Best Platform?

#1 Posted by Meltbrain (2969 posts) -

I'm tempted to get it on Steam as quite a few of my friends have it there, but I've also got a 360 and a PS3 so what would you guys recommend?

Is the PC version much better looking or is it missing any key features?

Thanks in advance, duders!

#2 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

The answer is always PC.

Why on earth would it be missing features?

#3 Posted by bigsmoke77 (788 posts) -

PC if you have a xbox controller wired or wireless receiver, the game is so much better with the controller, and PC is 10 bucks cheaper and the consoles have no benefit to my knowledge. Not 100% sure if the game will work with dual-shock but a duder on the forums created a topic on how to connect them to a PC.

#4 Posted by Meltbrain (2969 posts) -

Well you know, a lot of games are developed on consoles first these days, even with a strong PC heritage. Good to know, though! I think I'm gonna get it on Steam as soon as humanly possible.

#5 Posted by zFUBARz (625 posts) -

to be fair it's pretty damn broken on PC, it's crashed on me a couple times, and a few times it backed out of the menu's so much that I can't get back in, and keyboard functions just stop working, i just have to alt+f4 out. thank god for autosaves. at one point every single one of my soldier s lost there skins, and visually they just looked like my one assault soldier 'all day' Jay McKay, which don't get me wrong he's awesome but makes it a lot more annoying to actually play the game.

It's still a great game, but PC is pretty busted.

#6 Posted by Meltbrain (2969 posts) -

@bigsmoke77 said:

PC if you have a xbox controller wired or wireless receiver, the game is so much better with the controller, and PC is 10 bucks cheaper and the consoles have no benefit to my knowledge. Not 100% sure if the game will work with dual-shock but a duder on the forums created a topic on how to connect them to a PC.

Totes have the wireless receiver so this sounds like a good option.

@zFUBARz said:

to be fair it's pretty damn broken on PC, it's crashed on me a couple times, and a few times it backed out of the menu's so much that I can't get back in, and keyboard functions just stop working, i just have to alt+f4 out. thank god for autosaves. at one point every single one of my soldier s lost there skins, and visually they just looked like my one assault soldier 'all day' Jay McKay, which don't get me wrong he's awesome but makes it a lot more annoying to actually play the game.

Really? That's not very promising at all. Are a lot of people having those issues?

#7 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@Meltbrain It seems somewhat random.

The only issue I've had in my 12 or so hours playing so far has been a couple of crashes which only occurred when using steam chat during a mission.

Otherwise I haven't had a single problem, but others appear to be really struggling. There are reports of console bugs as well, so who knows?
#8 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Meltbrain said:

@bigsmoke77 said:

@zFUBARz said:

Really? That's not very promising at all. Are a lot of people having those issues?

Its all Systems. Crashes have happened on my 360 version as well. 
#9 Edited by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

Only issues I have had on PC, after putting in 52 hours to date, is that the game HATES ship missions with multiple levels. The cursor will constantly fuck up and not allow you to select the tile you want to move a guy to or the layer that you are zoomed into will keep glitching every time you click a guy and force you to look at the roof until you zoom in. Other than that, it's perfect. Get it on PC. There's not a single reason to get it on a console if you have a PC. As is the case with every game.

#10 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Anyone have the PS3 version? How is it?

#11 Posted by Helios1337 (325 posts) -

20 hours on the PC version with no issues.

#12 Posted by zFUBARz (625 posts) -

Oh i'd still recommend PC first, I always do, even if only for cheap expansions, steam support and possible mods, but just making sure you knew that it could have issues.

#13 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3855 posts) -

I'm playing on 360 and it's great, but I'd still vote PC purely for eventual mod support.

#14 Edited by bybeach (4789 posts) -

I myself already bought it for PC, seems all operating systems are hit with bugs. I am waiting a bit longer before I start it up though, would like to hear more about patches and the complaints subside. And since I am no fan of the 5 star numerical review, with all that I am hearing I am surprised it got a 'perfect' score.

No matter though, the written review sold me, and like others have said, PC if you have a decent machine. Or start hearing it compared to the original Borderlands port. i tend to believe there will be more features included(including controller input) than features missing.

#15 Posted by DystopiaX (5300 posts) -

@Meltbrain said:

@bigsmoke77 said:

@zFUBARz said:

fwiw I've played for 15 hours and haven't had any bugs or crashes.

#16 Posted by pweidman (2325 posts) -

No crashes on 360 for me. Just weird camera stuff like we all have seen in the QL and the TTT too.

#17 Edited by coakroach (2490 posts) -

Just got the PS3 version and already in the first few missions the frame rate chugs pretty noticeably.

#18 Posted by AiurFlux (902 posts) -

The PC version is better just for the options it gives you, but that's really it to be honest. The control is REALLY wonky with a mouse, the camera is pretty fucking terrible when you start doing missions in alien ships, and there are bugs and crashes in the game that plague all platforms. I've had 3 crashes to desktop and a bug where I go to the first alien base and a walker enemy is completely invincible. I spent 10 minutes shooting at the fucking thing and it didn't die. My entire game is scrapped and I had to start over.

#19 Posted by BeachThunder (11832 posts) -

Get the Atari 2600 version.

I mean, is this really a question? You can do a lot more with the PC version - including playing with a controller and hooking it up to a television, if that's your kind of thing...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.