Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox

Object » linked to 9 games

This page is for the Xbox as it appears in video games.

Seeking Xbox softmod experts / advice

DMack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By DMack

Has anyone tried softmodding their original Xbox? I recently tried but I've hit a snag and I'm hoping somebody with experience can offer some guidance.

I soldered together a wire that goes from a male Xbox controller connector to a female USB connector on the other end. Apparently when you plug in a GB USB flash drive, the Xbox should somehow recognize it and format it to its proprietary FATX filesystem. I've tried 2 different 1GB USB flash drives and the xbox didn't seem to do anything. By trying different combinations of controller ports and plugging/unplugging and cycling power on the Xbox, I noticed the light on the USB drives comes on solid (instead of flashing like it normally would in a PC), and other times it's totally off.

I verified that my xbox wasn't a 1.6 model and that it had the right version of the dashboard, I picked up a 1GB GXT mobile data drive (which is reported to work on this list).
    Where does the issue lie? Am I using the wrong USB key, or did I not solder the dongle correctly?

Thanks

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

One question : why are you trying to do that.  Softmodding doesn't require any of this.

DMack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DMack

The softmod I'm trying to do is the one where you load a special gamesave into Splinter Cell / Mechassault / 007 Agent Under Fire - You need either action replay or this usb solution to get the gamesave onto your harddrive, and I don't have action replay.
    If you know a better/easier way then definitely share!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By mike

I'm not sure what you're trying to do either.

DMack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DMack

If you connect certain types of USB sticks in this way, it lets you use them as a memory unit for the xbox. - And that's how you can get the special savegame exploits on your system.

Lifehacker has a pretty thorough walkthrough here: http://lifehacker.com/software/geek-to-live/transform-your-classic-xbox-into-a-killer-media-center-299809.php - but I'm using my homemade usb dongle instead of action replay.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond

Why don't you just get a Pro Action Replay?

DMack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DMack

I'm trying to do it without spending any money, the USB key can be used as a 1GB memory unit after the mod, whereas I doubt I'd ever use the action replay again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.