with people outside the console ecosystem.

#19 Edited by cloudymusic (1099 posts) -

@syed117 said:

Maybe it's just me feeling like an old man, but I don't think I would ever stream my own gameplay.

This is the reason I don't stream my day-to-day gameplay, but I do like to stream things that I'm working on tough achievements/high scores for. It gives people a reason to watch and cheer you on, rather than just watching you stumble through a single-player campaign or play some directionless online matches or something. Like, when I get better at Resogun, I could see myself streaming some high-score runs for it, and I'd stream Spelunky all the time if that ever came to PS4.

#20 Edited by kishinfoulux (2277 posts) -

@jayeh said:

I mean to be fair Sony's whole game was all about streaming. They have a damn button committed to it. I would HOPE that Sony did do a better job of it.

This news isn't a big deal because I can almost guarantee when MS releases their streaming ability, you'll actually be able to archive videos, unlike the PS4 currently. They're gonna make sure it's a better experience. This is why competition is good though and people should stop with console wars stuff.

#21 Edited by Syed117 (387 posts) -

@cloudymusic said:

@syed117 said:

This is the reason I don't stream my day-to-day gameplay, but I do like to stream things that I'm working on tough achievements/high scores for. It gives people a reason to watch and cheer you on, rather than just watching you stumble through a single-player campaign or play some directionless online matches or something. Like, when I get better at Resogun, I could see myself streaming some high-score runs for it, and I'd stream Spelunky all the time if that ever came to PS4.

Yeah, that's true.

What's bothering me more at this point is the 5 minute limit. I know you can just create multiple files, but it's a hassle.

I think I might just prefer the ability to take a raw file and share it wherever I want. Streaming is fine, but I don't think that footage gets archived. That's the bigger issue. Having people watching when you want to them to watch can be a problem. I'm much more likely to take that file to youtube or facebook and share it with friend that way. It's more convenient despite the extra steps needed.

Microsoft needs to get the twitch support in and Sony needs to give you the ability to take those 15 minutes files off the console since you can't share them with people that don't PS4s. Or allow uploading to youtube or facebook.

#22 Posted by McTaters (13 posts) -

Not too worried about streaming at launch anyway. The quality of PS4 streams is just abysmal, so if they take the time to improve the quality of everything I think it will be worth it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.