Xbox One will function WITHOUT Kinect plugged in.

• 181 results
#151 Edited by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

@onan said:
@wemibelec90 said:

@iburningstar said:

Wow, so this is now pretty much a completely different system from when it was unveiled. As shitty as their initial vision was, I would have respected them more if they had stuck to it. At least partially so. All the changes they have made are most likely smarter business decisions, but it gives me the impression that they are radically redesigning everything in a relatively small time frame so they can be competitive with Sony during the holiday season. Hopefully all of this isn't as complicated and rushed as I'm imagining because this paints a picture where we could have another disastrous launch for a Microsoft console.

This is pretty much how I feel.

Microsoft having a Kinectless SKU at all seems to go against their plans for it. No developer in their right mind would even give two shits about it if wasn't standard with EVERY Xbox One. The only way to get some potentially interesting games out of it (keyword: potentially) is by forcing it into the homes of everyone who buys one, whether they want it or not.

They wouldn't develop exclusively for Kinect anyway. Just like how you said "no developer in their right mind" would limit their userbase (to those with just Kinects), they similarly wouldn't wall themselves into just releasing on one platform when they could easily release on two or three. The existence of the PS4 makes compelling Kinect games something that will likely never happen, or that will be incredibly rare.

Not so sure about that. Harmonix says hi, check out Fantasia. This is one talented developer MS doesn't even have to moneyhat. Not to mention MS is releasing Kinect on the PC as well, so it's not just going to be X1 vs PS4.

Why wouldn't some developers make some games that appeal to the untouched demographics that buy those kind of games where there's little competition while also converting some core gamers to try them out? Do I want to make another Call of Duty clone and compete against all the big time first person shooters and big names in established genres while core gamers will scoff at it anyway or do I want to stand out and do something unique that might be the next big thing? Take the safe route and achieve guaranteed mediocrity or take a risk and potentially become a trailblazer? Not ALL developers will choose the safe route.

While what some are claiming might be true, there's also the possibility the X1 is going to attract and be host to some number of third party developers that will be exclusive to the platform by their own free will much like they were during the PSX and PS2 eras because the X1 gives them that platform to reach their audience.

All I know when it comes to Kinect-only games, is that Harmonix has all the girls who can shake their booty as well as those who can't but want to learn anyway. Unlike the other way around, guys will follow if they're smart rather than scoff at it. Personally it won't bother me one bit if MS wants Dance Central 4 demo-ed on stage at E3 by Alexandra Stan, Beyonce and have their followers in the crowds. Then when the game comes out, throw a party at my house, clear my living room, move my coffee table, and invite some of my gf's friends over. Get some beer for me and my boys, some wine for them. Get some grub. Sit back on the couch and enjoy the show. Kinect has, by far, the most "potential" for "entertainment". Those casual gamers are cool with me. Worked great with Guitar Hero, and that didn't really involve ass shaking. Kinect allows for a serious boost in hardware over the predecessors.

#152 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Wow this thread sure has taken a turn.

#153 Edited by Sergio (2131 posts) -

@boozak said:

@alexglass: Well I was going off of peoples impressions from e3, granted that isnt the place to test such a thing.

Yeah, I wouldn't rely too heavily on E3 impressions. I remember playing the first Xbox at E3. What I saw then made me think it was going to be a terrible machine, constantly crashing and the games stuttering. They released something much better than what I saw.

#154 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@sergio: the most vocal people about the Kinect stuff ARE the ones who don't want the government spying on them. All posts on twitter who talk about that end it with " I don't want that spy box" or something of the sort.

And the range of the Kinect is now 3 feet. They have made tons of improvements to the Kinect so it can read you much better and needs a lot less space to work.

#155 Posted by Sergio (2131 posts) -

@the_laughing_man: I have no doubt that they were, but there are still those concerned with the actual make up of their living room. Unfortunately, the shorter range still doesn't help my situation out, so I'd rather not connect a Kinect, and Microsoft has just made that a reality.

#156 Posted by StarvingGamer (8284 posts) -

@brendan said:

@starvinggamer: Yeah, let's talk about how all the possibilities for the Wiimote were fulfilled...

You're just trolling me right?

#157 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@sergio: then don't. Have it set aside for when you wanna use it.

I don't see why other people are still fighting over it.

I'll have mine plugged in you won't. What's the big fucking deal?

#158 Edited by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

Wow this thread sure has taken a turn.

"Alex was here."

Woodstock 2013. LSD everywhere. Beautiful. Will never forget!

#159 Posted by Sergio (2131 posts) -

@sergio: then don't. Have it set aside for when you wanna use it.

I don't see why other people are still fighting over it.

I'll have mine plugged in you won't. What's the big fucking deal?

There isn't, which is why I disagreed with someone telling others to buy another system if they didn't buy an Xbox One because they didn't want to plug in a Kinect. It's a valid reason even if you don't adhere to the conspiracy theories. It's also a valid reason to hold out hoping they may do another reversal and release a Kinect-less version years from now.

#160 Edited by GrantHeaslip (1616 posts) -

I really don't understand how anyone could react to this in any way other than "well, okay". Why get so worked up about something so predictable and meaningless? It's still in the box, which is the important (for better or worse) part. This isn't really that different than the Wii still operating without the sensor bar plugged in. Some games will still require it, and in those cases, you'll absolutely need to have your Kinect plugged in.

The dumbest part about all of this was the way Microsoft reps insisted that the Kinect was an inseparable part of the Xbox One. They made a messaging mess for themselves for no good reason other than, and I'm being generous here, maybe driving home the idea that the Kinect isn't just a peripheral anymore. Lying (or arbitrarily requiring a peripheral be plugged in) in such a bald-faced way to a savvy early adopter audience to drive home a PR message was a terrible idea.

#161 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1588 posts) -

Yes it does warrent it's own thread. No more tin foil hat speeches.

You have no idea how happy I am people will stop making up crazy irrational crap.

#162 Edited by LiquidPrince (15966 posts) -

That's cool. Now release a version without Kinect bundled in for $100 cheaper and I'll consider purchasing you within the launch period.

#163 Edited by Sackmanjones (4711 posts) -

Have they done enough 180s to equal 360? Meaning the Xbone is just a different looking 360?

#164 Posted by onan (1286 posts) -

@syed117 said:

@spraynardtatum: Look at half the responses in this thread alone.

They literally made it better for everyone and elimated a possible point of failure for the entire machine. Now for all the people who might drop it and accidentally break it, it doesnt mean the box becomes useless until you get a replacement.

It's still in the box and everyone still has access to it. The people who cried because their tin foil hats were on too tight now have one less thing to complain about.

It's still doing every single thing they said it would do. All the features still exist, but people have the choice they so desperately wanted. Somehow they still complain.

I know right? "Wah, you're making me spend an extra $100 on a peripheral I don't need or want, wahhh"

...wait, that's actually a valid complaint. Carry on.

#165 Posted by Syed117 (387 posts) -

@onan said:

@syed117 said:

@spraynardtatum: Look at half the responses in this thread alone.

They literally made it better for everyone and elimated a possible point of failure for the entire machine. Now for all the people who might drop it and accidentally break it, it doesnt mean the box becomes useless until you get a replacement.

It's still in the box and everyone still has access to it. The people who cried because their tin foil hats were on too tight now have one less thing to complain about.

It's still doing every single thing they said it would do. All the features still exist, but people have the choice they so desperately wanted. Somehow they still complain.

I know right? "Wah, you're making me spend an extra $100 on a peripheral I don't need or want, wahhh"

...wait, that's actually a valid complaint. Carry on.

You know how you solve that problem? Since it's obviously such a huge issue.

Don't buy the console. It's as simple as that. Is someone holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy an xbox one against your will? Are they holding your family hostage and wont release them unless you show them a receipt from best buy?

Or just keep bitching about something people claim they don't want anyway. You know what kind of person does that?

Let's also discuss people shitting all over something they have never even used. The PS4 is the greatest thing ever despite you never using it, while the kinect is the worst thing ever.

Why not complain about every other product in your life? My TV does 3D and came with glasses and a set of media apps. My cameras and lenses all have features that I rarely use. Should I write to Canon and tell them I want $100 back because they built in GPS into the body so I could geotag my pictures? Maybe I should start bitching to all those companies to remove those features because I rarely use them. Maybe take some features out of everything I own.

Or maybe it's time to stop being hypocrites.

If $100 is enough to cause these kinds of reactions, maybe it's time to reconsider your individual financial situations. It's $100. I can understand that could be a lot of money for people, but this is a complete luxury item and a hobby that requires money. If you're going to end up on the street because of $100, you have bigger things to worry about than kinect.

#166 Posted by spraynardtatum (3022 posts) -
#167 Edited by Sergio (2131 posts) -

@syed117 said:

You know how you solve that problem? Since it's obviously such a huge issue.

Don't buy the console. It's as simple as that. Is someone holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy an xbox one against your will? Are they holding your family hostage and wont release them unless you show them a receipt from best buy?

Or just keep bitching about something people claim they don't want anyway. You know what kind of person does that?

Let's also discuss people shitting all over something they have never even used. The PS4 is the greatest thing ever despite you never using it, while the kinect is the worst thing ever.

Why not complain about every other product in your life? My TV does 3D and came with glasses and a set of media apps. My cameras and lenses all have features that I rarely use. Should I write to Canon and tell them I want $100 back because they built in GPS into the body so I could geotag my pictures? Maybe I should start bitching to all those companies to remove those features because I rarely use them. Maybe take some features out of everything I own.

Or maybe it's time to stop being hypocrites.

If $100 is enough to cause these kinds of reactions, maybe it's time to reconsider your individual financial situations. It's $100. I can understand that could be a lot of money for people, but this is a complete luxury item and a hobby that requires money. If you're going to end up on the street because of $100, you have bigger things to worry about than kinect.

About the only thing I can agree with you in that diatribe is "don't buy the console." Vote with your dollar if you don't want a Kinect included, but you are still free to voice your opinion that you don't want a Kinect.

It's not simply about not having that extra $100 to buy the Xbox One for some. It's about not wanting an add-on, and not wanting to spend any extra amount for it.

#168 Edited by Syed117 (387 posts) -

@syed117: alright. sorry

It's alright. Don't worry about it. I wasn't singling you out.

I think there are many things worth getting worked up about. This isn't one of them.

#169 Edited by spraynardtatum (3022 posts) -

@syed117: I think people are allowed to get worked up about anything they want. Even if it's illogical to others. Just like you're allowed to get worked up over how "Sony fans" react.

#170 Posted by Syed117 (387 posts) -

@syed117: I think people are allowed to get worked up about anything they want. Even if it's illogical to others. Just like you're allowed to get worked up over how "Sony fans" react.

That's true, but they are getting worked up about something they have the power to influence. Don't think it's worth $500? They don't have to buy it. Like I said, it's that simple.

It's frustrating on this forum because sometimes you want to have a civil discussion about something you might be excited about, but it's constantly interrupted by the same people with the same comments and the same "180" joke that stopped being funny after the 800th time it was used.

#171 Edited by EXTomar (4766 posts) -

This is a message board. You shouldn't post something if you aren't ready or willing to take dissenting opinions. Also disagreeing doesn't automatically mean they hate something but should be free to comment anyway.

#172 Posted by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

@sergio said:

I don't know why you'd say that given the amount of PR-spin you do on these forums. I'd think you'd be happy for more people to buy the Xbox One knowing they don't need to have the Kinect plugged in.

It's not just conspiracy theorist, but people with actual reasons for not wanting to have to plug it in. The depth of field has been improved so it might work in my living room now, if I didn't have furniture in the way and had a place to actually put it. I have no interest in Kinect games, so why would I simply want to have this plugged in and crammed somewhere out of the way, as opposed to simply leaving it in the box?

Ideally I would prefer a Kinect-less SKU, but this is still beneficial to me down the road when there are eventually enough exclusives I'd be interested in that would compel me to pick up an Xbox One.

It's great for you and I'm glad your happy with it. But you think wrong about me necessarily being happy with that and to really explain to you why I feel that way I believe I would need more words in order to express myself properly than you would probably find worth reading. In short, let's just say it's because we have different ideologies and beliefs about what we expect out of the console and where I hope this industry is heading. You getting what you want out of the Xbox One, would be a major disappointment to me.

#173 Edited by spraynardtatum (3022 posts) -

@syed117: Yeah this console release is especially crazy. I've never seen people get more worked up over any product ever, and it seems like everything that people are getting upset about is now changing.

I feel like that is a huge thing that people are missing. This may be one of the first products that is basically being shaped by the publics initial response to it. I think Patrick brought up something along those lines during the Bombing in the AM video thing this week.

It's kind of amazing how much feedback is playing into the design of the Xbox One. It's kind of brilliant because Microsoft seems like they're just crossing out, one by one, all the complaints that people have. Eventually, at this rate there'll be nothing left to be upset about.

I was extremely turned off by the Xbox One when they first announced it and that lasted all the way up to that dumb Enforcement United program they're going to institute. But, as they keep announcing all these reversals and changes and tweaks I can see all the reasons I was against it slowly melting away. I think that's a good thing.

I still don't like the Enforcement United program though....I don't like the idea of my experience being determined by some Dwight Schrute who will have some weird level of authority over other users. A lot of people liken it to a moderating system like forums but I need to see how it works before I give it the benefit of the doubt.

Anyways...Don't let loud mouths ruin your experience or excitement for things. There will always be loudmouths and they're pretty easy to spot so just move past them and try not to invalidate their feelings. I'll top this off with my favorite Gandhi quote "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind".

#174 Edited by Superfriend (1557 posts) -

Great. Now sell the damn thing without a Kinect. Just do it.

In other news: Microsoft is still run by a random numbers generator. It´s freaking ridiculous.

#175 Posted by Redwin (2 posts) -

@syed117: I know I'm in the minority but ill keep my kinect plugged in. I just don't want a more powerful machine, I want a full fletched different experience. I know it sounds stupid, but that's what I like and I'm willing to pay for it.

#176 Edited by AlexGlass (688 posts) -
@redwin said:

@syed117: I know I'm in the minority but ill keep my kinect plugged in. I just don't want a more powerful machine, I want a full fletched different experience. I know it sounds stupid, but that's what I like and I'm willing to pay for it.

I don't think you are in the minority of those of us who actually plan on buying an Xbox One. I think it's normal to be in the minority on a multiplatform website when there's PC, Playstation and Nintendo fans that are all dealing with different hardware. And it doesn't sound stupid at all. That's the major draw of the console and I also want games that take full advantage of all available X1 hardware. That's really the only thing that excites me about next generation.

#177 Posted by punkxblaze (2987 posts) -

Fuck it, the thing comes with the system, may as well plug it in. GUBBAMENTS WATCHIN ALL MY SHIT ANYWAY.

#178 Posted by Syed117 (387 posts) -

@redwin said:

I don't think you are in the minority. At least I hope people don't disregard that thing until they try it. That's what I'm going to do. I'll absolutely plug it in and test it thoroughly. If it works, great. If it doesn't, I can still use it for skype.

That's the exciting thing about new tech. People cry about how they don't want to play kinect games. That's fine and I'm not really interested in those either, but I like the possible ways in could help interact with everything else. The media applications and the little extras like scanning yourself into games could be fun.

#179 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@redwin: ill admit I might just be to lazy to keep un plugging and re plugging it.

#180 Edited by HerbieBug (4212 posts) -

@rafaelfc said:

That's halfway there. Now they just need to set the kinect on fire and let it die.

I am now curious what it would look like being melted in a microwave.

#181 Edited by OurSin_360 (920 posts) -

Hmm, well maybe i will pick this system up at some point. I was pretty much ready to forget about it entirely. But we'll see, by the time i would want one they will probably reverse all their policies again.

@make_me_mad said:

@bigjeffrey: Considering that they've basically been removing things from this system one after the other, with the always-online, the game sharing system, the no-disc-required thing, and now the Kinect, I'm just wondering what they actually have. I hated their policies, and the Kinect, but they've basically stripped their own system down to nearly nothing.

Video games i'd hope? What else do you need out of a video game system?

@avenlaya said:

Is anyone else kind of scared of how much Microsoft has changed the Xbox One? They seemed to have been pretty confident from the reveal of the X1 to E3, then a week later its been changing every week. It really feels like they have scratched the entire Xbox One and made a entirely new console starting just 6 months before its release.

It feels like they weren't ready for next gen and got forced into an early release by sony. I

#182 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4795 posts) -

Cool, I might pick one up when they start selling them without it in the box.

#183 Edited by EXTomar (4766 posts) -

Something many don't think about: It is now easier to buy an XBox One used. If it required Kinect and could not function without it even plugged it, that would have made trying to sell one trickier let alone buying one used a lot more difficult.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.