XOne and kinect in different rooms?

#1 Posted by kneeles (3 posts) -

Will I be able to extend the cable length of the new Kinect sensor for home theater installs? Xbox One will be in a different room then the Kinect. With the old Kinect you could use usb repeaters/extenders. A 25ft and 50ft extension cable would be a great accessory product for MS to release to go with the Kinect. Would make lots of folks with projectors happy. I have a media closet that is in my theater and its about 8 feet from the xbox but I have to run a cable up the ceiling and back down again to get to it. So its about 30 feet away.

#2 Edited by Grissefar (2843 posts) -

Oh, what you're probably asking is, can you have the Red Bull X1 Prototype and your Xbox 360 Kinect in different rooms? If not, that would be a bummer.

#4 Posted by kneeles (3 posts) -

Ha... Nope just the new xbox one and the new Kinect... but that Red Bull X1 Prototype is amazing!

#5 Posted by spraynardtatum (2136 posts) -

I read somewhere that it could see through walls if that helps.

#6 Posted by AlexGlass (688 posts) -

No idea, but I'm trying to understand what you're doing. Are you going to be swapping between your TV/projector and play Kinect games with a projector? Or is there some other use?

#7 Edited by bigjeffrey (4173 posts) -

I read somewhere that it could see through walls if that helps.

Facepalm.png

#8 Edited by kneeles (3 posts) -

@alexglass: I have a theater room. I only have a projector in this room and my av/gaming consoles are in a media closet. So the screen is far away from the xbox.

#9 Posted by spraynardtatum (2136 posts) -
#10 Posted by confideration (387 posts) -

I'm pretty sure it's USB 3.0 and proprietary which means there is no guarantee that an extension cable will work. This is a good question and I'm surprised Microsoft has not thought of this.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.