Are S.H.I.V.s any good?

#1 Posted by DeadDorf (388 posts) -

I'm wondering whether I should research them or not. How do they play, and what are the pros/cons versus human soldiers?

#2 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

They're basically mid-level soldiers that can't take cover, have more HP, and a few neat abilities.

Honestly, they're not bad if you're absolutely FUCKED and NEED a 6th body on the Skyranger NOW. But a Colonel will outperform it every time.

#3 Posted by Vigilance (270 posts) -

I like the armored chassis SHIV, because it's mobile cover... a squaddie can hide behind it in an open area...

#4 Posted by solidwolf52 (301 posts) -

I like it because i feel like it's more disposable. It can take a good amount of punishment, so it makes a good scout and can be left alone without fear of instant death. Pus the ability to create cover on more open maps is pretty helpful.

#5 Posted by Vigilance (270 posts) -

That is the the other thing that's great about the SHIV is it makes a good scout... immune to mind control too. Makes it a good unit to find the enemies.

#6 Posted by Jackel2072 (2269 posts) -

i use the shiv as a distraction. it can move pretty far on one turn, so if any of my team members are in a jam i roll the shiv up so the aliens start shooting that, and not my vet!

#7 Edited by Tennmuerti (8140 posts) -

I am honestly always struggling for alloys/weapon fragments too much to even think about putting them into SHIVs and their upgrades, research and soldier upgrades and gear comes first.

#8 Posted by Mezmero (1965 posts) -

SHIVs are useful if you're out of reserves. The heavy platform is a good stand in if all your heavies are injured. I have not tried the hover platforms yet. They're just taking up a slot on field missions that could be used to level up soldiers. If they could progress after missions they might be more viable to have on the field.

#9 Edited by Karkarov (3184 posts) -

They are great on missions if your heavy's are wounded, mind control is a concern, or there are cover issues. As robots they can't be mind controlled, they have equal weapon strength to heavies with the ability to do suppressing fire with research, have high base defense, and can serve as mobile cover if your only other option is a deathtrap (I mean car) or there is no cover at all.

Yes a high rank heavy with good kit will out perform them, but a SHIV also can't die. Worst case scenario you build a new one. Far easier to replace a SHIV than a Colonol or a Major. Once you unluck the SHIV's weapons or skills that's it, every SHIV that comes off the line always gets those items and skills straight out.

#10 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4976 posts) -

Wanna live? Get a S.H.I.V.

#11 Posted by BlastProcessing (922 posts) -

@OllyOxenFree said:

Wanna live? Get a S.H.I.V.
#12 Posted by Keystone_Yinzer (135 posts) -

Without spoiling anything, you run into some late game enemies that are just a bunch of jerks who just want to ruin your day with their mile long health bars. And when you are running with a bunch of colonels or near ones, you are not going to be taking as many risks in trying to face these enemies head on. The solution? Soften those jerks up with your own robotic death machine. Human ingenuity at its finest. This is especially so when you have your upgraded hover S.H.I.V. s with plasma weaponry. Pew Pew.

#13 Posted by Tennmuerti (8140 posts) -

I can see shivs being super useful in Ironman mode for sure, where all risks need to be mitigated and squad deaths are a bigger factor.

#14 Posted by Oni (2104 posts) -

I love shanking dudes so shivs are right up my alley

HAHAHA but no seriously, I spend my money and alloys on armor and weapons for my actual dudes at this point, maybe later on.

#15 Posted by Anund (922 posts) -

As the others have said, I like to have one around for driving into those scary places where you have a feeling bad things are lurking. I don't want to send something in there that will die.

#16 Posted by Hunkulese (2787 posts) -

I thought mobile cover would be super useful but in reality it just creates a grenade magnet.

#17 Posted by Pixeldemon (244 posts) -

When my SHIVs arent bugged out, I like to drive them out as a forward scout. I once had a SHIV "tank" 3 Chrysalids long enough for my human squad to kill them. The SHIV was destroyed, but it would have been grim otherwise.

#18 Posted by SomeJerk (3304 posts) -

Fully outfitted hovershivs are OK in my book! 

#19 Posted by Bio2hazard (144 posts) -

SHIVs are amazing. Expendable, powerful, good accuracy once outfitted with good guns, sturdy. Playing on Ironman classic and I'd bring one every mission if they'd stop bugging out.

#20 Posted by Tennmuerti (8140 posts) -

@SomeJerk said:

That is somewhat scary on a deep level.

#21 Posted by Fallen189 (5034 posts) -

Allow me to answer your question with a scenario I created last night.

I had an mission where I had to save a bunch of civilians but my top brass were wounded from a previous mission. There was little time left, and I needed the mission done. I sent in 6 SHIVS instead.

CITIZEN PLEASE MOVE TO THE EXTRACTION ZONE...YOU HAVE FIVE SECONDS TO COMPLY

#22 Posted by Vigilance (270 posts) -

I definitely endorse SHIVs now, having A) realized soldiers who are heavily hurt lose Will permanently and B) seen how good a hover shiv with suppression, SHIV repair and SHIV plasma is.

#23 Posted by BisonHero (6674 posts) -

@Fallen189 said:

I had an mission where I had to save a bunch of civilians but my top brass were wounded from a previous mission. There was little time left, and I needed the mission done. I sent in 6 SHIVS instead.

Hahahaha, nice.

#24 Posted by MiniPato (2743 posts) -

Hover shivs are amazing. When in flight mode high above the ground, they are pretty defensible and have pretty good accuracy with plasma weapons.

#25 Edited by Zuldim (290 posts) -

@MiniPato said:

Hover shivs are amazing. When in flight mode high above the ground, they are pretty defensible and have pretty good accuracy with plasma weapons.

This. Regular SHIVs are decent if one of your main soldiers is laid up injured, and you don't want to send a rookie on a difficult mission. Hover SHIVs with plasma and suppression? AMAZING.

#26 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@Fallen189

So like the Dalek's in reverse? Kinda?
#27 Posted by Chris2KLee (2337 posts) -

Yep, a full kited hover shiv is a great addition to a team, use it to scout out and then set it to over watch as your team moves up behind. Worked great for me.

#28 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Chris2KLee said:

Yep, a full kited hover shiv is a great addition to a team, use it to scout out and then set it to over watch as your team moves up behind. Worked great for me.

Even my Alloy Shiv is great. Hes a trooper and often draws away deadly fire.  

I did a terror mission last night with only Shivs. There was only one loss. Golaith 2 will be missed...why did that car have to blow up. (sadly my power went out before I could save and it was a moot point* 
#29 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

a $10 rookie is more "expendable" than a s.h.i.v not as useful or survivable but definitely cheaper to throw away.

otherwise i agree with most ppl and find them useful. just the cost of r+d alone is not worth it if your gonna consider them to be expendable.

#30 Posted by SeanFoster (879 posts) -

I never actually got around to researching them in my first game. I was focusing on getting satellites and better gear for my troops. Maybe in round 2 I'll try them out!

#31 Posted by Blackout62 (1357 posts) -

@SomeJerk said:

Ah, they're so adorable all battle-ready. Bet one of them is just thinking "Man I am a badass robot. Daleks? Daleks ain't got nothing on me. Exterminate this cyborg bitch."

#32 Posted by Harpell (174 posts) -
@SomeJerk
Holy shit, the defense of Earth has been automated!
#33 Edited by BeachThunder (12094 posts) -

I never ended up using any hover SHIVs, but the early iterations of the SHIVs were pretty crappy. It would be nice it they could move much further though.

Edit: Oh, and it would be nice if you could change their colour schemes and give them names...

#34 Posted by ElCapitan (402 posts) -

@envane: Yeah, but the pricier SHIV's performance (accuracy, firepower, etc.) is arguably better than a Rookie's. I could see a situation where you lost 2 or 3 rookies where one SHIV would have sufficed.

#35 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4690 posts) -

In the words of some dude from Butcher Bay: "Wanna live? Got a Shiv."

#36 Posted by Nals (80 posts) -

They are amazing, and basically required if you play to do Impossible/endgame Classic Ironman.

For a decent amount of materials, you get the ability to massproduce the equivalent of about a Major. Yes it's not as good as your A-Team, but if somebody gets taken out, or is in the hospital, or whatever, SHIVs can and will take their place and provide some solid suppression robotic justice.

They are also FANTASTIC for providing cover/scouting since they can't get gutted by Chryssalids, and allow you to advance with dashing in situations you'd normally have to dash to move forward in.

#37 Posted by Rayeth (1060 posts) -

I found them interesting, but I ended up sticking with my human squad. Once you unlock Psi powers the SHIVs start to pale in comparison to your Psi-humans. Then I just end up deciding to keep the money and spend it on plasma guns or better armor.

#38 Posted by isomeri (1317 posts) -

@SomeJerk said:

It's like I've seen the future.

#39 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

@ElCapitan: thats what i agreed with , the point was you shouldn't spend all that money and then throw them away .. literally EXPEND them , as you said you might lose 3 rookies in the place of 1 s.h.i.v , but thats still only $30

in the long term they're great .. i just have an issue with the concept of supposedly expendable units that take a week to manufacture not to mention all the other costs, compared to a $10 rookie that can be given your "best" gear with no fear of losing it.

thats another whole balance issue there , no consumable / destroyable loot for soldiers that you have to take care of more and/or use wisely due to limited numbers.

#40 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7099 posts) -
@Blackout62

@SomeJerk said:

Ah, they're so adorable all battle-ready. Bet one of them is just thinking "Man I am a badass robot. Daleks? Daleks ain't got nothing on me. Exterminate this cyborg bitch."

"Bitch, my TARDIS is built in!"
#41 Edited by Disconnect (68 posts) -

If you have a couple of high ranked snipers it is a pretty solid tactic to abuse the movement/expendability of the SHIV and move it back and forward to spot enemies, run away, spot enemies, run away, etc.

#42 Posted by ElCapitan (402 posts) -

@envane: Oh god, if they made you lose items you were wearing when you died...

Well they'd have to enable the old XCOM thing where you can pick up your comrade's equipment (How many times have you lost your support and wished you could pick up his medkit in this game?) or it wouldn't be fair.

#43 Posted by Shakezula84 (443 posts) -

I got excited when I saw I could develop the SHIV. The tactic I always used in old school Xcom was bringing along a rocket tank on all my missions. I didn't always have a good rating on terror missions (blowing up the civilians behind the wall the alien was next too was kinda frowned upon) it provided a lot of fire power and could just be purchased if one died.

I'm feeling every death in this game. Not as much as in the original Xcom, but I've lost too many operatives. While I lost my SHIV on its first mission (as well as one of my sergeants and a corporal) that SHIV could have been a captain I benched. I get attached to my men. Even the low ranking ones because I'm grooming them for the top.

#44 Posted by Lugburz (40 posts) -

Invest on a hover S.H.I.V and bring it with you on every mission, certainly great at bringing down enemies who can't shoot up. They are also a good "sponge" for ambush attacks.

#45 Posted by Delta_Ass (3282 posts) -

They can't take cover, you can't heal em with medkits, and they don't level up.

I don't know why you'd ever use them.

#46 Posted by Anund (922 posts) -

@Delta_Ass said:

I like them because I don't get attached to them. I can put my team on overwatch, send the SHIV out to scout and if he gets smoked... well, all that happened is XCOM lost some cash. There's no family back home in Belgium wondering why "Loki" DeGraf, decorated colonel sniper, hasn't come home yet.

#47 Posted by Sin4profit (2956 posts) -

@Delta_Ass said:

If you do the research you can repair the SHIVs with the arc thrower.

like said, using them as the eyes for your sniper has worked well for me.

#48 Posted by Lugburz (40 posts) -

In one mission, i used my Hover SHIV to defeat the Sectpode alone, pretty much saved my whole weakling XCOM members from losing, for some reason the Sectopode can't reach my SHIV which was right above him.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.