Any of you own the older XCOM games?

#1 Posted by beeftothetaco (419 posts) -

If so, are they any good? I was pretty young when they came out, so I never got the chance to play them. I was thinking of picking them up on Steam. Worth it?

#2 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11419 posts) -

If you are willing to deal with all of the old-game junk that comes with the first game (and just the first game. Terror From the Deep is just the exact same game but harder and Apocalypse is kinda bad) then yes, absolutely. Just look up a guide on the internet and make sure to read the manual.

#3 Posted by mtcantor (947 posts) -

Good luck.

#4 Posted by Dredlockz (341 posts) -

@beeftothetaco: I've been playing the original X-COM: UFO defense these past few days again.

It's pretty good! I think it is worth it if you approach it as a learning/research experience, to appreciate one of the forefathers of strategic videogames. But lemme tell you right now: you wont be able to pick it up and play it just like that, you will have to do quite a bit of reading of guides and FAQs, or if you have a lot of free time, a lot of trial and error.

A huge part of why this game was so special was because you really had no idea of what was going on, and had to figure it out as you went. And it's why it left a mark on a lot of us, and why you see a lot of people being all hipster about the new one being so accessible and "dumbed down".

So as long as you know what you're getting into, they are definitely worth your time.

#5 Posted by Akyho (1584 posts) -

I have XCom-Enemy Unknown on PC on steam. I have all the other UFO's lost on disc.

However I have an absolute prize. Xcom-Enemy Unknown for the PS1, it is rare and very sought after since the graphics are uplifted and the music is brilliant.

The controls on PS1 is CLUNKY AS HELL! PC is clunky but you put that on PS1! Wow terrible. And yet it is the primary way I would ever play Xcom.

Here is the PS1 version.

They are playable not as streamlined as the upcoming. Still very playable. Terror from the deep as said is like if it was a mod to put it in the ocean instead. Still good.

Apocalypse is the last Xcom to do the proper squad and base building. Its buggy and weird. Very very hard to understand a good game is underneath it, however you need to work at it more than just Xcom.

Then you get a FPS, yes they made a FPS years ago it wasn't good and its forgotten about.

Next is a Space fighter sim...its weird and not very good.

So only three Xcom games are worth playing...and only two are truly worth playing....then you just get down to one that you will play.

#6 Posted by mason (258 posts) -

Bought it from a steam sale years ago, but it never ran properly so I gave up on it.

Could get in the game, but couldn't get past incompatibility issues that made the graphics glitch out and the controls completely stop responding in missions.

Still, I loved the very idea of the game, just couldn't play. So I've been hoping for a remake like this one.

#7 Posted by wemibelec90 (1494 posts) -

I'm going to say that you probably won't enjoy it very much if you didn't play it when it was new (unless you have a love for older games). The graphical interface is quite rough and the game explains NOTHING, as was common in the day. Make sure to read up with the manual (I'm sure you can find it online somewhere) and maybe some tips and tricks if you still want to try it out.

#8 Posted by BlackLagoon (1371 posts) -

I liked them, been fooling around a bit with Terror From the Deep recently since I don't think I ever completed it. One thing is that there's some really nice fan-patches for the Windows versions of the games. UFO Extender and TFTDextender fix bugs, upscale graphics, add various keyboard shortcuts and other convenience features, and let you use mp3s from the PSX soundtrack or other remixes. The site wiki they're hosted on, UFOpedia.org, is pretty nice for information and strategy if you don't want to go into the game cold.

#9 Posted by Rayeth (1021 posts) -

I have played all of them (barring Interceptor - NO ONE SHOULD PLAY THAT GAME). I have beaten the original and TFTD (but goddamn it was tough by the end). I have gotten quite far in Apocalypse, but fallen apart at the end prolly cause I didn't establish a second base quickly enough.

The first two are classics, Apocalypse is take it or leave it. Too much micromanagement and reducing the game to 1 city instead of worldwide hurts it pretty badly. Interceptor should never be played by anyone.

#10 Edited by Morningstar (2126 posts) -

I love all the first three. Apocalypse is a bit different but still plenty good.

#11 Posted by prestonhedges (1965 posts) -

It was made in a time when people actually read manuals, yeah, but it's not all that archaic. It's not a fucking Gold Box game where * and / are used for menus. These people are just overreacting.

#12 Posted by jking47 (1207 posts) -

Only one you need is UFO defense IMHO, and look up some mods to make it more playable. Game is amazing, one of my all time favorites.

#13 Posted by Halfdeaf (70 posts) -

I actually got TFTD on Steam today and I'm playing it right now. TFTD hits a sweet spot for me that the original doesn't. Don't know why but my nostalgia is better satisfied even though I played them both back in the day.

I agree that you have to have an affinity for classics or previous experience with the game to be able to play it. I play it every few years or so and I still need to read up on it every time .
These games will fuck you over multiple times but that's part of the fun. The scary atmosphere comes from the fact that you are always afraid of losing your guys, especially your veterans. If you do decide to play them, I recommend you rename all of your guys or at least the ones that live long enough to get a promotion. That way you'll get even more attached to them which in turn makes the game even better. Sounds masochistic but trust me it's for the best.

@BlackLagoon I'll have to check out TFTDextender. Is it fiddly it get working or is it just an installer? Also does it fix the end-game bug?

#14 Posted by KimChi4U (368 posts) -

The first one was the only game I had for the PC for the longest time. I played a lot of it. A couple of months ago I went back to it, thinking that it would still be as enjoyable as when it first came out. After the 20th crash site, I started to shoot down the ufos over the ocean so I wouldn't have to deal with the crash site missions. Landing in a terror mission in a skyranger with an alien right outside the back door of the plane who fired his alien rocket launcher into said plane when you missed him and killed your entire crew was really frustrating. Loading into an alien base mission and remembering how painful it was to find the last hidden alien in those huge maps made me turn it off. It was a fun game, but there wasn't enough diversity in the missions. I'm looking forward to the new game though. Terror of the deep, the second game, was much harder and I remember wanting to punch a hole in my monitor.

#15 Posted by Dimsey (946 posts) -

The only one I ever owned back in the day was X-COM Apocalypse - which wasn't terrible, but I don't recall dumping loads of time into it either.

I've accumulated the other X-COM games digitally in various sales the past couple of years, but haven't really dabbled in them - though I'm glad to own them.

Still regardless of my relative lack of familiarity with the series I've been looking forward to the new one a great deal.

Every preview I've watched has just made me want it more.

#16 Posted by BeachThunder (11638 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

If you are willing to deal with all of the old-game junk that comes with the first game (and just the first game. Terror From the Deep is just the exact same game but harder and Apocalypse is kinda bad) then yes, absolutely. Just look up a guide on the internet and make sure to read the manual.

I'd say the opposite; TFTD is a more polished (well, save for a few bugs D:) and generally a more interesting game than the first.

#17 Posted by Halfdeaf (70 posts) -
@BeachThunder totally agree. I thought i was alone in that opinion. The atmosphere is also more interesting IMO. There's something more terrifying about attacking aliens underwater.
#18 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11419 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

I'd say the opposite; TFTD is a more polished (well, save for a few bugs D:) and generally a more interesting game than the first.

But it's also way harder and generally more punishing. Certainly, the way it actually forces you to capture aliens to get tech is neat, but UFO Defense is tough enough on a new guy without the added stresses that come with enemies that actually bother to use grenades.

#19 Posted by Chaser324 (6262 posts) -

I've lost my original physical copy that I had long ago, but I do own it on Steam now. It's still a great game, though if you're a newcomer you will need to have a little patience to learn how everything works.

Also, as someone mentioned above, be sure to get some of the excellent mods that will help you get a decent experience on a modern PC.

Moderator Online
#20 Posted by Palmlykta (193 posts) -

Some people (that never played xcom before) at my workplace has bought and played the steam versions recently (in anticipation for the new one) and they seem to be hooked.

If you like planning and tense tactical situations then I'd say that you'd definitively enjoy playing both UFO and TFTD (TFTD is better IMO). I don't even think they're that clunky to play as some others have implied, sure there are some quirks but nothing too bad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.