Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM 2

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 05, 2016

The aliens have won and the remnants of XCOM must strike to take back the Earth in this sequel to Firaxis' 2012 reboot.

Has anyone played the console release yet?

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm dying to play the game but it doesn't release in the UK until Friday. I'm just looking for general impressions of how it performs on consoles, I was very nervous that it would be pretty broken but I have heard it performs much better than PC did at launch. Can anyone confirm?

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm waiting for Friday too, but Eurogamer's X-Com addict Chris Bratt's made a video on their site saying it runs absolutely fine and it's stable. I would try and link to it, but I'm doing this on my phone.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I haven't played it but just wanted to chime and say that a number of the bigger games publications have updated their reviews for XCOM 2 and none have really dropped or adjusted scores, so, seems like a pretty good bet so far. Anecdotally, it sounds like "the same game".

This from our friends at GameSpot

Now that XCOM 2 has made its way to consoles, these sentiments remain the same. Some technical issues have migrated from this year’s PC release: characters sometimes freeze in place while the turn progresses; soldiers can take almost 10 seconds to execute commands; and cutscenes have a tendency to drop frame rates throughout campaigns. But the layered tactics, impactful meta-game, and deep character-building are all intact on PS4 and Xbox One. XCOM 2 remains a superb strategy title.

- Mike Mahardy
    pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gatehouse: I actually found that video not too long after making this post. Thanks :)

PatODay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've put a few hours in on Xbox One and haven't run into any issues whatsoever

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By ArtisanBreads

So controller support on PC finally?

LucidDreams117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been playing the Xbox version and loving it so far. Plays well on a controller just like first one. Runs pretty smooth for the most part. Loading mission briefing is pretty hitchy though but that's just while it loads so no biggie. Looks real nice too. So far no real issues. Seems like a good port.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Playiing it on PS4 now. Apart from occasional texture and cutscene hiitches, it's fine.

Demonsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By Demonsoul

PS4 version has some very minor issues such as screen tearing and micro stuttering.........but again it is very minor and not a deal breaker. Load times are very long (but not Just Cause 3 insane/batshit crazy long). Workshop did an amazing job implementing controller support/UI which is great news. This game is a must buy in my opinion. I recommend the deluxe edition, the DLC is amazing.........especially the latest one Shen's Last Gift.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

Oddly enough I was planning on getting this and realized the deluxe version is digital only. Is there a way to purchase DLC packs separate and just buy the good DLC in chunks?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

The first one has been at the top of my backlog forever. Maybe I'll dive into it once Destiny dies down. Hopefully the second one will get a nice price drop or few by then. Glad to hear the console port is decent.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am on the final mission today, after playing pretty much nonstop in my free time for the last 4 or 5 days. It's a really great game, I love the rebellion approach, etc...but lord almighty the frame rate at times is just...head shakingly bad.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zeik

The original had lots of technical issues on consoles (especially PS3) and with all the issues that plagued the PC release at launch I was fully prepared for this to be unplayable. Surprised, but happy to hear that is not the case. It may have to go on my to-buy list after all.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode said:

I am on the final mission today, after playing pretty much nonstop in my free time for the last 4 or 5 days. It's a really great game, I love the rebellion approach, etc...but lord almighty the frame rate at times is just...head shakingly bad.

When does it crop up? I just am curious, being a PC player. I could tell the game struggles at time with physics when the destruction gets big. Reminded me of Silent Storm big time in that way. Curious how consoles handle it.

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've beaten the game and as the game goes on the load times at the end of missions gets longer and longer. The very last mission had a load time of about 15 minutes for me.

Other than that I'm enjoying it.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crono11 said:

I've beaten the game and as the game goes on the load times at the end of missions gets longer and longer. The very last mission had a load time of about 15 minutes for me.

Other than that I'm enjoying it.

15 minutes, are you serious? That is insane. I was thinking about getting this for PS4 sometime soon but maybe I'll wait.

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redyoshi: I wish I wasn't but I am. I thought my PS4 was dying until I heard that other people were having the same loading times I was having.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artisanbreads:

Explosions look like junk 70% of the time, and any AOE psionics/whatever used in high traffic areas send the frame rate to single digits. More than that though, it is just an overall kind of jank/stutter even on a bunch of cinematics, etc...that is the true bummer. Farr from a deal breaker but just left me kind of wishing it truly lived up to its full potential. Load times were around 2 minutes at most for me on Xbox. Never really bugged me, but I have always had a pretty high tolerance for load times thanks to a lifetime up underpowered PCs.

Out of curiosity, were all the PC issues ever worked out?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Definitely can confirm the lengthy load times near the back end of the game, as well as videos repeating themselves twice after the last set of missions begins. It sucks because it worked pretty well up to that point.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@sethmode: Interesting. Yeah the explosions didn't look great on PC but I really enjoy tactical games of this type with destructibility. Sounds like it was a struggle to get this game on a console, given the issues with saves you guys bring up and stuff. That's usually a good sign.

On PC it seems better, though I'm waiting for controller support to hopefully start a second playthrough.

I really had good luck on the PC version I guess on release, I only had like one bug I remember running into.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redyoshi: @crono11: The last mission runs quite poorly on PC as well, game doesn't handle 40+ aliens on the map at once very well.

Demonsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@crono11: How are the load times on the xbox one version? They are long as heck on the PS4 for me. One person mentioned 15 minutes which is insane!!! I wonder which console he was on?

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demonsoul: I can't speak for the Xbox One version since I'm playing on the PS4. And 15 minutes is about how long my load times are now that I've unlocked the later missions. It's crazy to me how a game shipped like that.

angularbanjo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

Yeah, load times are a challenge. I usually listen to podcasts or watch low-intensity TV shows while playing games, and with load times of >10 minutes, especially coming out of a mission, I keep my iPad handy. Takes a while to finish an otherwise quite long game.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I haven't noticed the load times, but twice I've encountered game breaking bugs that made me want to burn down the world.

The first was a "rescue the VIP" mission, where the VIP was locked in a cell. It was turn-limited, so after an incredibly tense period, I did finally got to the cell JUST IN TIME and opened it and... nothing. I couldn't control the VIP. Guaranteed failed mission. 45 minutes of my life wasted. Thank god I could reload to before the mission (DON'T PLAY THIS GAME ON HARDCORE!)

The second one was in what was by far the hardest mission so far. It was a story based thing where waves and waves of enemies arrived every turn and you had to destroy a thing. After playing it for something like an hour, all my soldiers suddenly lost the ability to target things. Literally, when I pressed the button to "shoot enemy", no enemies showed up. Guaranteed fail again, had to reload and play that entire mission over again (knowing what was coming, it was quite a bit easier!)

Don't buy this game in the state it's in.

angularbanjo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By angularbanjo

@gkhan: I've also had situations like that, where securing the objective was impossible within the time limit. Autosave saved my bacon. The targeting thing seems to be a bug, I've had soldiers standing directly in front of the last standing enemy without being able to see them. This being late in the game, I took the survivable damage and killed the enemy in the next round.

Right now, I'm most worried about the Avatar failing to show. I've done everything I can do, contacted every sector, fully upgraded my team and equipment, fully populated the base, and the Avatar Project counter is nearing game over.

It's a fantastic game, but these bugs are a real letdown.

Edit: ...aaaaand it just crashed again. Hard crash, no save after a 12 second post-mission load. Gah.

gkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By gkhan

@angularbanjo said:

@gkhan: I've also had situations like that, where securing the objective was impossible within the time limit. Autosave saved my bacon. The targeting thing seems to be a bug, I've had soldiers standing directly in front of the last standing enemy without being able to see them. This being late in the game, I took the survivable damage and killed the enemy in the next round.

That's not quite what happened to me. Literally, none of my soldiers could target anything, even including a stationary target that they had been able to shoot at the previous turn. Next turn, same thing, none of my soldiers could target anything, even AI that had shot at them. It was clearly a bug.

Such a bummer. I really wanna finish this game, but I don't want to run into a situation like that again, wasting so much time and energy. Unless I hear that major improvements have been done, I'm done.

angularbanjo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stuck it out and finished it last night. Seems that the increasing size of the save files pushes the load times to extremes. The two last big story cutscenes played twice in their entirety, with a completely black screen in between plays. Sort of took away a little from the tension of the climactic last fight.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.