Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

Battleships, wow.

bigstrat2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bigstrat2003

So, I just did my first battleship UFO. It was fucking crazy, even on normal. When I ran into enemies, they just wouldn't stop coming. I had to chew through a pack of mutons, a pack of muton elites, a pack of mutons + berserker, two groups of heavy floaters, and two groups of regular floaters all without ever having a moment to breathe. I'm still convinced that the lack of time to reload and resultant need to either rely on sidearms or ignore the enemies for a turn turned that against me. Oh, and then, once I finished up that mess, I had to fight a sectopod with my wounded, barely holding it together, squad.

I won the mission, but only barely. I lost a colonel assault, a major support, a lieutenant or captain heavy, and a corporal assault. The heavy was bleeding out, I revived him, and he immediately got blown away by a Muton. My colonel assault bled out because I had no medkit left. The part that REALLY stings is that my rookie assault and my support didn't have to die. There was one sectoid commander left with like 3 health, my assault was mind controlled and my support was bleeding out with one turn left (and, as I noted, no medkits left). I had a shot with my remaining heavy, though, and he probably could have done it... except I accidentally fucking targeted the mind controlled soldier! So instead of killing the sectoid commander and walking away with only two lost men, I lost two more, and would have lost a fifth if the sectoid hadn't blown his final shot.

That was seriously the most insane mission I have ever faced in XCOM. I now have just my colonel sniper and other colonel assault (who was in psi training for the UFO... in hindsight, that might be a good thing) for ranking soldiers. All but one other guy are squaddies. I might be completely fucked, although it's normal so I can probably pull it out.

Moral of the story: DO NOT fuck around with battleships. They can wipe the floor with you unless you run a razor-sharp operation. I shudder to think what one of these would be like on classic or impossible.

Mercer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Mercer

i had a similar experience on my battleship mission. I nearly lost many of my dudes, but I managed to just barely hold the whole Operation together and get out with 4 out of the six seriously wounded and one poor Cpl. sniper that got a hole the size of a cannon ball shot through her head lol.

I had my Col. Support with 3 med kit uses and i used them up on the second battle space. Completely insane and awesomely rewarding to come out of that on top

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.