Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

Any interest in an amateur stream?

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Wemibelle

I just started playing around with online streaming and I want to try something out that might actually get some viewers. I looked over my games and the only thing that sounded at all interesting was a new game of XCOM on Classic Ironman. I have barely played the game (just about to the first alien base) and kinda want to start over but have been needing a catalyst to get me to actually do it. I know a decent amount about the game but I'm not great at it.

Would a livestream of this be something that be interesting to watch, in your opinion? It would be just game footage and audio, since my microphone is absolute garbage. Just wanna gauge how interesting this idea sounds to other people. Thanks!

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By zels

@wemibelec90 said:

I just started playing around with online streaming and I want to try something out that might actually get some viewers. I looked over my games and the only thing that sounded at all interesting was a new game of XCOM on Classic Ironman. I have barely played the game (just about to the first alien base) and kinda want to start over but have been needing a catalyst to get me to actually do it. I know a decent amount about the game but I'm not great at it.

Would a livestream of this be something that be interesting to watch, in your opinion? It would be just game footage and audio, since my microphone is absolute garbage. Just wanna gauge how interesting this idea sounds to other people. Thanks!

I've no interest in game footage and game audio only - if I did I'd probably play the game myself. Livestreaming is much more about the caster/livestreamer than it is about the game. The only streams that I can think of that get views without commentary are those of professional competitive online gamers (myself, I find them dull as well).

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Wemibelle

@zels: I can understand that. I mostly go to streams for the commentary too but I've also watched plains just because I want to see the game itself. I would love to do it with my voice over it but the tests I did had some pretty bad quality of voice. If I had to guess, bad sounding voiceover is way worse than no voiceover.

zels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zels

@wemibelec90: I dunno, i can only speak based on what I've seen on Twitch and as far as views are concerned both (bad mic and no voiceover) will probably net around 20 viewers max (personally, bad mic > no mic).

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Wemibelle

I actually found a pretty decent mic in my mess of cables and peripherals. Can't really fix the stream quality because of my internet speeds but at least I can do voiceover!

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wemibelle

I think I want to actually do this. A stream of me playing some Classic Ironman XCOM, talking over it as I play, and seeing how far I can get. Anyone think they might want to watch it? Or ways to advertise a stream that don't make me sound pretentious and annoying?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By TruthTellah

@wemibelec90: Since the game's release, I've probably been watching a livestream of XCOM every day on Twitch. With live commentary really reflecting the thought process of moves and reaction to how brutal things can be, it's quite entertaining.

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jayjonesjunior

@zels said:

@wemibelec90 said:

I've no interest in game footage and game audio only - if I did I'd probably play the game myself. Livestreaming is much more about the caster/livestreamer than it is about the game. The only streams that I can think of that get views without commentary are those of professional competitive online gamers (myself, I find them dull as well).

Only works if the host is funny only then i can forgive the lack of skill.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Phatmac

Just do it. The only way you'll gain viewers is by trying shit out despite your resources.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wemibelle

@Phatmac: True. Just trying to figure out how to go from 0 viewers to at least a couple. Advertising on forums feels a bit tacky but I can't think of another good way to do it.

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Phatmac

@wemibelec90 said:

@Phatmac: True. Just trying to figure out how to go from 0 viewers to at least a couple. Advertising on forums feels a bit tacky but I can't think of another good way to do it.

Any advertising will seem tacky. Just gotta take it in stride at some point.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Anund

I started recording my Classic/Ironman episode last night. I'm skipping the commentary too, seems hokey to be sitting around talking to my computer. I'd probably do it if I wasn't married though, my wife would bully me mercilessly for being a huge nerd, hehe.

That said, I wouldn't watch gameplay without commentary either.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.